1 (edited by marshall6100 2013-11-24 04:54:42)

Topic: Babyface - Static noise through XLR outputs. A defective unit?

I get what sounds like interference static through the Babyface XLR outputs when the Babyface is powered by USB.  I have yet to try an AC adapter to see if the noise is present.  To me it doesn't sound like ground loop noise as other have described in other threads (it could be through).

The constant interference noise slightly changes in sound when the following conditions occur.

- When I scroll my mouse wheel to scroll windows.
- When I open or close windows. 
- When I move the mouse around the screen.
- I can hear changes in the static each time the input lights blink on the babyface when setting input levels.

I can also slightly hear my hard drive activity when I put my ear close to the monitors. I $&%^ you not... That is quite strange!!  The noise get worse when the breakout extension is connected. 

I'm running the XLR outs to Event 20/20 powered monitors.  The latest drivers and firmware are installed.  I get the noise no matter if the Babyface is connected to my Mac Pro or to my PC.

Help!

2 (edited by spacealf 2013-11-25 03:23:21)

Re: Babyface - Static noise through XLR outputs. A defective unit?

I don't have a USB mouse or keyboard and I get no noise of any kind in my system. I think it is electromagnetic interference and all you can do is move equipment around until it disappears or esle put up with it. With other people they have said it does not interfere with recording and the noise will not be there, but like any Class B electrical device, noise can be picked up and TV's can be interfered with and any of that because there is electromagnetic energy all around. Perhaps bad cords, bad grounding of electrical sockets not going to an earth ground or anything like high power voltage lines too close outside can all do that I suppose.

I suppose you could try to put a what they use to have in a computer and that is a ferro-magnet with the cord wrapped a few turns around it to help I think. Have to search that up on the Internet though, since most computers do not have that anymore.

A power conditioner on the electrical line (just not a surge protector) or buying perhaps a better made mouse, if that is possible perhaps.

I suppose it could be a defective unit also but I have not ran across anyone saying it was on the outputs, perhaps on an input and noise there, but crackling noise that is probably something else.

This sounds like an issue of the motherboard. The USB port is picking up noise from the graphics card. I would try using a USB hub, might help.

Regards,
Jeff Petersen
Synthax Inc.

A temporary fix for this kind of issue could be to use the BF optical out and a cheap DAC with s/pdif in. I had a similar problem which this solved. Obviously the optical cable breaks the ground loop as it doesn't conduct.

Jeff wrote:

This sounds like an issue of the motherboard. The USB port is picking up noise from the graphics card. I would try using a USB hub, might help.

This noise occurs no matter what computer I have the Babyface plugged into.  My mac, my pc, studio's mac, friends PC.  I have yet to try a USB hub, that is my next attempt at a solution.

Is this a widely known issue? Is this noise coming from my babyface or the breakout cable?

bjj22 wrote:

A temporary fix for this kind of issue could be to use the BF optical out and a cheap DAC with s/pdif in. I had a similar problem which this solved. Obviously the optical cable breaks the ground loop as it doesn't conduct.

I can try that. The things is I don't see how I should have to get more hardware to fix this issue.  Seems like the babyface should not do this at all.  So when you ran into this issue it was the cable and not the unit itself?

So...  I purchased a powered USB Hub.  When using the hub the noise is even worse.  The Babyface picks up an additional high-pitched squeal noise.  Safe to say I won't be using the USB HUB again.  Any other thoughts?

Hi,
I wonder if somebody had an answer to this issue. We are in 2021 and I still have this problem on a recent mac and a fireface UC. I can "hear" the mouse moving on my screen. With or without usb hub, with different cable… always this anoying noise. It's worse with hard drives connected.

Do a search for 'ground loop' in this forum and/or Google.

Regards
Matthias Carstens
RME

bjj22 wrote:

It does not sound that good to use a cheap dac and bypass the BF superior dac. Does it?
That is NO solution.
It is a way around that degrades the value of the BF.

Dimitris
Ryzen5 3600XT, Nvidia 1650, Win 10, Cubase 11 pro, BBF ProFS, Rode NT1a, CC121, ADA8200