Re: The official Babyface Pro Thread

mkok wrote:

Class compliant is a Mac thing not windows

Hi!
Per definition this is not correct...

Maybe it's true for the BFP, but as i've wrote - this makes me sad...

Why shouldn't it work with windows?
Anybody who can provide a profound answer? ;)

Thanks!

802 (edited by ramses 2020-11-23 13:59:40)

Hmm, when looking at the Octamic XTC, then its CC mode makes it possible to use the XTC as 24-ch audio interface.
And when looking at the ADI-2 Pro/DAC, then it can also be used in CC mode without RME drivers.

From my understanding (could be wrong, never tried it) a RME interface with CC mode should be able useable in Windows without ASIO driver (but then without TM FX which would need the ASIO driver installed).

See also this RME techinfo about Class Compliant mode of RME UCX:

https://archiv.rme-audio.de/en/support/ … c_mode.php

[...] Class Compliant mode. The latter describes a standard that is natively supported by operating systems like Windows,  Mac OSX and Linux. [...]

BR Ramses - UFX III, 12Mic, XTC, ADI-2 Pro FS R BE, RayDAT, X10SRi-F, E5-1680v4, Win10Pro22H2, Cub13

Using the BF Pro in CC mode under Windows does not make any sense. No TotalMix FX - that means the unit is severly limited in usability. No such issue with the DAC or Pro.

Also there is no such Windows UAC2 support in the BF Pro as the DAC/Pro have. There is no reason to add this and we won't do it.

Regards
Matthias Carstens
RME

Hi MC,

Thank you finally for your official statement - even if i don't understand it...

For my understanding there is enough control via the rotary an the knobs to get 2 Signals In an Out of any Windwos PC.
So i don't need TotalMix FX thatfor.

But CC works on a Mac? So i can use the BF on a Mac without driver and without TotalMix FX? Does this make sense?
Does it make sense to build an iOs APP for iPad and do not Support Android?

It does not make sense at the users point - but maybe in the eye of the company...

So do you think I'm the only one for whom it make sense?

greetings,
dd

Hey maybe it has been ask before but just a quick question. Is it possible to use the Babyface Pro in standalone Mode and power it via USB with a Standard USB charger of any kind like an normal Iphone Charger for example?

Hi,

How is BFP FS changing between +4/+19dBu? Software or attenuator?

Thanks

807 (edited by breun 2020-12-07 00:10:02)

creepels wrote:

Is it possible to use the Babyface Pro in standalone Mode and power it via USB with a Standard USB charger of any kind like an normal Iphone Charger for example?

Yes. There is a whole section in the Babyface Pro manual titled ‘Stand-Alone and Class Compliant Mode’.

Hello everyone,

I hope I am in the right place. It is my first post in the forum so If I posted this in the wrong place. Please help direct me to the right thread.

I'm by no means professional or having a career in the music industry. This is just my hobby and after a really really long time, I finally got a chance to purchase an RME audio interface. The quality is simply amazing. However, I have a couple of question hopefully someone can help me.

For all of my years recording, I cannot seems to get my audio recording right. Right now my set up is with a Shure SM58 connecting to the babyface pro fs via the xlr channel 1. I have to boost up the gain to 66db 48v phantom as well since the mic cannot pick up the sound if I have less gain than that. However since the gain increased, I also have a lot of background noise with it. My current DAW is FL Studio 20. I used the audison plug-in to cleaned up the background noise and I have to say I have never recorded such a clean sound. However, even after watching Youtube instruction of how to EQ (Fruity Para EQ2), compression and other reverb, I can't seem to get my recording sound "bright" like people recorded in their song. I've watched a guy using his iPhone to record his voice and it still sound much better than what I can do with all of my gears.

I was just wondering if someone could please guide me to the right direction of where or what plugin I can learn how to adjust my recording to sound more natural? Right now my recording with the backtrack sounds very separated even with volume adjusted similarly but my audio still doesn't get that "bright" sound or "merge" with the track. I made sure to got a screen and move away from the mic with an appropriate distance (about 7 in) to reduce the bass response.

Thank you for your help.

phamvudung2009 wrote:

Right now my set up is with a Shure SM58 connecting to the babyface pro fs via the xlr channel 1. I have to boost up the gain to 66db 48v phantom as well since the mic cannot pick up the sound if I have less gain than that.

I don’t know what is wrong here exactly, but a Shure SM58 is not a condenser mic and shouldn’t be given 48V phantom power. It also shouldn’t need 66 dB of gain before getting an audible recording.

breun wrote:
phamvudung2009 wrote:

Right now my set up is with a Shure SM58 connecting to the babyface pro fs via the xlr channel 1. I have to boost up the gain to 66db 48v phantom as well since the mic cannot pick up the sound if I have less gain than that.

I don’t know what is wrong here exactly, but a Shure SM58 is not a condenser mic and shouldn’t be given 48V phantom power. It also shouldn’t need 66 dB of gain before getting an audible recording.

Hello,

Thank you for taking your time to reply. Hmmmm that's what I thought as well. But if I don't turn on the 48v and do the gain to the max I cannot get any strong signal at all from the microphone. I'm just connecting the microphone xlr to the xlr input of the interface.

If you have any suggestion I would love to know more.

Thank you

For what purpose do you use the mic ? Singing, simple speach ?
If you sing in or play an amp, the signal should be strong enough.
And yes it can be that you need 55-65 dB gain.
A dynamic microphone does not have that much power. And sry, phantom power is completely useless in this case.
You can try to use smth like a FetHead to get more gain:
https://www.thomann.de/de/tritonaudio_fethead.htm

BR Ramses - UFX III, 12Mic, XTC, ADI-2 Pro FS R BE, RayDAT, X10SRi-F, E5-1680v4, Win10Pro22H2, Cub13

phamvudung2009 wrote:
breun wrote:
phamvudung2009 wrote:

Hello,

Thank you for taking your time to reply. Hmmmm that's what I thought as well. But if I don't turn on the 48v and do the gain to the max I cannot get any strong signal at all from the microphone. I'm just connecting the microphone xlr to the xlr input of the interface.

Ok so turn off phantom power. You have more chance of killing the mic with it on. I don’t think you should need that much gain with a sm58 but you definitely should not have phantom power on.

So have you tried plugging into the 2nd XLR input? Have you tried another cable as it could be wired wrong or be faulty. If faulty you could cause the sm58 damage having phantom power enabled.

Babyface Pro Fs, Behringer ADA8200, win 10/11 PCs, Cubase/Wavelab, Adam A7X monitors.

phamvudung2009 wrote:

But if I don't turn on the 48v and do the gain to the max I cannot get any strong signal at all from the microphone. I'm just connecting the microphone xlr to the xlr input of the interface.

Either your mic, the XLR cable or the BF Pro is broken. What you describe is not normal.

Regards
Matthias Carstens
RME

mkok wrote:
phamvudung2009 wrote:
breun wrote:

Hello,

Ok so turn off phantom power. You have more chance of killing the mic with it on. I don’t think you should need that much gain with a sm58 but you definitely should not have phantom power on.

So have you tried plugging into the 2nd XLR input? Have you tried another cable as it could be wired wrong or be faulty. If faulty you could cause the sm58 damage having phantom power enabled.

Hi,
Thanks for your suggestion. I did actually turned off the 48v and right now I have the gain at about 45. It worked now! Eventhough the waveform is a little low in signal but if I turned the volume of the recording up, It sounded fine. Thank you for your suggestion. I guess I didn't need to use the 48v

MC wrote:
phamvudung2009 wrote:

But if I don't turn on the 48v and do the gain to the max I cannot get any strong signal at all from the microphone. I'm just connecting the microphone xlr to the xlr input of the interface.

Either your mic, the XLR cable or the BF Pro is broken. What you describe is not normal.

I really wish it is just user error because I bought them all new sad.

However I used the suggestion from the people above me and I think I get pretty okay recording. My room isn't treated so I can't expect it to sound amazing.

May I ask if there is a forum or youtube video that could help me with the recording technique? I did watch a lot of youtube videos about how to adjusting vocal. However, I still can't make my vocal mixed well with my song. i.e. my voice still sound a little bit like I'm recording in a room at home, my voice sometime is too forward compare to the music etc. I've tried the plug-in like Nectar or some made in the RX suites but It still seems my voice sound separate from the track. These plug-in really help me clean up the vocal but I just still can get it mix well. I got some recording if it give you a better idea.

I came a long way before but I still have so much to learn. Thanks so much for all your help

phamvudung2009 wrote:
MC wrote:
phamvudung2009 wrote:

I really wish it is just user error because I bought them all new sad.

However I used the suggestion from the people above me and I think I get pretty okay recording. My room isn't treated so I can't expect it to sound amazing.

May I ask if there is a forum or youtube video that could help me with the recording technique? I did watch a lot of youtube videos about how to adjusting vocal. However, I still can't make my vocal mixed well with my song. i.e. my voice still sound a little bit like I'm recording in a room at home, my voice sometime is too forward compare to the music etc. I've tried the plug-in like Nectar or some made in the RX suites but It still seems my voice sound separate from the track. These plug-in really help me clean up the vocal but I just still can get it mix well. I got some recording if it give you a better idea.

I came a long way before but I still have so much to learn. Thanks so much for all your help

Firstly the sm58 is a good live microphone but a good condenser mic would be better. Saying that it should be able to get good results. I have had good results when using a sm58 in the past. First I would suggest you use level automation to get rid of big peaks and level up. I don’t know what DAW you have so what is available to you. You  should then apply compression. Why not have a look on YouTube for “getting a good vocal sound” and use of compression. One thing to note though with vocals it’s not a job where you set the volume at the beginning and hope it is the best level throughout the song. It takes quite a bit of getting levels throughout the song so it will fit.

Babyface Pro Fs, Behringer ADA8200, win 10/11 PCs, Cubase/Wavelab, Adam A7X monitors.

Hi, kind of obvious question, but still I'm curious. So, I use BF Pro, while connected to a PC as a 'normal' audio interface, I run some analog gear through 3-4 instrument ins to the main output, kind of a direct monitoring way, using TotalMix FX. Does the signal goes through AD-DA stages, or maybe there is a slight chance it stays in analog domain? I highly doubt it but still. And if don't, at what sampling rate does it go through?

MC  , the Admin did respond to my previous message but I wanted to hear from others . Is there any reason of Baby Face Pro FS which is not registered with the RME web site and not broken or nothing else happened and returned back to the seller with no defect or anything similar  , is not returnable to the seller within the return period   since this perhaps going to be the first court case in Turkey regarding the online Baby Face Pro FS purchase. Comments are welcomed.Thank you.

Hello everyone!
Sorry for my English, I use a translator)
I have a Babyface Pro FS.
1) Please answer, can the Babyface Pro FS be left on all the time?
2) If the Babyface Pro FS is not switched off, will this affect its performance in the future?
Otherwise, I express my admiration for the Babyface Pro FS. You guys at RME deserve respect!

Is there anyone on this forum? My friends, please help me find the answer to my question that I asked just above this post

I asked the same question earlier on and the answer is yes it is safe to leave on. I take it you mean powered from usb? Mine is plugged into a pc which gives power yo usb even when powered down.

Thank you kind person! I read the instructions, but I didn't find the answer there, I don't know, maybe I missed it. You understood me absolutely correctly, I connect babyface pro via USB connector. I bought it on credit, and I will be very offended if something happens to it. So I wrote to the official forum. And yet it is very strange that the instructions do not say anything for this reason. After all, this is a fundamentally important moment

mkok wrote:

I asked the same question earlier on and the answer is yes it is safe to leave on. I take it you mean powered from usb? Mine is plugged into a pc which gives power yo usb even when powered down.

823 (edited by ramses 2021-01-12 23:14:03)

> 1) Please answer, can the Babyface Pro FS be left on all the time?

Yes, but you have then some more wear on some electronic parts, the usual thing.

> 2) If the Babyface Pro FS is not switched off, will this affect its performance in the future?

No not the performance, only the lifetime of certain components, the usual thing with electronics.

Power-off devices, if you do not need them for several hours to save energy and for a little longer lifetime. But do not overshoot here, too frequent power-cycles are also not good and cause more stress on certain part of the electronic circuit.

> I read the instructions, but I didn't find the answer there,

Nobody will be able to tell you .. what usage pattern will lead to this or that lifespan, this is simply impossible.

There is no right or wrong, if you need a device then use it. And fridges need to keep a certain temperature every day...

> I bought it on credit, and I will be very offended if something happens to it.

Well then avoid unnecessary wear, but without overshooting as I said not to cause even more stress to the electronic.

Don't worry too much .. Synthax UK even gives 5y warranty based on the good experience they had with RME devices.
https://forum.rme-audio.de/viewtopic.ph … 33#p163733

So you have to constantly disconnect from the USB port. This is a way out, but it's inconvenient. And yet it is strange that such a Cool company did not provide for such a small detail. Thank you very much for the detailed answer!

ramses wrote:

> 1) Please answer, can the Babyface Pro FS be left on all the time?

Yes, but you have then some more wear on some electronic parts, the usual thing.

> 2) If the Babyface Pro FS is not switched off, will this affect its performance in the future?

No not the performance, only the lifetime of certain components, the usual thing with electronics.

Power-off devices, if you do not need them for several hours to save energy and for a little longer lifetime. But do not overshoot here, too frequent power-cycles are also not good and cause more stress on certain part of the electronic circuit.

> I read the instructions, but I didn't find the answer there,

Nobody will be able to tell you .. what usage pattern will lead to this or that lifespan, this is simply impossible.

There is no right or wrong, if you need a device then use it. And fridges need to keep a certain temperature every day...

> I bought it on credit, and I will be very offended if something happens to it.

Well then avoid unnecessary wear, but without overshooting as I said not to cause even more stress to the electronic.

Don't worry too much .. Synthax UK even gives 5y warranty based on the good experience they had with RME devices.
https://forum.rme-audio.de/viewtopic.ph … 33#p163733

825 (edited by ramses 2021-01-12 23:57:34)

Maybe its a solution for you to use an external power supply. You could use then a power strip with on-off switch.

Towards the PC I would then use an USB port which does not permanently charge.

Otherwise, if this all is to disturbing for you, get a device with a power switch.
BTW .. If this is such an important requirement for you, then you could have asked upfront.

I would not be worried too much, the device is designed to be mobile and for that use case.

I have reviewed many reviews, read articles, and everywhere the Babyface Pro FS is highly praised. Yes, I myself am delighted. The device is really made at a high level. Well, a small problem came out where I absolutely did not expect this. However, it always happens. Now it remains to figure out which power adapter is suitable and which USB cable is needed

ramses wrote:

Maybe its a solution for you to use an external power supply. You could use then a power strip with on-off switch.

Towards the PC I would then use an USB port which does not permanently charge.

Otherwise, if this all is to disturbing for you, get a device with a power switch.
BTW .. If this is such an important requirement for you, then you could have asked upfront.

I would not be worried too much, the device is designed to be mobile and for that use case.

827 (edited by ramses 2021-01-13 00:17:21)

It's not a matter of USB cable, these are all the same, it's a standard.

You need to check the manual of your mainboard/system whether some USB ports are for charging e.g. smartphones even if the computer is turned off. These ports are usually marked yellow or red. Usually can be activated or deactivated in BIOS, maybe even by a jumper. In the PC/mainboard manual you could check for certain keywords: "Sleep and Charge", "Power-Off USB Ladefunktion" oder "Power-Off USB Charging". Then simply avoid such a port or turn charging off.

This is partially from memory, but maybe it supports your investigations.

What I personally do not know is, whether the BBF Pro would use power from USB if the power adapter is plugged, but power from a power strip turned off.
That you can check easily yourself. Plug a power supply, turn the external power stip off and check whether the BBF Pro will be powered by USB or not. Power Off PC and repeat that test...

I don’t see harm in leaving it on although if I’m not using for over a day I switch my pc off at the mains which then drops power to the bf. Turning the pc off is an option. Also check in your motherboard manual and take a look in bios as you may be able to disable.

In the hi fi world the thinking is leave equipment on. Switching on and off can ware out quicker. So either way really. I don’t think either leaving on or switching off makes a big difference.

Thanks again! I will try, if I find any solution I will definitely write here. Maybe this information will be useful to others.

ramses wrote:

You need to check the manual of your mainboard/system whether some USB ports are for charging e.g. smartphones even if the computer is turned off. These ports are usually marked yellow or red. Usually can be activated or deactivated in BIOS, maybe even by a jumper. In the PC/mainboard manual you could check for certain keywords: "Sleep and Charge", "Power-Off USB Ladefunktion" oder "Power-Off USB Charging". Then simply avoid such a port or turn charging off.

What I personally do not know is, whether the BBF Pro would use power from USB if the power adapter is plugged, but power from a power strip turned off.
That you can check easily yourself. Plug a power supply, turn the external power stip off and check whether the BBF Pro will be powered by USB or not. Power Off PC and repeat that test...

Just got my Babyface Pro FS today and it has far exceeded my expectations, I previously had UAD Apollos but I can hear so much more with these right off the bat. I decided to go with RME after a lot of research and how well the company treats it's customers, how well the gear holds up, how stable it is, and definitely clock/converters are beyond what I have had. I can hear the low end a lot better especially, glad I got this before my next project. Big ups to whomever makes this stuff and writes the drivers.

SERZH MUSIC wrote:

Thanks again! I will try, if I find any solution I will definitely write here. Maybe this information will be useful to others.

ramses wrote:

Hi! Have you tried enabling eRP from your BIOS?

I have this setting on my mobo (gigabyte GA-Z97X-UD5H) and it solved my problem:

after mobo shutdown the babyface pro FS and any connected device turns off.

Any thoughts on how the headphone outputs compare with the ADI-2 DAC? It is in particular the IEM part I am interested in a comparison of.

Mesh wrote:

Any thoughts on how the headphone outputs compare with the ADI-2 DAC? It is in particular the IEM part I am interested in a comparison of.

I don’t know about the ADI-2 but the bfp gets close to running out of steam on my AKG Q701 headphones. The sound quality is good though but something to think about depending on your headphones. My guess is the DAC will have more power. The bfp is fine on my beyerdynamic dt1770s though.

834 (edited by ramses 2021-02-04 22:19:44)

Don't forget that the new BBF Pro FS has also an improved phones output (as an option ...).

"3.5 mm TRS phones output power rises from 70 mW to 90 mW. THD of both phones outputs improved by up to 10 dB. Uses same output op-amps as ADI-2 Pro now. Output impedance of 3.5 mm TRS lowered from 2 Ohms to 0.1 Ohms."

General remark: If you are unsure, just try it out, some things you just have to hear to be able to decide for yourself, your ears and listening habits. The daily operation of devices are also important aspects, whether we feel comfortable with a device or not.

Sorry I should have put bfp fs as mine is the fs

836 (edited by Mesh 2021-02-05 12:51:56)

Thanks all. I actually meant to refer to the Pro FS, so my bad for not being clear with that!

And yes, if there are no experiences with the comparison already I might have to test myself. I'd love feedback if people did test that already though as that might save me some time if the BF Pro FS is clearly behind the ADI-2 DAC FS. I actually specifically have the first version of the DAC, which measures better for headphones also. Not sure if that has any practical impact though, as I haven't compared version 1 and 2 myself.

Back on page 15 a user asked the question if a firmware update in the future could be added so you could pan a single input into the centre for the output mix in stand alone mode. I did not see an answer yet. Is this possible?

I have my guitar plugged into input 3 and it only comes out on the left channel on my headphone mix when powered by an external power supply. Connected to my Mac with USB and I can obviously pan to centre with TotalMix.

I saw the reply to use a mono to stereo Y cable and I could plug my guitar into both inputs 3 and 4. That uses up 2 inputs so ideally if there was a way to pan to centre in standalone mode that would be preferred.

Thanks.

Hello everyone,

just want to say hello. Since I was a student at the SAE institute, I wanted a RME one day :). Started in the 90's with a Soundblaster Live! :D. The Sound Font Feature was great :). Next budget solution was the DSP2000 C-Port, a multichannel I/O Soundcard with a 19" Rack I/O Panel. The 1st serious interface was a smaller Focusrite Scarlett followed by the Focusrite 18i6 in Combination with the Octopre MKII, which worked very until the optical connection crashed for some reason.

Now I'm owner of a Babyface Pro FS, and I love it. Wondering about some bugs like the automatically volume boost while working with Cubase  (10 Pro in my case), but I already found the workaround here (Is it a problem of Cubase or RME?)

I surley will have some questions. Thank you in advance for your support :)

Hello! Is it possible to set the switching outputs to only "CH 1/2 - Phones"? I use the switch button a lot and have to switch through the "OPT" every time to which nothing is connected.

So I saw a new update today for the BBF Pro which mentions: Added ASIO latency of the Babyface Pro FS

What does that mean? I don't see anything different in the Fireface USB settings or is it related to Totalmix?

The BF Pro FS used the latency values of the Pro, so RTL (Round Trip Latency) was wrong by 7 samples. And that's why nobody ever noticed it.

Regards
Matthias Carstens
RME

x-tropic wrote:

Hello! Is it possible to set the switching outputs to only "CH 1/2 - Phones"? I use the switch button a lot and have to switch through the "OPT" every time to which nothing is connected.

I second the wish for such a setting. Even if we do use the optical outputs (on Madiface Pro), I find the "OPT" output setting prone to erroneous level changes. In our setup we want to have all MADI outputs at 0dB, and have several times mistakenly changed the levels of MADI outs 1 + 2.

MADIface(s) Pro, UFX+, MADI Router
Mac mini Intel, iPad Air 2020
ProTools, Hindenburg

Hello, not yet quite happy owner of BF Pro FS here. Changed from MOTU since they resist the temptation to update their drivers to Big Sur, rendering their devices obsolete.

What could possibly be the reason Cubase doesn't receive any signal?
The track in question is armed. Activating monitoring doesn't make a difference.

BF is installed alright, gets recognized by Big Sur and Cubase
Sampling frequencies are set to 44.1kHz both in BF and Cubase
Cubase track input is set to the input (IN3) being used
TMFX gets input signal
TMFX Main out (and I) get input signal
Existing Cubase tracks are played back (SW channel 1/2 in TM)

Not sure if this is BF- or Cubase-related, so I post here for the moment being. Thanks in advance!

MBP14,2 (Intel i5 3,1 GHz) • macOS 11.2.2 • Babyface Pro FS • FW v129 • Driver v3.24 • TM FX 1.72

https://forum.rme-audio.de/viewtopic.php?id=27952

Regards
Daniel Fuchs
RME

Solved.

Thank you!

MBP14,2 (Intel i5 3,1 GHz) • macOS 11.2.2 • Babyface Pro FS • FW v129 • Driver v3.24 • TM FX 1.72

HI everyone,

unfortunately the latest driver_usb_win_1210 brought up some problems on my WIN 10 system.
Remembering the last Snapshot State does not work correctly anymore.
Returning from Sleep Mode on my Notebook, the Phone Output is dead.
I had to switch manually through some Total Mix Snapshots, at some point the
Output becomes active with loud, short max volume noise.
I returned back to the previous driver version where everything is fine.
Anyone else here to confirm?

Greets,
Stefan

I updated mine yesterday. I also noticed there was a firmware update so I did that as well. I’m not seeing any problems but I don’t let my pc sleep as it’s a desktop so I have all power saving switched off.

mkok wrote:

I updated mine yesterday. I also noticed there was a firmware update so I did that as well. I’m not seeing any problems but I don’t let my pc sleep as it’s a desktop so I have all power saving switched off.

It is not related to any power saving settings.
So you do a complete reboot at any time you start working again?
I think that WIN Hypernation Mode, where all application data is written to your storage for
faster restart is available for desktop too, isn`t it?
So you just don`t use it or is none of this specific problem appearing?

Until that case is recognised at RME, I have to refrain from further driver updates.
But that´s okay, everything is working great with the previous driver.

STJ wrote:
mkok wrote:

It is not related to any power saving settings.
So you do a complete reboot at any time you start working again?
I think that WIN Hypernation Mode, where all application data is written to your storage for
faster restart is available for desktop too, isn`t it?
So you just don`t use it or is none of this specific problem appearing?

Until that case is recognised at RME, I have to refrain from further driver updates.
But that´s okay, everything is working great with the previous driver.

Ok I have now noticed a problem but not exactly the same. A couple of times now (not repeatable so random) I have been mixing and turned down or up the volume using the bfp fs wheel. On one occasion the volume jumped up as I just moved the wheel slightly which was a shock. On another occasion I touched the wheel to increase volume and it dropped down. So I agree there does seem to be a problem with this driver. I think I will roll back also and see if it happens again. Have you reported the problem?

Thanks for the info. We are examining this and already found that the latest firmware 129 for the BF Pro FS does not work as expected. The Pro works with that firmware. A fix will come. It is not yet clear if driver 1.210 has another issue or if this is caused by the firmware alone.

Regards
Matthias Carstens
RME