1 (edited by Usa 2021-03-17 09:41:25)

Topic: UFX suddenly has no output on USB file playback

For a long time, I've used a USB flash drive for storing files on it, and use my UFX to play it back, never had any problems with it.

Yesterday, when I wanted to play back a file for a customer, it suddenly didn't work. It showed all the files on the drive, I was able to select them and play them, and the counter also indicated that they were playing back, but I could hear no sound at all.

Other sound sources and sound coming from my computer via FireWire still worked 100% perfectly.
I was looking through TotalMix and the manual, but didn't find anything that involves this problem.

I regularly switch between two different operating systems, and at times get messages after boot-up that the configuration has changed and maybe it has screwed up some of the settings because of this.… but I reloaded my workspace and it still didn't help, so I'm wondering what I might be missing here.

Any input on this would be greatly appreciated!

EDIT: I just found it, the play channel on the interface was set to OFF for some reason, I put it back to 1/2 on the interface, and it works again. Now I have a question: Is there a way to see/change this in TotalMix, or do I have to check this on the device itself?

2 (edited by waedi 2021-03-17 12:48:33)

Re: UFX suddenly has no output on USB file playback

User manual page 99

M1-Sequoia, Madiface Pro, Digiface USB, Babyface silver and blue

Re: UFX suddenly has no output on USB file playback

Usa wrote:

For a long time, I've used a USB flash drive for storing files on it, and use my UFX to play it back, never had any problems with it.

Yesterday, when I wanted to play back a file for a customer, it suddenly didn't work. It showed all the files on the drive, I was able to select them and play them, and the counter also indicated that they were playing back, but I could hear no sound at all.

Other sound sources and sound coming from my computer via FireWire still worked 100% perfectly.
I was looking through TotalMix and the manual, but didn't find anything that involves this problem.

I regularly switch between two different operating systems, and at times get messages after boot-up that the configuration has changed and maybe it has screwed up some of the settings because of this.… but I reloaded my workspace and it still didn't help, so I'm wondering what I might be missing here.

Any input on this would be greatly appreciated!

EDIT: I just found it, the play channel on the interface was set to OFF for some reason, I put it back to 1/2 on the interface, and it works again. Now I have a question: Is there a way to see/change this in TotalMix, or do I have to check this on the device itself?

You can check in TotalMix FX "Record View" whether channels are armed for DUREc recording or for playback, see screenshot.
If "Record View" is not visible / hidden, then collapse other submenues above to make room for it to appear ...

https://www.dropbox.com/s/o6gcugo986z4oex/2021-03-17%2012_40_43-TM%20FX%20Record%20View.jpg?dl=1

You are right those settings are being saved in the workplace.

I would suggest that you update your settings and save a new workspace file.
I would also suggest that you save this into a "Workspace Quick Select" slot (one of the 30), e.g. #1.
This saves snapshot and workplace settings.
And there is a shortcut ALT-1 which you can use to reload such settings quickly.

I also recommend to check the settings in TM FX preferences (F2):
it might help further to activate:
[ x ]  Always init DSP devices with TotalMix FX settings
By this you have always a defined state when starting your computer and logging in.

You could also check whether
Snapshot -> Do not load : is set to "---"
Then you will also restore the volume when restoring snapshots which can be a very nice thing to start with a defined and tolerable level.

BR Ramses - UFX III, 12Mic, XTC, ADI-2 Pro FS R BE, RayDAT, X10SRi-F, E5-1680v4, Win10Pro22H2, Cub13