1 (edited by Lerian 2021-03-26 20:30:52)

Topic: Loopback not working with ASIO playback + Screen recording [Solved]

I am trying to record a screen capture when i play/jam in my DAW, but it doesnt record audio when using ASIO in DAW. It works if i use DirectX but with huge latency. Playback works just fine, i can route to any outs, but nothing comes back. Even tried to route everything to everything, nothing loopbacks with ASIO. Is this how its supposed to work or am i missing something? Im using Babyface Pro on Windows10.

Thank you.

Re: Loopback not working with ASIO playback + Screen recording [Solved]

And what is ASIO and DirectX ?
Must be a Windows related thing.
We mac-users have nothing, the RME interface just works fine with RME driver, nothing else to choose.

What are all those drivers ?
ASIO
DirectX
some others ?
No Core-audio ?

M1-Sonoma, Madiface Pro, Digiface USB, Babyface silver and blue

Probably no point in answering if you have a Mac and no idea what the question means!

ASIO is the driver used for just about any interface on windows within a DAW or application that supports it.

I suspect you are not using TotalMix correct but you need to be more specific and answer the questions lightbox has asked. The loopback function is key here. I thought direct x disappeared years ago?

Babyface Pro Fs, Behringer ADA8200, win 10/11 PCs, Cubase/Wavelab, Adam A7X monitors.

Yes, mac users only use core audio while windows uses ASIO for low latency monitoring/recording. The problem is windows-specific.

lightbox wrote:

1. What software do you use to record the screen capture?
2. Which hardware output of the Babyface Pro have you configured for Loopback?

1. Tried multiple recorders, but its not about that, it just doesnt get any signal on the channel.
2. All outputs. Using DirectSound on the very same channel work just fine, when switched to ASIO it doesnt work. I have the same configuration, the only difference is the driver. DirectSound works, ASIO doesnt.

I was surprised from reading of DirectX, I remember this from Win98, thought it is not in use since then.
Wondering if there is some more to choose beside Asio and DirectX ?
Maybe Asio4all ?

waedi wrote:

I was surprised from reading of DirectX, I remember this from Win98, thought it is not in use since then.
Maybe Asio4all ?

DirectX will always be part of windows, is the driver that allows apps to use hardware resources in a more direct way.

No, Asio4All would behave exactly like RME Asio. The problem i think is in TMFX.
Can anyone else replicate my problem? Thanks.

Hello!

If your screen capturing app does not support ASIO, then you need to configure the respective Loopback Input(s) as WDM Device!
Which Output are you using for Loopback?

RME Gear: Digiface USB, HDSP 9632

8 (edited by ramses 2021-03-22 09:47:39)

Lerian wrote:
waedi wrote:

Maybe Asio4all ?

DirectX will always be part of windows, is the driver that allows apps to use hardware resources in a more direct way.

No, Asio4All would behave exactly like RME Asio. The problem i think is in TMFX.
Can anyone else replicate my problem? Thanks.

Lets leave out ASIO4ALL, this has nothing to do with it and no ASIO4ALL is not smth like an ASIO driver, its a cheap solution to create workarounds based on bad planning (e.g. to integrate USB Mics and alike), but is a not supported solution.

You didn't detail your setup enough to be able to replicate it and didn't even answer lightbox's post #2 "What software do you use to record the screen capture?"

I think the following would be helpful:
- name and version of the software that you are using
- screenshot of the audio settings and maybe also of TM FX routing
- something like a drawing or better explanation what you want to achieve exactly

Maybe its only me, but I have problems to understand what you want to achieve exactly and what routing you configured up to now.

@MetalHeadKeys: thanks, yes could go into that direction..

BR Ramses - UFX III, 12Mic, XTC, ADI-2 Pro FS R BE, RayDAT, X10SRi-F, E5-1680v4, Win10Pro22H2, Cub13

9 (edited by Lerian 2021-03-22 10:20:54)

Ok, my mistake, i guess the screen recording software didnt supported ASIO, so i tried using playing in ableton live and tried to record with reaper and it works.

It seems that no screen recording software can record asio sound, it can only be done through some 3rd party software that can route asio to wdm.

I was hoping that TMFX loopback can work regardless of the audio output used, once its back in the input should be available to both drivers - wdm, and asio. I guess my common sense wasnt that common after all.

10 (edited by ramses 2021-03-22 10:30:36)

Interesting, never stumbled over that, so the question is whether loopback is only active inside of ASIO driver or whether a WDM driver would also be able to pick up the loopback'd signal.

IF loopback would be like plugging a physical cable from the output to the corresponding input, then it should work regardless whether you try to read from a HW Input through ASIO or WDM.

Maybe in your case plugging a physical cable could be a solution then?

Maybe RME can help here.
Can a loopbacked signal be accessed on HW input through ASIO and WDM at the same time ?

Example:
- HW Output AN1+2, loopback active
- WDM device for AN1/2 created
Is it possible to access loopbacked signal at HW Input AN 1/2 through ASIO and WDM ?

BR Ramses - UFX III, 12Mic, XTC, ADI-2 Pro FS R BE, RayDAT, X10SRi-F, E5-1680v4, Win10Pro22H2, Cub13

11 (edited by Lerian 2021-03-22 12:16:31)

ramses wrote:

IF loopback would be like plugging a physical cable from the output to the corresponding input, then it should work regardless whether you try to read from a HW Input through ASIO or WDM.

My thoughts exactly. The thing is, when playback is through WDM it works recording using loopback and asio.

ramses wrote:

Can a loopbacked signal be accessed on HW input through ASIO and WDM at the same time ?

Example:
Is it possible to access loopbacked signal at HW Input AN 1/2 through ASIO and WDM ?

Its not possible. When playing through ASIO, the only way i can record is also through ASIO. When playing through WDM on the other hand, i get the signal. I can also play ASIO and WDM at the same time on that particular channel, but it only loopbacks and records WDM when using a screen recorder.

So its not that intuitive, i mean loopback should emulate hardware loopback to my understanding, but apparently it doesnt.

I too hope RME can help.

12 (edited by Lerian 2021-03-22 12:18:05)

Found an workaround for OBS recorder/streamer via a plugin, havent tested it yet but ppl say it works.

https://obsproject.com/forum/threads/as … ost-491328

Also a solution using ReaStream plugin from Reaper https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rxZ3o1aTyPY

Still.. would be much more elegant to have a native RME solution. If possible, ofc.

13 (edited by Lerian 2021-03-22 14:11:19)

lightbox wrote:

Now that you finally mentioned OBS ... here's how to do it without any plugin.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ykab5v1lUS0

Yes, would have been great if worked like that. Thats what i did first. But doesnt work for me (check the OBS meter). Tried using playback from Reaper and Ableton Live, same result.

https://i.imgur.com/EwoQkNy.png

Using TMFX version 1.67. Not sure what firmware version, updated it about a month or two ago.

lightbox wrote:

You're running Windows 10, which is fine. Update OBS and update TotalMix FX first, both are old versions. Once you've done that, post a screenshot of the "Advanced Audio Properties" in OBS and also another screenshot of  OBS "Settings / Audio" and OBS "Settings / Output / Recording". For the last screenshot, you need to switch "Settings / Output / Output Mode" to Advanced.

Updated tmfx, with the same result. OBS is latest version - 26.1.1

https://i.imgur.com/CaVjUhX.png

https://i.imgur.com/8cw8vAo.png

Lerian wrote:
ramses wrote:

My thoughts exactly. The thing is, when playback is through WDM it works recording using loopback and asio.

ramses wrote:

Example:

Its not possible. When playing through ASIO, the only way i can record is also through ASIO. When playing through WDM on the other hand, i get the signal. I can also play ASIO and WDM at the same time on that particular channel, but it only loopbacks and records WDM when using a screen recorder.

So its not that intuitive, i mean loopback should emulate hardware loopback to my understanding, but apparently it doesnt.

I too hope RME can help.

Hmm, can you try a different test?

i.e: set Outputs AN3/4 for DAW 's Outputs
     Select Outputs AN1/2, raise Software Playback 3/4, activate Loopback on AN1/2

Can you, then, record everything in the screen-capturing app, using Inputs 1/2?

MetalHeadKeys wrote:

Hmm, can you try a different test?

i.e: set Outputs AN3/4 for DAW 's Outputs
     Select Outputs AN1/2, raise Software Playback 3/4, activate Loopback on AN1/2

Can you, then, record everything in the screen-capturing app, using Inputs 1/2?

Unfortunately it doesn't work either..

Is this all always with trying OBS ?
How about try another software ?
Vmix ore Wirecast ?

waedi wrote:

Is this all always with trying OBS ?
How about try another software ?
Vmix ore Wirecast ?

Also tried with:

Icecream screen recorder - working directsound, asio not working
Captura - working directsound, asio not working

Those two above can record a portion of the screen which i was interested in.

It is not for livestreaming ?
How about recording the audio in a DAW seperate and the screen capturing with a videosoftware without audio and composit the video with sound afterwards with film maker software ?
It is more work but the result is much better probably ?

Managed to make it work in a weird, unexpected way. It seems that windows does its own separate routing which prevent RME driver to do its thing. Had to check "listen to this device" on my loopback channel then dummy route it to a software channel inside windows sound control panel.

https://i.imgur.com/6y0sOMK.png

Congratulations ! This was indeed unexpected !

+1

I can't get it, either.
I'm glad that it works and the problem got solved, but I can't see the reasoning behind it!

23 (edited by Lerian 2021-03-24 06:59:39)

The default can be whatever, it was Speakers before (AN 1/2) now i switched it to ADAT 7/8.

You don't have headphones in that setting? I didn't used it before, but i assume is there to monitor the input. So basically windows gets the signal on the input, it just doesn't pass it on to obs or other apps unless its routed through a wdm software channel. As you can see in the image ASIO bypass the windows mixer.

Can you post an image of your playback/recording windows while playing through asio with loopback activated? Thanks.

https://i.imgur.com/VOFBIDt.png

When i uncheck listen to this device and playing through asio it doesn't show me any signal on the recording meter even though the loopback is activated. If i switch to directsound i get the signal.

https://i.imgur.com/EMiWDdL.png

Once i tick it, i have signal on both recording tab on ADAT 7/8 and also on playback tab on AN 3/4

https://i.imgur.com/tCaoJRD.png

Now it sounds logical since asio bypass the windows software mixer. Meaning that the loopback function works at the software level. Maybe your Adobe Audition playbacks both on ASIO and DirectSound at the same time? I'm confused.

Things got really weird now. Using the very same settings as i did when i managed to make it work, doesnt work anymore.

25 (edited by Lerian 2021-03-26 19:19:33)

lightbox wrote:

3. As you can see in the screenshot below, in TotalMix FX, I have configured/assigned hardware outputs AN 1/2 as Main output and AN 3/4 as Phones 1 output.

I use S/PDIF output since i have an external DAC. Should not impact other routings whatsoever.

lightbox wrote:

4. Hardware output ADAT 7/8 is set to Loopback.

Mine too.

lightbox wrote:

5. in all of the above 3 submixes I have upped the software playback AN 1/2 fader to 0dB, so I can "hear" it on speakers, headphones AND the configured loopback.

I use the Matrix, can you post a screenshot of your matrix? Ctrl+N > Matrix View

lightbox wrote:

6. In the Windows sound settings "Playback", the RME Babyface Pro's AN 1/2 (Speaker) is the "Default Device". Keep in mind here that this again translates to the "Software Playback" section of TotalMix FX. Windows can't feed RME's hardware outputs directly!

I tried all the combinations, should not matter what is set as default as long as the routing is there. I set up my output channels in Reaper anyway, which totally bypass the windows mixer.

lightbox wrote:

8. In the Windows sound settings "Recording", ALL the available inputs are set to "Playback through this device: Default Playback Device" (in Properties / Listen). That's likely why I don't ever have to tick the "Listen to this device" checkbox.

Actually that setting is dependent on the "Listen to this device" box. If its unchecked, it doesnt matter.

lightbox wrote:

9. All this sounds like complicated but it really isn't. All I did to set this up was to make sure the correct "Playback" and "Recording" channels are set to be the "Default Device". Maybe it got a bit mixed up in your efforts to fix the issue. smile

Yes, its not complicated at all, it just doesnt want to work in my case for some reason that i can't grasp. And that fact that it DID worked with "Listen to this device" box checked and now doesn't work anymore... makes me laugh and mad at the same time big_smile

FINALLY! I found the reason why it worked and then it didn't worked anymore. I disabled access to microphone in windows settings. Apparently it applies also to all the inputs.

https://i.imgur.com/Rfgep4x.png

lightbox can you please post a screenshot of your microphone settings page? Thanks!

Ok, looks like i managed to make it work both ways.

I had to give access to apps to use my microphone. So there are two settings.

1. The one above - microphone access for this device must be on - which alone needs "listen to this device" checkbox to be on, and

2. "allow your desktop apps to access your microphone" which will make it work without the "listen to this device" checkbox

Looks like it was windows all along.

https://i.imgur.com/XW7TcqN.png

Thank you guys for the help!

I have made the settings here. what should i do It just doesn't happen with this sound card. everything is up to date.

You haven't been simplifying what people use most for years. look at that instead of making music up there we should almost be a coder. it's not nice

30 (edited by hicazyureklisite 2022-07-25 13:03:54)

I just installed my windows but rme is giving trouble.
https://ibb.co/KF6tY80
https://ibb.co/WWrzfzL
https://ibb.co/nz9mbrv
https://ibb.co/Ytk00WR