851

Re: The official Babyface Pro Thread

mkok wrote:

I updated mine yesterday. I also noticed there was a firmware update so I did that as well. I’m not seeing any problems but I don’t let my pc sleep as it’s a desktop so I have all power saving switched off.

It is not related to any power saving settings.
So you do a complete reboot at any time you start working again?
I think that WIN Hypernation Mode, where all application data is written to your storage for
faster restart is available for desktop too, isn`t it?
So you just don`t use it or is none of this specific problem appearing?

Until that case is recognised at RME, I have to refrain from further driver updates.
But that´s okay, everything is working great with the previous driver.

852

Re: The official Babyface Pro Thread

STJ wrote:
mkok wrote:

I updated mine yesterday. I also noticed there was a firmware update so I did that as well. I’m not seeing any problems but I don’t let my pc sleep as it’s a desktop so I have all power saving switched off.

It is not related to any power saving settings.
So you do a complete reboot at any time you start working again?
I think that WIN Hypernation Mode, where all application data is written to your storage for
faster restart is available for desktop too, isn`t it?
So you just don`t use it or is none of this specific problem appearing?

Until that case is recognised at RME, I have to refrain from further driver updates.
But that´s okay, everything is working great with the previous driver.

Ok I have now noticed a problem but not exactly the same. A couple of times now (not repeatable so random) I have been mixing and turned down or up the volume using the bfp fs wheel. On one occasion the volume jumped up as I just moved the wheel slightly which was a shock. On another occasion I touched the wheel to increase volume and it dropped down. So I agree there does seem to be a problem with this driver. I think I will roll back also and see if it happens again. Have you reported the problem?

853

Re: The official Babyface Pro Thread

Thanks for the info. We are examining this and already found that the latest firmware 129 for the BF Pro FS does not work as expected. The Pro works with that firmware. A fix will come. It is not yet clear if driver 1.210 has another issue or if this is caused by the firmware alone.

Regards
Matthias Carstens
RME

854 (edited by mkok 2021-03-13 14:44:45)

Re: The official Babyface Pro Thread

Ah right thanks. Is it ok to roll firmware back? I still have 127 in my downloads. I think that is what I had on last

855

Re: The official Babyface Pro Thread

Sure.

Regards
Matthias Carstens
RME

856

Re: The official Babyface Pro Thread

Thanks

857

Re: The official Babyface Pro Thread

What's the mic EIN for the babyface pro fs?

I keep seeing "exceptional EIN" in the marketing material, but no actual number anywhere in the specs.

About to order one and I don't like surprises.

858

Re: The official Babyface Pro Thread

EIN ? What do you mean ?
Ein-gang - Input ? On the backside are two XLR mic inputs
Ein-schalten - switching on (switching on phantompower) ? Switching on phantompower is in Totalmix inside the input channel, to open via wrench tool symbol
Ein-s - number one ? Mic input 1 is on the left side.
You will be surprised how great this interface is, just to prepare you.

M1-BigSur, Babyface (soundstudio-to-go), started with PST8, Multiface I, Multiface II, PCIeMadi

859

Re: The official Babyface Pro Thread

waedi wrote:

EIN ? What do you mean ?
Ein-gang - Input ? On the backside are two XLR mic inputs
Ein-schalten - switching on (switching on phantompower) ? Switching on phantompower is in Totalmix inside the input channel, to open via wrench tool symbol
Ein-s - number one ? Mic input 1 is on the left side.
You will be surprised how great this interface is, just to prepare you.

Equivalent Input Noise. It's a common abbreviation.

Quoting from the product page:

Two digitally controlled preamps provide individually switchable 48V phantom power. These circuits feature a gain range of 76 dB, adjustable in steps of 1 dB, including a relay-driven PAD, resulting in exceptional EIN (Equivalent Input Noise) performance as well as line overload protection, and enough gain for even the lowest level microphones.

Re: The official Babyface Pro Thread

I suppose that is saved because of higher effort in measuring. I might be wrong, but .. with the high SNR values of today, EIN is actually quite uninteresting, isn't it ?

https://starkeypro.com/research/researc … noise.html

BR
Ramses
X10SRi-F, E5-1650v4, Win10Pro20H2, Cub11Pro, UFX+ (v0.9735), XTC, 12Mic, ADI-2 Pro FS R BE

861

Re: The official Babyface Pro Thread

MC wrote:

Thanks for the info. We are examining this and already found that the latest firmware 129 for the BF Pro FS does not work as expected. The Pro works with that firmware. A fix will come. It is not yet clear if driver 1.210 has another issue or if this is caused by the firmware alone.

I notice there is a new firmware version 130. Does this fix the issue and is 1.210 working with this? Thanks

Re: The official Babyface Pro Thread

mkok wrote:
MC wrote:

Thanks for the info. We are examining this and already found that the latest firmware 129 for the BF Pro FS does not work as expected. The Pro works with that firmware. A fix will come. It is not yet clear if driver 1.210 has another issue or if this is caused by the firmware alone.

I notice there is a new firmware version 130. Does this fix the issue and is 1.210 working with this? Thanks

From the README in the ZIP archive this has been fixed in v130, was this your problem?

This Flash Update Tool will update the internal firmware to the following versions:
Babyface Pro & FS: 130

Update 03/17/2021: Updates Babyface Pro and Babyface Pro FS to version 130. Fix of MIDI Gain Control in v129 did not work correctly with the FS version.

BR
Ramses
X10SRi-F, E5-1650v4, Win10Pro20H2, Cub11Pro, UFX+ (v0.9735), XTC, 12Mic, ADI-2 Pro FS R BE

863

Re: The official Babyface Pro Thread

V 130 is now online, it fixes the jumpy gain pots in TM FX ins 1-4  for the BF Pro FS as reported.

Regards
Matthias Carstens
RME

864

Re: The official Babyface Pro Thread

Ok thanks

865

Re: The official Babyface Pro Thread

ramses wrote:

I suppose that is saved because of higher effort in measuring. I might be wrong, but .. with the high SNR values of today, EIN is actually quite uninteresting, isn't it ?

https://starkeypro.com/research/researc … noise.html

It was deemed interesting enough to be included in the marketing material, so I'd expect to see the actual number too.

I'm sure the number is perfectly fine, even if "exceptional" was a slight exaggeration, and I don't particularly care if it's -128 or -129, but I do care about transparency. It's actually the main reason I decided on an RME interface after very extensive research.

It was a breath of fresh air reading this interface's manual and specs. Most other manufacturers seem embarrassed by their specs. Can't explain why they'd be hiding them in their spec sheets otherwise. And they're not willing to disclose crucial specs even when directly requested. The hidden specs are some kind of policy apparently.

Mic EIN was the only such spec here, which struck me as odd, considering it was specifically mentioned in all marketing material without a number to back it up. And since it was declared "exceptional", I'm hoping it was at the very least measured.

So, do we have a number? For peace of mind if nothing else.

866

Re: The official Babyface Pro Thread

Seriously now? Nobody's gonna answer this simple question? This is the official Babyface Pro thread on the official rme forum right? I'm not asking in the wrong place I hope.

It's a standard spec that's provided by almost every other manufacturer. It's labeled "exceptional" on your website. Yet nobody actually measured it? Or they did and thought it's better kept secret? Not sure which would be worse actually.

Needless to say this is very disappointing.

867

Re: The official Babyface Pro Thread

stej wrote:

Seriously now? Nobody's gonna answer this simple question? This is the official Babyface Pro thread on the official rme forum right? I'm not asking in the wrong place I hope.

This is a user forum. If you want an official answer from RME, it might be better to contact RME support: https://www.rme-audio.de/support.html

868

Re: The official Babyface Pro Thread

breun wrote:

This is a user forum. If you want an official answer from RME, it might be better to contact RME support: https://www.rme-audio.de/support.html

I was under the impression RME representatives were monitoring and responding to these forums. I followed your suggestion and submitted a ticket about it. I'll be sure to report back the official answer once I receive it.

869

Re: The official Babyface Pro Thread

stej wrote:

I was under the impression RME representatives were monitoring and responding to these forums.

Some RME employees are indeed hanging around here, but there is of course a good chance that they miss a question buried somewhere in an 18-page thread. smile

870

Re: The official Babyface Pro Thread

Said I'd report back, so for anyone else interested, sadly I have no new info.

Got a one liner response pointing me to the published user manual for any specs. Of course the manual does not list this particular spec, which was the whole point, so I had to repeat the question.

Have yet to get another response and frankly I'm not holding my breath. Felt as much talking to a wall, as with every other manufacturer's support.

I just don't get it. Why would you advertise a spec you're not disclosing.

871

Re: The official Babyface Pro Thread

Does it matter? I haven’t seen anyone else respond to this. I have the bfp fs and I must admit I don’t really care.

872

Re: The official Babyface Pro Thread

mkok wrote:

Does it matter? I haven’t seen anyone else respond to this. I have the bfp fs and I must admit I don’t really care.

It's a matter of principle mostly. And although I'm apparently the only one interested in specs here, you never know who might be searching for it eventually. Would be nice to have a number for reference.

873

Re: The official Babyface Pro Thread

For me it's wasted time, because a single useful EIN value does not exist. You would need a whole bunch of numbers, ideally a graphic with a curve to see the real behaviour at all gains plus different input impedances.

So take this: -128.5 dBu A weighted, 22 kHz Bandwidth, max gain 65 dB, 150 Ohm.

Regards
Matthias Carstens
RME

Re: The official Babyface Pro Thread

Since my feature request for the Babyface Pro in another thread caused some confusion (and was indeed a bit off-topic in this thread) I will repeat it here:

I just noticed that on the Babyface Pro, the volume knob doesn't have a fixed stepping of 0.5dB increments across the entire range from +6dB to -65dB. I wish I had a setting to switch between the current behavior and a fixed stepping of 0.5dB.

Here's why:
I have setup/gain-staged my system (main reference monitors) in a way that gives me perfect mastering "volume" (85dB SPL) at -30.0dB. It's that low cause I need enough "headroom" for what I call "party mode". When a client comes and wants to listen really LOUD, I still have enough output gain reserve to make it happen (in extreme cases I could still go up to 115dB SPL for a near deaf guitarist, hehe).
With this being said, the stepping from the Babyface Pro volume wheel in the -30dB area is too coarse (1.5dB steps).
I don't mind that the current behavior is the default. But it would be very helpful if there was a simple toggle switch in the settings to switch it to fixed 0.5dB stepping across the entire range.

Re: The official Babyface Pro Thread

Please help. My babyface pro fa will not work, it says “driver error” and just operates as a speaker device. I reinstalled and reset my pc but nothing is working..

876

Re: The official Babyface Pro Thread

MC wrote:

For me it's wasted time, because a single useful EIN value does not exist. You would need a whole bunch of numbers, ideally a graphic with a curve to see the real behaviour at all gains plus different input impedances.

So take this: -128.5 dBu A weighted, 22 kHz Bandwidth, max gain 65 dB, 150 Ohm.

Hey, appreciate the response. I did buy the interface in the meanwhile I should also add, and I'm certainly glad that I did.

I'll confirm (as if it was ever in any doubt) that there's nothing out of the ordinary with the EIN, whatever its value might be. The interface is proving even better than anticipated and I'm really enjoying using it this past week.

Re: The official Babyface Pro Thread

Please help. My babyface pro fs will working, But sometime it says “unknown error” and Sound is lost at intervals. I reinstalled and reset my MAC OS X  but this problem still .

ENV:
      MacBook Pro 2020 m1
      macOS Big Sur 11.2.3 (20D91)
      RME firmware: V130
      Driver: 3.24

878 (edited by waedi 2021-04-01 19:40:20)

Re: The official Babyface Pro Thread

alimjan wrote:

Please help. My babyface pro fs will working, But sometime it says “unknown error” and Sound is lost at intervals. I reinstalled and reset my MAC OS X  but this problem still .

ENV:
      MacBook Pro 2020 m1
      macOS Big Sur 11.2.3 (20D91)
      RME firmware: V130
      Driver: 3.24

Who exactly says this ?
Is this a OSX popup window with this error message ? Or is it in the DAW ?
A screenshot would be helpful.
The Babyface itself has no display to show messages.

M1-BigSur, Babyface (soundstudio-to-go), started with PST8, Multiface I, Multiface II, PCIeMadi

Re: The official Babyface Pro Thread

waedi wrote:
alimjan wrote:

Please help. My babyface pro fs will working, But sometime it says “unknown error” and Sound is lost at intervals. I reinstalled and reset my MAC OS X  but this problem still .

ENV:
      MacBook Pro 2020 m1
      macOS Big Sur 11.2.3 (20D91)
      RME firmware: V130
      Driver: 3.24

Who exactly says this ?
Is this a OSX popup window with this error message ? Or is it in the DAW ?
A screenshot would be helpful.
The Babyface itself has no display to show messages.

Yes, It's not BabyFace error, Is OSX popup window error message. But the sound is always lost. but it's only play music then lost . if can ,you remotely check this error? Or tell me  how to get some about babyface log  and then i update here.

880

Re: The official Babyface Pro Thread

alimjan wrote:

Yes, It's not BabyFace error, Is OSX popup window error message. But the sound is always lost. but it's only play music then lost . if can ,you remotely check this error? Or tell me  how to get some about babyface log  and then i update here.

Unfortunately I can't help more. This seems to be a BigSur mess.

M1-BigSur, Babyface (soundstudio-to-go), started with PST8, Multiface I, Multiface II, PCIeMadi

Re: The official Babyface Pro Thread

waedi wrote:
alimjan wrote:

Yes, It's not BabyFace error, Is OSX popup window error message. But the sound is always lost. but it's only play music then lost . if can ,you remotely check this error? Or tell me  how to get some about babyface log  and then i update here.

Unfortunately I can't help more. This seems to be a BigSur mess.





Re: The official Babyface Pro Thread

Hi Gang:

As A blind owner of a Babyface Pro FS, I'm having problems navigating theTotal Mix software.  I was wondering if there is a place that I can download a bunch of Snapshots in order to help me to have a better understanding of this beautiful interface.

Thanks all over the place.

883

Re: The official Babyface Pro Thread

We have many blind users who exchange info and help on TotalMix FX. Furthermore there is a software that helps with screenreaders to use TM FX. Read here:

https://www.forum.rme-audio.de/viewtopic.php?id=28335

https://www.forum.rme-audio.de/viewtopic.php?id=25205

https://forum.rme-audio.de/viewtopic.php?id=26374

https://www.forum.rme-audio.de/viewtopic.php?id=24984

Note on exchange: snapshots/workspaces must be from the same interface model or they are not compatible.

Regards
Matthias Carstens
RME

Re: The official Babyface Pro Thread

Hey Matthias: thanks all over the place.

Re: The official Babyface Pro Thread

Hey Matthias:

As far as I am aware, there is no way for a Blind user to access the "Assign" button menu in Total Mix.  Do you think you could add that options in the options menu or, at least, make it assignable to a hotkey?

Thanks all over the place.

886

Re: The official Babyface Pro Thread

jim.noseworthy wrote:

As far as I am aware, there is no way for a Blind user to access the "Assign" button menu in Total Mix.  Do you think you could add that options in the options menu or, at least, make it assignable to a hotkey?

Adding Assign to the menu seems possible and was added to our list. But it won't happen for the next release, v1.73. Maybe one release later.

Regards
Matthias Carstens
RME

Re: The official Babyface Pro Thread

Thanks for your response.

I have another little problem: I don't know how to connect an affect to a channel so that I can control both the wet and dry signal to the same fader.

Your help would be appreciated all over the place.



MC wrote:
jim.noseworthy wrote:

As far as I am aware, there is no way for a Blind user to access the "Assign" button menu in Total Mix.  Do you think you could add that options in the options menu or, at least, make it assignable to a hotkey?

Adding Assign to the menu seems possible and was added to our list. But it won't happen for the next release, v1.73. Maybe one release later.

Re: The official Babyface Pro Thread

Hi Again:

Is there any way to control any affects parameters via a Mackie control surface?

Thanks all over the place.

889

Re: The official Babyface Pro Thread

No, that is OSC only.

Regards
Matthias Carstens
RME

890

Re: The official Babyface Pro Thread

Hi,

RME Babyface Pro FS
I just installed driver_usb_win_1210.zip and fut_usb_win.zip

Do I need to roll back to a prior version?

Thanks,

891

Re: The official Babyface Pro Thread

ST wrote:

Hi,

RME Babyface Pro FS
I just installed driver_usb_win_1210.zip and fut_usb_win.zip

Do I need to roll back to a prior version?

Thanks,

Do you have a problem with this version? Why would you need to roll back? 1210 is the newest version and the flash version should be 130. I use these. There was a problem with firmware 129 so you should be using 130. The file is always named the same so I can’t see what version you are using from fut_usb_win.zip

892

Re: The official Babyface Pro Thread

mkok wrote:

The file is always named the same so I can’t see what version you are using from fut_usb_win.zip

Adding the version number to the fut_usb_*.zip files would be a nice improvement indeed.

893

Re: The official Babyface Pro Thread

mkok wrote:
ST wrote:

Hi,

RME Babyface Pro FS
I just installed driver_usb_win_1210.zip and fut_usb_win.zip

Do I need to roll back to a prior version?

Thanks,

Do you have a problem with this version? Why would you need to roll back? 1210 is the newest version and the flash version should be 130. I use these. There was a problem with firmware 129 so you should be using 130. The file is always named the same so I can’t see what version you are using from fut_usb_win.zip

It looked like some people were having trouble with 1210. That's why I asked.

I've got the RME Babyface Pro FS connected to my Microsoft Surface Studio 2. If it sits idle for too long, it no longer responds to audio playing on the computer. It still shows up under Audio Devices (click the speaker at the bottom right of the computer screen), but there's no activity in TotalMix. I have to unplug the USB cable and connect it again to wake up the connection.

The other problem is TotalMix does not open automatically when I connect the RME. It does on my Surfacebook 2 but not the Surface Studio 2. It would fire up occasionally so I pinned it to the Task Bar so I could wake it up manually.

Re: The official Babyface Pro Thread

Hello!

You can try this:
Device manager -> Usb controllers -> Usb Hubs -> Right click on the one the BF Pro Fs is connected to -> Properties -> Power Management -> UnCheck the "Allow windows to turn off this device" Option.

RME Gear: Digiface USB, HDSP 9632

Re: The official Babyface Pro Thread

Hello all,
I have questions about the Babyface pro fs availability in Europe. The interface is out of stock in every store.
Do you know if the production stopped ? Or is there another explaination ?
Thank you

896

Re: The official Babyface Pro Thread

Seems you are right. I looked at two places I use SCAN.co.uk and Gear4music and they all say expected in June. Thomann also out of stock. It’s not only the Babyface though.

Re: The official Babyface Pro Thread

Is the new Babyface pro fs ad/da conversion just as good (if not better) than the original rme ufx? I'm considering this as an option to simplify my current ufx setup and make my studio more portable. Thanks in advance!

Re: The official Babyface Pro Thread

I am using  babyface pro and I am trying to set my speaker B to toslink out. How can I perform this. I have read the manual I received but not sure about this. Speaker B states ADAt3/4. Please can you guide me on this?

899

Re: The official Babyface Pro Thread

In Totalmix in the control room right side bottom, there is a button Assign, there you can assign the speaker B to your desired output.

M1-BigSur, Babyface (soundstudio-to-go), started with PST8, Multiface I, Multiface II, PCIeMadi