851 (edited by mkok 2021-03-13 13:44:45)

Re: The official Babyface Pro Thread

Ah right thanks. Is it ok to roll firmware back? I still have 127 in my downloads. I think that is what I had on last

Babyface Pro Fs, Behringer ADA8200, win 10/11 PCs, Cubase/Wavelab, Adam A7X monitors.

Sure.

Regards
Matthias Carstens
RME

Thanks

Babyface Pro Fs, Behringer ADA8200, win 10/11 PCs, Cubase/Wavelab, Adam A7X monitors.

What's the mic EIN for the babyface pro fs?

I keep seeing "exceptional EIN" in the marketing material, but no actual number anywhere in the specs.

About to order one and I don't like surprises.

EIN ? What do you mean ?
Ein-gang - Input ? On the backside are two XLR mic inputs
Ein-schalten - switching on (switching on phantompower) ? Switching on phantompower is in Totalmix inside the input channel, to open via wrench tool symbol
Ein-s - number one ? Mic input 1 is on the left side.
You will be surprised how great this interface is, just to prepare you.

M1-Sonoma, Madiface Pro, Digiface USB, Babyface silver and blue

waedi wrote:

EIN ? What do you mean ?
Ein-gang - Input ? On the backside are two XLR mic inputs
Ein-schalten - switching on (switching on phantompower) ? Switching on phantompower is in Totalmix inside the input channel, to open via wrench tool symbol
Ein-s - number one ? Mic input 1 is on the left side.
You will be surprised how great this interface is, just to prepare you.

Equivalent Input Noise. It's a common abbreviation.

Quoting from the product page:

Two digitally controlled preamps provide individually switchable 48V phantom power. These circuits feature a gain range of 76 dB, adjustable in steps of 1 dB, including a relay-driven PAD, resulting in exceptional EIN (Equivalent Input Noise) performance as well as line overload protection, and enough gain for even the lowest level microphones.

I suppose that is saved because of higher effort in measuring. I might be wrong, but .. with the high SNR values of today, EIN is actually quite uninteresting, isn't it ?

https://starkeypro.com/research/researc … noise.html

BR Ramses - UFX III, 12Mic, XTC, ADI-2 Pro FS R BE, RayDAT, X10SRi-F, E5-1680v4, Win10Pro22H2, Cub13

MC wrote:

Thanks for the info. We are examining this and already found that the latest firmware 129 for the BF Pro FS does not work as expected. The Pro works with that firmware. A fix will come. It is not yet clear if driver 1.210 has another issue or if this is caused by the firmware alone.

I notice there is a new firmware version 130. Does this fix the issue and is 1.210 working with this? Thanks

mkok wrote:
MC wrote:

Thanks for the info. We are examining this and already found that the latest firmware 129 for the BF Pro FS does not work as expected. The Pro works with that firmware. A fix will come. It is not yet clear if driver 1.210 has another issue or if this is caused by the firmware alone.

I notice there is a new firmware version 130. Does this fix the issue and is 1.210 working with this? Thanks

From the README in the ZIP archive this has been fixed in v130, was this your problem?

This Flash Update Tool will update the internal firmware to the following versions:
Babyface Pro & FS: 130

Update 03/17/2021: Updates Babyface Pro and Babyface Pro FS to version 130. Fix of MIDI Gain Control in v129 did not work correctly with the FS version.

BR Ramses - UFX III, 12Mic, XTC, ADI-2 Pro FS R BE, RayDAT, X10SRi-F, E5-1680v4, Win10Pro22H2, Cub13

V 130 is now online, it fixes the jumpy gain pots in TM FX ins 1-4  for the BF Pro FS as reported.

Regards
Matthias Carstens
RME

Ok thanks

ramses wrote:

I suppose that is saved because of higher effort in measuring. I might be wrong, but .. with the high SNR values of today, EIN is actually quite uninteresting, isn't it ?

https://starkeypro.com/research/researc … noise.html

It was deemed interesting enough to be included in the marketing material, so I'd expect to see the actual number too.

I'm sure the number is perfectly fine, even if "exceptional" was a slight exaggeration, and I don't particularly care if it's -128 or -129, but I do care about transparency. It's actually the main reason I decided on an RME interface after very extensive research.

It was a breath of fresh air reading this interface's manual and specs. Most other manufacturers seem embarrassed by their specs. Can't explain why they'd be hiding them in their spec sheets otherwise. And they're not willing to disclose crucial specs even when directly requested. The hidden specs are some kind of policy apparently.

Mic EIN was the only such spec here, which struck me as odd, considering it was specifically mentioned in all marketing material without a number to back it up. And since it was declared "exceptional", I'm hoping it was at the very least measured.

So, do we have a number? For peace of mind if nothing else.

Seriously now? Nobody's gonna answer this simple question? This is the official Babyface Pro thread on the official rme forum right? I'm not asking in the wrong place I hope.

It's a standard spec that's provided by almost every other manufacturer. It's labeled "exceptional" on your website. Yet nobody actually measured it? Or they did and thought it's better kept secret? Not sure which would be worse actually.

Needless to say this is very disappointing.

stej wrote:

Seriously now? Nobody's gonna answer this simple question? This is the official Babyface Pro thread on the official rme forum right? I'm not asking in the wrong place I hope.

This is a user forum. If you want an official answer from RME, it might be better to contact RME support: https://www.rme-audio.de/support.html

breun wrote:

This is a user forum. If you want an official answer from RME, it might be better to contact RME support: https://www.rme-audio.de/support.html

I was under the impression RME representatives were monitoring and responding to these forums. I followed your suggestion and submitted a ticket about it. I'll be sure to report back the official answer once I receive it.

stej wrote:

I was under the impression RME representatives were monitoring and responding to these forums.

Some RME employees are indeed hanging around here, but there is of course a good chance that they miss a question buried somewhere in an 18-page thread. smile

Said I'd report back, so for anyone else interested, sadly I have no new info.

Got a one liner response pointing me to the published user manual for any specs. Of course the manual does not list this particular spec, which was the whole point, so I had to repeat the question.

Have yet to get another response and frankly I'm not holding my breath. Felt as much talking to a wall, as with every other manufacturer's support.

I just don't get it. Why would you advertise a spec you're not disclosing.

Does it matter? I haven’t seen anyone else respond to this. I have the bfp fs and I must admit I don’t really care.

mkok wrote:

Does it matter? I haven’t seen anyone else respond to this. I have the bfp fs and I must admit I don’t really care.

It's a matter of principle mostly. And although I'm apparently the only one interested in specs here, you never know who might be searching for it eventually. Would be nice to have a number for reference.

For me it's wasted time, because a single useful EIN value does not exist. You would need a whole bunch of numbers, ideally a graphic with a curve to see the real behaviour at all gains plus different input impedances.

So take this: -128.5 dBu A weighted, 22 kHz Bandwidth, max gain 65 dB, 150 Ohm.

Regards
Matthias Carstens
RME

Please help. My babyface pro fa will not work, it says “driver error” and just operates as a speaker device. I reinstalled and reset my pc but nothing is working..

MC wrote:

For me it's wasted time, because a single useful EIN value does not exist. You would need a whole bunch of numbers, ideally a graphic with a curve to see the real behaviour at all gains plus different input impedances.

So take this: -128.5 dBu A weighted, 22 kHz Bandwidth, max gain 65 dB, 150 Ohm.

Hey, appreciate the response. I did buy the interface in the meanwhile I should also add, and I'm certainly glad that I did.

I'll confirm (as if it was ever in any doubt) that there's nothing out of the ordinary with the EIN, whatever its value might be. The interface is proving even better than anticipated and I'm really enjoying using it this past week.

Please help. My babyface pro fs will working, But sometime it says “unknown error” and Sound is lost at intervals. I reinstalled and reset my MAC OS X  but this problem still .

ENV:
      MacBook Pro 2020 m1
      macOS Big Sur 11.2.3 (20D91)
      RME firmware: V130
      Driver: 3.24

874 (edited by waedi 2021-04-01 18:40:20)

alimjan wrote:

Please help. My babyface pro fs will working, But sometime it says “unknown error” and Sound is lost at intervals. I reinstalled and reset my MAC OS X  but this problem still .

ENV:
      MacBook Pro 2020 m1

Who exactly says this ?
Is this a OSX popup window with this error message ? Or is it in the DAW ?
A screenshot would be helpful.
The Babyface itself has no display to show messages.

waedi wrote:
alimjan wrote:

ENV:
      MacBook Pro 2020 m1

Who exactly says this ?
Is this a OSX popup window with this error message ? Or is it in the DAW ?
A screenshot would be helpful.
The Babyface itself has no display to show messages.

Yes, It's not BabyFace error, Is OSX popup window error message. But the sound is always lost. but it's only play music then lost . if can ,you remotely check this error? Or tell me  how to get some about babyface log  and then i update here.

alimjan wrote:

Yes, It's not BabyFace error, Is OSX popup window error message. But the sound is always lost. but it's only play music then lost . if can ,you remotely check this error? Or tell me  how to get some about babyface log  and then i update here.

Unfortunately I can't help more. This seems to be a BigSur mess.

waedi wrote:
alimjan wrote:

Unfortunately I can't help more. This seems to be a BigSur mess.

Hi Gang:

As A blind owner of a Babyface Pro FS, I'm having problems navigating theTotal Mix software.  I was wondering if there is a place that I can download a bunch of Snapshots in order to help me to have a better understanding of this beautiful interface.

Thanks all over the place.

We have many blind users who exchange info and help on TotalMix FX. Furthermore there is a software that helps with screenreaders to use TM FX. Read here:

https://www.forum.rme-audio.de/viewtopic.php?id=28335

https://www.forum.rme-audio.de/viewtopic.php?id=25205

https://forum.rme-audio.de/viewtopic.php?id=26374

https://www.forum.rme-audio.de/viewtopic.php?id=24984

Note on exchange: snapshots/workspaces must be from the same interface model or they are not compatible.

Regards
Matthias Carstens
RME

Hey Matthias: thanks all over the place.

Hey Matthias:

As far as I am aware, there is no way for a Blind user to access the "Assign" button menu in Total Mix.  Do you think you could add that options in the options menu or, at least, make it assignable to a hotkey?

jim.noseworthy wrote:

As far as I am aware, there is no way for a Blind user to access the "Assign" button menu in Total Mix.  Do you think you could add that options in the options menu or, at least, make it assignable to a hotkey?

Adding Assign to the menu seems possible and was added to our list. But it won't happen for the next release, v1.73. Maybe one release later.

Regards
Matthias Carstens
RME

Thanks for your response.

I have another little problem: I don't know how to connect an affect to a channel so that I can control both the wet and dry signal to the same fader.

Your help would be appreciated all over the place.

MC wrote:
jim.noseworthy wrote:

Adding Assign to the menu seems possible and was added to our list. But it won't happen for the next release, v1.73. Maybe one release later.

Hi Again:

Is there any way to control any affects parameters via a Mackie control surface?

No, that is OSC only.

Regards
Matthias Carstens
RME

Hi,

RME Babyface Pro FS
I just installed driver_usb_win_1210.zip and fut_usb_win.zip

Do I need to roll back to a prior version?

Thanks,

ST wrote:

Hi,

RME Babyface Pro FS

Thanks,

Do you have a problem with this version? Why would you need to roll back? 1210 is the newest version and the flash version should be 130. I use these. There was a problem with firmware 129 so you should be using 130. The file is always named the same so I can’t see what version you are using from fut_usb_win.zip

mkok wrote:

The file is always named the same so I can’t see what version you are using from fut_usb_win.zip

Adding the version number to the fut_usb_*.zip files would be a nice improvement indeed.

mkok wrote:
ST wrote:

Hi,

RME Babyface Pro FS

Thanks,

Do you have a problem with this version? Why would you need to roll back? 1210 is the newest version and the flash version should be 130. I use these. There was a problem with firmware 129 so you should be using 130. The file is always named the same so I can’t see what version you are using from fut_usb_win.zip

It looked like some people were having trouble with 1210. That's why I asked.

I've got the RME Babyface Pro FS connected to my Microsoft Surface Studio 2. If it sits idle for too long, it no longer responds to audio playing on the computer. It still shows up under Audio Devices (click the speaker at the bottom right of the computer screen), but there's no activity in TotalMix. I have to unplug the USB cable and connect it again to wake up the connection.

The other problem is TotalMix does not open automatically when I connect the RME. It does on my Surfacebook 2 but not the Surface Studio 2. It would fire up occasionally so I pinned it to the Task Bar so I could wake it up manually.

Hello!

You can try this:
Device manager -> Usb controllers -> Usb Hubs -> Right click on the one the BF Pro Fs is connected to -> Properties -> Power Management -> UnCheck the "Allow windows to turn off this device" Option.

RME Gear: Digiface USB, HDSP 9632

Hello all,
I have questions about the Babyface pro fs availability in Europe. The interface is out of stock in every store.
Do you know if the production stopped ? Or is there another explaination ?
Thank you

Seems you are right. I looked at two places I use SCAN.co.uk and Gear4music and they all say expected in June. Thomann also out of stock. It’s not only the Babyface though.

Is the new Babyface pro fs ad/da conversion just as good (if not better) than the original rme ufx? I'm considering this as an option to simplify my current ufx setup and make my studio more portable. Thanks in advance!

I am using  babyface pro and I am trying to set my speaker B to toslink out. How can I perform this. I have read the manual I received but not sure about this. Speaker B states ADAt3/4. Please can you guide me on this?

In Totalmix in the control room right side bottom, there is a button Assign, there you can assign the speaker B to your desired output.

Hi guys, Im litlle lost here on forums, too many threads to search, so sorry, if repeating someone else question....

Got Babyface Pro and need more analog I/O so I thinking to buy Fireface UC, can I run BF PRO and FF UC on same system at same time? Its ok for me go with them as Master/Slave thru ADAT I/O setup, dont need run each of them individualy. Its better for my budget by FF UC as AD/DA convertors from RME or other good sounding brands.

Thank you.

897 (edited by ramses 2021-05-16 11:22:43)

baddogzz wrote:

Hi guys, Im litlle lost here on forums, too many threads to search, so sorry, if repeating someone else question....

Got Babyface Pro and need more analog I/O so I thinking to buy Fireface UC, can I run BF PRO and FF UC on same system at same time? Its ok for me go with them as Master/Slave thru ADAT I/O setup, dont need run each of them individualy. Its better for my budget by FF UC as AD/DA convertors from RME or other good sounding brands.

Thank you.

Hi baddogzz.

This is possible. BBF Pro as clock master, UC as clock slave, clocked through ADAT (also a TOSLINK cable from BBF to UC is needed for this).

You can keep both devices connected though USB. As both devices use the same ASIO driver, the DAW/application can access all channels of the BBF Pro and of the UC through their USB connection. By this you have access to all channels of both devices. If you would intend to operate the UC in standalone mode, then you would have to select 8 channels to be routed through ADAT .. and these are only 8 channels IN/OUT.

This saves you the work having to choose and route 8 of the UC's channels to the BBF Pro through ADAT.
You only need to take care in RME driver settings, that you use the same ASIO buffersize for both devices.

Setup variant. If you only want to route analog channels where settings do not change, you can operate this device in stand-alone mode and disconnect it from USB,  but as I said, then you can use only 8 ch. of the UC in single speed.

Other advantage, when using double speed (88.2/96kHz) you can access all channels of BBF Pro and UC in double speed without any channel loss though ADAT (by channel multiplexing in double speed).

Hi, I'm rme user from japan.
I bought babyface pro fs the other day and noticed that the IEM jack(φ3.5) is looser than the other jacks, is this the case with everyone's babyface pro fs? Is this a problem with my babyface pro fs?Should I send it in for inspection at once?
Can anyone tell me what the problem is? I'm sorry for the trouble.

That is normal. As long as the socket makes good contact you can ignore that.

Regards
Matthias Carstens
RME

I see, thanks you reply.
Was the loose IEM jack designed with an agenda in mind? I would have preferred it to be a little more fixed if I wanted. Or maybe change it to a 6.3mm jack.