Topic: Digiface Dante

Hello,

Hi have a question about the Digiface Dante,
I love it and it’s work fine. But my Question is more a fallback question.
If my Mac will be crashed in a live session, then I will be a Fallback that some inputs routes to the direct Output.
In my situation I used the Digiface with a Plug-in Live Processing tool, and some of this Plugins are in my console as a insert or in the End of the line as a Mastering tool.
So when my Mac crash (it doesn’t happens big_smile) I want that some of these passtrought the Audio.

Thx

2 (edited by waedi 2021-04-02 21:21:56)

Re: Digiface Dante

Page 44 the Digiface does not store Totalmix settings inside.
But it does not say what will happen when the mac crashes.
As long the device is under power, it will probably keep working ?
I don't know. I have the Digiface USB, it is not the same.
But you can do a test and find it out.
Connect your unit with the power supply and the computer and let some music running. Then disconnect the USB cable and see what happens.
A fallback programming with Totalmix is not possible afaik.
Your device is delivered with external power supply, you should use it every time.
The Digiface USB has no external power connection, only USB.
I can't perform this test.
I would love to hear the test result.

M1-Sonoma, Madiface Pro, Digiface USB, Babyface silver and blue

Hi, yes I know I read also.
But I will try.
A other question, maybe someone have it ever try. I didn’t work so much with Madi. What’s happen when I use a loop cable between tx and rx?
The interface works in the standalone mode as a converter Dante In > Madi Out; Madi In > Dante Out. With a loop cable for Madi there will be all the channel pass through in and out right?

Should be. Never tried this, though, as I don't know what it would be good for.

Regards
Matthias Carstens
RME

Hi,

I also have a question about the Digiface Dante which I don't have yet so I will ask it here in order to not multiply the topic about it.

I can seet that there are 2 primary ports and 2 secondary ports on the interface, my question is :

Are they in the same network or do they have their own Dante ID and configuration ? For example can it access to two physically independant networks regardless of the their configuration or do they act just like 2 switches with 2 ports ?

Thanks

martin.lehmann.vt wrote:

The interface works in the standalone mode as a converter Dante In > Madi Out; Madi In > Dante Out. With a loop cable for Madi there will be all the channel pass through in and out right?

If this works it would be a very good fallback situation for inserts.
I will try that as soon as possible!

Then make sure to use firmware 39 (in 38 stand-alone mode did not work).

Regards
Matthias Carstens
RME

8 (edited by wolfgang62 2021-06-22 13:45:44)

A very enlightening test...
First of all I did the firmware update to v. 39. No problem.
Then I started Live Professor 2 and made a Dante insert with my Soundcraft VI1000. No Problem.
Just closing the LP2 doesn't start the standalone mode so I unplugged the USB. The Mac crashed and restarted! (Every time I unplugged the USB connection!).
OK, but now the standalone mode should start. I waited a minute and found out finally that there were no activities on the LAN ports anymore.
The power connection of the Digiface has a loose connection!!! (B.t.w.: this connector is the cheapest on the market you can buy! If you have to rely on it your lost.)
After I found a position where the power supply worked I started again, unplugged the USB connector (Mac crashed), the LAN LED keep on working but still no standalone mode.
In the end I found out that pulling the USB is not enough I had to power down the Digiface and restart it.
After switching on the power supply it took about 15 sec. to enter the standalone mode.
So all in all you need about 20 to 25 seconds from the point your app crashed until the channels on the desk are coming back without the inserts.
And you should never run an important second app on the mac cause it will be terminated.

I have/had a lot of RME gear and was always willing to pay the price for premium quality which up to now I really got, but the Digiface is far away from premium or quality. For more than €1000 I'm quite disappointed.
It still has warranty - it needs repair!
But I'm not shure the new connector lasts longer than the first one.

I got the hint that I should install the software again, that solves sometimes a lot of problems.
After the new installation I am able to unplug the Dante interface without a crash of the Mac.

Downside: Now I'm not able to start the Mac when the interface is plugged in.
It restarts infinite.

OK, tried everything but nothing worked.
Does anybody know which files I have to delete to get a Digiface free disk when I installed driver_usbnw_mac_320.zip and rme_netifc_mac.zip previously?
I didn't find any uninstall routine.

I'm hoping that uninstalling and installing again the Catalina partition is as good working as the Big Sur one.