Topic: Gain noise variation problem Babyface pro Fs

Hi guys, I already contacted the support team for the issue, i wait for an answer, till then i know there is some knowledge in here so i post for help.

I got a room noise variation issue, sometimes when i turn on 48V phantom (condenser mic) i got a pretty high room noise around -50 db on totalmix meter input, I see and hear the room noise in my DAW and recordings. Sometimes i turn on the 48v and almost no room noise, between -60db to -68db. It goes from one situation from the other without me having control over, no difference in computer or room configuration. It can stay with no noise or with the noise for hours.

My set up and what i tried to fix it:
I set the gain on Totalmix at 30db
My analog ins are on mono.
I re installed latest drivers and firmware
I was on USB 3, i tried USB 2 and different entries.
I unplugged my other USB devices
I watched RME youtube tutorials (maybe i missed something)
I brought it back to the store where they tested my mic and the interface and they said everything was fine (i m not convince by their test, everything is fine sometimes on my side)
I bought new mic cable
My computer and material is plugged on UPS cyberpower
I ve read RME forums for hours
I tried with speakers unplugged from device.

If i have a room noise problem, i ll fix it with isolation. The issue is it goes from noise to no noise without me having control on it.

I join here videos of the two situations captured the same night:
https://we.tl/t-3dL7Ntcbv6

My previous audio device was working fine a week ago(audient id22), mic also

I run on Pc, windows 10 pro

I m so disappointed, i bought RME for reliability, quality and stability. I spent the first whole week trying to fix a problem.

I most likely won t get e refund from that store

Thank you for your help

Ps sorry for my english i m a frenchy

Raphael

2 (edited by waedi 2021-04-11 20:45:11)

Re: Gain noise variation problem Babyface pro Fs

please put your videos on youtube or Dropbox and provide a direct download link.
The Link above leads to a bad website .

M1-Sonoma, Madiface Pro, Digiface USB, Babyface silver and blue

waedi wrote:

please put your videos on youtube or Dropbox and provide a direct download link.
The Link above leads to a website with -.

I just uploaded those 2 videos for you on youtube unlisted of course
with noise
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=h1QCI46CGpA
without noise
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zkiVAiYCEJ8

Thx for the answer

4 (edited by MetalHeadKeys 2021-04-12 01:24:20)

Hello!

Maybe, it's some sort of ground loop or Electro-Magnetic Interference..
Perhaps, the noise is from a grounding issue on Motherboard level. For example, it might be related to a cooling fan functioning and stopping.

Perhaps, it's none of the above and it's noise from the mic itself(not the cable)! Did you try with another condenser mic?
Also, what mic is it? Can you post a link?

I'm not sure.. Does this, also, happen with dynamic mics?(don't use +48V with these)

Also, can you please record an audio file of the noise, upload it somewhere and post the link, so we can check?

Are you using an external power supply with the BF Pro?

RME Gear: Digiface USB, HDSP 9632

MetalHeadKeys wrote:

Hello!

Perhaps, the noise is from a grounding issue on Motherboard level. For example, it might be related to a cooling fan functioning and stopping.

Perhaps, it's none of the above and it's noise from the mic itself(not the cable)! Did you try with another condenser mic?

I'm not sure.. Does this, also, happen with dynamic mics?(don't use +48V with these)

Also, can you please record an audio file of the noise, upload it somewhere and post the link, so we can check?

You re maybe right about ground loop or interference, it has to come from motherboard as i m plugged to a UPS, usually it fixes ground loop problems.
My computer is recent and pretty good for music. I believe RME s device should be ready for those interference with motherboard.
But the thing about a fan working or not would make sens. What can i do in those cases?

My mic is a Rode NT1000, i use it since 2009, is working pretty good, i was recording with it a week ago. I don t have other mics sad so i don t know what would happen with dynamic mics. The probleme starts when i put the 48v on

The noise sound like room noise, it s just weird that sometimes it s louder sometime it s not. I didn t hear magnetics or electrical sound.

I m gonna record it and find a way to post it here

My babyface is bused powered right now. Plugging it could be an option, i don t have the adapter tho

Thx for the answer

-53 dBFS down to -68 dBFS, shown on the level meter. About 14 dB difference. Start DIGICheck and check what this sound looks like on the Spectral Analyzer.

Are you sure the mic has the same 'volume' in both cases? Or did the gain change (not seen in TM FX gain setting)?

Regards
Matthias Carstens
RME

MC wrote:

-53 dBFS down to -68 dBFS, shown on the level meter. About 14 dB difference. Start DIGICheck and check what this sound looks like on the Spectral Analyzer.

Are you sure the mic has the same 'volume' in both cases? Or did the gain change (not seen in TM FX gain setting)?

i just found Digicheck software and used spectral analyzer, sadly (lol) the noise wasn t there this time, i still recorded a little video of the spectral analyser.

As soon as the noise comes back i ll make another video of the spectral analyzer and post it here.

The gain level is always 30db. i touch to volume on analog 1 only to hear myself when i record but it doesn t affect the noise.

Is there a channel strip processor device or software plugin in the chain ?
May be a gate and a de-esser ?

M1-Sonoma, Madiface Pro, Digiface USB, Babyface silver and blue

waedi wrote:

Is there a channel strip processor device or software plugin in the chain ?
May be a gate and a de-esser ?

Not that i know of, mic straight in BBF analog 1. No plug in in Totalmix

Thx for the answer

Raphael wrote:
MetalHeadKeys wrote:

Hello!

You re maybe right about ground loop or interference, it has to come from motherboard as i m plugged to a UPS, usually it fixes ground loop problems.
My computer is recent and pretty good for music. I believe RME s device should be ready for those interference with motherboard.
But the thing about a fan working or not would make sens. What can i do in those cases?

My mic is a Rode NT1000, i use it since 2009, is working pretty good, i was recording with it a week ago. I don t have other mics sad so i don t know what would happen with dynamic mics. The probleme starts when i put the 48v on

The noise sound like room noise, it s just weird that sometimes it s louder sometime it s not. I didn t hear magnetics or electrical sound.

I m gonna record it and find a way to post it here

My babyface is bused powered right now. Plugging it could be an option, i don t have the adapter tho

Thx for the answer

You 're welcome!

You could try with the external Power supply!
Else, you could try with a USB Isolator, like the Intona: https://intona.eu/en/products/7054

Do you have all your devices connected to the UPS? (PC, computer monitors, speakers etc)
Ground loops are sneaky, it's not that the BF Pro FS is not ready for such situations!

RME Gear: Digiface USB, HDSP 9632