Re: Mac USB driver for macOS 11 & Apple Silicon hardware

Hey just wanted to follow up, I believe I solved the issue by running the following:

cd /Library/Extensions/
sudo kextutil -v 2 RMEFirefaceUSB.kext

Since then the Babyface is being recognized and it appears to work across reboots.

I did boot to safe mode and manually added 67AK2U2X7M to my kext consent list before, so also try that if the command alone loading doesn't work.

My impression is the problem I was encountering was not related to the security authorization. I did not get the security prompt after a clean reinstall of the drivers because I had already allowed access -- it appears in my case the kext was simply not be loaded properly.

Hope this helps.

Fixed here too.  Solution here was booting into recovery and removing the kext-consent entry, running kmutil trigger-panic-medic, then re-approving everything on the next boot.  Now it works every time.  So I suppose it didn't actually get approved properly upon install.  No clue.

153 (edited by rutgermuller 2021-05-07 01:38:40)

cyrano wrote:

Maybe you could have a look in the Console at events occurring around the time of the CPU spikes in Ableton?

Could rule out an Ableton or a PSU issue.

Yep I was trying to do that, but I couldn't draw any conclusions from Ableton's CPU usage info, nor from the macOS Activity Monitor. (Not with my n00b diagnostic skills at least... didn't use Console either.)

In the meantime, I noticed strange behaviour related to Totalmix. I tested using Safari + Netflix (no other apps open). With the Totalmix app open (in the background), a short dropout every 10 minutes or so. After closing Totalmix, 60 minutes without any dropout.

Now I tried the same thing with Spotify... and I don't get any drop outs with Totalmix in the background.

But, I did notice another difference. Totalmix is now, during the Spotify test, using around 2% CPU continuously. While during the hours I was testing it with Safari and Netflix, it was constantly around 7% CPU. The 7% CPU thing (whether related to Safari or not)... I feel it might be an indicator of something overloading, because it seems high to me.

Also current "Virtual Memory Size" for TotalMix FX is 390GB, is that normal or high?

I'd try another browser, even if just as a test.

Did some googling. This Apple bug has been around for a while. At least since Catalina. Can't quite imagine what's it related too, though.

Apple's answer on the dev forums is "please report" every time. Seems to do little good.

Just under 2% CPU for TotalMix is what I've been seeing like forever. So that sounds normal. 7% isn't normal, but I've got no idea what's causing it, so thanks for your observations leading to Safari/Netflix.

MB Pro - 2 X FireFace 400, FF800 & DigiFace USB
ADAT gear: Korg, Behri, Fostex, Alesis...

Does CPU-% tell anything about Totalmix ?
If you shut down all other task the CPU has nothing else to do and Totalmix gets 100% of the CPU.
And if you use Reverb on many channels in Totalmix the CPU usage will change a lot.
With a lot of streaming apps running dropouts may occure, normal.

M1-Sonoma, Madiface Pro, Digiface USB, Babyface silver and blue

156 (edited by Frekk 2021-05-07 17:24:58)

rutgermuller wrote:
cyrano wrote:

Maybe you could have a look in the Console at events occurring around the time of the CPU spikes in Ableton?

Could rule out an Ableton or a PSU issue.

Yep I was trying to do that, but I couldn't draw any conclusions from Ableton's CPU usage info, nor from the macOS Activity Monitor. (Not with my n00b diagnostic skills at least... didn't use Console either.)

In the meantime, I noticed strange behaviour related to Totalmix. I tested using Safari + Netflix (no other apps open). With the Totalmix app open (in the background), a short dropout every 10 minutes or so. After closing Totalmix, 60 minutes without any dropout.

Now I tried the same thing with Spotify... and I don't get any drop outs with Totalmix in the background.

But, I did notice another difference. Totalmix is now, during the Spotify test, using around 2% CPU continuously. While during the hours I was testing it with Safari and Netflix, it was constantly around 7% CPU. The 7% CPU thing (whether related to Safari or not)... I feel it might be an indicator of something overloading, because it seems high to me.

Also current "Virtual Memory Size" for TotalMix FX is 390GB, is that normal or high?

Like you have not been able to see any specific things in console. However your other experiment is interesting, and I did the same as you only with Logic. I need to do some more testing, but when closing down Totalmix I played tracks for over 1.5 hour without the glitches that normally occurred in between. . This is when my Fireface is connected to the OWC.  Unfortunately I cannot tell if this behavior occurred before the update of Mac OS since I only had the MacBook and the owc for a short time.

The strange thing here is that this error did not seem to occur when Fireface is directly connected to the MacBook, hence why I need to test more to see if I missed anything.

Frekk wrote:

The strange thing here is that this error did not seem to occur when Fireface is directly connected to the MacBook, hence why I need to test more to see if I missed anything.

You mean there's a dock between the Mac and the Fireface?

Does that dock also has an ethernet port? Is something connected to that port?

If there's nothing connected, could you try to disable DHCP for that port? Just set it to a static IP.

I haven't drawn any new clear conclusions yet, but I did figure out when Totalmix jumps from 2% to 7%.
2% = minimised window
7% = visible window

cyrano wrote:
Frekk wrote:

You mean there's a dock between the Mac and the Fireface?

Does that dock also has an ethernet port? Is something connected to that port?

If there's nothing connected, could you try to disable DHCP for that port? Just set it to a static IP.

Sorry for late reply. Have not been able to look into this before now. There is nothing connected to the Ethernet port. I tried to disable the DHCP (static IP) on the dock but it did not change the outcome. The glitch still exist.I even tried deactivate the ethernet port with no changes.

When that is said. The only time I have managed to re-create the glitch is when the Fireface is connected to the dock and total mix is open. When closing Totalmix the glitch is gone.  When the Fireface is connected directly to the MacBook, no issues even if totalmix is open.

Which dock do you have?

cyrano wrote:

Which dock do you have?

OWC Thunderbolt Dock (newest product) with 3 tb ports 3 USB A 3.0 ports, ethernet, smartcard, headphone jack usb.2.0 and the TB port to connect to the mac. It is suppose to be TB4.

IIRC, these should work. Unless the newest version is different?

163 (edited by rutgermuller 2021-05-13 22:58:47)

rutgermuller wrote:
Frekk wrote:
rutgermuller wrote:

I ordered the M1 Macbook Pro in November, and have been using it without any problems with the Fireface 802.

But now, after upgrading to macOS 11.3 I get a short audio dropout every 15/30 minutes or so. I'm using all the same hardware (via Apple recommended Satechi multiport hub) and pretty much the same software.

I just uninstalled the Blackhole virtual audio interface, that didn't help.

I (re-)installed the latest driver: "macOS 11 USB Series Driver 2021-04-24, driver_usb_mac_325.zip, USB 2/3 driver for macOS 11 and up. Version 3.25. Supports Intel and M1." That didn't help either.

I also tested using the internal 'sound card', and then indeed the drop outs are gone.

Any ideas?

I am having a Fireface UFX (USB 2.0) which i run into a OWC TB Dock connected to my M1. The description of your glitches sounds very similar to the glitches i experience in Logic with this setup. Every now and then the glitches occur, and recording stops and restarts regular playback, or playback just restarts when the glitches occur. When i hook up a usb-c soundcard i own to the OWC it works just fine.

What seems now to be a temporary solution is using a USB B to USB C cable connected directly to one of the ports on the Macbook (I have to test this more) This also suggest to me that its not an issue with RME or the Mac, but probably related to the Dock. I need to do some more testing though to be sure. Bandwith issue?

PS i also tested connecting RME to one of the TB ports on the OWC with USB B to USB C. The issue stilled occur. Whats interesting is that you are using a satechi (unpowered?) an me a powered dock and our issues are similar. It might be a coincidence, but still interesting if you find a solution.

Thanks for sharing. Yep that sounds very similar. I will probably test the USB-B USB-C workaround soon.

I can't really pinpoint which software causes it. But I did notice some odd CPU spikes in Ableton that seem to correlate with the drop outs (and sometimes glitchy drop outs). It's just weird that this happened since upgrading from macOS 11.2 to 11.3.

I think the glitches occur when I power the macBook via the USB-C multihub as well as when I power the MacBook directly and leave the hub unpowered.

Good news.

The suggestion/workaround of using an (Apple) USB-B to USB-C adapter fixed my audio drop outs. Used Ableton with the Fireface 802 all day without any dropout or glitch, even when CPU overloaded multiple times in Ableton's CPU indicator.

Still odd, as the Satechi hub worked fine for 5 months. So it's either because macOS 11.2 to 11.3 did something with the hub communication, or the hub "died".

164 (edited by z.e.a 2021-05-14 10:15:54)

rutgermuller wrote:

Good news.

The suggestion/workaround of using an (Apple) USB-B to USB-C adapter fixed my audio drop outs. Used Ableton with the Fireface 802 all day without any dropout or glitch, even when CPU overloaded multiple times in Ableton's CPU indicator.

Still odd, as the Satechi hub worked fine for 5 months. So it's either because macOS 11.2 to 11.3 did something with the hub communication, or the hub "died".

hello there big_smile

you are not alone with this. i have same problem. My chain is "Babyface Pro -> USB-C hub >MBP M1" and i have dropouts or glitchs every 10-15 minutes... its begun after macOS 11.3 update. before this upadate my chain worked fine.

I could not stand it and went here to read the forum in search of a solution to the problem. today i will try your way workaround of using an (Apple) USB-B to USB-C adapte and i hope it helps... strange things.

165 (edited by rutgermuller 2021-05-17 12:11:46)

z.e.a wrote:
rutgermuller wrote:

Good news.

hello there big_smile

you are not alone with this. i have same problem. My chain is "Babyface Pro -> USB-C hub >MBP M1" and i have dropouts or glitchs every 10-15 minutes... its begun after macOS 11.3 update. before this upadate my chain worked fine.

I could not stand it and went here to read the forum in search of a solution to the problem. today i will try your way workaround of using an (Apple) USB-B to USB-C adapte and i hope it helps... strange things.

Thanks for letting me know. Hope this workaround/fix works for you too... and I hope Apple will fix its issues with hubs?

166 (edited by jiggy 2021-05-30 20:57:27)

ndc wrote:

Hello all, Found a trick though - manually loading the kext with kmutil after the restart seems to straighten it out:

sudo kmutil load -p /Library/StagedExtensions/Library/Extensions/RMEFirefaceUSB.kext

Thank you Nick for this! This works but after rebooting my Mac, UFX is not recognized again. I need to run that command every time I start my Mac to make it work.

Why is this happening and how to fix this?

My mac is Intel based Mac Mini 2018. I guess why I got this issue is that I most likely clicked the multiple security and restart prompts in wrong order that ended up messing up the installation and security permissions.

-----

Edit: I noticed you and ABS managed to fix this through Recovery mode. I also opened Terminal in Recovery Mode, browsed to /Library/Extensions to check that RMEFirefaceUSB.kext was deleted. I deleted it before going to Recovery Mode using the earlier command you gave:

cd /Library/Extensions/

In recovery mode, I then ran the kernel extension panic medic boot command:

kmutil trigger-panic-medic --volume-root /Volumes/YOUR_HD_DRIVE_NAME

After this I rebooted and after login, I got the Panic Medic Boot prompt saying that I need to grant permissions again to third party kernels when respective programs are launched again.

I closed the notification and I re-installed the RME Driver. This time it prompted asking the permissions again. Previously I have tried to re-install the driver dozen times but I never got the security prompt again. This time I was careful in granting the permissions in correct manner ie. when the Security prompt asked to grant the permissions to RME and asked to restart, I clicked "Not Now". Instead I restarted through the RME Driver Installer as mentioned in the instructions.

Now after rebooting and testing multiple times my mac recognizes my UFX II properly every time and opens Total Mix normally.

Hopefully this post helps others who might encounter the same issue. I hope the installation procedure could be made more bullet-proof and the instructions would highlight what are the correct steps more clearly.

167 (edited by iamweith 2021-06-01 22:32:12)

jiggy wrote:
ndc wrote:

Hello all, Found a trick though - manually loading the kext with kmutil after the restart seems to straighten it out:

sudo kmutil load -p /Library/StagedExtensions/Library/Extensions/RMEFirefaceUSB.kext

Thank you Nick for this! This works but after rebooting my Mac, UFX is not recognized again. I need to run that command every time I start my Mac to make it work.

Why is this happening and how to fix this?

My mac is Intel based Mac Mini 2018. I guess why I got this issue is that I most likely clicked the multiple security and restart prompts in wrong order that ended up messing up the installation and security permissions.

-----

Edit: I noticed you and ABS managed to fix this through Recovery mode. I also opened Terminal in Recovery Mode, browsed to /Library/Extensions to check that RMEFirefaceUSB.kext was deleted. I deleted it before going to Recovery Mode using the earlier command you gave:

cd /Library/Extensions/

After this I rebooted and after login, I got the Panic Medic Boot prompt saying that I need to grant permissions again to third party kernels when respective programs are launched again.

I closed the notification and I re-installed the RME Driver. This time it prompted asking the permissions again. Previously I have tried to re-install the driver dozen times but I never got the security prompt again. This time I was careful in granting the permissions in correct manner ie. when the Security prompt asked to grant the permissions to RME and asked to restart, I clicked "Not Now". Instead I restarted through the RME Driver Installer as mentioned in the instructions.

Now after rebooting and testing multiple times my mac recognizes my UFX II properly every time and opens Total Mix normally.

Hopefully this post helps others who might encounter the same issue. I hope the installation procedure could be made more bullet-proof and the instructions would highlight what are the correct steps more clearly.

I've tried all this and I haven't managed to make my Fireface400 startup normally on my M1 macmini that stopped working since an OS update.

I did notice that putting the mac to sleep and waiting for 15 seconds then waking it up the Fireface connects with the red host dot disappearing... I'd rather do this than have to unplug and plug the cable each time

I'm glad I just stumbled across this post.
Running that sudo command gets my UFXII recognised again.
was all working fine, until I updated WAVES SoundgridStudio (yeah, don't ask) ...

Can someone remind me about this process mentioned above with Recovery mode?? Don't want to stuff this up.

----------------
Matt McKenzie-Smith (UFXII, UFX, Babyface) MacStudioUltra OS13.2.1
----------------

169 (edited by mattrixx 2021-06-02 07:15:30)

Oh wow.. it worked!!

Thanks so much folks... I'm a numpty when it comes to all things terminal, so I printed out the instructions and followed them to the letter!!

----------------
----------------

Latest rumour is that you need to totally shutdown the computer once. As if the normal 'reboot' is not doing anymore what it did before.

After reboot you can see the driver is no longer loaded, although all the rest is shown as ok (System Report - Extensions - RME driver).

To find the reason why it doesn't load you could try this one:

cd /Library/Extensions/

It gives some information about what the OS thinks about this extension.

Also IMHO the issue was not triggered by Waves, but an OS update.

We have lots of Macs here and none of them shows this effect, but we know that some users are struggling with it, typically on macOS 11.4 and 11.3.1.

Regards
Matthias Carstens
RME

mattrixx wrote:

Oh wow.. it worked!!

Thanks so much folks... I'm a numpty when it comes to all things terminal, so I printed out the instructions and followed them to the letter!!

Oops! You edited your post while I was typing. What exactly did you do now?

Regards
Matthias Carstens
RME

We have lots of Macs here and none of them shows this effect, but we know that some users are struggling with it, typically on macOS 11.4 and 11.3.1.

So all your Macs there run macOS 11.4 and don't have problems?
Or are they still on older versions because they were not so stupid like me to update?
Is there a new RME-driver or macOS update to be released that can fix this or do we have to live with this disease?

As the System Report info clearly shows there is nothing for the system to complain about our driver/kernel extension. So when after reboot this newer OS does not load the extension anymore, then it seems to be a bug in said OS.

The puzzling thing here is that not everyone is affected. Sooner or later we might know what triggers this issue.

Regards
Matthias Carstens
RME

174 (edited by krogalon 2021-06-04 06:58:44)

FWIW: for me the command

sudo kextutil -v 2 /Library/Extensions/RMEFirefaceUSB.kext

solved the problem of the kext not loading until next reboot.

Starting recovery mode and doing

then after rebooting entering the first command again, approving the kext and rebooting once more solved it for good. No reinstalling of the driver was needed.

Fireface 802, Driver 3.25, 27 inch iMac 2020.

One thing that might differentiate my system from many others is that I set the "Secure Boot" option in the Startup Security Utility to "No Security".

StagedExtension is a folder where files are moved to that for example were not allowed by the user (Privacy&Security). Usually one will not find our kernel extension in that folder/path.

Regards
Matthias Carstens
RME

MC wrote:

StagedExtenbsion is a folder where files are moved to that for example were not allowed by the user (Privacy&Security). Usually one will not find our kernel extension in that folder/path.

Hello!

Sorry, the path I used actually was /Library/Extensions/RMEFirefaceUSB.kext, not StagedExtensions. I updated my original post.

My Digiface AVB is totally broken after mac os 11.4 update. Kextutil command fixed the driver not loading, maybe even after reboot, but that didn't fix all the problems.

After reinstalling the driver, network interface and avb controller it worked for a while, but i didn't test for a long time. Again after reboot reboot totalmix goes crazy, first 3-4 channels on red, channels rearranging / flickering, clock changing, fireface usb settings shows crc errors. After replugging totalmix won't start and device is shown as IOUSBHostdevice in fireface settings, also at some points of testing the "properties for" menu showed random garbage characters as device name. All previous mac os versions worked great.

Suggestions welcome! Hopefully a fix will come around soon no matter if it's RME or Apple, I would strongly advice to stay away from 11.4 at least people with Digiface AVB.

jiggy wrote:

Hi! This helped me, after which re-installing the driver and following all instructions did the trick. My UFX is now running again.
Thanks!

Yep, looks like trigger-panic-medic worked for me too! Thanks!

MC wrote:
mattrixx wrote:

Oh wow.. it worked!!

Oops! You edited your post while I was typing. What exactly did you do now?

Hi Matthias, sorry, just saw your post. 
I did the "trigger-panic-medic" command described earlier in the thread to reset the kext privacy loading settings.
Then had to allow everything again that I needed.

Cheers
Matt

----------------
----------------

Hi Everyone,

Thanks for all the information you've posted. I'm on Big Sur 11.4 and I've tried all of the terminal instructions posted above, checking my spelling and spacing and i've had no success. In terminal I received messages like 'volume not found' etc.

I can successfully install the 3.25 driver and see my Babyface in the System Preferences / Sound panel but as soon as I restart it is gone.

Any tips?

Thanks!

I do have one little tip that saved me, however may or may not work for you. 

When writing the path to your hard drive. I discovered that the terminal didn't like a space in the name.
ie My drive was called "Macintosh HD", but I needed to type "MacintoshHD" in the Terminal path command.

----------------
----------------

183 (edited by simonh 2021-06-08 06:45:44)

It is possible to drag drive icons (and folders/files) into the terminal window to enter the correct name with path and spaces etc. correctly preceded by backslashes.

In recovery mode?

Regards
Matthias Carstens
RME

Quick update, kmutil trigger-panic-medic did not fix the issue permanently for Digiface AVB, all the original issues remain. I might be wrong but feels that problems with Digiface are worse than regular usb interface?

Still no success for me. I'm on a 'Late 2015' iMac and have followed the Intel instructions. M1 is the new chip, correct?

One thing I noticed while installing other updates in Big Sur; It seemed some other installers had a prompt which asked if I wanted to open Security Preferences. I can't remember if the RME installer ever gave me this option. Could something like that be part of the problem somehow?

Thanks for the help, in the meantime i'll be running on my slow Catalina clone drive.

Hi Guys,

I did exactly everything that tells us on this forum and managed to get my RME FF800 recognized a few times, with some tricks they teach on the forum, however.
In all cases, when restarting the MAC it starts the same problems, it doesn't recognize my Baby FF800 anymore
I've already asked RME support for help, but to no avail, as they guide through this forum.

Any Any idea!!!

Thx

We have no other solution at this time, else you'd find it here or I would have sent it. Resetting permissions seems to have helped in most cases.

Regards
Daniel Fuchs
RME

Hi RME

As I already informed, I did all operations.

In a way, when I give permissions my FF800 works for minutes.
Then I restart the MAC operating system and everything is the same, it fails to recognize my FF800 again.

There must be some detail that is failing in this operation, if I give permissions it works at the time of authorizations, why when restarting the MAC everything goes back?

I don't understand this permission. I did all the operations again, and it no longer recognizes my FF800.

There has to be an update for this problem.
Do you give as a solution to this problem, the solution that the Forum presents? and there will be no update of these drivers?

Thkx

This is not something that can be fixed with a driver update, it's a Mac issue (permissions).

Regards
Daniel Fuchs
RME

RME Support wrote:

This is not something that can be fixed with a driver update, it's a Mac issue (permissions).

Hi,

So do I have to ask MAC support? To help me?

If the problem is with MAC apple, why doesn't RME inform MAC apple about the problems they are having with RME's audio interfaces? Almost all RME devices have the same problem, I don't get it.

RME must enter into agreement with MAC to resolve this issue.

Are you in contact to resolve?

Thank you

I just did a clean install of Mac OS Big Sur and so far it seems to have resolved the issue! My computer probably needed the fresh installation because I probably hadn’t done one in 15 years.

Worked for a little bit, now it is fails on every restart. Does the Babyface work with Big Sur?

cleanpunch wrote:

Worked for a little bit, now it is fails on every restart. Does the Babyface work with Big Sur?

Babyface silver and Madiface Pro and Digiface USB all work perfect on M1 BigSur.

I have a blue Babyface from 2013 or 14 (not sure), could it be that I need to use a newer USB cable or something simple? My babyface works great in Catalina day after day and completely fails in Big Sur after a migrated update and a clean install.

cleanpunch wrote:

I have a blue Babyface from 2013 or 14 (not sure), could it be that I need to use a newer USB cable or something simple? My babyface works great in Catalina day after day and completely fails in Big Sur after a migrated update and a clean install.

I had to do a firmware update and then it worked. I use original USB cable and cheap USB-C cable without issues.

Is there any problem with me running the RME USB Mac 3.25 installer every time I start up my computer and then minimizing the installer window and working without restarting? I've simply gotta work.

Just a few posts back. And here:

https://forum.rme-audio.de/viewtopic.php?id=33277

Regards
Matthias Carstens
RME

Thanks for the help. Unfortunately I wasn't able to get this to work so I cloned my old Catalina system back onto my internal drive.

I just had to do this and has now worked, but the driver was working, then something else I installed (updated VST i think) knocked the RME driver.. thought I'd be making music today haha

www.yila.co.uk