Topic: Connecting Issues with modern notebooks

Hey People,

I couldn't find a proper thread - I've got the question: how to connect my Interface to my Notebook smile

Sounds easy? Well I've got a lot of Issues since I'm using my new notebook with Windows 10 and Cubase 11.
I'm using the Fireface UFX+. So I think this is no Driver Issue, because Windows 10 should cause no problems...

I got about five blue screens with the message "multiple_irp_complete_requests" after I touched the USB cable a little bit. When I do this, it is disconnecting and reconnecting fastly, the cable doesn't seem to be ülugged in too firmly...
Since I only got 2 USB ports and need to connect a lot of things like dongle, e-drums, interface and in best mouse and keyboard when I record, I was thinking if I can connect the Fireface via USB-C or Thunderbolt.
But as far as I was looking, there is no cable from the "old, big" thunderbold port on the backside to the Standard USB-C-Thunderbolt port on my Notebook. Do you know one? And would this even work?

Otherwise I could use a Thunderbolt or USB-C Usb-Hub to connect the the Fireface and the other stuff, I think this has to work, because some Notebooks (like all apple notebooks) just have these ports - but can you recommend some Hubs, did you test some?
Or should I try a new cable from the interface to the USB-C port?

Since newer notebooks JUST have USB-C ports, there have to be some people here with the same issues... are they?

I just want my Fireface to work as great on the new notebook as it did on the old one!
Would be great to hear from you

thanks,
Jakob

Re: Connecting Issues with modern notebooks

But as far as I was looking, there is no cable from the "old, big" thunderbold port on the backside to the Standard USB-C-Thunderbolt port on my Notebook. Do you know one? And would this even work?

If your notebook really has Thunderbolt 3 on this USB-C port, then this adapter should work for you.

https://www.startech.com/en-us/cables/tbt3tbtadap

Regards,
Jeff Petersen
Synthax Inc.

Thanks. I'll try it!

What about connecting the Interface via USB 3.0 to a hub or docking station which is connected via TB3 - if Video can be connected, it should be quite latency free..?

thank you all

OK, it sounds obvious, but I really didn' get that idea by myself... I discussed this matter with a friend, about TB3 and Adapters and so on and then I got the idea: there has to be an adapter cable USB-B to USB-C with USB 3.0 - and there is. Funny, there is no such cable at Thomann, so I bought one at Amazon for about 9€ for 2m and added some Adapters USB A-Female to USB-C-male, to connect the old cable to the USB-C-Ports and it all works perfectly well - maybe it would be a little faster with Thunderbolt, but I would have to pay about 150-200€ for the adapter and cable and so this is quite good enough for my use case.

I would love to have had a guide or something from the RME-team with tested and recommend cables and adapters to get the Interfaces working, I would have bought it in your shop. But I can see that this would be a lot of extra work for not much in return for you.

But I found my way

thank you guys

Jeff wrote:

If your notebook really has Thunderbolt 3 on this USB-C port, then this adapter should work for you.

https://www.startech.com/en-us/cables/tbt3tbtadap

Hi there. I got a lenovo p52 with a usb-c thunderbolt port. Just wanted to try the fireface 800 with the proper adaptors. Is there any issues about that? any risk in the connection? (from usb-c TB3 to Firewire 400). thanks