Re: Mac USB driver for macOS 11 & Apple Silicon hardware

I'm still out of luck, I've done everything according to the RME forum, I'm sad.
When will my RME FF800 be able to work at 100%?
I went back to Catalina, but I still have no luck.
What am I doing wrong?

Was ist bitte der letzte Stand für das Problem, dass die Fireface Soundkarte beim Neustart nicht mehr erkannt wird und was ist die aktuelle Lösung des Problems? Bei mir wird die Soundkarte nicht mehr erkannt, nachdem ich erst Big Sur 11.4 installiert hatte und danach den aktuellen RME-Treiber 3.25.

Welche Schritte muss ich in welcher Reihenfolge ausführen?
Aber bitte in deutscher Sprache ....

Danke!

My babyface has worked perfectly since I went back to Catalina.

Nothing yet?
Still wait for update FF800.
thx

jiggy wrote:
ndc wrote:

Hello all, Found a trick though - manually loading the kext with kmutil after the restart seems to straighten it out:

sudo kmutil load -p /Library/StagedExtensions/Library/Extensions/RMEFirefaceUSB.kext

Thank you Nick for this! This works but after rebooting my Mac, UFX is not recognized again. I need to run that command every time I start my Mac to make it work.

Why is this happening and how to fix this?

My mac is Intel based Mac Mini 2018. I guess why I got this issue is that I most likely clicked the multiple security and restart prompts in wrong order that ended up messing up the installation and security permissions.

-----

Edit: I noticed you and ABS managed to fix this through Recovery mode. I also opened Terminal in Recovery Mode, browsed to /Library/Extensions to check that RMEFirefaceUSB.kext was deleted. I deleted it before going to Recovery Mode using the earlier command you gave:

cd /Library/Extensions/
sudo kextutil -v 2 RMEFirefaceUSB.kext

In recovery mode, I then ran the kernel extension panic medic boot command:

kmutil trigger-panic-medic --volume-root /Volumes/YOUR_HD_DRIVE_NAME

After this I rebooted and after login, I got the Panic Medic Boot prompt saying that I need to grant permissions again to third party kernels when respective programs are launched again.

I closed the notification and I re-installed the RME Driver. This time it prompted asking the permissions again. Previously I have tried to re-install the driver dozen times but I never got the security prompt again. This time I was careful in granting the permissions in correct manner ie. when the Security prompt asked to grant the permissions to RME and asked to restart, I clicked "Not Now". Instead I restarted through the RME Driver Installer as mentioned in the instructions.

Now after rebooting and testing multiple times my mac recognizes my UFX II properly every time and opens Total Mix normally.

Hopefully this post helps others who might encounter the same issue. I hope the installation procedure could be made more bullet-proof and the instructions would highlight what are the correct steps more clearly.

Hi! I’m not good with using Terminal and I’m wondering if I am somehow entering the information wrong… Could you explain (for dummies) how I would go about executing all those commands using terminal? I feel like I’ve tried inputting those commands wrong and that’s why it isn’t working…so, any help is appreciated please and thank you.

Are you on Big Sur? Then here is the easier to follow summary:

https://forum.rme-audio.de/viewtopic.php?id=33277

Regards
Matthias Carstens
RME

207 (edited by StefVR 2021-06-28 18:45:01)

Found a bug: I use Fireface UFX+ over Thunderbolt on Mac Mini M1 latest OS update. In Logic when I choose Auto sampler it adds a midi input as intended but completely destroys the audio. Even when I close autosampler only metallic sounds come from speaker (the metallic sounds get also sampled). Only way to fix is either turn off and on the interface (works even with autosampled enabled) or by restarting Logic. Reproducable every time.

StefVR wrote:

Found a bug: I use Fireface UFX+ over Thunderbolt on Mac Mini M1 latest OS update. In Logic when I choose Auto sampler it adds a midi input as intended but completely destroys the audio. Even when I close autosampler only metallic sounds come from speaker (the metallic sounds get also sampled). Only way to fix is either turn off and on the interface (works even with autosampled enabled) or by restarting Logic. Reproducable every time.

When connecting the UFX+ via USB is it then the same issue ?

M1-Sonoma, Madiface Pro, Digiface USB, Babyface silver and blue

I didn’t connect with USB yet as I don’t have any other issues. I can change Bitrate and sample size without problems. Just when I put Auto sampler it happens so far.

StefVR wrote:

I didn’t connect with USB yet as I don’t have any other issues. I can change Bitrate and sample size without problems. Just when I put Auto sampler it happens so far.

One test you can do, disconnect the audio interface and run Logic and auto sampler and listen with headphone thru the computer port.

211 (edited by StefVR 2021-06-28 19:43:59)

That works fine. I can also run Auto Sampler turn off the Interface turn it on again and it works fine in autosampler. But I have to do this every time I fire up the autosampler.

Im using a FireFace UC MacOs BigSur 11.4 i tried the terminal command and installed the driver, soon as the installation finches fireFace Totalmix pops out and it works but the install requires a restart, after a restart i ended back a squire one no interface installed???

is there any other tricks?

not sure if I'm in the right place with this question/issue.

I have a digiface USB connected to a 2020 MacBook Pro.
This machine crashes from time to time during playing music from a network drive. For info both the NIC and RME Digiface USB are on the same USB hub. Also I run Wavelab with the IO of this RME interface.
Everything worked perfect under Catalina. Lowest buffer settings no problem, switching back and forth between outputs on the Mac itself no issues.
Then last year upon upgrading to the 1st release of Big Sur everything still worked perfect.
It may be during one of the latest releases of Big Sur that the stability of my Mac is now no longer perfect, as it crashes now and then.
I had driver v3.24 installed. I had thereafter found v3.25 on the RME website. After upgrade still the crash of the system happens. After downgrade to driver v3.24 still the same.

As such I have reinstalled entirely my Mac. It seems to work perfect with USB audio outputs that are NOT the RME Digiface. But as soon as I seem to use the RME Digiface USB (I have only installed driver v3.25) the sound via the Digiface USB gets dropouts, and after playing back / forth or switching the audio device to something else back/forth between internal output and Digiface USB it seems that the system slows down and slows down, until no response and the only solution is to shut it down.
After restart it shows that the system was improperly shut down etc with various blah.

I have then disconnected the Digiface USB and then the system seems to run fine?

Any case a long story, just to give you all the info available. Any idea what to do with the Digiface to get it up and running stably?

Thanks,

all worked perfectly and fine on OSX Catalina

ADI2, Digiface, ARC

fieldstu wrote:

I have a digiface USB connected to a 2020 MacBook Pro.
This machine crashes from time to time during playing music from a network drive. For info both the NIC and RME Digiface USB are on the same USB hub.

(…)

Any idea what to do with the Digiface to get it up and running stably?

The Digiface USB manual says: “Please make sure the Digiface USB can have the full voltage/current delivered from the computer by using hi-quality USB cables (like the one included), no USB extension cables and no USB hubs.”

Have you tried connecting the Digiface USB directly to your computer, not using the USB hub?

> For info both the NIC and RME Digiface USB are on the same USB hub

Why you not try a different USB port?

Regards
Matthias Carstens
RME

Running it straight on computer to see if I can reproduce this.

ADI2, Digiface, ARC

Noticed I was sharing a complete USB bus between the Digiface and other devices.
Put the Digiface on its own bus and extended it back on my fav USB2 ext cable and it runs fine already for 10 hours.
Hoping the issues keep resolved. Too bad for Mac there's not the USB diagnosis offered in the Win driver.
Breun, MC ,Thanks for the thoughts!

ADI2, Digiface, ARC

Since upgrading the drivers I've only had problems.
First I upgraded and rebooted and my system did not recognize UCX at all. Then I figured out that I could install the drivers and not reboot and have them work for that time.
That was only a bandaid and a couple of days ago I did a clean re-install.
Now UCX worked after reboot but I'm getting terrible audio glitches constantly when the computer is working.
Yesterday it locked my machine out of audio twice.
What is going on here and how can I fix this?

Second I don't know (different OS / installation...), but first is here:

Regards
Matthias Carstens
RME

Just a comment on the Big Sur driver won't reload issue (https://forum.rme-audio.de/viewtopic.php?id=33277, thread is closed so commenting here).

I have an Intel Mac Mini with Big Sur 11.5 and I wanted to have both the RME driver and Intel Power Gadget installed.

It seems for me the problem for me with the RME driver started when installing the Intel Power Gadget. So I followed the suggested solution ("panic medic boot"), re-installed the RME driver to get an approval prompt and then re-approved both the RME and Intel drivers.

The RME driver now works fine. BUT... the Intel Power Gadget data feed is now broken (it comes up with some instructions for fixing but they don't work).

So I'm wondering if possibly the second driver you install breaks the first.... I.e. if I went through the "panic medic boot" and re-installed Intel rather than RME that would be the working driver.

Anyway I prefer having a working RME driver to a working Intel Power Gadget so I'll leave things as they are.

Follow-up to previous post.

I decided to take the risk/experiment of installing a third driver (Yamaha MODX USB driver to create aggregate device with RME Babyface Pro).

But this time after approving in System Preferences, I also selected restart *in System Preferences* rather than *in the installer* (both present a restart button). I then got a message like "rebuilding system extension cache" or something like this.

And now all three drivers work - RME, Yamaha, and Intel. The Intel Power Gadget has sprung back into life!

So it seems very important to select restart in System Preferences (and not just jump back to the installer) after approving a driver.

Hope this helps someone.

Need Help with this.

Running new UCX II on Apple M1 Mac Mini Silicon and Big Sure 11.51

After Installing the driver it shows nothing. Can anyone Help to fix that?

Really frustrating because waiting so long for the new Interface and now it won't work.

What can I do?

Thanks for your Answers.

Greeetings

This one?

Else you need to provide more details than 'shows nothing'.

Regards
Matthias Carstens
RME

224 (edited by JustOneMoreNerd 2021-07-27 10:33:05)

Yes MC looks like this problem.

But can't fix it with this instructions. every time I write this kmutil trigger panic....into terminal it says its not working.
maybe I write it wrong or miss something but I tried a lot and won't work.

fixed the problem.

im fine.

thanks

How did you „fix the problem“? Everytime I type the command mentioned above in terminal, I‘m getting the response missing expected argument ˋ—volume-root <volume-root>´ What am I doing wrong?

Cheers,
Philip

JustOneMoreNerd wrote:

But can't fix it with this instructions. every time I write this kmutil trigger panic....into terminal it says its not working.

fixed the problem.

im fine.

thanks

Update: The correct command seems to be:

kmutil trigger-panic-medic —volume-root „/Volumes/Macintosh HD“

PAP72 wrote:

How did you „fix the problem“? Everytime I type the command mentioned above in terminal, I‘m getting the response missing expected argument ˋ—volume-root <volume-root>´ What am I doing wrong?

Cheers,
Philip

JustOneMoreNerd wrote:

fixed the problem.

im fine.

thanks

So this one did not work? Or you did not write MacintoshHD?

> Default hard drive name is Macintosh HD, where the space has to be omitted.

Regards
Matthias Carstens
RME

The command in post 1 in this thread https://forum.rme-audio.de/viewtopic.php?id=33277 didn't work for me, regardless of space between 'Macintosh' and 'HD'. Searching the internet revealed that there seemed to be various ways of "spelling" the kmutil trigger-panic-medic-command, so I tried every one of them. What worked for me was using quotation marks before / and after HD:

kmutil trigger-panic-medic —volume-root „/Volumes/Macintosh HD“

Note that I didn't omit the space between 'Macintosh' and 'HD'. After a reboot and reinstalling the drivers, I could then re-approve the drivers in Security & Privacy. After that, the USB-driver (Version 3.25) loaded, while the thunderbolt one (Version 1.21) unfortunately didn't, so I'm on USB for now. I reported the persisting problem with the thunderbolt driver to Daniel Fuchs.

I'm on Mac OS 11.5.1 using a FIreface UFX+ btw.

Cheers,
Philip

MC wrote:

So this one did not work? Or you did not write MacintoshHD?

> Default hard drive name is Macintosh HD, where the space has to be omitted.

Thanks for the clarification. Spaces are allowed between quotation marks, that's a universal rule.

For TB driver make sure the unit is in Interface Mode TB and not connected to USB. Power it off/on while connected, this might trigger detection.

Regards
Matthias Carstens
RME

I still have no luck with my FIREFACE 800 interface, I do the same thing over and over again.
Now with the „...“ and everything the same, does not detect.
Mode TB you mean "Thunderbolt"?correct?
What can i do more to solve this?

Thanks a lot

That post was about the UFX+. The FF800 does not have Thunderbolt.

Regards
Matthias Carstens
RME

I've followed all of the advice in this thread but the audio driver still seems very unstable.

It works for a while with slowdowns and dropouts and then it just wont work. If I try and play audio it just buffers, no audio comes out, no error message.
Rebooting takes forever, but works after reboot until it doesn't and you repeat the process.

Hi ALL,
Glad I found this thread as I been going nuts over this.
OSX Big Sur 11.5.2
RME FF802 connected to Ferrofish Pulse 16 MX over ADAT.
No issue when Total Mix pops up that I can see so far but if I reboot Total Mix will come up blank and I believe this is because the RME device is not available in the system.

Run the command in terminal it all pops up.
Install again the Total Mix pops up but after reboot all is gone.

Went into Recovery Mode and did the commands but with reboot same situation.

BTW never get the security prompt in OSX to allow it just installs after password authentication.

It would be super excellent this issue is fixed as I am not fond of having a reboot and some of my outputs now pushing 48volts to gear that does not need this. No it is not one of my profiles saved either.

FIXED :  FF 800 not connecting after Big Sur 11.6 update. Driver not showing.

I tried all the kernel reset suggestions and multiple installs, what resolved it for me was installing 'driver_fw_mac_339'

I'm scared to run 'driver_fw_mac_340' again but my gut feeling it would work now.

Either way the older driver on the new system is working for me.

Hope this helps.

pertidstrand wrote:
jiggy wrote:

In recovery mode, I then ran the kernel extension panic medic boot command:

After this I rebooted and after login, I got the Panic Medic Boot prompt saying that I need to grant permissions again to third party kernels when respective programs are launched again.

Hi! This helped me, after which re-installing the driver and following all instructions did the trick. My UFX is now running again.
Thanks!

Guys pls help me how to actually type this ? It doesn't work for me...my hdd name is Macintosh HD so it type
kmutil trigger-panic-medic --volume-root /Volumes/MacintoshHD

Macintosh HD is not the same as MacintoshHD, keep the space between the words correct.

laczagabor wrote:

Guys pls help me how to actually type this ? It doesn't work for me...my hdd name is Macintosh HD so it type kmutil trigger-panic-medic --volume-root /Volumes/MacintoshHD

Post 228.

Regards
Matthias Carstens
RME

Hi all members and support,

I installed new version BIG SUR 11.6 and connected the FF800 RME, installed the drive again, and it worked, but when I restart the MAC everything is the same, it does not recognize the FF800, but if I reinstall the drive again, it recognizes the FF800 in the system, but the system forces you to restart the MAC and everything becomes the same.

Any help, is it, any permission is not accepted at system startup? and if so, what is it?

At this point I re-installed and FF800 is working without rebooting, but it requires a reboot.

Regards
Matthias Carstens
RME

241 (edited by enricoclaudio 2021-10-05 04:55:31)

iMac running macOS 11.6 and RME Fireface UCX II running latest firmware and USB Driver 3.26. UCX II missing after restart. Reinstalling USB Driver fixes it until next reboot. Very frustrating. Love the audio interface but this bug makes it annoying.

Update: Following the instructions from post #166 fixed the issue for me. Now after rebooting my iMac, the UCX II is back up and TotalMix starts.

ABS wrote:

Hey just wanted to follow up, I believe I solved the issue by running the following:

cd /Library/Extensions/
sudo kextutil -v 2 RMEFirefaceUSB.kext

Since then the Babyface is being recognized and it appears to work across reboots.

I did boot to safe mode and manually added 67AK2U2X7M to my kext consent list before, so also try that if the command alone loading doesn't work.

My impression is the problem I was encountering was not related to the security authorization. I did not get the security prompt after a clean reinstall of the drivers because I had already allowed access -- it appears in my case the kext was simply not be loaded properly.

Hope this helps.

I opened terminal in safe mode, i pasted the address you gave with MacintoshHD at the end but the terminal says ERROR OCCURRED TRIGGERING… PLEASE REBOOT RECOVERY AND TRY AGAIN

243 (edited by francis1661 2021-10-07 09:05:56)

hello all, so at some point, like many others here my FF400 stopped working with my m1 MBP (running big 11.6)
after booting to recovery mode, i ran the extension panic command, when rebooting it prompted that i will need to re allow permissions but the permissions did not appear in system prefs. then i ran the extension panic command again, and installed the latest 3.40 drivers, then i could enable the drivers in system prefs, i restarted my system via the RME installer but still nothing. any ideas?

You use the FF400 with power supply and have the switch on the back in the correct position? You have a second computer to verify it did not simply die?

Regards
Matthias Carstens
RME

Hello,

I am using an M1 Mac Mini with RME Babyface Pro. I've read through this thread and followed all the instructions...

I rebooted in recovery mode and enabled the security settings that allow me to run kernel extensions that I choose

I downloaded the current drivers for Babyface Pro (327)

I then installed them

But when I check my security settings to allow the kernel extensions, nothing shows up

I also started Totalmix and Fireface usb settings to see if they would trigger the "allow" option, and nothing happens

I then tried restarting my computer to see if maybe that would trigger something, still nothing

Also tried opening up those apps again to see if they trigger the "allow" button after rebooting, again nothing

I don't know what to do at this point. I've gone through all of these steps multiple times and nothing seems to be working.

Please help!

Check physical connections: Make sure the Babyface USB cable is fully snapped in on the side of the unit. Does it connect direct to the Mac or do you use any hub, extender or adapter?

Check the Babyface Pro is not set for CC mode: This mode is for class compliant use (iPad) and will not trigger the RME driver.
https://youtu.be/Xs8w3nyZ3s8

If these steps do not help see here: https://forum.rme-audio.de/viewtopic.php?id=33277

Regards,
Jeff Petersen
Synthax Inc.

247 (edited by francis1661 2021-10-12 14:05:52)

francis1661 wrote:

hello all, so at some point, like many others here my FF400 stopped working with my m1 MBP (running big 11.6)
after booting to recovery mode, i ran the extension panic command, when rebooting it prompted that i will need to re allow permissions but the permissions did not appear in system prefs. then i ran the extension panic command again, and installed the latest 3.40 drivers, then i could enable the drivers in system prefs, i restarted my system via the RME installer but still nothing. any ideas?

just coming back here to report that it was all the PSU fault, which have seemed to die on me and also cause the unreliable connectivity issues. i wonder if the new M1 computers are more sensible to that? since the psu had no issues to power on the FF400 but connecting was always a problem. i changed it to another 2A 12v (in my case its an elektron 2A psu) and everything is working fine on 11.6. what i did notice and might help other users is that the way to get my FF400 always recognized is to connect it AFTER the MBP was turned on, booted and logged in. if i do this in this order i can put it to sleep, connect, reconnect and it will work fine.

Just a quick note regarding this.
I had this driver problem for each Big Sur update until 11.6
Now it seems to be OK.

An to help with how to do break outs of space in the terminal:
Spaces has to be broken out with a backslash. You can often use double quotes as well, but not always.
example

/Volumes/Macintosh\ HD

as noted earlier this might also work

"/Volumes/Macintosh HD"

If you use TAB completion when typing a command in Terminal, it will fill out the break outs for you.
The simplest is of course to rename your boot volume, since Macintosh HD is so little nerdy!!!

To elaborate on these break outs, it gets even harder if someone uses () in file or folder names, for instance
My Music (2021) woule be in terminal:

My\ Music\ \(2021\)

Not easy at all! And this is why we avoid spaces and pesky characters as () in file and folder names in post production at all costs.
It simply makes it much harder to automate and script in bash, zsh or Pyhton.
my_music_2021 or my-music-2021 is so much simpler to automate!

Just my 2 cents of nerdiness!

Pål

Thanks, Pål. I've seen spaces or quotes help in some case, but there didn't seem to be a clear pattern.

Regards
Daniel Fuchs
RME

Added Pål's useful note to the pinned thread.

Regards
Matthias Carstens
RME