Topic: digiface usb pre-amp options w/DSP

I've been happy with my digiface usb and routing flexibility with totalmixfx.

I do find myself wanting to be able to monitor with rme's DSP integration.

With that in mind, is there an rme interface that has a couple of preamps with DSP...that I can hook up to Adat for the audio stream, but control the DSP via totalmix over usb/Ethernet?

The idea being I'd like to keep my audio interface to the computer through the digiface....but be able to access the totalmix fx control of the DSP in an Adat connected device, to the digiface.  I just don't know if that's possible without using a seperate usb interface, that has the pre's with Dsp...

Thanks in advance!

Re: digiface usb pre-amp options w/DSP

davesollows wrote:

I do find myself wanting to be able to monitor with rme's DSP integration.

What are your applications for this what do you want to do ?

davesollows wrote:

With that in mind, is there an rme interface that has a couple of preamps with DSP...that I can hook up to Adat for the audio stream, but control the DSP via totalmix over usb/Ethernet?

In regards to the DSP: every RME recording interface with a built-in DSP chip and ADAT I/O.
See the Excel File in my blog article: https://www.tonstudio-forum.de/blog/ind … B-MADIfac/

But to control / operate it you need to connect it to the PC through USB/TB.

Only TotalMix FX can be remote controlled from another Windows computer in the network using TotalMix Remote.

davesollows wrote:

The idea being I'd like to keep my audio interface to the computer through the digiface....but be able to access the totalmix fx control of the DSP in an Adat connected device, to the digiface.  I just don't know if that's possible without using a seperate usb interface, that has the pre's with Dsp...

What for ? What exactly is the point ? May I ask the counter question why you don't sell the Digiface USB (or keep it as a backup) and just get a UCX II or UFX II ?

As nice as a connection via ADAT is, but ...
You only get 8 channels routed over it and that only at single speed (44.1/48 kHz).

Let's assume you want to connect a UCX II via ADAT to the Digiface USB. The UCX II is an interface with 20 I/O ports (40 in+out) but only one ADAT port. You would then have a lot of "waste", because you would have to make a selection 8 out of 20, what you want to have routed via ADAT.

With a recording interface with 2 ADAT ports like the UFX II you could route at least 16 of 30 channels via ADAT at single speed.

But honestly, make a UCX II or UFX II your main interface.

And in this point your request is not detailed enough, I don't understand at all why you want to do this necessarily over ADAT.

BR Ramses - UFX III, 12Mic, XTC, ADI-2 Pro FS R BE, RayDAT, X10SRi-F, E5-1680v4, Win10Pro22H2, Cub13

3 (edited by davesollows 2021-07-25 13:49:37)

ramses wrote:

What are your applications for this what do you want to do ?

Live low latency monitoring of FX during tracking, while maintaining the routing flexibility of tmfx.

ramses wrote:

In regards to the DSP: every RME recording interface with a built-in DSP chip and ADAT I/O.
See the Excel File in my blog article: https://www.tonstudio-forum.de/blog/ind … B-MADIfac/

But to control / operate it you need to connect it to the PC through USB/TB.

Only TotalMix FX can be remote controlled from another Windows computer in the network using TotalMix Remote.

I'd like to minimize the number of usb devices passing audio streams into my PC.  If it's only using usb to control DSP parameters I am comfortable with that.

Ramses wrote:

What for ? What exactly is the point ? May I ask the counter question why you don't sell the Digiface USB (or keep it as a backup) and just get a UCX II or UFX II ?

See first response, plus have the option to track with DSP printed on the way in.  Selling and upgrading is an option...but I already have the digiface, so if rme offers something that can compliment it rather than replacing it...that's fine...the other option would be to use hard ware for any outboard processing, and splitting the input signal so I can print dry and affected signals at the same time.

Ramses wrote:

As nice as a connection via ADAT is, but ...
You only get 8 channels routed over it and that only at single speed (44.1/48 kHz).

Let's assume you want to connect a UCX II via ADAT to the Digiface USB. The UCX II is an interface with 20 I/O ports (40 in+out) but only one ADAT port. You would then have a lot of "waste", because you would have to make a selection 8 out of 20, what you want to have routed via ADAT.

With a recording interface with 2 ADAT ports like the UFX II you could route at least 16 of 30 channels via ADAT at single speed.

But honestly, make a UCX II or UFX II your main interface.

And in this point your request is not detailed enough, I don't understand at all why you want to do this necessarily over ADAT.

I could do that indeed.
I never track higher than 48khz.  I would like to be able to also use other Adat/spdif connected preamps as well. 

I will restate the use case for clarity.  Can I connect a UCXII via Adat to the digiface (audio steam), and the ucx via usb to the computer (DSP control from total mix)? I would also like to connect a vocal mic to the pre amp input of the ucx, and route the dry and wet signals from the ucx to seperate Adat channels within total mix for direct monitoring and printing. 

I hope my response provides clarity.

I think you can, but I don't get why you would not use only the ucxII and no digiface?
Just asking so we might give you a better answer.

Vincent, Amsterdam
https://soundcloud.com/thesecretworld
BFpro fs, 2X HDSP9652 ADI-8AE, 2X HDSP9632

+1

BR Ramses - UFX III, 12Mic, XTC, ADI-2 Pro FS R BE, RayDAT, X10SRi-F, E5-1680v4, Win10Pro22H2, Cub13

vinark wrote:

I think you can, but I don't get why you would not use only the ucxII and no digiface?
Just asking so we might give you a better answer.

The digiface allows me to connect 4 individual Adat/spdif devices, providing preamp options.  The ucx limits me to one Adat expansion.

While 80% of the time I probably would just use the ucx as stated.  I'd like to be able to access my other interfaces when recording without having to re-cable everything.

The ufx-ii provides an additional Adat Io, but that's still more limiting than the digiface and now we are breaking the bank.

Maybe the answer is if really want to play with rme's DSP, I just get a Babyface.  And just use that when I don't need to access the digiface connected devices.

> The digiface allows me to connect 4 individual Adat/spdif devices, providing preamp options

Is this a theoretical aspect ? Or how many devices do you currently have, that would need connection ?

Also consider that the Digiface USB's headphone output is least powerful compared to other interfaces
and that you have no DSP.

Also in terms of Word clock consider, that there are preamps out there without ADAT Input so that you would
- either need to make such a device as clock master (not that tragic) or
- would need to implement word clock, but the Digiface USB doesn't support Wordclock

I personally would choose one device as main device, which really gives you what you want.
In your case the ideal option would be UFX II and perhaps sell the rest...

By using the UFX II you will have peace in mind for a long time.
Use UFX+ then you have peace in mind forever as there are many possibilities to expand later by using MADI and then you have still ADAT free for some other nice stuff like I do, e.g. to create a link to HiFi for "Main Out B" or to be able to use the PC as excellent Music Player by e.g. using MusicBee which can - with a pluging - be controlled by an Android Smartphone or Tablet as remote control.

8 (edited by ramses 2021-07-25 15:50:17)

I think you would also have an advantage by using a bigger (UCX II) or even flagship interface (UFX II / +) as main interface,
because then you have
- several analog ports (mic, instr, analog) already as a basement where the number of ports doesn't change depending on the selected sample rate (ADAT looses 50/75% of channels with double/quad speed)
- full latency compensation for all ports by the ASIO driver
- general RME features that you won't find on the smaller interfaces anyway, e.g.
   - AUTOSET (UCX II, UFX II/+
   - DUREC (UCX II, UFX II /+
   - full implementation of FX chip (BBF pro: dynamics to be calculated on PC through driver)
   - better phones outputs with more power to even drive higher ohm headphones
   - better support for standalone operation by display (UCX II, UFX II/+)
   - 6 user profiles that you can store on the device for stand-alone operation (UCX II, UFX II/+)
   - Word Clock
   - Direct USB Port to connect ARC USB for stand-alone operation (UCX II, UFX II/+)
   - Analog ports supporting different reference levels on analog inputs and outputs (UCX II, UFX II/+)
   - UFX+: two different interfaces towards the computer USB3, Thunderbolt, USB2(without MADI)
     USB3/TB for either lowest latencies and if your computers USB or TB should cause issues, you still have a plan b

And UCX II, UFX II/+ offer additional digital ports, so that it is still possible to add a preamps, but still integrate later an ADI-2 Pro FS R BE if you like: https://www.tonstudio-forum.de/blog/ind … our-Setup/

In short, the flagship interfaces give you so much more features and by this investment protection.
Look .. 20y old interfaces like FF400 or FF800 are still in use and get full driver support.
You can regard this as investment for "lifetime", esp. in terms of UFX+ including USB3/TB and MADI.