Topic: Stuck buffer in Sequoia when another program uses Windows Audio

Hi RME

I have had this issue for years and just put up with it, but I'm wondering if you have a solution.

On my studio PC, it runs all day with Sequoia on ASIO, no problem.  I do have one 8 channel block set up as WDM surround Windows Audio device.

Occasionally I might use another program that uses WDM (or is it MME? I can never tell the difference).

Now if I start Sequoia again (ASIO remember), I get a stuck buffer sound.  DA DA DA DA DA DA.....  a short grain of the last sound in the WDM buffer.

Sample rate is the same.  The WDM device is set to exclusive. 

Now if I start the application (or any application) using WDM device, play for a moment, and then press PAUSE on the program transport, it clears the stuck buffer.  But if I play and STOP - it returns (when Sequoia is open).

I think I saw MC commenting to this some years ago but I can't find the post.

Any solution or infor due to cause?

Thankyou!

Madiface XT, Madiface, 3x Micstasy, ADI8QS
Sequoia 17, W10 x64
https://bsound.co.nz/tools-nix

Re: Stuck buffer in Sequoia when another program uses Windows Audio

A proper player clears the buffer in pause and stop mode to prevent such stuff. As long as ASIO is running the whole hardware keeps running, thus the driver, including WDM. Remaining data in the WDM buffers is then played in a loop.

Did you try the option Optimize Multi-Client Mixing on the Global tab? Might help.

Regards
Matthias Carstens
RME

Thanks for the reply MC.

I've dug a bit deeper and it seems it's due a peculiarity of my setup.  I use Reaper as a multiple source mixer, and a monitor router for my final ASIO output. 

Sequoia outputs to certain ASIO channels, which I loopback and input into Reaper, where I have various switchable surround and stereo monitor paths and VST plugins over those paths like metering and Dirac Live. 

If I eliminate Reaper from the equation, and have Sequoia outputting direct to speaker outputs, and WDM based apps using those same speaker outputs, the stuck buffers don't happen.  Multi client has no effect on or off.

If I replace Reaper with another ASIO app like Plogue Bidule in ASIO mode with some quick hacky routing, the issue returns.

So it seems like my issue is caused by 2x ASIO apps running in concert with WDM output to the same devices - when STOP in WDM apps is used.  PAUSE is no problem.

Can you think of any other factors I should look into?

Thanks!

Sequoia 17, W10 x64

You have a lot of channels - can't you separate the WDM outputs and mix them to the right hardware outputs by TM?

Regards
Matthias Carstens
RME

MC wrote:

You have a lot of channels - can't you separate the WDM outputs and mix them to the right hardware outputs by TM?

It's true! But it's surprising how quick channels get eaten up in a surround and 96K capable setup, with inputs and outboard.

Actually though the whole point of the loopback to Reaper based monitor router (via ASIO channels) is so that everything can go through a path utilising Dirac Live* including references like Spotify, Foobar 2000 and Netflix in 5.1. 

I can come up with work-arounds using other WDM output devices and bringing them back in via MADI channels, but it would be good to understand why 2x ASIO apps + WDM brings the buffer Borg.  :-)

* it's really really good.

Sequoia 17, W10 x64