1 (edited by phillipus 2021-05-09 12:06:50)

Topic: DSP Multiface I has host error but only first thing in the morning

This is a very strange issue.

I have a Hammerfall DSP Multiface I with PCI card which I bought in about 2003 and is still working fine...except for first thing in the morning.

When I boot the PC in the morning the red light on the box stays on to indicate a Host error. The only way I can get it to initialise correctly is by turning off the PC and re-booting into Windows. After this is done all is fine for the rest of the day. It doesn't matter how many times I turn the PC off and on for the rest of the day it will continue to be OK, it is only a problem for the very first boot in the morning. However, if I start the PC in the afternoon it is also fine and the red error light does not show.

So, the only way to initialise it correctly is:

- Boot the PC and log in to Windows (red light on error)
- Turn the PC off
- Boot the PC again and log in to Windows (red light goes off)

Things I have tried when I get the red LED error but that don't fix the issue:

- Disconnecting and reconnecting the cable at the PCI card end and at the box end (the RME Settings window shows "Detected" then "Error")
- Rebooting the PC *without* logging into Windows several times

Because the card initialises OK in the afternoon I wondered if it was something to do with the temperature?

Specs
-----

Hammerfall DSP Multiface I with PCI card
Driver 4.36
Hardware Revision: 17
Windows 10 64-bit

Asus Z97-A Motherboard
Nvidia GeForce GTX 970
8Gb RAM

Re: DSP Multiface I has host error but only first thing in the morning

What is the revision of the PCI card? See here:

https://archiv.rme-audio.de/old/english … sp_pci.htm

Regards
Matthias Carstens
RME

3 (edited by phillipus 2021-05-09 20:00:39)

Hi Matthias, thanks for your reply.

The revision as printed on the card is 1.7

phillipus wrote:

Things I have tried when I get the red LED error but that don't fix the issue:

- Disconnecting and reconnecting the cable at the PCI card end and at the box end (the RME Settings window shows "Detected" then "Error")

Actually, this morning, when I got the red light error I disconnected and reconnected the cable three times at the card and eventually managed to initialise the box.

You should try an external power supply for the MF.

Regards
Matthias Carstens
RME

MC wrote:

You should try an external power supply for the MF.

Thanks. Is that 12v DC, 2A, centre negative?

The Multiface will accept AC and DC, as it were. The RME power supplies are pin positive.

Regards
Daniel Fuchs
RME

I haven't tried an external power supply yet, but thought I'd add a comment just out of interest.

Now that we have warmer weather the external box is initialised correctly when booting the computer in the morning. This seems to be related to temperature. How can that be?

9 (edited by HowlingMod 2021-11-01 09:04:47)

perhaps strange to comment here. but it is not a host error problem, but that the Word Clock, when the RME Hammerfall DSP Multiface (1st gen) starts, after cold boot, in the morning, the Word Clock LED lights up, in the Hammerfall DSP Settings, you see sometimes LOCK and even SYNC, under Word Clock.

well i don't have Word Clock connected..

i always notice when seasons change, also equipment can act differently, or other electrical apparatus...

it is cold now in the morning.

it happens only the first minutes. in a way of course no problem. after that it is steady.

by the way, indeed a RME Hammerfall DSP Multiface (1st gen), with a PCI card (Rev 1.8), connected via supplied cable, and a Startech PCI Express to PCI Adapter Card.

drivers: 4.38
windows 10 pro 21H1 (up to date)
Ryzen 9 5900X on a Gigabyte Aeros X570 Elite

(sidenote: when flashing the PCI Card, the RME wasn't used for a long time, it was a gift from a friend, we give eachother stuff, we don't need, or make good prices for it.. a nice combi with my 2021 system/canvas, because well, indeed the driver efficiency is higher, and great latencies..
when flashing the PCI Card to firmware 55, it failed, but i call it flashing with crashing, windows 10 crashed, i didn't gave up, and eventually it succeeded.)

my previous main soundinterface was a Motu Ultralite Mk3 Hybrid, not bad, but the drivers, and the what is called the 'double buffer', made it a dated soundinterface. also the effiency, but that can also be the drivers, was less..

so quite pleased to have soundinterface, that perfectly suits my needs. i use a Roland MMP-2 as pre-amps, for 2 mikes, s/pdif (Multiface as master).

but the Word Clock 'search', and that it even locks and syncs.. is a bit strange.. or not?

EDIT: it is great to have an up-to-date canvas, because i work ITB, with a 19 year old soundinterface that performs, well i can't compare it to all new stuff, but for the price (only the Startech PCI Express to PCI Adapter Card...), well...
and with Roland MMP-2, not quite known, but not bad, it works for me, even great. and that thing must also be 19 years old or so... me like...

Win 10 Pro
Ryzen 5900X
Startech PCI-e to PCI Adapter/PCI Card Rev. 1.8
RME Hammerfall DSP Multiface

Hi HowlingMod.

Does the Startech adapter card work OK for you? I've just built a new PC with no PCI slots and was thinking of trying one.

11 (edited by HowlingMod 2021-11-01 09:24:57)

phillipus wrote:

Hi HowlingMod.

Does the Startech adapter card work OK for you? I've just built a new PC with no PCI slots and was thinking of trying one.

works without any problems! i wanted to make a seperate thread, but it is mentioned here several times, and also on Gearspace, that Startech PCI Express to PCI Adapter Card is the one (there are others), that works..

flawlessly (perhaps it did interfere with the flash update process, but unlikely, i think).

and that on a X570 aeros elite, with an AMD... as if AMD is less, but because of some compatibility issues, but also Intel suffers from it (the mentioned Motu wasn't stable, after switching programs (ASIO), and some time; crackles on the AMD system, completely stable). EDIT: some controllers not recognized, solution, a USB PCIe card, with another chipset, and that works...

so, try one! it seems that it works for a lot of people or all, even. and the HDSPe card, second hand is more expensive, than you buy a complete Multiface... even with a HDSPe card, if you can find one, nowadays..

long story short: excellent. no stability issues. using multiple DAW's, and other tools/programs that use ASIO.
latency, well... great, low.. and efficient.. the bridge doesn't seem to add a lot, perhaps only in nanoseconds..

i can never post short messages......

Win 10 Pro
Ryzen 5900X

Hi HowlingMod,

thanks for the info on the Startech.

One more question - how does it fit into the PC case? Is the height of the PCI card and the Startech too high for the PC's back plate?

phillipus wrote:

Hi HowlingMod,

thanks for the info on the Startech.

One more question - how does it fit into the PC case? Is the height of the PCI card and the Startech too high for the PC's back plate?

no!

i used the full profile bracket that comes with the Startech.
it fits well, even if it isn't really low-profile...
but a perfect fit, even.. don't forget the molex connector.
there is a Molex to SATA power adapter included, i think, all the boxes have other contents at this moment. not on the box, so it comes from something else.. even new power supplies, have enough molex..

build desktops myself, also for others (DAW) sometimes. but sometimes a bit chaotic..

but short answer; it fits!

Win 10 Pro
Ryzen 5900X