Topic: ADI 2 DAC / PRO FS BE outputs question

Hello!
Choosing my fisrt main device to use with headphones and monitors.
I have a questions, please help:
1. ADI 2 PRO FS has two XLR outputs (marked as main outputs 1/2) and two i believe jack next to them (marked L and R).
I'd like to know, if I will be able to use XLR outputs for my stereo monitors, and L and R jacks for subwoofer or two.
2. ADI 2 DAC has two XLR outputs too, and RCA outputs next to them - the same question, is it possible to use this outputs for monitors and the sub or subs for 2.1. and 2.2?
Unfortunately I can't use connection dac -> sub -> monitor.
Thanks a lot for your attention!

Re: ADI 2 DAC / PRO FS BE outputs question

I have this same question.
If I am able to simultaneously use the XLR and RCA Outputs, can they be controlled separately or, can the gain be adjusted independently?

3 (edited by KaiS 2021-11-21 00:14:13)

Yes, XLR and 1/4“ Jack (ADI-2 Pro) or XLR and RCA (ADI-2 DAC) can be used simultaneously.

Level CANNOT be set independently, but that’s usually not necessary for connecting a sub, as sub’s usually have a level control.

There is an option for the rear outputs to be muted when you plug headphones.
Headphones and speaker use their own settings, like EQ, Bass/Treble and Loudness, which is switched automatically then.

For a sophisticated, yet simple way how to setup and optimize a sub configuration, look here:
https://forum.rme-audio.de/viewtopic.ph … 12#p155312

4 (edited by ramses 2021-11-21 07:54:07)

I would use a sub where you can connect the satellites directly to the sub and have the active crossover integrated into the sub. Makes IMHO everything much easier.

Check the Neumann manuals of these products, which different setups are supported, gives you a good overview:

For Stereo:       https://www.thomann.de/de/neumann_kh_750_dsp.htm
For Stereo:       https://www.thomann.de/de/neumann_kh_750_dsp_aes67.htm

For larger setups:
For Stereo/7.1: https://www.thomann.de/de/neumann_kh_810.htm
For Stereo/7.1: https://www.thomann.de/de/neumann_kh_870.htm

BR Ramses - UFX III, 12Mic, XTC, ADI-2 Pro FS R BE, RayDAT, X10SRi-F, E5-1680v4, Win10Pro22H2, Cub13

ramses wrote:

I would use a sub where you can connect the satellites directly to the sub and have the active crossover integrated into the sub.

sadly it's impossible in my case.

KaiS wrote:

Yes, XLR and 1/4“ Jack (ADI-2 Pro) or XLR and RCA (ADI-2 DAC) can be used simultaneously.
Level CANNOT be set independently, but that’s usually not necessary for connecting a sub, as sub’s usually have a level control.
Headphones and speaker use their own settings, like EQ, Bass/Treble and Loudness, which is switched automatically then.

Thank you for your answer. So REAR XLR for monitors, and REAR Jack for sub\subs, right? It's important for me.

7 (edited by KaiS 2021-11-21 16:38:24)

habit wrote:
ramses wrote:

I would use a sub where you can connect the satellites directly to the sub and have the active crossover integrated into the sub.

sadly it's impossible in my case.

Not necessary, follow my link above.
Depending on the size of the mains, bass quality often is better if the mains still contribute more or less to the bass energy.
Better impulse response and better room coupling.

habit wrote:
KaiS wrote:

Thank you for your answer. So REAR XLR for monitors, and REAR Jack for sub\subs, right? It's important for me.

Or vice versa, feel free to use what fits.

Thank you for the answers all. It appears that there is multiple interest in this particular configuration.

ramses wrote:

I would use a sub where you can connect the satellites directly to the sub and have the active crossover integrated into the sub. Makes IMHO everything much easier.

Check the Neumann manuals of these products, which different setups are supported, gives you a good overview:

For Stereo:       https://www.thomann.de/de/neumann_kh_750_dsp.htm
For Stereo:       https://www.thomann.de/de/neumann_kh_750_dsp_aes67.htm

For larger setups:
For Stereo/7.1: https://www.thomann.de/de/neumann_kh_810.htm
For Stereo/7.1: https://www.thomann.de/de/neumann_kh_870.htm

Hi ramses! I have the KH 120's and plan to grab a KH 750. I plan to connect the sub and monitors just as you've outlined in your post. I was wondering, are you aware of a way that the sub can be toggled on and off, so that one can listen to audio with and without the sub as different references? I'm hoping there is a setting in the ADI-2 Pro FS that allows this, which would help avoid the need to purchase an additional foot pedal, or other device which allows such toggling. Thanks for any insight you can provide!

I am no fan of subs, but if you get one, then it should have active crossover integrated.

Sorry, whether it can be bypassed, I don't know.

Ask Neumann or Genelec. As a side note … It might be the case that Genelec has a few advantages over Neumann, when discussing this with a forum colleague in private e-mail. I do not remember the gory details, compare closely the features and whether the product requires apple for e.g. measuring or whether you have more freedom to choose.

BR Ramses - UFX III, 12Mic, XTC, ADI-2 Pro FS R BE, RayDAT, X10SRi-F, E5-1680v4, Win10Pro22H2, Cub13

Indeed, the Neumann sub (KH 750) has active crossover. I'm going to call RME tomorrow and find out if either the ADI-2 Pro or the UCX II has some sort of control that allows one to toggle a sub connected to monitors on and off. I'll also call Neumann and ask then. I came across a post on this forum in which someone outlined a method of toggling with the ADI-2 Pro, but I can't seem to locate that thread now. Maybe I subscribed, so I'll check my subscriptions now!

12 (edited by bejoro 2023-07-11 06:44:08)

The Neumann monitors are great products. Very good price performance ratio. Technically and sound wise extremely well performance. Very good decision!

With the MA1 measurement microphone incl. MA software (Win, Mac) for automatic monitor alignment you will never go back and use your setup without your KH 750 subwoofer. The corrections will be stored within the DSP memory of the KH 750. Perfect subwoofer integration and monitor alignment, very easy to use.

If your budget allows the additional 300 bugs for the MA1 I would highly recommend it.

You connect the KH 120 to the  KH 750 directly.
Only two outputs at the ADI-2/4 PRO needed.

Hi bejoro! I'll be using the monitors and subs as part of a home recording studio, so that's why I'd need to toggle the sub on and off. In such an environment, one mixes with the sub off primarily, but then can turn it on to see how the mix is translating to a more full-range system, and ensure the low-end isn't off. I'm actually still deciding if I'm going to go with the UCX II alone and add an external headphone amp (will need two headphone outputs), or pair the UCX II and ADI-2 Pro FS (silver) for a much more expensive setup, but with a much better headphone amp and all the other outstanding features of the ADI-2 Pro FS.

With the UCX II only setup, I could grab something as inexpensive as a Presonus HP4 for $150 since its only function would be to provide an additional headphone output for times when I am monitoring someone through headphones while they are tracking vocals while wearing headphones. This, the second headphone output wouldn't need to be of the highest quality, as no mixing would ever take place through it. With the UCX II and ADI-2 Pro FS setup, I'd now have a top-tier recording and monitoring setups with no weak links in the chain at all. I'm pretty sure I read in a thread on this forum (which I can no longer locate) that the ADI-2 Pro FS had settings that allowing one to toggle the subwoofer on and off. If so, and the UCX lacks this feature, I would be pulled in the direction of the UCX II/ADI-2 Pro FS combined setup. If the ADI-2 Pro FS will not let me toggle the sub on and off, I'll have to find another solution such as a foot pedal or whatever Neumann can point me in the direction of, at which point the ADI-2 would likely be overkill since the UCX II provides enough I/O for my purposes.

I'll be sure to update the thread with any info I get from RME and/or Neumann. I'll also let you all know if I locate that RME Forum thread. The thread creator went into great detail about settings he/she discovered within the ADI-2 Pro, and I am bummed that I didn't bookmark the thread. I cannot seem to find my thread subscriptions on this site, so for now, it's as if I never came across the doggone info haha.

skeptastic wrote:

I'm hoping there is a setting in the ADI-2 Pro FS that allows this, which would help avoid the need to purchase an additional foot pedal, or other device which allows such toggling. Thanks for any insight you can provide!

There is the Bass Management setting on the KH 750 DSP. You can control it with a switch on the KH 750 DSP control panel or with the control app. This is described in the manual.

Thank you unplugged! As much as I'd love to have an switch or setting that I could access from my monitoring seat, I have no problem getting up off my butt to switch the bass management setting from "activated" to "disabled." Found the manual, read the necessary info, and am excited! Thank you!

There's now definitely a chance that I end up passing on the ADI-2 Pro FS and going with the cheap Presonus HP4 to get that extra headphone output (well, four of them to be exact, but I only need one). The only issue I'd have left is that the headphone amp would take up my final two analog output slots. There are 6 on the UCX II, and I'll use two for main monitors, two for outboard hardware mixing, and the final two for the headphone amp. I didn't wanna spend the extra coin for a UFX II, especially with how few extra outputs I need. Anyway, with just the UCX II, I'd have to use the provided Presonus monitor outputs for my second pair of monitors. These happen to be very inexpensive laptop quality speakers meant to help me check mixes on something resembling what the average end user listens to music through. So, really, it won't be such a big deal that these monitors miss out on the RME D/A.

I'll have the UCX II and ADI-2 Pro here to test for a while before I have to decide whether to keep or return the ADI-2, so I better go ahead and get that headphone amp so I can A/B the external amp monitor outs vs the RME analog outs and see if the difference is even noticeable with such low quality monitors haha. I doubt it, but you never know. If I do need access to better quality D/A for the second set of monitors, the ADI-2 Pro comes back into play because other quality external headphone amps like the Grace M900 are around $660, while I found the ADI-2 Pro for $1180 and it includes so much more than just a couple of headphones outputs. For $520, no way I pass up on what the ADI-2 Pro offers. But for $150 vs $1180 (Presonus vs ADI-2 Pro FS), the ADI-2 Pro is a tougher sell. And those Presonus units can be had for like $55 used on Guitar Center's website, with a generous return policy.

I think I'll order the Presonus headphone amp now and give everything a go in the next few days when it all arrives! The ADI-2 Pro will be here today, the UCX II is slowly making its way here (the U.S.) from Germany, and I can get the Presonus by the end of this week if I order now. If I wasn't still looking to purchase a new mic as well, I'd likely splurge and commit to keeping the ADI-2 no matter what. But $1000 goes a long way in the world of microphones lol. Thanks again for you help with the KH 750!

Okay, so after doing some research, I finally found the Presonus HP4's output impedance, which is 51 ohms. Definitely far too high for the 32 and 38 ohm headphones I use. I somehow forgot to consider the 1/8 rule. I'll be on the hunt for an inexpensive, low impedance amp. Otherwise, the ADI-2 Pro will win out.

17 (edited by skeptastic 2023-07-15 18:05:34)

After a few days of research and conversations, I've come to some conclusions.

1. Inexpensive headphone amps often require the use of analog outputs and don't provide their own set of analog outputs with which to pair a second set of monitors. If they do provide this feature, the quality is quite poor, or they use RCA outputs instead of balanced XLR/TRS.

2. Inexpensive headphone amps have impedance that is higher than typical studio headphones. Again, a quality issue.

3. Inexpensive headphone amp/DAC units can have all required features, low impedance, digital or balanced output connections, and seem to be a slam dunk. But, there are reliability concerns (Topping, as the primary example), and I am a stickler for reliability.

4. Having ruled out the inexpensive units, only a unit like the Grace M900 headphone amp fits the bill, is around $600 to $650, and provides headphone amp only. Actually, it does provide unbalance RCA outputs, but I wouldn't be able to use these with my monitors. This unit would work because it has digital inputs, so I'd have the six analog outputs of the UCX II free for connecting two pair of monitors, and a stereo outboard mixing chain. Perfect!

So now it coms down to whether I should save $500 to $600 and go with a headphone amp alone (Grace M900), or splurge and get the ADI-2 Pro FS? That's one remaining question.

The other question I have pertains to the ADI-2 FS. Not the DAC FS or Pro FS, but the standard ADI-2 FS. This can be had for $640 right now, and includes AD/DA. I am having the most difficult time finding comparisons between the ADI-2 FS and ADI-2 Pro FS. I understand a bit about the differences between the units, but reading the manuals to compare makes it tough to process what the practical differences are. Basically, it's hard to determine if one fits my usage better than the other. If anyone has gone through a comparison of the two RME units and has any input or perhaps a chart detailing the main differences, you would be a hero!

Anyway, that's my spiel. I've ruled out the Topping, Schiit, and other comparable lower-budget units. It's come down to the Grace M900, the ADI-2 FS, and the ADI-2 Pro FS (silver edition with no remote).

18 (edited by ramses 2023-07-15 18:47:39)

ADI-2 FS is simply an AD/DA converter with a headphone output for monitoring.

No USB port, not any of the ADI-2 DAC/Pro special features, see my blog article:
https://www.tonstudio-forum.de/blog/ent … ses-en-de/

Those who prefer the ADI-2 DAC FS now because of its lower price might find later that adding an ADI-2 FS to the setup to get analogue inputs (for digitizing analogue treasures) costs more and takes up more desk space. Moreover, this would still leave you without all the features of the ADI-2 Pro. So, it's worth thinking about investing directly in an ADI-2 Pro FS R BE or maybe even ADI-2/4 Pro SE, which would also offer a phone input besides other useful features.

The ADI-2 FS does have analog inputs, so I am confused when you mention folks possibly needing to upgrade in order to digitize analogue music.

I definitely wouldn't need the USB port, as I'd be chaining the ADI-2 FS to the UCX II. I've also read that article in full, but it doesn't include any comparison to the ADI-2 FS. In fact, when searching for info on the ADI-2 FS online, it is as if it never existed. All you can find info about is are the Pro and DAC models. It is quite odd and makes it tough to make a decision.

All that I really need an additional unit for is a second headphone output, and of course if it includes more highly-rated AD/DA conversion, I'd also go ahead and use the analog inputs and outputs of the unit for my recording and monitoring chain. Still, I could just as easily use the ADI-2 FS as a headphone amp alone and use the UCX II for all other needs, without any issue. In this way, it is just like the Grace M900, except with RME's exceptional reliability and ease of integration with the UCX II.

Is the headphone output of the ADI-2 FS independent of the rear analog outputs? I understand that with the Pro FS you have headphone outputs 1/2 and rear analog outputs using the same DAC, and then headphone output 3/4 using a second DAC. I can find no info in the manual of the ADI-2 FS related to whether the phone output and analog outputs are associated with the same DAC. This is a major consideration, as I wouldn't love having to unplug headphones from the ADI-2 FS phone output to hear sound through monitors connected to the analog outputs. But, I can't find info about this anywhere.

In the end, it comes down to the ADI-2 FS being the same cost as a Grace M900 or other high-level headphone amp, with easier integration into the RME system. If it can also act as an AD for my outboard preamp and microphone, that is amazing, and I don't yet understand why this would not be possible sine it has analog inputs. If it can additionally run a pair of monitors through its analog outputs and allow one to hear operate monitors and phones independently, this is the golden ticket. With the ADI2 Pro FS, I know I can do all of those things, but this is mostly because I can find this info everywhere I look. I cannot find such info on the ADI-2 FS anywhere, so it feels like a gamble. Feature like loudness, B/T control, balanced phones, and so forth really don't weight heavily into my decision, as I am using these interfaces for audio recoding, playback, and mixing. There is a $600 difference in total cost of an ADI-2 FS and ADI-2 Pro FS, so this is not a small matter, if the ADI-2 FS does all that I believe it will. Just cannot find sure answers to my questions.

I'll call RME on Monday. It seems like that will be the best way to go, unless someone here can lay out what the differences are between the 2 FS and 2 Pro FS. Either way, I appreciate these discussions. This is a fantastic forum. I've been able to find so much useful info on the Pro FS and other RME gear. It's just the ADI-2 FS that seems to be a unicorn on the internet lol.

20 (edited by ramses 2023-07-15 20:11:18)

Please read my mail again, I looked once more but can't find any mistakes. You have understood it wrong and therefore come to wrong conclusions.

Once again ...

1. the ADI-2 FS is a pure AD/DA converter, without USB, so it cannot be used stand-alone like a USB DAC. As already mentioned, have a look at the special features in my blog article.

2. also in my blog article I have explained that you should consider before whether you look only at the price and get only the ADI-2 DAC or not better the Pro.

I just assume that you would take the ADI-2 DAC anyway because the ADI-2 is an excellent AD/DA converter but not a USB DAC.

Just assume you would get the ADI-2 DAC because it has the more interesting feature set anyway.

Assume you wanted to digitize analogue things at some point. You just can't do that with the ADI-2 DAC because it has no analogue inputs.

You would then have to either
a) sell the ADI-2 DAC and then buy the ADI-2 Pro FS (money loss due to purchase/sale) or
b) upgrade the setup by buying an ADI-2 FS (additional costs).

Neither a) nor b) is worth it. Then it's better to buy the ADI-2 Pro FS directly or ... if you want to have other features, the ADI-2/4 Pro SE.

I hope you have understood it now, but in short form I have already brought it exactly to this point in my previous posting.

Furthermore, how you intend to use the ADI-2 FS? It is not a recording interface it has no USB port (side note: also no TotalMix FX, but maybe you do not need something like this if you are only listening to music).
Do plan to connect it to SPDIF outputs of your computer's mainboard? Please detail your intended setup, thanks.

21 (edited by skeptastic 2023-07-15 20:24:48)

I think you are actually misunderstanding me, as I have seen happen numerous times on this forum. I am referring the ADI-2 FS, not the DAC. This is the unit that has AD and DA. This seems to be a major point of confusion. This is why I did not understand what you were saying. And I mentioned in my posts that I am pairing any of the contenders (ADI-2 FS, ADI-2 Pro FS, Grace M900) to a UCX II. This is why I am mostly interested in the headphone amp, its operation being independent of the rear analog outputs, and so forth. When you mentioned not being able to use analog inputs to digitize analog treasures, this led me to assume you were referring to a DAC model. I have only mentioned being interested in the ADI-2 FS and ADI-2 Pro FS, with AD/DA models.

I have understood you clearly, but I am guessing now that you have not understood me. I hope this clears things up, as my focus is on the lack of info anywhere regrading the ADI-2 FS (not the ADI-2 DAC FS, or ADI-2 Pro of any sort). For extra clarity, here is a link to the unit I am referring to:

https://www.rme-audio.de/ADI-2-FS.html

My setup will be a UCX II as the main interface, and I am just looking to connect an additional unit with a headphone output and great reliability via a UCX II digital output. Anything above the headphone output is icing on the cake, and this is where I run into the ADI-2 FS vs ADI-2 Pro FS comparison. I'm not an audiophile, so I don't need bass/treble adjustment, balanced phone outputs, or the loudness feature, as awesome as I'm sure those features all are.

And yes, I'm definitely now aware that I should have gotten a UFX II instead of going this much more complicated route. But I already own the UCX II now and it would be costly to return it to Thomann ($135), as I am in the U.S. That is totally on me, but I will understand if someone wonders why in the heck I'm going through all of this instead of getting the unit with the phone output I need. I made the decision to buy the UCX in haste, as it was out of stock for a long time and finally came back in. After I ordered I realized I'd forgotten I will need an additional phone output from time to time, but even having tried to cancel my Thomann order within 12 hours of placing it, they had already processed and shipped it out. Great service, but too quick this time around haha!

I hope this also clears things up, as if it were someone else and I was riding all of this, I would be wondering myself why they didn't just get a UFX II.

23 (edited by ramses 2023-07-15 21:41:48)

Yes, seems I missed the beginning. I only saw you weren't the opener of this thread and you put up already quite a few questions regarding ADI-2 FS and ADI-2 Pro FS. Then I noticed the subwoofer and I didn't expect that I have to go that far to old postings. So my confusion arose.

It's quite a long story already, but may I ask you whats wrong with the combination of e.g. UCX II and ADI-2 Pro FS?
I am proposing here the ADI-2 Pro FS, because unlike ADI-2 DAC FS it has AES I/O.
Then you can connect it for monitoring (phones or active monitors) to the AES output of your UCX II.

If you want to listen via headphones then you have even 3 headphone outputs by this, because the UCX II has already one which is also good and the ADI-2 Pro FS (which has 2 D/A converter) offers you two more.

You say you would like to connect even a 2nd pair of active monitors … Also possible, so what would you say about this setup:

PC
|
UCX II------AES-----ADI-2 Pro FS R BE----AN3/4-------- headphones
|                                                         ----AN1/2--------sub (with active crossover) ---------Satellite L
|                                                                                                                             ---------Satellite R
|                                                        optional: if two phones are plugged
|                                                          ----AN3/4----------headphone1
|                                                         ----AN1/2----------headphone2
|
+------------AN1/2----2nd pair of monitors
|
| [external device(s) ]
+---->----- AN3/4 OUT---->-----Device #1
+----<----- AN5/6 IN------<-----/
+---->----- AN5/6 OUT---->-----Device #2
+----<----- AN7/8 IN------<-----/

You have even 1x ADAT I/O free for other things.

How to integrate the ADI-2 Pro into your setup, see my blog:
https://www.tonstudio-forum.de/blog/Ent … our-Setup/

24 (edited by skeptastic 2023-07-15 21:59:13)

That makes sense, and I definitely understand where you're coming from. It would have been wiser to start my own thread.

I don't think anything is wrong with a UCX II + ADI-2 Pro FS combo. Honestly, it's probably ideal! I was just thinking that I could save quite a bit of money going with the ADI-2 FS, as Thomann currently has it for $640.

I think you are, again, confusing the ADI-2 DAC FS with the ADI-2 FS. The ADI-2 FS also has AES i/o, just like the ADI-2 Pro FS. I'll post a link here again for clarity:

https://www.rme-audio.de/ADI-2-FS.html

Much of the layout of possible chains and connections you have listed seems possible with the ADI-2 FS, except it lacks one extra phone output. So I couldn't dual phones with the ADI-2 FS, but I could still use the phone output of the UCX II and the ADI-2 FS. As you listed, my intent is to run one pair of monitors from the ADI-2 analog outputs, and another pair from the UCX II analog outputs. I also plan to do as you said, and link the ADI-2 FS to the UCX II via AES or SPDIF.

So, really, my main concern is whether the ADI-2 FS phone output is linked to the rear analog outputs, in the same way that the ADI-2 Pro FS phone 1/2 is linked to the analog outputs. The Pro FS has phone outputs 3/4, so this is an easier solution. But, if the ADI-2 FS phone output is not linked to the analog outputs, this setup also works perfectly and saves quite a bit of money. I would lose out on some extra features of the Pro FS, but they aren't vital for my use case.

To be honest, I really wish I'd just gone with a UFX II or used UFX+, having now read a lot in threads related to those units. I'd miss out on the extra headphone power, and the improve conversion of the ADI-2 units, but I'd have an all-in-one interface for simplicity. I could try selling the UCX II and would likely get all but $25-$50 back based on revenant sale prices, but it's still not something that seems as inviting as moving on and deciding between the two ADI units I'm considering.

I have already written RME and hope for a reply some time next week, but may main question at this point is whether the ADI-2 FS headphone output is chained to the rear analog outputs. If they are independent, the unit has everything I'd need, and the price combined with the UCX II price puts me under the price of any RME interface that comes standard with two headphones outputs. I still don't think it's worth it to save the money, but I can't return the UCX II and start fresh, unfortunately.

25 (edited by ramses 2023-07-15 22:40:58)

I am not confused, I am asking whether your desire for an UFX II could be solved by the combination of UCX II and ADI-2 Pro.
From what I read from you, you have the UCX II already and the combination with the ADI-2 Pro FS would IMHO solve all your demands and would give you a D/A converter / headphone amp, which no other product could give you.

If I am not mistaken, your requirements were
1.) to connect a sub
2.) to connect a 2nd pair for active monitors
3.) to be able to connect at min 2 headphone outputs
4.) to get a high-quality headphone amp

Regarding #4 … The ADI-2 FS has zero of the ADI-2 DAC/Pro's outstanding features.
You could even use their PEQ to fine-tune your headphones (if you want) to more linearity
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_Nq9ZGAYTwU

The Bittest is also very helpful to ensure that the audio chain is lossless "end-to-end" from player up to the DSP.
And so on and so on. Numerous features that the ADI-2 FS does not have.

I am uncertain whether you understood all the ADI-2 Pro's features, and you told already that the differences are not clear to you and I have a certain feeling that this is still the case.

Or are you certain, that you do not need all the good features of the ADI-2 Pro what makes it to this fabulous converter and headphone amp?

Yes, I'm sure it could be solved by this combo. My only concern is whether it could also be solved by substituting the ADI-2 FS for the ADI-2 Pro FS, and thus save quite a bit on cost.

It seems to me that there just isn't any info on this product using an internet search, and I'll need to wait for a reply from RME. I do appreciate the info I've gotten on the Pro FS, though! I've also learned a lot about the UFX II and UFX+. No hard feelings at all. This site is a wealth of information! I just can't seem to get concrete answers regarding the functionality of the ADI-2 FS vs the ADI-2 Pro FS here, or anywhere for that matter, and hope to get the info I need in order to weigh the two options.

Then the point is simply, that you do not understand the product differences. And I told you already, the ADI-2 FS is only a converter with headphones output for monitoring. It offers nothing comparable to the ADI-2 Pro FS, all those special features you have only with ADI-2 DAC, Pro and ADI-2/4 Pro SE.

It should be evident to you by simply reading and comparing the features sets of both products, you only need to read the 1st pages of both manuals plus maybe on top my blog article that outlines the highlights of the ADI-2 DAC/Pro product line.

And as you could read, only those products will get the application to remote control the device and the PEQ so that you have it even easier to make PEQ adjustments to linearize your phones.

28 (edited by KaiS 2023-07-15 23:29:04)

I‘d step back for a moment and think about if UCX II wouldn‘t serve all your needs, with all the I/O’s it offers.
You can probably skip the ADI-2 ideas.

2nd headphones:
Add a Schiit Magni, powerful and quality analog headphones amp, if you need a 2nd independent headphones out and you‘re done.
I have a Magni III and there’s nothing to criticize.

Monitors:
Never treat a satellite + sub monitor speaker system as individual speakers by connections of the sub to an extra output, this only causes confusion when trying to judge your mixes.
You won’t get a proper sub integration if you don’t use the sub’s bass management even for the satellites.
Use Neumann’s options to optimize it, and their sub management to switch between with-/without-sub arrangements.
Reminder:
https://forum.rme-audio.de/viewtopic.ph … 47#p204947

29 (edited by skeptastic 2023-07-16 00:15:34)

ramses, I will state again, the manual for the ADI-2 FS does not mention whether the headphone output and the rear analog outputs share an amp/DAC and if, for example, using the headphones mutes the monitors. I honestly find it strange that you keep dodging around my primary concern, and instead focusing on being correct. Thank you for the help you've offered, but it is clear that you must not know the answer to my question regarding the operation of the headphone output vs analog outputs, which makes me wonder why you won't just say this. As it stands, I have contacted RME and will get an answer in the near future. I have read both manuals, front to back, and my question is not answered in the manual of the ADI-2 FS. I have stated this many times, but I suppose it bears repeating?

You are correct, I do not understand the product differences when it comes to the question I have, or else I would not ask it. This doesn't automatically imply that I am lazy and have not done my due diligence. I find it interesting how easily you point to a list of differences for certain models, which shows you are aware that there is a need for these differences to be spelled out for the average customer. But, when it comes to the ADI-2 FS, suddenly, I am to blame for not reading. I have no idea why you couldn't just state that you don't know the answer to my question, and move on. Does it bother you when you don't know the answer to something? And then you choose to deflect and attempt to make the person asking the question feel inferior, or as though they haven't done what they need to do to answer it for self? Just odd and, frankly, kind of mean.

I won't ask you any other questions. If I cannot find an answer myself, I will specifically direct any inquiries to individual members, or you can just ignore my posts as if they do not exist. I didn't want it to come to this, but I am honestly tired of reading posts of yours in which any member who doesn't seem up to your standard is treated disrespectfully. It isn't necessary.

30 (edited by skeptastic 2023-07-16 00:36:26)

KaiS wrote:

I‘d step back for a moment and think about if UCX II wouldn‘t serve all your needs, with all the I/O’s it offers.
You can probably skip the ADI-2 ideas.

2nd headphones:
Add a Schiit Magni, powerful and quality analog headphones amp, if you need a 2nd independent headphones out and you‘re done.
I have a Magni III and there’s nothing to criticize.

Monitors:
Never treat a satellite + sub monitor speaker system as individual speakers by connections of the sub to an extra output, this only causes confusion when trying to judge your mixes.
You won’t get a proper sub integration if you don’t use the sub’s bass management even for the satellites.
Use Neumann’s options to optimize it, and their sub management to switch between with-/without-sub arrangements.
Reminder:
https://forum.rme-audio.de/viewtopic.ph … 47#p204947

Hi KaiS. Hope your day is going well. Thanks for your input!

You know, I looked into the Schiit line of amps and amp/DAC units, and couldn't find one with the right I/O (balanced XLR or digital inputs) that fit the bill. I came extremely close to getting a Topping amp that has XLR inputs and a very well-reviewed headphone output. The issue there was taking up two of my analog outputs. So then I lose either the ability to route to outboard gear during mix time, or outputs for the second pair of monitors. My issue with the Magni was the unbalanced RCA i/o seeming like a downgrade. Then, I found the EX5 by Topping, which has digital inputs and a well-regarded headphone amp. Price is right as well! But, I suddenly came across a lot of posts about Topping units failing, and got scared away. That's when I discovered the ADI-2 FS, which gives me the RME reliability, a headphone out, and a lot of other possibly useful functions (balanced XLR outputs for monitors, digital I/O, etc). If I knew the Topping unit would last as long as the RME, it would help a lot, but one can only give it a shot and see what happens. I tend to lean in the direction of reliability above all else, so that's why I ended up on the more costly RME units. But for $640, the ADI-2 FS seems like a great compromise. Just can't yet determine if I get use of the phone output and rear analog outputs independently of one another.

You are spot-on about the sub and satellite setup. I saw that mentioned in the thread and just ignored it, as I already knew the optimal setup would be analog outs to sub, then sub outs to satellite inputs. And as you said, with Neumann especially, it would ruin the cohesiveness of the sub/satellite system not having them directly connected.

Thanks again for your post. I appreciate it.

NOTE: Edited for spelling and grammatical errors

> Just can't yet determine if I get use of the phone output and rear analog outputs independently of one another.

Check manual .. ch 6.4

32 (edited by kanefsky 2023-07-16 02:01:50)

skeptastic wrote:

You know, I looked into the Schiit line of amps and amp/DAC units, and couldn't find one with the right I/O (balanced XLR or digital inputs) that fit the bill. I came extremely close to getting a Topping amp that has XLR inputs and a very well-reviewed headphone output.

JDS Labs makes a lovely headphone amp you can order with either balanced or unbalanced inputs: https://jdslabs.com/product/el-amp-ii/

The volume knob alone is worth the price smile

Here's a review thread.  I think performance has even been improved slightly between the II reviewed here and the latest II+ model: https://www.audiosciencereview.com/foru … view.9973/

also a standalone review for the II+ model: https://www.audiophile-heaven.com/2022/ … power.html

ramses wrote:

> Just can't yet determine if I get use of the phone output and rear analog outputs independently of one another.

Check manual .. ch 6.4

Thank you. Looks like I did miss this when reading. Also looks like they share the same DAC, so likely the same deal with ADI-2 Pro FS rear out 1/2 and phones 1/2. I suppose if there is a way to toggle it would be fine.

kanefsky wrote:
skeptastic wrote:

You know, I looked into the Schiit line of amps and amp/DAC units, and couldn't find one with the right I/O (balanced XLR or digital inputs) that fit the bill. I came extremely close to getting a Topping amp that has XLR inputs and a very well-reviewed headphone output.

JDS Labs makes a lovely headphone amp you can order with either balanced or unbalanced inputs: https://jdslabs.com/product/el-amp-ii/

The volume knob alone is worth the price smile

Here's a review thread.  I think performance has even been improved slightly between the II reviewed here and the latest II+ model: https://www.audiosciencereview.com/foru … view.9973/

also a standalone review for the II+ model: https://www.audiophile-heaven.com/2022/ … power.html

The JDS labs units look great and save quite a bit! I truly don't need the conversion quality of the RME units. I only like them for their renowned reliability and drivers. I'll dig into JDS Labs' reliability reputation, but feel free to let me know what your experience or knowledge is regarding them. I already see they have a longer warranty than Topping units, and they are US-based, so easier to get help if there is product failure. Thanks you kanefsky!

skeptastic wrote:

I already see they have a longer warranty than Topping units, and they are US-based, so easier to get help if there is product failure.

If you contact them for support you'll probably get help directly from the president of the company smile

kanefsky wrote:
skeptastic wrote:

I already see they have a longer warranty than Topping units, and they are US-based, so easier to get help if there is product failure.

If you contact them for support you'll probably get help directly from the president of the company smile

Word up! This is promising stuff. Thanks again. Just got back from a 7-mile run, so I'm cooling off and then diving head first into all things JDS lol. The ASR review you linked me to was solid, and the EL AMP II+ data provided by JDS shows THD + N on par with all other top units reviewed by ASR. I'm still digging into this ADI-FS situation as well because $400 is a lot of cash, but the ADI-2 FS also includes an incredible DAC, digital outs, and so forth. I'm not sure the Pro FS is worth it for me, though, unless JDS reliability is poor or the ADI-2 FS won't allow me to toggle between monitor and headphones with phones plugged in.

37 (edited by KaiS 2023-07-16 05:45:14)

skeptastic wrote:

... My issue with the Magni was the unbalanced RCA i/o seeming like a downgrade...

...So then I lose either the ability to route to outboard gear during mix time, or outputs for the second pair of monitors.

1. RCA doesn’t degrade audio quality.
You can even have balanced and unbalanced paralleled on the same output, just don’t ground-link XLR pin 3 for the unbalanced RCA adapter.

2. Sacrificing a 2nd DAC for a 2nd identical signal / analog destination is a misconception and a waste.

I have various monitors connected to the same DAC out in my studio (although I have more than enough DACs) using analog switching.

This thing solves it all:
https://www.amazon.de/Nobsound-Switcher … mp;sr=1-11

https://m.media-amazon.com/images/I/31ObS6Xp2YL._AC_.jpg

https://m.media-amazon.com/images/I/719KRP3zmdL._AC_SX679_.jpg

This one is even more versatile:

https://www.amazon.de/Nobsound-Stereo-A … amp;sr=1-9

https://m.media-amazon.com/images/I/613rPpSI0kL._AC_SX679_.jpg

https://m.media-amazon.com/images/I/41l4DhN29fL._AC_.jpg

38 (edited by ramses 2023-07-16 08:05:30)

With all the discussion about other DACs, I wonder why one should simply do without the features of an ADI-2 Pro. Cheaper and more spartan equipped is, of course, is always possible. But is that really intentional and sensible?

It strikes me that the questioner has unfortunately not specified what his budget is at all. If devices like the ADI-2 Pro are really out of the ordinary, why then making any thoughts about this?

Here is my well-intentioned recommendation.

If you can afford it, you should still consider an ADI-2 Pro FS R BE. The devices are worth their money with all their possibilities. Take your time and inform yourself about the possibilities. The manual is great, and I did my best to give a good overview and pointed in my blog article to interesting YouTube Videos to deepen some topics.

I would at least try it out. I don't know what the conditions for online trade are like in the USA, but here in Germany, for example, you can have something sent to you with a 31-day money-back guarantee at Thomann. You can even extend the period if there are concrete reasons if you talk to the people. Isn't there something comparable in the US? At least money back for 14 days?

Try the ADI-2 Pro first, before you make the half-hearted decision to give preference to a device that offers far less.
The ADI-2 Pro has so many useful features and the possibility to optimize your headphones using the PEQ.
It even gets a software to be able to configure the PEQ more easily.
https://forum.rme-audio.de/viewtopic.ph … 75#p204175

The competition will not match the qualities and features of an ADI-2 Pro, there is no comparable device on the market.

And you must not forget one thing in your cost planning. You don't buy an RME device only for around 3–5 years, like some other typical consumer devices. Just look at what RME has built into the ADI-2 DAC/Pro series in the past 7 years in terms of additional features without having to pay anything. The ADI-2 DAC/Pro is definitely the more sustainable product, and therefore all thoughts about cost are put into perspective. The device is admittedly not cheap, but really worth its price.

You could even consider getting an ADI-2 DAC, but I wouldn't do for some reason
- its price raised by €229, in contrast to that, the price of the ADI-2 Pro FS R BE is still the same old one when I last looked. So, the price reduction of the ADI-2 DAC is not the same as it used to be (below €1000), this gives the ADI-2 Pro FS a higher value for the money.
- you would need to use the ADAT port, with the ADI-2 Pro you could use the AES port of your UCX II and have ADAT free for other future expansions. Workaround: using coax SPDIF to connect ADI-2 DAC, but I like the galvanic isolation of optical SPDIF

39 (edited by skeptastic 2023-07-16 19:57:56)

ramses wrote:

With all the discussion about other DACs, I wonder why one should simply do without the features of an ADI-2 Pro. Cheaper and more spartan equipped is, of course, is always possible. But is that really intentional and sensible?

It strikes me that the questioner has unfortunately not specified what his budget is at all. If devices like the ADI-2 Pro are really out of the ordinary, why then making any thoughts about this?

Here is my well-intentioned recommendation.

If you can afford it, you should still consider an ADI-2 Pro FS R BE. The devices are worth their money with all their possibilities. Take your time and inform yourself about the possibilities. The manual is great, and I did my best to give a good overview and pointed in my blog article to interesting YouTube Videos to deepen some topics.

I would at least try it out. I don't know what the conditions for online trade are like in the USA, but here in Germany, for example, you can have something sent to you with a 31-day money-back guarantee at Thomann. You can even extend the period if there are concrete reasons if you talk to the people. Isn't there something comparable in the US? At least money back for 14 days?

Try the ADI-2 Pro first, before you make the half-hearted decision to give preference to a device that offers far less.
The ADI-2 Pro has so many useful features and the possibility to optimize your headphones using the PEQ.
It even gets a software to be able to configure the PEQ more easily.
https://forum.rme-audio.de/viewtopic.ph … 75#p204175

The competition will not match the qualities and features of an ADI-2 Pro, there is no comparable device on the market.

And you must not forget one thing in your cost planning. You don't buy an RME device only for around 3–5 years, like some other typical consumer devices. Just look at what RME has built into the ADI-2 DAC/Pro series in the past 7 years in terms of additional features without having to pay anything. The ADI-2 DAC/Pro is definitely the more sustainable product, and therefore all thoughts about cost are put into perspective. The device is admittedly not cheap, but really worth its price.

You could even consider getting an ADI-2 DAC, but I wouldn't do for some reason
- its price raised by €229, in contrast to that, the price of the ADI-2 Pro FS R BE is still the same old one when I last looked. So, the price reduction of the ADI-2 DAC is not the same as it used to be (below €1000), this gives the ADI-2 Pro FS a higher value for the money.
- you would need to use the ADAT port, with the ADI-2 Pro you could use the AES port of your UCX II and have ADAT free for other future expansions. Workaround: using coax SPDIF to connect ADI-2 DAC, but I like the galvanic isolation of optical SPDIF

Budget isn't an issue. I have a family, and don't like leaving money on the table when I don't have to. The fact is, I do not listen to audio using headphones at home other than when tracking vocals or monitoring someone else tracking vocals. If I'm not recording music, I only listen to audio through monitors. So, although the RME units have an outstanding feature set, they don't tickle my fancy as much as they might someone who spends a lot of time listening through headphones. I don't mix with headphones either, so a headphone amp for monitoring during audio recording is really all I need. Even an included DAC is a bonus feature.

Before digging into external amps, I was completely unaware of brands like Topping, JDS Labs, and Schiit. I had no idea there were companies focused almost exclusively on making DACs and headphone amps. For that reason, I started out looking at headphone amps from companies like Presonus and Mackie, then quickly learned that many of these inexpensive units have high output impedance. I then looked into monitor controllers, which I'm much more familiar with, but recalled that active ones lack transparency, and passive ones split the signal, which can be fine, but isn't something I'm interested in.

Naturally, this led me to look at how to get the best quality headphone amp, and I came across the ADI-2 series. It was after looking into the series that I stumbled upon many threads making mention of the Topping, Schiit, and most recently, JDS Labs units. When one is considering his family in all purchases, it is difficult to ignore a $200-$250 amp or DAC/amp versus a $2000 AD/DA/amp found for a steal at $1180. The question then becomes, do I really need the AD of the ADI-2? Factually, no, as I have the UCX II. It would be a cool bonus, but not necessary. So then, is a DAC and two headphone outputs worth $1180? Sure! The ADI-2 DAC units sell for about the same, so $1180 for the ADI-2 Pro FS is a great deal. But, again, $200-$250 for a DAC/amp that has digital inputs is incredible, especially with how well they rate. The only question left is whether they are reliable. I am sure RME products are reliable, so there is the conundrum.

I hope this clears up why I am not jumping at the chance to own or even try the ADI-2 Pro FS. To reiterate, I will never sit at home and listen to music leisurely using headphones. It just isn't something I do. So all of the features like loudness, B/T control, crossfeed, and so forth have little to do with my use case. In the end, people buy products when the value exceeds the price. For me, the value of the ADI-2 Pro FS may not exceed the price because of all the extra features that I will not use.  This doesn't mean it might not be the best unit, just that there is more to my decision than a tremendous set of features, especially if they have no value to me. But, this is why the ADI-2 FS still intrigues me, because for $640 vs $250 for the JDS Labs/Topping units, I get the RME reliability, a great DAC, the one headphone output I actually need, and the seamless integration with the UCX II. It is simply hard to make a case for the Pro FS over the ADI-2 FS, given my needs and the price spread.

I hope this makes sense. Budget isn't a factor. I can afford the Pro FS. I just don't like spending money on things that are shiny and alluring, yet potentially overkill for my needs.

I stand corrected. There are some truly unique and useful features in these ADI-2 Pro FS models (FS and FS R). The protection for equipment, warning messages that can make the screen a godsend, ability to EQ headphone output to push vocals more forward during tracking without committing to permanent EQ changes, auto ref levels (pretty dang genius), etc. I see a lot of benefits for studio use, and it's a shame I almost missed them while focusing on going for the bare necessities.

I am definitely one to apologize when I am in error, and I want to apologize to you, ramses, for not listening and neglecting to really dig deeper into both the manual and you article on the differences between the various ADI units. I was so set on trying to save money and assumed that a lot of the features were meant for audiophiles, when many are protective and also quite useful for a recording studio. I could certainly do without the FS or FS R, but I think I'd miss the informative screen and its visual cues. It also doesn't hurt to have top-notch AD/DA and are up I/O on the UCX II for seconds set of monitors, outboard mixing, and so forth.

I've decided to go with one of the two units (Pro FS or Pro FS R), and now need to determine if the remote and few added features are worth it. I know there's a digital DC protection feature that could be useful. The extra filters don't really grab me. Loopback recoding could be cool, but I don't currently have a use for them. I'm also not sure I'd use the remote, as I like the idea of turning knobs and such. The improved measurements due to the AK4493 chip are awesome, but also way past the point of making an audible difference. Seems like it would really come down to the digital DC protection, loopback recording, and remote.

I can get the ADI-2 Pro FS for $1275 including tax, or the Pro FS R for $1600 including tax. I think I'll probably go with the older Pro FS, but anyone, feel free to try and steer me one way or the other. And ramses, thank you again for your numerous attempts to get me to look deeper into the features I might not have really seen and/or understood. This was truly the case, and I will take this as a lesson to do better at heeding the advice of those more familiar with things I'm interested in, instead of assuming my research has been done satisfactorily and I've got things all figured out. I'm ashamed, but I'm also okay admitting that and learning form my mistakes.

41 (edited by ramses 2023-07-17 10:50:11)

Thanks, no problem. Important is that you get the solution that you want/prefer.

It is difficult to explain the usefulness of a unique device that otherwise does not exist on the market. I think you got it now, that you need to take some time to get an overview of such a device with a rich set of capabilities.

I have two ADI-2 FS R BE, one for the HiFi and one for the Studio corner, and the device is very useful in both use cases.
This, to the point that you thought, initially, that it might be more something for HiFi and not studio use.

In the studio corner, this device is very useful for me. Not only the conversion quality, but also from a handling and troubleshooting perspective.

It acts as kind of monitor controller and protects my equipment and my ears. With TotalMix FX it can happen that with certain operations you dial-in in 0dB which can be extremely loud if you have big level mismatches. Those can be solved by attenuators, some other topic, see also this useful thread: https://forum.rme-audio.de/viewtopic.php?id=25399

If you use the ADI-2 Pro in your monitoring section, then you can leave the output level of the UCX II at 0dB and fine tune the volume by using the ADI-2 Pro. If you plug in headphones, there will be a slow ramp-up of volume. Should it be too loud, you still have a chance to remove the phones from your head. The same if you unplug phones or if you remap a front key to switch between monitors and headphones. Slow ramp-up of volume = ear/environment protection.

Nevertheless, you should use attenuators, if your monitors have no volume control or are still too loud whatever you do (by e.g. lowering the input sensitivity if they provide such a switch and what not). In this case, you can also use higher volume levels with the ADI-2 Pro.

Regarding levels, I regard it as extremely useful, that the device offers 4 different reference levels (the ADI-2/4 Pro SE even 5). With auto ref level, the optimum reference level will be chosen. Even B/T, Loudness and PEQ settings will be honoured. By this, you can lower the output of the DAC over a much wider range without loosing much of its dynamic and SNR.

When I listen to music besides work, then the loudness function is very useful, as it works dynamically and if I need more silence the sound doesn't become flat. The max amount of Bass and Treble to be added is also configurable. This is useful in every situation where you are not mixing and mastering, but listening to / enjoying music.

Another thing that I use rather frequently, the state overview. Here you can check / troubleshoot digital connections and see important parameters in terms of digital connections.

Furthermore, very useful, the Bittest to ensure that you have a fully lossless digital audio path.

SRC (Sample Rate Converter) I do not use often, but I am planning to connect devices in the future which only support certain sample rates. By that I can fully decouple the sample rate of such devices (DAT, guitar Processor) and use the sample rate in my project as I want. No other product (except the new Digiface AES) has such an SRC. So, this is IMHO a very valuable feature.

Being able to switch between active monitors and phones (I keep them plugged) by remapping one of the front keys, I have a very nice toggling capability, including the ramp-up of volume. Another bonus, this saves me one snapshot in TotalMix FX for other things.

With this device, you will have a lot of fun and also enhance security (ear protection) and workflow nicely.

I would get the ADI-2 Pro FS R BE to get the remote. In some situations, it can become very handy, as you can remap the keys of the remote as well. Then you can easily switch the one or other thing on or off for comparison, in case you are sitting at medium distance. Even choose different stored configs to compare D/A filter and what not.  It has the slightly newer AK4493 chip with a little higher SNR and an additional D/A filter "SD LD".

The older ADI-2 Pro FS is, of course, still well without a remote, slightly older AKM DAC chip with only a few dB SNR less which won't hurt. The older ADI-2 Pro has holes for racking, the newer model with the remote not any more.

42 (edited by skeptastic 2023-07-19 10:02:13)

KaiS wrote:
skeptastic wrote:

... My issue with the Magni was the unbalanced RCA i/o seeming like a downgrade...

...So then I lose either the ability to route to outboard gear during mix time, or outputs for the second pair of monitors.

1. RCA doesn’t degrade audio quality.
You can even have balanced and unbalanced paralleled on the same output, just don’t ground-link XLR pin 3 for the unbalanced RCA adapter.

2. Sacrificing a 2nd DAC for a 2nd identical signal / analog destination is a misconception and a waste.

I have various monitors connected to the same DAC out in my studio (although I have more than enough DACs) using analog switching.

This thing solves it all:
https://www.amazon.de/Nobsound-Switcher … mp;sr=1-11

https://m.media-amazon.com/images/I/31ObS6Xp2YL._AC_.jpg

https://m.media-amazon.com/images/I/719KRP3zmdL._AC_SX679_.jpg

This one is even more versatile:

https://www.amazon.de/Nobsound-Stereo-A … amp;sr=1-9

https://m.media-amazon.com/images/I/613rPpSI0kL._AC_SX679_.jpg

https://m.media-amazon.com/images/I/41l4DhN29fL._AC_.jpg

Geez this is beautiful in its simplicity. I could use the ADI-2 Pro FS alone as long as I'm fine skipping out on TotalMix FX, use my DAW, and have a killer setup. It took me some time to think things over more and realize I will not be routing audio out of the DAW and into outboard gear to mix. I may track with some minor EQ and compression on the way in via outboard gear, but I actually plan to mix ITB. Outboard mixing has just gotten tedious, as far as recall and ownership of massive amounts of stereo hardware. Plugins have come a long way. It's crazy because I'd gotten comfortable with the thought of the UCX II + ADI-2 Pro FS combo, but I could grab the Nobsound and really be done with it all if I go ADI-2 Pro FS. I could, alternatively, choose to go either UCX II or Pro FS and grab a separate headphone amp, but spend so much less. Realizing how few outputs I actually need has made me realize a UCX II + Pro FS setup is overkill for now. Plus, the systems aren't going anywhere, and I could always add one or the other at a later time.

Of course, if I grab both the UCX II and Pro FS, my studio setup is future-proofed for quite a while, and I don't have to think about things like headphone amps or monitor controllers. Really, it's a win-win situation since the cost of the units isn't an issue. I really want that ADI-2 Pro FS because of the incredible pricing and the fact that I won't miss what I've never used (direct monitoring for near-zero latency). If It becomes a problem, I suppose I could just add a Digiface USB. The ADI already has two phone outputs for those moments when I need them both, top-class AD/DA, and the Nobsound takes care of using one set of analog outputs for two sets of monitors. Eliminate the need to worry about routing configurations and the whole nine. I'm already comfy using Logic Pro, so there is zero learning curve, except for learning and choosing the ADI-2 settings I like most.

The plot has thickened!

Thanks for the idea KaiS.

EDIT: Found the Audio Science Review forum thread for the Nobsound unit, and it tested as being below the threshold of hearing any noise. This little monitor switch is a fantastic idea.