Topic: BabyFace Pro - Wheel doesn't move the TotalMix FX sliders

Hi,
Yes I know that this question has been raised several times here, and although I read all the previous threads, and update every thing ( drivers, firmware...) still the same problem.
My setup:
iMac 2012
Sierra 10.12.6
TotalMix Version 1.75

I can see the sliders move in the Audio Midi setup if I move the wheel, but not in the TotalMix.
I looked out for the files that you mention in the HAL and didn't find any of them.

Any more ideas?

2 (edited by overg123 2021-12-27 08:23:40)

Re: BabyFace Pro - Wheel doesn't move the TotalMix FX sliders

Another thing, when I move the wheel I can see the gain circle in the configuration options near the sliders move left to right.
So I wonder what the main slider represent if not the input level???

3 (edited by overg123 2021-12-27 08:58:20)

Reading my question I now see that it might be unclear.
I attached an image.
I am referring only to the "in channel" , the "main" slider it has on it, and the gain circle:
https://ibb.co/XZnmB5c
Not the Main slider for the output.
(The wheel only controls the gain circle and not the slider)
Btw, while we are at it, why when I turn on the -10dbv button, my bass (connected to this line in) sounds better?

4 (edited by waedi 2021-12-27 09:01:47)

overg123 wrote:

Another thing, when I move the wheel I can see the gain circle in the configuration options near the sliders move left to right.
So I wonder what the main slider represent if not the input level???

The slider of the input channel does forwarding (routing) an amount of the incoming signal to an output (the highlighted one).
It is more the output level of the input channel and not the input level.
The input level is the Gain knob.

M1-Sonoma, Madiface Pro, Digiface USB, Babyface silver and blue

> The wheel only controls the gain circle and not the slider

Exactly as it should be. You control the gain, not the monitoring/routing volume. If you want to do that use the Mix button on the unit. The manual describes how to use it.

Regards
Matthias Carstens
RME

MC wrote:

> The wheel only controls the gain circle and not the slider

Exactly as it should be. You control the gain, not the monitoring/routing volume. If you want to do that use the Mix button on the unit. The manual describes how to use it.

While writing the questions I figured that this is the case.
However giving that it is all the way down, why I can still hear my bass? I would assume that when it is on the bottom I shouldn’t hear anything.

Also regarding the -10dbv button question, Why my bass sounds better when pressing on it?

7 (edited by ramses 2021-12-27 12:00:52)

> However giving that it is all the way down, why I can still hear my bass?
> I would assume that when it is on the bottom I shouldn’t hear anything.

I think this refers to submix mode and routing.

Every HW output in the bottom row has an individual submix of its own.
Once you select one of the HW outputs in the bottom, then the fader position of
- HW inputs (top row)
- SW playbacks (middle row)
show you, what audio channels will be send to this particular hw output (aka submix, hence the name submix mode).

You should read about this in the manual and RME video tutorials and I also offer a blog artice about a good 1st time setup for RME recording interfaces...

For you and others I put some information together here:
https://forum.rme-audio.de/viewtopic.ph … 97#p180197

> Also regarding the -10dbv button question, Why my bass sounds better when pressing on it?

Your recording interfaces inputs and outputs work with different reference levels to optimize the operation of the AD/DA converters in terms of signal level.

On HW outputs different / lower reference level allow you to reduce the volume of an output signal without loosing SNR/dynamic. Reasons can be simply volume or if the connected device doesn't allow for high(er) signal / studio levels (-> overload, distortion, ...).

On HW inputs (your case) you have different reference levels to prevent overloading the input and to find the optimum reference level depending on the strenth of the input signal so that the converter can work at its sweet spot.
The lower the chosen reference level for your input is, the louder the signal, the higher the chosen reference level is, the more headroom you have for higher levels or peaks and the signal will become more silent.

In your case -10dBv is so called "consumer level", the typical (lower) level that consumer devices deliver.
And it might lead you to the sweet spot of sound, that the input signal is high, but not too high.

If you do not change the signal level on the connected device and you simply switch between consumer and professional reference level, then consumer level will be louder and by this (how our ears and brain works) automatically sound better (this refers to psychoacoustic and therefore the loudness war in the music industry, the louder the better, but sadly not the best quality).

BR Ramses - UFX III, 12Mic, XTC, ADI-2 Pro FS R BE, RayDAT, X10SRi-F, E5-1680v4, Win10Pro22H2, Cub13