> sufficient for my purposes?
Thats insufficient information because it depends on what you have and what you exactly need.
Nobody has a crystal ball for this so you need to describe your demand more in detail.
For what purpose do you need such a device, what are your use cases ?
What computer do you have, is USB or THunderbolt a requirement or do you need a PCIe based card ?
What other equipment do you have that needs to be connected through ADAT, SPDIF, AES, MADI ?
What type of I/O channels do you need in terms of
- analog I/O: line, instrument, mic inputs
- digital I/O: ADAT, SPDIF, AES, MADI, .. ?
The question is whether you need a recording interface with different I/O ports, mic inputs and with a nice and powerful digital mixer like TotalMix FX.
Or whether you need more simply an USB DAC / converter without TM FX, but very nice advanced features for monitoring through speakers/phones.
Ideal is a combination of both, but this has it's price, so what is your budget for this ?
My blog can deliver to you an overview about:
1. Information about RME USB/Firewire interface with a nice comparison excel
https://www.tonstudio-forum.de/blog/ind … B-MADIfac/
Direct link to Excel: https://www.tonstudio-forum.de/index.ph … -04b-xlsx/
2. Information about the different USB DACs / converter ADI-2 DAC / Pro FS R BE
https://www.tonstudio-forum.de/blog/ind … ses-EN-DE/
The next two overlap a little bit and have different add on information:
3. Information how to integrate an ADI-2 DAC/Pro into your existing RME environment
https://www.tonstudio-forum.de/blog/ind … our-Setup/
4. Information how to get TotalMix, if you want to use the ADI-2 DAC/Pro
https://www.tonstudio-forum.de/blog/ind … ort-DE-EN/
5. A descrition of the "evolution" of my recording environment with an overview how I combine Recording/Studio with my HiFi corner with a High End HiFi
https://www.tonstudio-forum.de/blog/ind … -DURec-DE/
The least cost intensive solutions from RME are currently:
a) USB interface: Digiface USB with 4x Digital I/O and 1 phones output (ok but the weakest of all in terms of power)
b) USB interface: Babyface Pro FS a little of everything with the currently fastest converters
c) PCIe interfaces like: HDSPe AIO Pro with different types of I/O and RayDAT (fully digital) which needs additional devices like preamps, adda converters or e.g. the ADI-2 DAC/Pro to be able to get analog devices connected.
All depends heavily what computer you have, what I/O ports you need and what flexibility / scaleability you need.
BR Ramses - UFX III, 12Mic, XTC, ADI-2 Pro FS R BE, RayDAT, X10SRi-F, E5-1680v4, Win10Pro22H2, Cub13