Topic: DIGICHECK Totalyser gets no signal

Hi, everyone,
I've been trying sporadically for months to get the totalyser running on me. No matter what I do, it just doesn't work.

With the input device setup I only have the ASIO Hammerfall DSP in it and no other. The two device channels are set to HDSP MADI and input. The sample rate is 48khz and the tick is set for ASIO inputs.

I don't have any RME hardware. Do you need hardware for this? I'm just trying to analyze my music from FLStudio.

I installed the ASIO4all driver. With other programs this also works with the signal, so what FLStudio puts out, gets there. However, I find the other programs not as good as the Totalyser.

I am a layperson, if I have forgotten something, please let me know. I hope I was able to describe my problem reasonably well ...

I just don't know what else to do ..

Kind regards,
5k1nny

2 (edited by Johannes AU 2022-01-08 18:03:21)

Re: DIGICHECK Totalyser gets no signal

5k1nny wrote:

Hi, everyone,
I've been trying sporadically for months to get the totalyser running on me. No matter what I do, it just doesn't work.

With the input device setup I only have the ASIO Hammerfall DSP in it and no other. The two device channels are set to HDSP MADI and input. The sample rate is 48khz and the tick is set for ASIO inputs.

I don't have any RME hardware. Do you need hardware for this? I'm just trying to analyze my music from FLStudio.

I installed the ASIO4all driver. With other programs this also works with the signal, so what FLStudio puts out, gets there. However, I find the other programs not as good as the Totalyser.

I am a layperson, if I have forgotten something, please let me know. I hope I was able to describe my problem reasonably well ...

I just don't know what else to do ..

Kind regards,
5k1nny

May be you need RME hardware. Before my RME dac arrives, I run Digicheck and found out it need the hardware, I do not know if it can work on other inputs or not ...

Edit, I run on MacOS.

Pacifist, dumb, not stupid
Listen music out from a box which sounds
Reading words on paper/ screen

3 (edited by waedi 2022-01-08 17:59:06)

Digicheck is the only RME software that you can use without hardware.
But only on windows computer, no macs, and you must use an ASIO driver.
The problem is, Digicheck uses audio input channels.
And your software plays sound that goes only to output channels.
you need an aditional software that gives you a Loopback function for routing the output channel into an input channel.

M1-Sonoma, Madiface Pro, Digiface USB, Babyface silver and blue

waedi wrote:

you need an aditional software that gives you a Loopback function for routing the output channel into an input channel.

Ar ... I run it on MacOS .... thank you waedi for this information, may be I should try on Windows, does it work on Microsoft Surface?

Pacifist, dumb, not stupid
Listen music out from a box which sounds
Reading words on paper/ screen

Johannes AU wrote:

Ar ... I run it on MacOS .... thank you waedi for this information, may be I should try on Windows, does it work on Microsoft Surface?

I never tried, not having any Microsoft stuff on the computer.

M1-Sonoma, Madiface Pro, Digiface USB, Babyface silver and blue

waedi wrote:

Thanks, I am already sending my output to 48khz via ASIO4ALL. Unfortunately, nothing happens there. Furthermore, I am wondering why I cannot select any drivers in the Totalyser, except for the preset "Hammerfall DSP" if at least one of my correct drivers would appear there sad I have no idea how this works and why there is only one in there ..

waedi wrote:

That's completely wrong. DIGICheck runs only with RME hardware, no matter what.

Regards
Matthias Carstens
RME

8 (edited by ramses 2022-01-09 11:57:06)

5k1nny wrote:

Thanks, I am already sending my output to 48khz via ASIO4ALL.

Side note: I wouldn't use ASIO4ALL, this is a not supported setup and has disadvantages in terms of latency.

With an RME recording device you get an ASIO driver and the purpose of it is, stability and to bypass the Windows soundsystem and access your device with least latency possible and to have a supported setup.

ASIO4ALL is 3rd party software. An additional layer on top of all audio drivers with the aim of solving problems due to bad purchases / deficits in the design phase of your setup with the aim of putting devices with different/own audio drivers together so that you can use them all in applications (DAW, ..) which can only load one audio driver at a time.

Best example: use of USB mic which can not be connected to a recording interface.

But this is definitely not in the sense of an optimal and supported setup.

The only valid solution is to deploy a proper setup based on best practise and which is supportable by RME.

BR Ramses - UFX III, 12Mic, XTC, ADI-2 Pro FS R BE, RayDAT, X10SRi-F, E5-1680v4, Win10Pro22H2, Cub13

MC wrote:
waedi wrote:

That's completely wrong. DIGICheck runs only with RME hardware, no matter what.

Thanks for the hint. Then it is clear why my project is not working. Can you recommend hardware that is sufficient for my purposes?

So to use music from my production program as input for the Digicheck Totalyser?

10 (edited by ramses 2022-01-09 16:48:36)

> sufficient for my purposes?

Thats insufficient information because it depends on what you have and what you exactly need.
Nobody has a crystal ball for this so you need to describe your demand more in detail.

For what purpose do you need such a device, what are your use cases ?
What computer do you have, is USB or THunderbolt a requirement or do you need a PCIe based card ?
What other equipment do you have that needs to be connected through ADAT, SPDIF, AES, MADI ?
What type of I/O channels do you need in terms of
- analog I/O: line, instrument, mic inputs
- digital I/O: ADAT, SPDIF, AES, MADI, .. ?

The question is whether you need a recording interface with different I/O ports, mic inputs and with a nice and powerful digital mixer like TotalMix FX.
Or whether you need more simply an USB DAC / converter without TM FX, but very nice advanced features for monitoring through speakers/phones.

Ideal is a combination of both, but this has it's price, so what is your budget for this ?

My blog can deliver to you an overview about:

1. Information about RME USB/Firewire interface with a nice comparison excel
    https://www.tonstudio-forum.de/blog/ind … B-MADIfac/
    Direct link to Excel: https://www.tonstudio-forum.de/index.ph … -04b-xlsx/

2. Information about the different USB DACs / converter ADI-2 DAC / Pro FS R BE
    https://www.tonstudio-forum.de/blog/ind … ses-EN-DE/

The next two overlap a little bit and have different add on information:

3. Information how to integrate an ADI-2 DAC/Pro into your existing RME environment
    https://www.tonstudio-forum.de/blog/ind … our-Setup/
4. Information how to get TotalMix, if you want to use the ADI-2 DAC/Pro
    https://www.tonstudio-forum.de/blog/ind … ort-DE-EN/

5. A descrition of the "evolution" of my recording environment with an overview how I combine Recording/Studio with my HiFi corner with a High End HiFi
https://www.tonstudio-forum.de/blog/ind … -DURec-DE/

The least cost intensive solutions from RME are currently:

a) USB interface: Digiface USB with 4x Digital I/O and 1 phones output (ok but the weakest of all in terms of power)
    https://www.rme-audio.de/digiface-usb.html

b) USB interface: Babyface Pro FS a little of everything with the currently fastest converters
    https://www.rme-audio.de/babyface-pro-fs.html

c) PCIe interfaces like: HDSPe AIO Pro with different types of I/O and RayDAT (fully digital) which needs additional devices like preamps, adda converters or e.g. the ADI-2 DAC/Pro to be able to get analog devices connected.
https://www.rme-audio.de/hdspe-aio-pro.html
https://www.rme-audio.de/hdspe-raydat.html

All depends heavily what computer you have, what I/O ports you need and what flexibility / scaleability you need.

BR Ramses - UFX III, 12Mic, XTC, ADI-2 Pro FS R BE, RayDAT, X10SRi-F, E5-1680v4, Win10Pro22H2, Cub13

ramses wrote:

All depends heavily what computer you have, what I/O ports you need and what flexibility / scaleability you need.

thanks for the extensive answer! I have no big plans. i only produce music through a DAW program. I don't find any of the plugins for the frequency analysis that great, but the best I find for analyzing frequencies is the DIGICHECK Totalyser. I don't need more. Since the Digicheck doesn't seem to run without hardware, I need something so that I can get my music from the DAW into the Totalyser. I have windows 10.

You still didn't tell your budget and what you want to connect for monitoring (whether/which phones, whether/which active monitors).

I just want to link the output from my DAW Software (FLStudio) with the input of the Digicheck Totalyser. Not more. But no matter what I do, there is no signal. And here it was written that you absolutely need RME hardware. I'm completely haphazard about what I need for it. budget doesn't matter, it should just work.

14 (edited by ramses 2022-01-09 20:24:26)

1. DIGIcheck can only be used with a RME recording interface.
2. A DAW can only load one audio driver, in this case it has to be the ASIO driver of the RME recording interface.

Therefore you also need analog outputs on your new recording interface to be able
- to perform your monitoring
- to hear the music
How can you mix and master if you can't hear any tone ?!

3. people's requirements are different, some need only monitors or phones, some need phones and 2 pair of monitors to A/B between different types of monitors or to exclude bad room acoustic through phones. Or to simply simply listen to music through phones.

So you need a recording interface with
- one phones output and
- 2-4 analog outputs to be able to connect one or two pairs of speakers.

Additionally it's important to know, whether this should or has to be an USB or PCIe based interface.

To be honest, I don't understand a word and I wouldn't have thought how complex it is. maybe we talk past each other because I am not that specialized. to put it another way, the dc totalyser needs an input signal from a driver. is there a list of supported drivers? I generally don't get a signal in the program. from nowhere. what would be the easiest way to use the program? you don't need high-end hardware for that?

16 (edited by ramses 2022-01-09 22:03:21)

1. You got already in post #7 the information, that DIGIcheck only runs with RME hardware.
2. In post #8 you were advised not to use ASIO4ALL, as it is neither recommended nor a supported solution.
3. An application and also DAW can only load one audio driver at a time.
    This needs to be the ASIO driver of the new RME hardware (which is needed for DIGIcheck).
    Thus you need to perform monitoring through this interface
    and for this reason you need analog ports to be able to connect monitors and phones (to hear any sound).

The rest in this thread is about finding out what RME recording interface you need based on
- your PC or personal preferenced for either a USB or PCIe based solution
- how many analog outputs you need for your monitoring, see previous posting
- and maybe other requirements

Sorry, I am running out of time, others will need to continue here. Good luck with your hw selection.
One thing for sure, with RME you will get an excellent solution.

BTW .. as you seem to be worried in terms of how complicated all is.
The things which I told you are not RME specific, this is the case for all recording solutions not matter from which vendor.

In this case you need RME, because you want RME DIGIcheck and this works only with RME recording interfaces.

FYI ..the point against ASIO4ALL is not specific to RME, it's also valid for all other vendor's recording solutions. All professional recording interfaces with Windows Support have an ASIO driver and this needs to be used for the mentioned reasons. ASIO4ALL is mainly there to mitigate issues because of wrong purchases / bad planning.

ramses wrote:

1. You got already in post #7 the information, that DIGIcheck only runs with RME hardware.
2. In post #8 you were advised not to use ASIO4ALL, as it is neither recommended nor a supported solution.
3. An application and also DAW can only load one audio driver at a time.
    This needs to be the ASIO driver of the new RME hardware (which is needed for DIGIcheck).
    Thus you need to perform monitoring through this interface
    and for this reason you need analog ports to be able to connect monitors and phones (to hear any sound).

The rest in this thread is about finding out what RME recording interface you need based on
- your PC or personal preferenced for either a USB or PCIe based solution
- how many analog outputs you need for your monitoring, see previous posting
- and maybe other requirements

Sorry, I am running out of time, others will need to continue here. Good luck with your hw selection.
One thing for sure, with RME you will get an excellent solution.

BTW .. as you seem to be worried in terms of how complicated all is.
The things which I told you are not RME specific, this is the case for all recording solutions not matter from which vendor.

In this case you need RME, because you want RME DIGIcheck and this works only with RME recording interfaces.

FYI ..the point against ASIO4ALL is not specific to RME, it's also valid for all other vendor's recording solutions. All professional recording interfaces with Windows Support have an ASIO driver and this needs to be used for the mentioned reasons. ASIO4ALL is mainly there to mitigate issues because of wrong purchases / bad planning.

Ok as far as everything is understood.

Thank you for your effort and your time. Could well imagine that I made her eyelid twitch.

So, thank you very much for the patience and the calm professional manner that you show.

I'll make myself smart about the hardware.

Hi 5k1nny,

If you only need to hear the signal and run Digicheck, please take a look at the RME Babyface Pro FS and the RME ADI-2 DAC FS. The Babyface model will allow for recording inputs as well as monitoring the outputs, and the DAC model is for outputs only.

Regards,
Jeff Petersen
Synthax Inc.