951 (edited by kaserati 2021-12-25 00:48:25)

Re: The official Babyface Pro Thread

waedi wrote:
kaserati wrote:

Same here , yes, the Babyface Pro FS is discontinued. Looks like Universal Audio , Antelope and now Apogee are selling more with dsp and plugins and RME is working in a new model with DSP.

I think this is utter nonsense !

There are other 5 models probably going out of production, XT, XTC, UC, UCX, 802, but not the Babyface (looking at Thomann).

I don't know about other models but bayface Pro FS is discontinued, a new model with dsp is going to be the next  (confirmed by a dealer)  cool

Thomann  : " Delivery date unknown "

952 (edited by waedi 2021-12-25 02:30:57)

This is pure speculation !
Dealers don't tell you bad stories to lose you. They can tell whatever they like.
Also products in the Thomann catalog that are listed as "sold-out" doesn't tell about the production status.
If a device is not availabe at one store, look out at other places.

M1-Sonoma, Madiface Pro, Digiface USB, Babyface silver and blue

waedi wrote:

Dealers don't tell you bad stories to lose you. They can tell whatever they like.
Also products in the Thomann catalog that are listed as "sold-out" doesn't tell about the production status.

Is not speculation, is true. Babyface is not available in any store.I told you information 100% true.
Babyface is not going to be in production anymore.

954 (edited by ramses 2021-12-25 13:51:43)

kaserati wrote:
waedi wrote:

Is not speculation, is true. Babyface is not available in any store.I told you information 100% true.

The known Corona, supply chain problems, etc.

https://www.musicstore.de/de_DE/EUR/RME … 016147-000
"Ordered, estimated to be in stock: Feb 2, 2022"

BBF Pro FS just had been upgraded 1y ago. It's one of the most successful interfaces because of quality, form factor, mobility.

There is no reason why RME should not produce it anymore without any successor at the horizon. As I said, it had already been upgraded and among many other things got even the currently fastest converters.

BR Ramses - UFX III, 12Mic, XTC, ADI-2 Pro FS R BE, RayDAT, X10SRi-F, E5-1680v4, Win10Pro22H2, Cub13

kaserati wrote:
waedi wrote:

And your proof is what?

Babyface Pro Fs, Behringer ADA8200, win 10/11 PCs, Cubase/Wavelab, Adam A7X monitors.

956 (edited by kaserati 2021-12-25 16:43:02)

ramses wrote:
kaserati wrote:
waedi wrote:

The known Corona, supply chain problems, etc.

https://www.musicstore.de/de_DE/EUR/RME … 016147-000
"Ordered, estimated to be in stock: Feb 2, 2022"

BBF Pro FS just had been upgraded 1y ago. It's one of the most successful interfaces because of quality, form factor, mobility.

There is no reason why RME should not produce it anymore without any successor at the horizon. As I said, it had already been upgraded and among many other things got even the currently fastest converters.

First BBF Pro FS has been upgraded TWO years ago and come on , the upgrade it was minimal, almost the same model. When it was released the babyface pro? SEVEN years ago?

The successor is going to be a model with DSP in 2022 for that reason you can't  find one,  this is not something new, some dealers know about that.

957 (edited by ramses 2021-12-25 17:29:32)

kaserati wrote:

First BBF Pro FS has been upgraded TWO years ago and come on , the upgrade it was minimal, almost the same model. When it was released the babyface pro? SEVEN years ago?

The Babyface Pro was already quite a facelift compared to the Babyface, and with the Babyface Pro FS RME has gone one better.

And you think that wasn't much? Really ??? I think RME has improved a lot. May I remind you of the following changes, which you can also read off the product page at any time:
- 2nd reflevel +4 dBu to reduce the output level without too much loss of SNR/dynamics with switch on the bottom side
- SteadyClock FS
- Increase output power, improve THD of both headphone outputs
- Reduction of output impedance from 3.5mm KH output
- Improved SNR of microphone and TRS line inputs
- Improvement of THD of line inputs
- Fastest converters, even faster than those of the flagship interfaces with 6 samples less latency on AD (5/7 samples AD/DA at single speed)
- K-Slot for theft protection.

All the above improvements have been achieved without increasing the power consumption of the interface !!!
So and you think that was nothing ?

You should also bear in mind that the Babyface Pro FS can still be bus-powered on USB2. Therefore, it is not possible to make major changes to the design at will.

kaserati wrote:

The successor is going to be a model with DSP in 2022 for that reason you can't  find one,  this is not something new, some dealers know about that.

Well there I have some doubts as a full implementation of DSP chip would require more power from USB2.
At the moment it's still the case that EQ is being done in the device and Reverbs/Dynamics through the driver (using the PCs CPU).

We'll see ;-)

BR Ramses - UFX III, 12Mic, XTC, ADI-2 Pro FS R BE, RayDAT, X10SRi-F, E5-1680v4, Win10Pro22H2, Cub13

kaserati wrote:

I don't know about other models but bayface Pro FS is discontinued, a new model with dsp is going to be the next  (confirmed by a dealer)  cool

That is (to quote) utter nonsense. BF Pro FS is still in production. Just that we can't produce them whenever we want - but onyl whenever we get chips.

Regards
Matthias Carstens
RME

kaserati wrote:
waedi wrote:
kaserati wrote:

Same here , yes, the Babyface Pro FS is discontinued. Looks like Universal Audio , Antelope and now Apogee are selling more with dsp and plugins and RME is working in a new model with DSP.

I think this is utter nonsense !

There are other 5 models probably going out of production, XT, XTC, UC, UCX, 802, but not the Babyface (looking at Thomann).

Thomann  : " Delivery date unknown "

You could be starting rumours. That dealer may have just been speculating without any inside information. There are shortages with lots of music gear not just RME as result of a global chip shortage. Also AFAIK the BFP already has on board DSP, it is used for the EQs. It is not as powerful as the DSP on the UFX.

im looking at getting a babayface pro fs to to go  with a Macbook pro M1 ia anyone using this setup,also is it  possible to record the 2 XLR and 2 line in channels at  same time ,so all 4 simultaneously to my DAW ,thankyou.

I don’t know about the Mac but you can record all 4 inputs at the same time. They are all independent.

Babyface Pro Fs, Behringer ADA8200, win 10/11 PCs, Cubase/Wavelab, Adam A7X monitors.

962 (edited by waedi 2021-12-30 03:53:07)

paulray328 wrote:

im looking at getting a babayface pro fs to to go  with a Macbook pro M1 ia anyone using this setup,also is it  possible to record the 2 XLR and 2 line in channels at  same time ,so all 4 simultaneously to my DAW ,thankyou.

Using Macbook Air M1 (fanless !) with Madiface Pro (very similar to Babyface Pro),
it works perfectly fine, no issues, and yes you will be able to record all 4 analog inputs and additional 8 adat inputs all at the same time into your DAW, each input channel on a separate track.

How do I make this work with a smart TV? I cannot seem to find any useful information on the internet or in the manual.

1. it is powered via usb from the tv to the unit.
2. I have optical out from the TV into the BF. I get signal, as in, I see the bars on the input side light up when i move selection on my TV, but no signal and no sound is going to 1/2 output (xlr). Is this even possible? The XLR cables that are outputting to my speakers.
3. The Opt dot is solid green, so it's synced by my tv.

It is a sony bravia, google TV, so it's android so it's in stand-alone mode.

What am I missing here?

Manual chapter 34, Monitoring Mix.

Regards
Matthias Carstens
RME

965 (edited by harrysteed 2022-01-19 01:51:29)

Hi everyone,
I'm new to the family. I have a question about the Babyface pro Fs which may seem useless but as I am not indifferent to office aesthetics.

I've had my darling Babyface pro fs for barely a month andand I notice that the ''select'' and ''dim'' buttons are discolored.

Is this normal? If it continues like this, at the end of the year there will not be the slightest trace of the designation of its 2 buttons. I specify that I do not have sweaty hands and I have never used products (gel or solvent).

In terms of sound, it is incredible but at 700€ can this kind of detail be negligible in production Chain?

Please enlighten me guys

harrysteed wrote:

Hi everyone,
I'm new to the family. I have a question about the Babyface pro Fs which may seem useless but as I am not indifferent to office aesthetics.

I've had my darling Babyface pro fs for barely a month andand I notice that the ''select'' and ''dim'' buttons are discolored.

Is this normal? If it continues like this, at the end of the year there will not be the slightest trace of the designation of its 2 buttons. I specify that I do not have sweaty hands and I have never used products (gel or solvent).

In terms of sound, it is incredible but at 700€ can this kind of detail be negligible in production?

Please enlighten me guys

Can you share some pics here?

Fireface UCX II, BabyFace Pro, Fireface UFX, Fireface 400

Manuel wrote:
harrysteed wrote:

Hi everyone,

In terms of sound, it is incredible but at 700€ can this kind of detail be negligible in production?

Please enlighten me guys

Can you share some pics here?

I don't know how to post a photo

harrysteed wrote:

I don't know how to post a photo

Upload here :
https://imgbb.com

and post the link

969 (edited by harrysteed 2022-01-19 01:55:43)

https://ibb.co/hf2hBgX
https://ibb.co/WB5nkF3
https://ibb.co/CMcvGnd

You can see the difference with the buttons above. (My Pixel smartphone tends to overdo the photo processing) It is visually more obvious with the naked eye.

I received this sound card on December 20, 2021
Model : Babyface pro fs

harrysteed wrote:

https://ibb.co/hf2hBgX
https://ibb.co/WB5nkF3
https://ibb.co/CMcvGnd

You can see the difference with the buttons above. (My Pixel smartphone tends to overdo the photo processing) It is visually more obvious with the naked eye.

I received this sound card on December 20, 2021
Model : Babyface pro fs

That should be covered by warranty. If someone from RME replies here (or maybe you can email support directly) just to confirm, it shouldn't be a problem. I couldn't find any reports of worn button labels so it may well be an isolated case.

Fireface UCX II, BabyFace Pro, Fireface UFX, Fireface 400

971 (edited by harrysteed 2022-01-19 14:03:36)

yes, for the moment no one from the team has yet contacted me on the forum. A I'm waiting and i contact them by assistance! I also think it is a small batch of buttons with this defect on which I came across.

I'm not going to make it a state affair (amazing sound card) but if it can be replaced or updated I can send it back and wait

These buttons are easy to replace. But getting a different Babyface Pro is nearly impossible as we don't have any... at this time...

If you need help don't wait in this forum, write to RME support directly.

Regards
Matthias Carstens
RME

MC wrote:

These buttons are easy to replace. But getting a different Babyface Pro is nearly impossible as we don't have any... at this time...

If you need help don't wait in this forum, write to RME support directly.

Hi Mc,
I got in touch with your service.
We will see what he offers me with the current stock situation that you highlight.

Peace

Hey Guys,

I have a problem with my babyfacer soundcard. It is installed. I can hear my cubase sounds on the speaker and the headphones. But the microphone is not woroking. I use cubase 10. A Rhode NT1000.

My windows gives me the german error text: Setup wurde aufgrund einer getakteten Verbindung nicht abgeschlossen (Setup was not finished because of a "getakteten" connection.

Can you help me?

I am trying to fix it since 3 hours. Nothing works.

Thanks in advance for help.

For this microphone you have to switch on the phantompower, did you ?
In Totalmix, top row input channel 1/2, there is this button with the symbol of a wrench tool, click it.
Now the channel is open and you can see some more buttons, one is 48V, click it on channel 1 (the mic should be plugged into input 1)
Now the mic should work. Give also a little gain, not much.
As a mac user I have no idea what that error message means. You can hear your cubase music thru the interface, great.
There is nothing more to setup. It seems to work fine. Ignore the error.

976 (edited by Peter Roos 2022-01-29 06:29:44)

The problem with the Babyface Pro FS is that it is difficult to find one in Europe. I was in Munich for the past 2 months and tried to buy one but the delivery dates were all up in the air with the major retailers (Thomann and other stores). I ended up buying a Focusrite Scarlett Solo, which shipped overnight from Amazon Deutschland. It's actually a nice and very capable little unit which does what I need it to do, which is running multiple programs simultaneously (Reaper, Dorico, Sibelius, Pro Tools, etc.), with one headphone plugged in, and low latency. While the specs are probably not up there with the Babyface it's also a lot cheaper.

But I would have preferred the Babyface. I love the beautiful sleek design, and the totalmix FX software is brilliant once you understand it. The support here is really great.

Maybe it is connected to the local chip shortage? That is a global worldwide problem now affecting not just professional audio equipment manufacturers.

(And then I broke my arm in an accident and had to fly back to the US for emergency shoulder surgery but that's another story - I see that the Babyface is still available here with ia Sweetwater)

ll Gruesse aus Oakland
Peter

www.summeroflovemusic.com
https://www.imdb.com/name/nm2039241

Hallo,
ich glaube, die Datei fut_usb_mac.zip für das Babyface Pro FS ist noch alt.

Grüße
Andreas

Danke für den Hinweis - ist jetzt korrekt.

Regards
Matthias Carstens
RME

I just noticed a Firmware update 199, 2022-01-28 and Driver update 1.219, 2021-12-14 for the Baby Face Pro FS.

I am using Driver 1.212 and Hardware revision 130 on my 1 year old BFP FS and everything is working great. I did read the notes but thought i would ask anyway. Should i update both drivers and firmware. Do i need this update or should i just stay as i am now. I noticed ESS is mentioned i gather thats for the ESS Sabre version.

I thought it best to ask if it adds any improvements to my existing setup.

Cheers all.

Both firmware and driver update include a readme where you can easily find out what has changed compared to your driver/firmware version.

Regards
Matthias Carstens
RME

981 (edited by Topanga_Dreams 2022-02-08 03:13:04)

Hi, I just came across an excellent review of the Babyface Pro FS with the current ESS chip.

https://youtu.be/3i5iS1ULI6Y

The measure of the dynamic range D/A (main output) was stated: 125 dB(A)…supposedly it was remeasured twice.

Is there such a big jump regarding the dynamic range of the D/A output just by using a different chip? To be honest, I doubt it. And I wonder if the ESS chip is capable of such a high dynamic range? And if so, I assume that there have to be additional changes in the internal architecture of the interface. Referring to the change from AKM to ESS at the current ADI 2 PRO, there was not much change.

Don’t get me wrong, the Babyface Pro FS is an excellent sounding interface with the AKM chip, but I was wondering if there is a big jump in the dynamic range with the ESS models.

Thanks
Thorsten

Mac Mini M2 Pro 16GB RAM - RME FIREFACE 802 - LOGIC PRO

The used ESS chip offers significantly better THD. Dynamic range/SNR is a bit better than before. The values measured by JK I did not see myself, but came close with up to 123 dBA. The low number of currently produced units makes it impossible to check what the 'typical' value is over a broader range of devices. It can be that not all ES9080Q chips have the same noise figures - which was a guaranteed and fixed value when using AKM.

The ADI-2 DAC uses a different ESS chip where noise performance so far was stable during production runs.

Regards
Matthias Carstens
RME

MC wrote:

The used ESS chip offers significantly better THD. Dynamic range/SNR is a bit better than before. The values measured by JK I did not see myself, but came close with up to 123 dBA. The low number of currently produced units makes it impossible to check what the 'typical' value is over a broader range of devices. It can be that not all ES9080Q chips have the same noise figures - which was a guaranteed and fixed value when using AKM.

The ADI-2 DAC uses a different ESS chip where noise performance so far was stable during production runs.

Thanks for clearing that!
The Babyface Pro FS really plays in its own league!

It was already an amazing product, but now that’s the icing on the cake!

Mac Mini M2 Pro 16GB RAM - RME FIREFACE 802 - LOGIC PRO

984 (edited by Lucian1215 2022-02-11 02:11:57)

Not sure about these being hard to find, Sweetwater has them in stock. Anyway, I have a tech/config question. Is there a best way to connect external rack gear which has XLR connectors to the babyface? Nothing is set in stone, just planning still but wondering if there is a best way to do this. I am guessing some sort of optical to XLR box?

You have two XLR inputs on the bfp fs so you can use these. The optical can be adat or spdif. So you would need either a mic preamp that has spdif out or one of the plenty of adat preamps. RME do there own but may be too expensive compared to the price of the bfp. There is the cheaper end with the Behringer ADA8200. You first need to understand what you want and then research as there are single channel, dual channel, eight channel. The max the bfp can do is 8 channels @ 44.1 or 48khz sampling frequency. 4 channels at 96 and 2 channels at 192

Hi, I'm a Babyface Pro fs user, and I am here to report a potential bug.
Whenever I'm using babyface at 96k on Windows using the PC mode, the audio quality of audio PLAYBACK would degrade after 10 minutes, introducing more and more distortion, until I reset the audio engine from the DAW (REAPER). This happens regardless of whether I'm using REAPER, or whether I'm playing audio or not. If I remember correctly, the input is not affected while playback distortion is happening.

This does not happen when I'm using the babyface in CC mode with raspberry pi. And I have not experienced it yet at 44.1k.

Check for usb errors in the RME system tray.
If 0 errors,  then report more about your system anyway. Not even sure if PC or Mac.

Vincent, Amsterdam
https://soundcloud.com/thesecretworld
Babyface pro fs, HDSP9652+ADI-8AE, HDSP9632

Must be pc as the post says windows. I take it you are using the asio driver?

mkok wrote:

Must be pc as the post says windows. I take it you are using the asio driver?

Yeah using Windows 10 on a PC. I'm using the latest driver and flash from https://www.rme-audio.de/downloads.html.

I never use 96k so I can’t really help

After ~7 years with my UCX, I recently picked up a Babyface Pro FS as my current setup doesn't really require the additional I/O on the UCX and I wanted the additional onboard control the BBF offers (very useful to have one-touch mic gain to zero via mix A / B buttons and main output mute via DIM button.) Aware I probably could have accomplished this via Arc remote with the UCX but prefer the simplicity of the BBF all in one approach.

Very impressed with the device except for a couple of things:

1. 'DIM' text has almost completely worn off after ~2-3 weeks of light use. My hands are not abnormally sweaty / acidic and the text on the other buttons shows no signs of wear (and I use these as much as the DIM button) so not too sure what has caused this. Not a big deal.

2. Possibly a fault and the main reason I came here to seek advice - when output level (via main out or headphones) exceeds ~25dBFS (metered in TotalMix), the noise floor / hiss seems to jump up dramatically as if the analogue section for these physical outputs has to jump up a gear (as far as I'm aware D>A converters / signal amplifiers do not require gears so forgive the analogy!).

- There is an overly audible ~1sec hiss after playback is paused.
- The hiss length shortens as device sample rate is increased
- Applying any sort of subtractive EQ within TotalMix on main out and/or headphone out has no effect on the level or frequency content of the hiss.

I made a video to demonstrate the issue but feel free to tell me if my performance expectations are just too high!
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9e6zpyHLu78

I have a non-FS Babyface Pro, but I've never experienced such a hiss. If you're already using the latest driver and firmware versions, I'd recommend contacting RME Support with details about your setup (OS, driver version, firmware version): https://rme-audio.de/support.html

I have the bfp fs and am not hearing this.

Looks like normal and expected - this is a feature of the ESS DAC, but it is in no way audible. And it is not treble only, but broadband. See here how it works:

https://youtu.be/3i5iS1ULI6Y?t=528

That said are you on fiirmware 199?

The button issue has been discussed here already, they can be exchanged. Contact your local distributor for help.

Regards
Matthias Carstens
RME

995 (edited by symbiosiseffects 2022-03-12 08:51:58)

MC wrote:

Looks like normal and expected - this is a feature of the ESS DAC, but it is in no way audible. And it is not treble only, but broadband. See here how it works:

https://youtu.be/3i5iS1ULI6Y?t=528

That said are you on firmware 199?

The button issue has been discussed here already, they can be exchanged. Contact your local distributor for help.

Thanks Matthias - yes I have seen that video of Julian's before and figured it might be that, however with my unit the jump is clearly audible (checked with wife to confirm I'm not losing it!), especially if there is less high frequency content in the output signal (i.e recording bass guitar / solo'd kick etc).

FW is 199 as of last night though no difference in this issue since updating. Given the relative level of this noise, is there a chance something isn't quite right with my unit?

I have no clue how much noise you have - your video uses signals at too low levels in and out plus extra amplification. The transition is inaudible unless you are way down below normal recording and playbacl levels. When DRE is off (high level) SNR is still a hefty 110 dB.

Regards
Matthias Carstens
RME

997 (edited by symbiosiseffects 2022-03-12 12:24:42)

MC wrote:

I have no clue how much noise you have - your video uses signals at too low levels in and out plus extra amplification. The transition is inaudible unless you are way down below normal recording and playbacl levels. When DRE is off (high level) SNR is still a hefty 110 dB.

I originally made that video to convey the problem to my local distributor for troubleshooting purposes before coming here, so apologies if the levels are a bit off.

I don't have measurement equipment, but if I peak-normalize the audio file I recorded to create the video, the remaining noise is at ~ -47db (peak metered in Pro Tools). Is that higher than it should be?

Sure you have measurement equipment - your BF! You can see the noise level directly in DigiCheck. And when set to RMS even in the level meters of TotalMix. And don't normalize - it removes any kind of reference.

Regards
Matthias Carstens
RME

MC wrote:

Sure you have measurement equipment - your BF! You can see the noise level directly in DigiCheck. And when set to RMS even in the level meters of TotalMix. And don't normalize - it removes any kind of reference.

I meant that I don't have equipment to measure the hardware outputs of the BF; i.e to determine the noise floor post ADC, other than the BF as you mention, which is what I have used to determine that ~ -47dB noise floor.

I normalized the peak of the audio file playing out of the 6.35mm headphone jack routed back to input 3 via TS cable to record it. The ~1sec noise tail on that file then peaks at ~ -47dB, which seems too high.

All I did was raise the level of the audio file to make 0dB my reference point for the noise.

I will remeasure using DigiCheck - apologies if this is the wrong medium for troubleshooting of this nature and thanks for your help.

The ADC is fully fine to analyze the noise. You have around 116 dB SNR. Anything audible can be measured with it. Noise is measured RMS, not peak. The ESS chip changes its output level by about 10 dB only.

Regards
Matthias Carstens
RME