1 (edited by GMB 2022-01-14 06:45:49)

Topic: Another Fireface ufx+ newbie q re Ch 11&12

I've got 10 of my inputs setup the way I want them but I'm having problems with front input 11&12.   I'm trying to use regular line inputs but don't get a sound.  When I press the Instrument button in Totalmix, there's a slight pop but no sound after.   And the green Signal light doesn't light up. The channel meter # says UFL.

When I use the same instrument ins in 9&10 it works. 

I should add the device is 2nd hand.  So it might has some prior settings from prev owner that are not apparent to me.  I did flash the drivers which were all somewhat out of date.  And I think I did a reset correctly.

Thx!

UFX+, Reaper, Ableton, Mac, Drummer, Modular, Norns/PiSound/Organelle....

Re: Another Fireface ufx+ newbie q re Ch 11&12

You said the meter says UFL - clear case, ADC not working = defective. You MUST see the noise floor no matter what  you set where - if it works as expected.

Regards
Matthias Carstens
RME

I see the meter go up when I click the Instrument button and obviously hear the pop.  But then it settles down and in a few moments gets to UFL.

Is this a fairly common problem?   I bought this used and perhaps the guy abused it and burned something out.  If that's the case I'll have to deal with that.  No idea if its still covered under warranty. 

Also, is there a way to set the whole device back to the factory default settings if flashing the device doesn't do that?   I noticed that after flashing , total mix still kept my changes.  SO perhaps it's total mix that I need to reset?

Thx

4 (edited by GMB 2022-01-15 01:17:43)

OK, one more update.  When I use an XLR connector and a Microphone to CH 11 or 12, both channels work!  Also works with or without phantom power. 

So the only problem is I can't use the 1/4 ins on these two channels.  And if I switch on Inst, there's a loud pop.

Does this provide any clues?

Hopefully someone can help with some ideas as to whether there's a setting or something wrong with my interface

I bought a pair of short 1/4 female to male XLR adapters and the two channels that have been problematic using the 1/4" ins, are working fine as instrument inputs.

I assume the prior owner did something that damaged the 1/4" ins for Ch 11&12.  But so far it seems like I can work around this.  I haven't detected any other issues with the interface so far.   So I'm going to call it a keeper and just work around this.

But if it's something I can or should fix, I'd like to know.

Thanks!!

There is an opamp between TRS input and mic gain stage which might be be broken. I can't explain why UFL is there and goes away using the XLR input, but a repair seems not complicated for any skilled technician.

Regards
Matthias Carstens
RME

Thank you kindly!!