Topic: Question about Fireface UFX working together with Digiface USB

Hi!

I'm using my Fireface UFX and I would like to get more digital IO via ADAT.

I am wondering if I can add a Digiface USB to my setup? So using my Fireface UFX as my main interface and adding a Digiface USB for more ADAT expansion.

Thanks!

Logic Pro X | RME Fireface UFX | ARC USB

Re: Question about Fireface UFX working together with Digiface USB

Yes, you could create an Aggregate device. Make sure everything's in sync, possibly across your external ADAT converters.

Regards
Daniel Fuchs
RME

With an aggregate device on a Mac, is there a way to route the ADAT channels from the Digiface USB directly to the main output of the Fireface UFX?

(Opposed to route the ADAT channels to inputs of my DAW, Logic for example, and the route this within the DAW to the output, which causes additional latency and uses processing power ...)

Thanks!

UFX+ UFX II Octamic XTC BabyFace Pro ARC USB
Apple MacPro 2019
Apple MacBookPro 2018
Logic Pro Tools

4 (edited by vinark 2022-03-08 20:59:11)

basementstudio wrote:

With an aggregate device on a Mac, is there a way to route the ADAT channels from the Digiface USB directly to the main output of the Fireface UFX?

(Opposed to route the ADAT channels to inputs of my DAW, Logic for example, and the route this within the DAW to the output, which causes additional latency and uses processing power ...)

Thanks!

Only if you make a direct connection, so one of the digiface adat outs to the ufx,
I have that with a hdsp9652 and a babyface pro fs. Works perfect. but on PC so no aggregate, just as an extra to the hdsp, which I use for asio driver. The baby as HQ DA.

If only for auditioning you can also use the digi headphones out to the UFX analog in. But remember they have to be synced anyway so you need at least one adat connection from the master to the slave.

Vincent, Amsterdam
https://soundcloud.com/thesecretworld
BFpro fs, 2X HDSP9652 ADI-8AE, 2X HDSP9632

Thank you. That is sort of what I'm doing already. On a laptop with Pro Tools (running picture, production sound and temp tracks for  scoring) going out with a baby face and running in the UFX on my main DAW. I was hoping to free up that one Adat input for other stuff.

Apple MacPro 2019
Apple MacBookPro 2018
Logic Pro Tools

6 (edited by vinark 2022-03-09 12:28:34)

You could use the digiface USB as an adat mixer, you can then combine up to 4 adat streams into one or two. And or duplicate etc. Just with TMFX, the DAws don't have to connect to that digiface.

Vincent, Amsterdam

Cool, this is interesting. So the digiface USB in combination with its TMFX would act like a giant adat patch bay and if I'm thinking this correctly one could even split individual channels out of the group of 8 within one adat stream. Say for example, take channel 1-4 from adat 1 input and route this to adat 2 output 5-8, or any other combination. AS long as all interfaces are synced to the same clock.

Now the question remains, if that sort of thing would add any latency? In other words if I go from the Babyface adat out to a digiface USB adat in and then from there to the UFX adat in as opposed to go directly from the Babyface adat to the UFX adat, would that add some delay/latency?

Great idea. Thanks!

Apple MacPro 2019
Apple MacBookPro 2018
Logic Pro Tools

basementstudio wrote:

Cool, this is interesting. So the digiface USB in combination with its TMFX would act like a giant adat patch bay and if I'm thinking this correctly one could even split individual channels out of the group of 8 within one adat stream. Say for example, take channel 1-4 from adat 1 input and route this to adat 2 output 5-8, or any other combination. AS long as all interfaces are synced to the same clock.

Now the question remains, if that sort of thing would add any latency? In other words if I go from the Babyface adat out to a digiface USB adat in and then from there to the UFX adat in as opposed to go directly from the Babyface adat to the UFX adat, would that add some delay/latency?

Great idea. Thanks!

Yes exactly that!
And
Only a few samples of latency by the TMFX mixer. But this should not be an issue since this is in the order of the difference between converter latency any way. in the order of 0.1 ms

Vincent, Amsterdam