Topic: Turn on my UFX+ first and then the PC or vice versa?

I have another question for my UFX + connected via Thunderbolt. I want to know if there is an order for switching on the devices (in sequence), that is, if I have to switch on the UFX + first and then the PC, or switch on the PC first and then the card. Or is all this indifferent? I currently turn on UFX+ after Windows starts, because otherwise the PC does not recognize it right away (I believe it is a PCIe card problem and my current Windows installation) . I ask because I come from a Fireface 800, where I always turn on the card first and then start the PC.

RME UFX+, ASUS X99 Deluxe II, CPU i7 6950X, 128 GB RAM, GC-Titan Ridge 2.0 + Apple TB3-TB2 Adapter

Re: Turn on my UFX+ first and then the PC or vice versa?

Normally should not matter and USB as well as thunderbolt is plug & play.
Which means should work either way ..
- if you turn it on before you start computer
- turn it on on demand when computer is started

BR Ramses - UFX III, 12Mic, XTC, ADI-2 Pro FS R BE, RayDAT, X10SRi-F, E5-1680v4, Win10Pro22H2, Cub13

3 (edited by unodos 2022-04-04 13:50:10)

Miele wrote:

I have another question for my UFX + connected via Thunderbolt. I want to know if there is an order for switching on the devices (in sequence), that is, if I have to switch on the UFX + first and then the PC, or switch on the PC first and then the card. Or is all this indifferent? I currently turn on UFX+ after Windows starts, because otherwise the PC does not recognize it right away (I believe it is a PCIe card problem and my current Windows installation) . I ask because I come from a Fireface 800, where I always turn on the card first and then start the PC.

This is interesting. I've had intermittent issues with Windows recognising my UFX+ if I turn it on before booting into Windows. I'm running over USB3 and have the new ESS chip.

Yesterday, the UFX+ reported a 32k sample rate with a blue light (indicating a USB3 connection) but I couldn't open TotalMix/settings until I restarted the UFX. I always run 44.1k

Do you have AKM or the new ESS version? I'm wondering if there's a bit of occasional driver instability.

unodos wrote:

This is interesting. I've had intermittent issues with Windows recognising my UFX+ if I turn it on before booting into Windows. I'm running over USB3 and have the new ESS chip.

Yesterday, the UFX+ reported a 32k sample rate with a blue light (indicating a USB3 connection) but I couldn't open TotalMix/settings until I restarted the UFX. I always run 44.1k

Hi Unodos, my UFX+ is now fine connected via Thunderbolt. However with USB3 I never had any problems when I connected it by Sonnet Allegro USB card (Fresco Logic FL1100EX chipset).

Do you have AKM or the new ESS version? I'm wondering if there's a bit of occasional driver instability.

How do I know if there is AKM or ESS inside my UFX+?

RME UFX+, ASUS X99 Deluxe II, CPU i7 6950X, 128 GB RAM, GC-Titan Ridge 2.0 + Apple TB3-TB2 Adapter

5 (edited by unodos 2022-04-06 21:04:32)

Miele wrote:
unodos wrote:

Hi Unodos, my UFX+ is now fine connected via Thunderbolt. However with USB3 I never had any problems when I connected it by Sonnet Allegro USB card (Fresco Logic FL1100EX chipset).

How do I know if there is AKM or ESS inside my UFX+?

Provided you have the latest drivers: if you open the MADIface settings and click on 'About', Hardware Revision will be 163 for ESS

unodos wrote:

Provided you have the latest drivers: if you open the MADIface settings and click on 'About', Hardware Revision will be 163 for ESS

Yes, I see "Revision=163"
I hope it is a good thing :)