Topic: TotalMix question/concern for new buyer

Hello, I am a Newbie ("hobbyist") looking at purchasing a Babyface Pro FS.  I have an up-to-date PC, but need a new interface (currently have an old Focusrite Sapphire Pro).  I mainly record by myself, without tons of effects.  However, I would like to learn more about recording and am willing to learn.  BUT, after watching a couple introductory videos, it seems like TotalMix would be a real "learning curve" for me, and I'm not sure I would use all of the flexibility and positive  features it allows.  It appears that I would need to use TotalMix to do some of the basic aspects of recording (e.g., gain levels of inputs, assignment to outputs) that I now do with just my interface and DAW (Presonus Studio One).  Is this true?  Is it possible to "set up" TotalMix so that I am using the controls on the Babyface and DAW to do most of the basics of recording?  I thought I saw a reference to something like "DAW" mode (?), but cannot find that again.

Sorry for the long (probably naive) naive question.  I could convince myself to spend the $ for RME's quality, reliability, and support that most people acknowledge, but I'd hate to spend that for the many features of TotalMix that professionals would use, but that I may not.  Any advice/perspective would be greatly appreciated!  Thank you!
derekw

Re: TotalMix question/concern for new buyer

hi Derek smile

Yes, you can use BBF Pro FS in DAW mode and control everything via your software, but you would be missing out. TotalMIX FX can seem overwhelming at first glance but the thing is, once you learn how it works on one channel, you'll know enough to use it as simply as you want or with more advanced routing.

Just watch the tutorials on the RME website after you get your BBF (it's much easier to learn when you can actually follow along) and it will make much more sense. Having built in EQ and Reverb that you can use either for listening or recording the effects is a great tool. TotalMIX has also taught me more about mixers in general.

Good luck!

-Steve

3 (edited by ramses 2022-04-11 18:25:35)

Routing exclusively in the DAW has the disadvantage that you have always the latency over the connection to the computer and which can be much larger compared to the pure converter latencies on the device.

In contrast to that the routing through the routing matrix on the recording device, which has only the converter latency, is much much faster.

With RME recording interfaces all HW Outpus of the recording interface can have an individual submix giving you great flexibility. In the so called "submix mode" you only have to select an output and then you can see the routing by looking to the fader positions of HW inputs and SW playbacks (audio from the pc).
Or you move the faders to adjust the routing to your demand.
People only stumble over this one fact, that you have a routing per HW output.
So the fader positions of HW inputs / SW playbacks change with the selection of HW output.
Logic, as you have individual submix per output.

To sum up, you only need to understand a few basic principles of operation, then TM FX is very logic, user friendly and easy to be used. Please find futher information in this sticky posting:
https://forum.rme-audio.de/viewtopic.php?id=34394

My primer for a 1st setup is not accessible at the moment, because the Tonstudio forum has maintenance for getting a new forum software. I guess it needs another day.

BR Ramses - UFX III, 12Mic, XTC, ADI-2 Pro FS R BE, RayDAT, X10SRi-F, E5-1680v4, Win10Pro22H2, Cub13

Thank you Steve and Ramses.  Sounds like it is not as difficult as it appears to a Newbie.  And Ramses, yes, had looked at the links you mentioned before my message and indeed discovered the site was temporarily down.  I'll revisit it again soon.

I have another question about power for the Babyface (simple question), but I'll look for a more appropriate thread to post it.

Thanks again for your help!
derekw

Its your thread here about your new purchase, ask here ...

BR Ramses - UFX III, 12Mic, XTC, ADI-2 Pro FS R BE, RayDAT, X10SRi-F, E5-1680v4, Win10Pro22H2, Cub13

OK here are a couple questions related to power sources for the BBFPFS.  I did read other posts on this topic, but still would appreciate some help on a couple things:

1)  A number of experienced posters have confirmed that USB power alone is sufficient for the BBFPFS (even phantom power), and that many modern pcs deliver up to 900mv vs. 500mv.  I have a new pc and motherboard with a number of usb 3.2 ports (some type A; some type C connectors).  As I understand it, it is the version of cable (and port also?) that determines the power capacity (vs. data transmission rates).  So with the BBFPFS, should I use the cable that I can connect to a USB 3.2 port with type C connector?  Or would the cable with a type A connector give the same power, since it is connecting to a 3.2 port (i.e., would the connector per se make any difference?)?  Would I be getting the higher 900mA with one, other, both?

2) The motherboard manual advises to match the USB types and connectors for the best performance.  For data transmission, since BBFPFS uses USB 2.0, would there be any advantage ("stability"?) to connecting to a 3.2 Gen 1 port vs. a faster 3.2 Gen 2 port, or would both handle the 2.0 format the same?

3)  I saw a couple posts where BF users seemed to be having issues powering headphones of certain ohms.  I didn't see any specific answers to these, but I did see a couple experienced posters confirming that using DC power attachment would not boost the power output of the headphone outs.  Is that true?  And related, if the larger headphone out is 10 ohms, would that power headphones up to 80 ohms (the 8/1 ratio)?

4) Finally, I'm sure the DC power input on the BBFPFS wasn't just put there for "cosmetics"!.  If it is not needed for "normal?) use , what would be the circumstances where someone should use the DC power input?

Thank you all so much!
derekw

7 (edited by sbcrikey 2022-04-12 22:57:51)

I include this excerpt from the manual regarding the external power supply:

In stand-alone mode the Babyface Pro needs to be powered. You have the choice to use USB
bus power by one of the numerous LiPo batteries with USB ports, sold as mobile power for your
smartphone and iPad, or an external power supply.

In Class Compliant mode connected to an iPad the Babyface Pro needs to be operated with an
external standard power supply, like the ones provided by RME ( 9 to 12 Volts and around 1 A).
For mobile applications please note that LiPo batteries are also available in advanced versions
which offer a 9 to 12 V output.

The Babyface Pro features no automatic power on/off due to its low idle power consumption of
below 3 Watts

There are only a few instances where external power would be required. Beyond those cases, the BBF Pro is perfectly happy with USB power, even with both mic preamps using phantom power. I have tested 48 volts with my Schoeps tester as Schoeps microphones are known to require solid phantom power. Worked like a charm smile

-Steve

Thank you Steve.  As a "hobbyist" at home recording, looking at higher-end equipment can be a bit like drinking out of a "technical  fire hose"!
Appreciate your help!

No problem Derek! Glad I can help. Let us know how things go after you pick up the interface smile

-Steve