1 (edited by Ocean_Ways_2019 2022-04-17 00:58:16)

Topic: RME FIREFACE UFX+ Analog inputs behavior

Hi,

I am new to the RME family and got my first RME UFX+ :-)! Right now I am running the 3.27 driver for Mac M1 Studio Max, it seems to work with Logic. I am just in the beginning of finding my way through TotalMix FX but I am making slow progress.

Playback from the DAW works fine and I wanted to get myself around the mic preamps. I notice a fluctuation in the analog line in/mic levels, even with all faders down and no input. That means, I got movement fluctuation around -100dB on quite a few channels. Is it normal?

In addition to that, I also recognized that I was not able to bring the level of Mics 11-12 down when I turn the knobs on the unit. It doesn’t go further down as 8dB while levels of Mics 9-10 can be turned all the way down.

Is that normal? Or maybe I am a bit stupid ;-).

In the TotalMix FX video about routing the Mic inputs are called AN on channels 1-2 and with the Fireface the Mic inputs are channels 9 - 12, after the Line inputs. But I guess that’s the way it is, though I would expect Mic inputs right in the beginning.

I would appreciate it, if someone can help me.

Thanks a lot!

Frank

Mac M1 Studio Max — Logic Pro X — Fireface UFX plus

Re: RME FIREFACE UFX+ Analog inputs behavior

I just want to add that to me it seems that there is continuous voltage current in the background of the analog inputs (it also affects the line inputs on the back), around -100dB, sometimes -98dB, sometimes -104dB, even when there is no input and no cables connected.
That’s seems a little strange to me.

Thanks in advance.

When Inst is activated lowest gain is 8 dB. See manual chapter 39.1.

There is no 'current'. You see the self-noise of the analog inputs. Analog inputs always have noise. If you change the level meters to RMS (right side of TM FX) then you will get numbers closer to the tech specs of the UFX+.

Regards
Matthias Carstens
RME

MC wrote:

When Inst is activated lowest gain is 8 dB. See manual chapter 39.1.

There is no 'current'. You see the self-noise of the analog inputs. Analog inputs always have noise. If you change the level meters to RMS (right side of TM FX) then you will get numbers closer to the tech specs of the UFX+.

Thanks!

I am glad that everything is working as it should, it just is a bit overwhelming when starting with TotalMix FX for the first time. But it has got great potential and tons of horsepower under the hood! Of course, I should have started with the manual ;-)…

The levels of the mic inputs are totally fine, there is no current. Now I got a better understanding of how they work.

Thanks again for answering those „beginners“ questions!

Happy Easter!

Watch the YT videos. Quick and informative introductions to TMfx.

ADI-2 DAC, ADI-2 PRO, DigifaceUSB, UCXII, ARC, HEGEL.h80, KEF.ls50, HD650, ie400pro _,.\''/.,_