Topic: Subwoofer-Subpac & Headphone setup mix (UFX II)

hi guys! first post here smile

I finally got my RME UFX II interface, im so happy with this!!!
Im sure we will work on many, many productions in the coming years tongue
This is my first RME, so im getting to know the TotalMix mix software.

The reason why i bought the interface is because i want to monitor through multiple outputs at the same time, and at the same time have a HP/EQ on the main monitor and headphone signals.
This couldnt be done in Cubase and other multiple out interfaces.

My setup:

UFX II
Windows AMD 5950x PC
Macbook Pro 2020
Subwoofer
Subpac (https://subpac.com/)
2 x Main Speakers
Heaphones
Bunch of synths
Bad Ears
Boatload of coffee

My goal is to have a HP signal on Main Speakers and Headphones, and control the volume with one slider/ARC/midi, while keeping all the low-end balance the same.
I also have to switch between ASIO and Windows all the time to A-B and Youtube/Beatport/Soundcloud etc preview.

How do i do this?

-My DAW signal comes from Cubase, i use the Control Room so i can only switch one monitor output at the time in Cubase.
-So now all my Cubase music goes to Output 1-2 in TotalMix.
-My subpac goes to AN 7/8
-Ive created a WDM driver and choose Analog 3+4 as device and speaker.
-This works, but cant find a way to adjust ALL the volume and keep it in balance, only from the apps i use. (like Cubase, mediaplayer, dj program, windows system sound slider etc etc).

What is the best way to connect all this?
Maybe there is a smart way to keep everything in balance and use one slider in Totalmix?

I cant find this in the manual and the routing videos do not talk about connecting subwoofers, or i cant find it.

Thanks! You guys are amazing smile

2 (edited by ramses 2022-04-29 09:24:52)

Re: Subwoofer-Subpac & Headphone setup mix (UFX II)

Not sure whether I understood your demand to 100% but this here should be the way to go...
Route different applications to different outputs. Audio will appear in TM FX in the middle row sw playbacks as you do already now.
Im submix mode click to a HW Output of your choice and create an individual submix for this output by moving faders of hw inputs (audio from inputs of your recording iterface in near-realtime) and sw playbacks (audio from pc/apps over usb).
When using a sub then you might need a fader group to couple fader positions with your main monitors. Maybe you can assign the sub to phones4 to also bring it into the TM fx control room so that TM fx  control room features like DIM work and then create there a fader group between main out and phones4 (sub).
Switching between monitors a / b I would do in the TM fx control room as you have more flexibility there to monitor also audio outside from Cubase and directly from the inputs without latency over USB/DAW. Eg when recording a Mic signal.

BR Ramses - UFX III, 12Mic, XTC, ADI-2 Pro FS R BE, RayDAT, X10SRi-F, E5-1680v4, Win10Pro22H2, Cub13

3 (edited by wen 2022-04-29 12:36:24)

Thanks for your time to reply, i will try this today!

I didnt know i could couple/link faders, this would be great

4 (edited by ramses 2022-04-29 12:53:03)

To save work you can copy (and even mirror) a submix from main out to another output where the sub is connected to. Then you only need to find the right volume level for the sub and finally create the fader group.
Creating a mirror of Main Out's submix to the output with the sub(s) has the advantage, that you only have to change the submix for "main out" , the subs will always get the same submix by the mirror functionality. Saves 50% of work on further tweaking of the submix.

BR Ramses - UFX III, 12Mic, XTC, ADI-2 Pro FS R BE, RayDAT, X10SRi-F, E5-1680v4, Win10Pro22H2, Cub13

5 (edited by wen 2022-04-29 15:51:02)

ramses wrote:

To save work you can copy (and even mirror) a submix from main out to another output where the sub is connected to. Then you only need to find the right volume level for the sub and finally create the fader group.
Creating a mirror of Main Out's submix to the output with the sub(s) has the advantage, that you only have to change the submix for "main out" , the subs will always get the same submix by the mirror functionality. Saves 50% of work on further tweaking of the submix.

Thanks man i did exactly that, its a good time saver smile

I copied the Main and pasted it to the sub output and headphones.
Then i linked everything together, it works!
When I move the Main or Phones, everything moves with respect to the balance with the sub yeahhhh

you are a rockstar Ramses

LOL  you're welcome.
Maybe you find some other interesting stuff for you here from my blog:
https://www.tonstudio-forum.de/blog/Ent … cbersicht/

For example function keys for opening/closing TM FX and driver settings ...