Topic: Loose/broken ADAT ports in new Digiface USB

Hi all,

I've just bought a new Digiface USB, and have noticed that the ADAT ports are very loose. Does anyone know if this is common, or should I return it as a manufacturing defect? I'm testing a few different ADAT cables with it, and none of them feel like they properly connect on any of the ports. I've tried the same cables on a few other adat devices and they all have a very solid connection. By contrast, on the digiface I can remove them with the tiniest amount of pressure (literally the least pressure/force I can physically apply).

I know there are manufacturing discrepancies between ADAT cables, but can anyone confirm what the ADAT connection is like to the Digiface USB? I would have assumed I had a broken ADAT port, but I'd also find it strange to have an interface where all 8 ports have the same issue.

Any help would be much appreciated!

Best
James

Re: Loose/broken ADAT ports in new Digiface USB

Align with your seller to make a last attempt with TOSLINK cables from Mutec before asking for replacement. They fit very well to all RME and non-RME devices in my setup. Cable lengths up to ~16m possible (~10m acc to standards) @192kHz.

https://www.thomann.de/gb/mutec_optisches_kabel_2m.htm

BR Ramses - UFX III, 12Mic, XTC, ADI-2 Pro FS R BE, RayDAT, X10SRi-F, E5-1680v4, Win10Pro22H2, Cub13

Also,

@jamonic
you can feel a small click when the cable connects firmly in the DF Usb 's Optical port!

RME Gear: Digiface USB, HDSP 9632

4 (edited by hselters 2022-05-04 01:08:14)

Never had any of these issue on the Digiface (opposed to some other adat devices by expert sleepers where I experienced the issue you are describing, though I found some cables which are working okay).
Seems like Adat sockets and cables on the market are too much differing in size. Maybe you got a Digiface with unusual big sockets, so yes, try different cables or swap the interface.

5 (edited by Yearofthegoat 2022-05-06 22:23:08)

I have 4 cables of 3 different brands plugged into mine and one is 'loose' while the others make a click on insertion. Optical ports can go bad though - I have one on an old PC motherboard which is now 'loose' no matter which cable is used. I guess this is to be expected as the socket is only plastic and will wear over time.

If your new Digiface USB (mine is new too) has loose sockets no matter the cable, I suggest taking it up with your supplier.