Topic: New macOS RME USB 4.03 driver – public beta test

HotFix for Big Sur in V 4.03: Driver is now compatible again.

This is the third update on our macOS USB DriverKit driver, see here: https://forum.rme-audio.de/viewtopic.ph … 62#p187362

Version 4.03 has these improvements:

- More interfaces supported

Attention: Fireface UFX / UCX / UC / 802 and Babyface require a firmware update to versions UFX: 361, UCX: 49, UC: 127, 802: 17 (111), Babyface: 226 to enable the use of this DriverKit driver. Link to firmware update tool:

https://www.rme-audio.de/downloads/fut_usb_mac.zip

Update: The FUT can now run on M1 without asking for Rosetta. But as it needs the driver, and the driver is not working as long as the firmware has not been updated, it is necessary to update the firmware of these interfaces using the former kernel extension driver first!

- Various small improvements

- Fixed installer. On new installations the audio plugin was not installed correctly, so the unit was present and detected, but no audio channels appeared in the system

Current driver version: 4.03. Included TotalMix FX: 1.77b1. This is a special DriverKit version that is not compatible to previous drivers.

New in TotalMix FX 1.77b1:

- Support of the additional devices

- Improved search function in the Workspace Quick Select dialog

- MADIface XT: Gain reduction meter did not work in the last channel

- DAW mode Speaker B: On changes the routing was not restored correctly

System requirements: macOS 11 and up, Intel or M processor (Apple Silicon)

Installation: Double-click on driver_mac_usbdk_403.zip to expand the archive file to the driver file Fireface USB DK 403.pkg. Installation works automatically by a double-click on the pkg (package) file. Users that tried version 4.0 will not see the Allow dialog and button anymore. All others should get that dialog, and before reboot should check that in Security & Privacy, tab General, the RME driver is allowed to load. If not unlock the settings and allow it. Then reboot computer.

Notes

A previously installed kernel extension driver, like 3.27, does not need to be uninstalled. It will be overwritten automatically. After that you could set the system security back to normal, unless any other existing kernel extensions still need reduced security.

To go back to 3.27: easiest method is to drag the Fireface USB Settings app found in the folder Applications to the trash can - only use the Finder for this action. With DriverKit this Settings dialog is 'the app', upon removal all driver files belonging to it will also be removed automatically. You will be asked for permission for the removal of the extensions. If done simply reinstall the former 3.27.

As an alternative we also made a version of the 3.27 driver available that should reliably remove the DriverKit extension during its installation, see link below. The one found on our website for download is not guaranteed to always do that.

Downloads:

https://www.rme-audio.de/downloads/driv … dk_403.zip

Former driver 3.27 with updated installer to remove DriverKit 4.0x:

https://www.rme-audio.de/downloads/driv … ac_327.zip

Any feedback is much appreciated.

Regards
Matthias Carstens
RME

Re: New macOS RME USB 4.03 driver – public beta test

thanks for the update. it resolved the problem which I reported with 4.01. Now everything works fine with my babyface pro on my macbook pro m1 (2021).

Hello, i  have the issue with that "allow" button which doesn't appear anymore after installing the 3.27 driver for my Fireface uc on mac monterey 12.3.1.
could this uptdate solve this issue ?

4 (edited by magebarf 2022-05-12 23:16:43)

Trying to set up a Babyface on a new M1 Mac mini, so no prior driver installed.
Monterey 12.3.1 installed for the time being.

First stop is trying to update the firmware. FUT UI shows up, Babyface is listed with serial. USB firmware identified, current revision (225) properly listed and the new revision (226) being available.

Pushing update only makes the GUI blink, more specifically the interface drop down menu, the quit button and the update button blinks, and then no further action is taken. Status stays unmodified at "Not updated" and no indication on the progress bar at all.

Any combination of checking "Flash all" and having the USB row in the list selected or not does not alter the behaviour at all.

One thing I thought could get me further was toggling Rosetta mode, but I realised that's not an available option for "RME USB Series Flash Tool.app" (is it because it's not an universal app?).

Do I need to have the driver installed before being able to update the firmware?
Or do I need to do the FW upgrade on my old x86 Mac mini?

Edit: Scratch the question on the driver being needed before being able to update firmware:
Driver installation went good without the firmware update, allow button showed up and prompted nicely.
After restart, I tried again to do the firmware update, and still same behaviour.

The Fireface USB Settings shows up and identifies the Babyface properly, but TotalMix does not seem to like the Babyface and show any UI other than the preferences and select device dialog, which is empty. Of course, TotalMix is this way due to the Babyface still being on the wrong FW version.

The current FUT tool does not need Rosetta, but Apple thinks so, so you better flash it on your old Mac. We will have a new FUT soon that works as expected (without Rosetta warning).

Regards
Matthias Carstens
RME

For what it's worth. This is looking good so-far on my UC. ...and since I have a particular interest in aggregate devices, it does look like this new driver now enabled me to aggregate my UC on MacOS 12, with Cubase 12. A good sign! Hopefully HDSPe gets similar treatment, since I want to continue using my 3 linked Multifaces.

So - good step forward for my scenario I think.

Upgraded from 4.01 to 4.02, so far so good. UCX II working as expected.

UCX II, MacBook Pro 14" Max on whatever OS is latest

Bumped the firmware on the old mac, and now things are popping along nicely on the M1.
As soon as I connected the USB cable/babyface Totalmix started as expected, and things were smooth from there.
So, going from scratch with a M1 Mac Mini on Monterey works great on at least one Babyface.

"Your computer was restarted due to a problem".

It seems to point to the RME driver:

"Panicked task 0xfffffe24cd30f3c0: 1029 pages, 3 threads: pid 261: de.rme-audio.dku"

Still have the problem report window open and can fetch info from there, and I guess that should also have generated a dump/trace file on disk (although I'm not sure where they live in Monterey), so let me know if there's anything I shall fetch (or DM me in case you want the dump)!

Please send all info zipped to support. Thanks.

Regards
Matthias Carstens
RME

I updated the first post with this:

Update: The FUT can now run on M1 without asking for Rosetta. But as it needs the driver, and the driver is not working as long as the firmware has not been updated, it is necessary to update the firmware of these interfaces (Fireface UFX / UCX / UC and Babyface) using the former kernel extension driver first!

Regards
Matthias Carstens
RME

Was happy to see support of additional older interfaces.

My system uses Madiface USB and Fireface UFX (via USB) for Adat expansion via ADI-648.

I did the firmware update for UFX to v361
Installed Beta 4.02
Allowed permissions in System Preferences/ Security & Privacy
Restarted.

USB Settings control panel sees both interfaces.
Audio MIDI Setup and System Preferences/ Sound does not see either interface.
Totalmix launches but can't see either interface.

Several restarts and complete cold reboots did not change anything.

My Mac is a 2012 5,1 Mac Pro running Big Sur via Open Core. Could this have something to do with it?

Looks like it's back to 3.27 for me for now.

Just to add it was very easy to rollback to 3.27 using the installer linked in this thread.

I don't know if OpenCore can interfere with DriverKit. Might be. We will not test this kind of configuration, though. Sorry.

Regards
Matthias Carstens
RME

15 (edited by theomh 2022-05-17 07:43:43)

I installed the 4.02 driver kit and it is working on M1Max. But firmware revision number is v200 after flashing.  Does it have to be this way or should it be v226 or so? I use a Babyface Pro.
https://cloud.inner-company.com/s/MQDmr8sSHfTXy9b/preview

16 (edited by El Duderino 2022-05-17 11:43:05)

Hello there!

System: Mac Mini M1 8GB Big Sur 11.6.6

Fireface UCX updated firmware beforehand to the newest version with the old driver.

Installed the new Beta driver 4.02 and rebooted.

Fireface USB Settings is connected to the interface but it is not listed in audio devices nor can I select it in any app. TotalMix does not appear.

Another observation: the sample rate resets after reboot to 32000 Hz.

Any ideas?

Edit: I have to correct myself. Although the Fireface USB Settings window lists the device with serial number it does not show the current clock which means, it is not really connected?!

Edit: On the device itself the Host LED is not active like it is correctly connected to the computer.

Please open Terminal and type these two commands:

systemextensionsctl list

ls /library/audio/plug-ins/hal

The first one should give a reply similar to

*    *    67AK2U2X7M    de.rme-audio.dkusb (1.0.27/1) de.rme-audio.dkusb    [activated enabled]

The second one shows the content of the HAL plug-in folder, which should include 'RMEUsbAsp.driver'.

Regards
Matthias Carstens
RME

theomh wrote:

I installed the 4.02 driver kit and it is working on M1Max. But firmware revision number is v200 after flashing.

Not 'but'. The Babyface Pro (200) is not the Babyface (226).

Regards
Matthias Carstens
RME

MC wrote:

Please open Terminal and type these two commands:

systemextensionsctl list

The first one should give a reply similar to

*    *    67AK2U2X7M    de.rme-audio.dkusb (1.0.27/1) de.rme-audio.dkusb    [activated enabled]

The second one shows the content of the HAL plug-in folder, which should include 'RMEUsbAsp.driver'.

Check. I got exactly the response from terminal like you predicted.

20 (edited by benst 2022-05-18 00:55:47)

Hello,

As I just upgraded MacOS to 11.6.6, I found that my UFX was MIA (as usual in 11.x) after an upgrade. So I thought I'd try this beta. This is on an iMac 27-inch, Late 2014, 4 GHz Quad-Core Intel Core i7, 32 GB 1600 MHz DDR3.

I reinstalled 3.27 (using the driver in the original post) to get the driver working again, then upgraded the firmware in the UFX to 361. Next I installed 4.02, allowed the driver in Prefs, but neither Settings or Totalmix auto-started after reboot. My /var/log/system.log was rapidly filling up with:

May 17 21:51:37 imacret com.apple.xpc.launchd[1] (de.rme-audio.dkusb-0x100001307[1493]): Service exited due to SIGABRT
May 17 21:52:10 imacret com.apple.xpc.launchd[1] (de.rme-audio.dkusb-0x100001398[1574]): Service exited due to SIGABRT
May 17 21:52:10 imacret com.apple.xpc.launchd[1] (de.rme-audio.dkusb-0x1000013ab[1575]): Service exited due to SIGABRT
May 17 21:52:10 imacret com.apple.xpc.launchd[1] (de.rme-audio.dkusb-0x1000013b9[1576]): Service exited due to SIGABRT
May 17 21:52:10 imacret com.apple.xpc.launchd[1] (de.rme-audio.dkusb-0x1000013be[1577]): Service exited due to SIGABRT
May 17 21:52:10 imacret com.apple.xpc.launchd[1] (de.rme-audio.dkusb-0x1000013c3[1578]): Service exited due to SIGABRT
May 17 21:52:11 imacret com.apple.xpc.launchd[1] (de.rme-audio.dkusb-0x1000013c8[1579]): Service exited due to SIGABRT
...etc

I have sent the crash logs to support@.

I checked the two commands
systemextensionsctl list
and they returned the expected result.

I tried installing 4.02 again, but to no avail.
Next I wanted to downgrade back to 3.27, but it still doesn't work. Also tried to install 3.27 a second time after manually removing the two apps in /Applications and the exts in /library/extensions and /library/audio/plug-ins/hal. No luck.

Any suggestions?

Thanks,
Ben

UFX, iMac 27" late 2014, quad i7, 32 GB ram, 1TB SSD, OSX 11.7, Logic 10.7.4, Final Cut 10.6.5

Unfortunately these crash logs do not help as they include no information on our code. According to these a system function crashes, not related to our driver, so there is nothing logged that could help. BTW, all your crash logs are about the same error/cause.

We are currently trying to reproduce this with a similar computer and 11.6.6.

[deleted outdated info]

Edit 2: we just had to learn that using the current Xcode compiler 13 to generate our driver files produces drivers that won't work under Big Sur. We are investigating how to solve this.

Regards
Matthias Carstens
RME

benst wrote:

Next I wanted to downgrade back to 3.27, but it still doesn't work. Also tried to install 3.27 a second time after manually removing the two apps in /Applications and the exts in /library/extensions and /library/audio/plug-ins/hal. No luck.

Hmm. Unfortunately that is also my experience. The device looks like connected (no HOST LED) but the computer does not recognize the soundcard. ATM I cannot use the Fireface UCX.

MC wrote:

Edit 2: we just had to learn that using the current Xcode compiler 13 to generate our driver files produces drivers that won't work under Big Sur. We are investigating how to solve this.

But the current driver from the website (not the forum version - manual uninstall of beta via finder) also does not work anymore because of the previously installed beta?!

MC wrote:

Unfortunately these crash logs do not help as they include no information on our code. According to these a system function crashes, not related to our driver, so there is nothing logged that could help. BTW, all your crash logs are about the same error/cause.

We are currently trying to reproduce this with a similar computer and 11.6.6.

[deleted outdated info]

Matthias, thanks for looking into this. Your drivers have always been top-notch so I'm sure you can figure this out.

Please let me know if there is any more information about my system you need. And if there is anything I can test, I would be more than happy to help.

Ben

UFX, iMac 27" late 2014, quad i7, 32 GB ram, 1TB SSD, OSX 11.7, Logic 10.7.4, Final Cut 10.6.5

But the current driver from the website (not the forum version - manual uninstall of beta via finder) also does not work anymore because of the previously installed beta?!

I have tried re-installing both the original 327 driver and the updated one from the top post. No luck getting my UFX to work again. To be sure that I didn't mangle the 361 firmware upgrade in the UFX, I connected it to another Mac with an old driver and that worked fine.

The UFX appears correctly in the USB system info, and the kext is loaded. The Fireface settings app sort-of recognizes it with the correct serial# and firmware/driver version#. But the ADAT freq is wrong (32 kHz instead of 44.1). And Totalmix doesn't see it and doesn't open a window. It is also not visible in the audio settings, Logic, etc.

Ben

I don't know why you reinstalled a (now known) non-working driver (4.02). That said we seem to have found a workaround for Big Sur and will make this available shortly. I am optimistic that this driver will bring the UFX back to life.

Regards
Matthias Carstens
RME

MC wrote:

I don't know why you reinstalled a (now known) non-working driver (4.02). That said we seem to have found a workaround for Big Sur and will make this available shortly. I am optimistic that this driver will bring the UFX back to life.

I meant I re-installed 327 from the downloads page, and the updated 327 from your first post. Sorry for the confusion. All this was yesterday night anyway, before this info was known.

Looking forward to the 4.x update. I will let you know how it goes.

Ben

I changed the opening post from 4.02 to 4.03:

- Hot Fix for Big Sur: The installer now contains two drivers, one for macOS 11, one for macOS 12 and higher. They will be automaticaly selected for installation. The previous driver version 4.02, created with current tools from Apple, was no longer compatible with Big Sur.

Regards
Matthias Carstens
RME

I installed 4.03 over the test-version that you emailed me, and everything still works fine. Again thanks for the quick fix for my Big Sur system.

BTW, you still have two mentions of 4.02 in your original post.

Ben

If all fixes were that easy wink

Regards
Matthias Carstens
RME

31 (edited by enricoclaudio 2022-05-21 15:19:11)

Mac Studio M1 Max running macOS 12.4. Updated from macOS 12.3.1 to macOS 12.4 and lost my RME Fireface UCX II running 3.27. Updating to 4.02 did not fix it. After several installations going back and forward between 3.27 and 4.02, decided to power cycling the UCX II and that fixed the issue. Then updated to 4.02 and all was good. Yesterday did update to 4.03 and all is good. No need to power OFF/ON the UCX II to get recognized by macOS 12.4. Thanks for your great job keeping our RMEs audio interfaces up to date wink

Hello!

Will the FF400/800 be included in the next versions?

There is no FireWire in Apple's DriverKit.

Regards
Matthias Carstens
RME

Hi..
I tried the RME USB 4.0.3 beta driver to see if it would solve a problem I was having where my 16" MacBook Pro M1 Max was crashing when booting up after an overnight shutdown. This was not occurring on every boot just every few boots or so. This has been happening for months now. I'm running a BabyFace Pro interface. I finally took a look at the crash log I was sending to Apple and saw that RME's extension was at the top of the crash stack trace. It's been 5 days now, since I installed 4.0.3 and no crashing so I think that first, it was the old driver causing the crash and second, the new beta driver seems to have fixed the problem.

THANKS!!

One more minor thing I noticed. The 4.0.3 driver seems to have trouble hiding the RME Total Mix application window. I find that some times it is showing when the Mac finishes booting. Not a big deal I just close it but just thought you would like to know this. I also stopped getting the Apple messages about outdated software which I suspect is a key goal of this release.

Hope this helps with your beta testing:

DETAILS:
SYSTEM: Apple MacBook Pro M1 Max 16-in, 2021
MACOS: 12.4
INTERFACE: Babyface Pro
FIRMWARE: v200
DRIVER: v4.03

bharding wrote:

Hi..
I tried the RME USB 4.0.3 beta driver to see if it would solve a problem I was having where my 16" MacBook Pro M1 Max was crashing when booting up after an overnight shutdown. This was not occurring on every boot just every few boots or so. This has been happening for months now. I'm running a BabyFace Pro interface. I finally took a look at the crash log I was sending to Apple and saw that RME's extension was at the top of the crash stack trace. It's been 5 days now, since I installed 4.0.3 and no crashing so I think that first, it was the old driver causing the crash and second, the new beta driver seems to have fixed the problem.

THANKS!!

One more minor thing I noticed. The 4.0.3 driver seems to have trouble hiding the RME Total Mix application window. I find that some times it is showing when the Mac finishes booting. Not a big deal I just close it but just thought you would like to know this. I also stopped getting the Apple messages about outdated software which I suspect is a key goal of this release.

Hope this helps with your beta testing:

DETAILS:
SYSTEM: Apple MacBook Pro M1 Max 16-in, 2021
MACOS: 12.4
INTERFACE: Babyface Pro
FIRMWARE: v200
DRIVER: v4.03

According to the fist post, your Babyface Pro needs to be updated to Firmware 226 for the 4.03 driver to work properly. You are running firmware 200 in your Babyface pro.

Well at first I thought that was true until I found there was no firmware 200 for the Babyface Pro. So I looked again at the requirements and it says:

Current USB firmware versions: UFX+ 54, UFX II 23/111, UFX 361, UCX II 39, UCX 49, 802 17/111, Babyface Pro 200, Babyface 226,  MADIface USB 25, Pro 73, XT 191, Digiface USB 18, Digiface Dante 45, Digiface AVB 244.

There is a different firmware version for the Babyface Pro vs the Babyface. 200 is correct. at least from this information in the Readme file.

37 (edited by El Duderino 2022-05-24 21:28:39)

Just some feedback:

I had daily hard (pink screen) crashs with my Mac Mini M1 everytime it woke up and the Fireface was not plugged in anymore. So far this symptom disappeared. But now I saw for the first time the system dialog that my RAM is almost full and I have immediately close some programs. You guys like drama. ;-) - No harm intended. So far it happened twice. The system is not changed beside the beta driver. No idea what is triggering that panic dialog. It happens with any app that needs more then 1 GB - only a restart helped to getting back to normal. The readings in the activity monitor looking not that bad. Will investigate further.

bharding wrote:

Well at first I thought that was true until I found there was no firmware 200 for the Babyface Pro.

There definitely is.

Regards
Matthias Carstens
RME

You are of course absolutely correct, my bad. I meant to say there was no firmware 226 for the Babyface Pro.  At least that I could find.Thanks for catching my typo.

So this RAM-is-full window is my new daily special - here is a screenshot when it appears:

https://i.ibb.co/xS3f8ZG/Bildschirmfoto.png

Although it looks like the computer is imploding in the next minutes I can in parallel open up Photoshop to edit the screenshot, wasting 1,5 GB additional memory. I am new to Mac, so bare with me, if this an easy problem which has nothing to do with the beta driver. But I have the computer for a year now and never saw that dialog although working with the Adobe suite working all the time which is no comparison to the load right now.

BTW when this RAM fiasko starts the driver is not available to the system anymore. The Fireface looses connection to the computer, although the host LED on the device is not indicating that.

That RAM stuff happens on our new Macs as well and has nothing to do with our driver (as the details in your screenshot also clearly show). On our 16 GB machines we see the same effects, no matter what (even Safari uses 1 GB by just opening one website), but due to more physical RAM we never get the warning message.

Regards
Matthias Carstens
RME

Thank you for the response but I have to insist: This computer have seen heavier workloads then Firefox before. Like Firefox, Opera, Illustrator, Photoshop and InDesign in parallel - without any sign of this window. Also the activity monitor does not make sense to me. This does not look like a system on it's knees. Also - it does not matter how many programs I quit - the window reappears in minutes after the RAM is freed. The whole behaviour "feels" strange in an way that it does not make much sense. I hope you understand what I mean. For example: I cannot trigger this by opening up an ample amount of high RAM apps. It's like there is an invisible app consuming RAM and the system reacts to this. The graphics use the same 8GB on M1 - maybe TotalMix have a leakage there (just a silly idea)?

Just went back from 4.03 to 3.27 on my UFX+ because I couldn't control my Octamic XTCs parameters via TotalMixFX anymore.

Happy Fireface UFX+, Octamic XTC and M-32 Pro user.
http://www.stoersender-studio.ch

MIDI over MADI or DIN?

Regards
Matthias Carstens
RME

MC wrote:

MIDI over MADI or DIN?

I‘m using DIN since midi-over-madi messages don‘t seem to get passed through my m32 da and ad boxes.

Happy Fireface UFX+, Octamic XTC and M-32 Pro user.
http://www.stoersender-studio.ch

Confirmed, thanks for reporting. MIDI is not functional for USB3 devices as the ARM version is simply missing. Fix upcoming.

Regards
Matthias Carstens
RME

Driver 4.04 is now available, which also brings MIDI back. I specifically tested your setup with UFX+, XTC, and TM FX remote via DIN and MIDI.

https://forum.rme-audio.de/viewtopic.php?id=35444

Regards
Matthias Carstens
RME

48 (edited by Samhain 2023-02-12 19:24:45)

MC wrote:

HotFix for Big Sur in V 4.03: Driver is now compatible again.

- More interfaces supported

Attention: Fireface UFX / UCX / UC / 802 and Babyface require a firmware update to versions UFX: 361, UCX: 49, UC: 127, 802: 17 (111), Babyface: 226 to enable the use of this DriverKit driver. Link to firmware update tool:

Update:

Any feedback is much appreciated.

Just a little question:

There is no information about Fireface 800.
Is this series complete out of support for further drivers?

If this so, it will be a great information for me (and the other FF800/400 users).

Thanks a lot for your statement smile

thx
Franky

Samhain wrote:

Just a little question:

There is no information about Fireface 800.
Is this series complete out of support for further drivers?

If this so, it will be a great information for me (and the other FF800/400 users).

Thanks a lot for your statement smile

https://forum.rme-audio.de/viewtopic.ph … 23#p197623

Regards
Matthias Carstens
RME

Thx for the link. But i'm not sure (my English is not really good sad )

Is my understanding correct, that Fireface 800 has no future?

thx
Franky