Topic: Week old UCX II won't turn on

I've had my UCX II for just over a week and have loved it so far. I just sent in the registration this morning and downloaded Digicheck, but when I went to turn on the interface to look at the new version of Digicheck it will not turn on. Is there some kind of hardware reset I can try?

Not sure what the troubleshooting steps are but here are few things I've checked

- Power cord is properly connected and locked. I can see the green LED is lit.
- I tried two different power outlets at home.
- I always have the power cord connected and have tried it both with the USB connection and without.
- Interface has not moved from my studio desk since it arrived.

Thanks for your help.

Re: Week old UCX II won't turn on

Does the screen show anything at all when you turn it on? There are several posts of people that get an error message on the screen and I believe it's an indication of poor solder on one of the chips.

And just to confirm, you are turning on by pushing the encoder knob? And not on a power strip/switch?

-Steve

The screen does not turn on, not even the back light. It doesn't respond at all.

I'm pressing the knob for on/off. Except for my testing in other outlets this morning, it's stayed plugged in on my studio desk and I've used the knob to turn it on/off. I keep my power strip on.

Bummer to hear about that error message, but maybe they can be repaired rather than needing to wait for replacements. Everything is back ordered for months in the US.

there was a bootloader message that some people saw:  https://forum.rme-audio.de/viewtopic.php?id=34532

and, yes, it was an RMA repair not replacement. supply chain issues. sorry to hear about your issue.

do you have a volt meter? are you capable of measuring what your power supply is putting out? strange that not even the backlight is turning on.

I don't have a volt meter, sorry. I'm using the power supply that came with the device and it's worked from the time I opened the box until now. I'd be surprised if that was the issue, but I can't confirm it isn't.

6 (edited by vinark 2022-06-01 21:09:35)

Yes it is not likely, but also it has all symptoms of a dead psu. Anything else in your studio/house that has a psu that is within the ucx specs (they are on the unit)?

Vincent, Amsterdam
https://soundcloud.com/thesecretworld
Babyface pro fs, HDSP9652+ADI-8AE, HDSP9632

7 (edited by sbcrikey 2022-06-01 21:19:26)

12VDC but make sure whatever you try has the same polarity markings!!!

and just for sanity's sake, wouldn't hurt to give a tug on the cord going into the unit to verify that it is indeed locked into place. you can really tell when the tabs go all the way and give it a twist.

good luck!

-Steve

I remembered I had a non-contact voltage detector but forgot it came with a multimeter! Never used one before, but using the manual I think I had it set up properly. On its battery setting it read 7V on an old cheap 9V battery I had around and on the DC setting it read 12V for the RME power supply. I was hoping it might be that easy...

I'll dig around but the two other PSUs I found easily are 15V and 16V. Didn't check polarity because of the voltage.

I just double checked the power connection. It's tight in there.

On the back it says 9 to 18volts.

Vincent, Amsterdam

confirmed it's not the power supply. I used the PSU I've been using with my FF400 and it will start the FF but not the UCX II. The PSU that came with the UCX II will also start the FF. I'll call the support line.

Ah to bad, good luck!

Vincent, Amsterdam