Topic: Fireface UCX // Does not power up // Shuts down // Loose contact?

Hi!

I own the Fireface UCX. Great sounding piece of gear! I am having problem though that got increasingly worse over time:

It does not power up anymore without knocking on the casing. Usually it works then, but sometimes it pops off after hours of usage.

I have replaced the USB and power cable to rule out possible issues. Also, I applied contact spray to the pin sockets to rule out contact issues between the two boards. When taking the casing away, I noticed that a slight knock on the upper board turns on the UCX.

Do you have an idea what could be causing this issue? Are there typical components to look out for? I know well how to solder, but SMD is another degree of complexity. Should I get a lense to check for broken solder joints or what do you recommend me to do?

Thank you!

Re: Fireface UCX // Does not power up // Shuts down // Loose contact?

If nobody answers here, then I would suggest to write an e-mail to RME support. Did you do already?

BR Ramses - UFX III, 12Mic, XTC, ADI-2 Pro FS R BE, RayDAT, X10SRi-F, E5-1680v4, Win10Pro22H2, Cub13

Thanks for getting back! I just sent an e-mail to the RME support. I'll keep you updated for the sake of documentation.

Forwarded to service, looks like a hardware issue...

Regards
Daniel Fuchs
RME