Topic: Can I connect Babyface Pro FS with my old Babyface?

Hi,

I've been thinking about connecting my Babyface Pro FS with my really old Babyface (not pro, the one with breakout cable) for the extra in/out.
I've read the manual and it says I can connect 2 Babyface Pro FS together but I don't know if it works the same with older model as well.

I only need 2 extra in/out and I already have my old working interface, so I thought this might work??

Thanks.

2 (edited by ramses 2022-07-17 19:00:27)

Re: Can I connect Babyface Pro FS with my old Babyface?

What do you mean exactly? The two interfaces connected via USB or one connected to the the other through ADAT?
Both is possible. Both use the same driver. Also stand-alone mode is possible.
When connecting / operating both in parallel you need to clock sync them through ADAT.
And you need to ensure to set for both interfaces the same ASIO buffersize (if Windows).
As the converter have a little difference in terms of conversion time you will notice a little (minor) difference in timing on recorded tracks which you should be able to compensate in the DAW.
BBF            converter conversion latency @44.1: A/D 43 samples 0.98ms, D/A 28 samples 0.63ms
BBF Pro FS converter conversion latency @44.1: A/D 5 samples   0.11ms, D/A  7 samples 0.16ms

BR Ramses - UFX III, 12Mic, XTC, ADI-2 Pro FS R BE, RayDAT, X10SRi-F, E5-1680v4, Win10Pro22H2, Cub13

3 (edited by Bavon 2022-07-17 19:50:49)

ramses wrote:

What do you mean exactly? The two interfaces connected via USB or one connected to the the other through ADAT?
Both is possible. Both use the same driver. Also stand-alone mode is possible.
When connecting / operating both in parallel you need to clock sync them through ADAT.
And you need to ensure to set for both interfaces the same ASIO buffersize (if Windows).
As the converter have a little difference in terms of conversion time you will notice a little (minor) difference in timing on recorded tracks which you should be able to compensate in the DAW.
BBF            converter conversion latency @44.1: A/D 43 samples 0.98ms, D/A 28 samples 0.63ms
BBF Pro FS converter conversion latency @44.1: A/D 5 samples   0.11ms, D/A  7 samples 0.16ms

Thank you!! this is basically what I wanted to know. big_smile

ramses wrote:

The two interfaces connected via USB

I didn't know that I can also connect the two via USB. Is there any link or manual somewhere that can explain this bit?

Sorry if this is a stupid question but I don't know where to find these informations.

4 (edited by ramses 2022-07-17 20:12:18)

RME tests up to three devices for their drivers, theoretically even more are possible, but not tested.
In terms of clock synch you can chain it through ADAT.

PC------USB------BBF1                            clock master
                           |
                          ADAT OUT
                          ADAT IN
                           |
PC------USB------BBF2                            clock slave, gets clock via ADAT IN from BBF1
                           |
                          ADAT OUT
                          ADAT IN
                           |
PC------USB------BBF3                           clock slave, gets clock via ADAT IN from BBF2

I showed here only the TOSLINKs important for clock synch, of course you should also connect TOSLINK cables for the other transfer direction for audio.

Each interface has a TM FX instance of it's own. So you can't simply route e.g. a HW input of BBF2 to HW output of BBF1 in terms of the digital routing matrix of each device, this is a fix boundary. But you can of course route up to 8 channels through ADAT at single speed or 4 channels at double speed, etc.

BR Ramses - UFX III, 12Mic, XTC, ADI-2 Pro FS R BE, RayDAT, X10SRi-F, E5-1680v4, Win10Pro22H2, Cub13

Ok, I think that's everything I needed to know.

Thank you again for the long and clear explanation.