1 (edited by AndyGuitar 2022-07-23 11:31:13)

Topic: USB Flash Tool Fail (TotalMix does not connect - Mac Studio)

Hi all,

can you help me with this: I just got a new Mac Studio (base model, Monterey 12.4) and I can't get my Fireface 802 to run with my DAW.

I have gone through the steps as described on the RME website (recovery mode + allow kernel extensions) and was able to install the latest USB drivers (Fireface USB 327).

Total Mix and Fireface USB settings are running and the Fireface is regognized by my DAW (Reaper) but playback/recording etc. doesn't work. Also Total Mix says "disconnected".

When I run the USB series Flash Tool and hit "update" it says: Failed with error 90000004/3 (if I run it several times this number changes while it still failes). I have reinstalled the USB drivers and the Flash Tool several times (removed all installation files before as instructed in the forum) but the result is the same. I also tried different USB cables, turned the device + mac on and off etc.

As I have read in another thread Firewire doesn't run with the Mac Studio, so buying an FW800 to Thunderbolt/USB3 adapter is also not a solution, right?

I don't really get the Class Compliant mode thing, the audio midi setup says 48kHz 8ch 32-Bit Gleitzahl but doesn't give me an option to change anything (I am obviously a rookie in this regard)

It is frustrating. Can you please help me with this?

Thank you so much in advance!
All the best,
Andreas

2 (edited by Christian Baum 2022-07-23 17:05:41)

Re: USB Flash Tool Fail (TotalMix does not connect - Mac Studio)

Hi there,

there seems to be quite some issues mixed, and since I don't have an 802, I can only try to clear up a few things before some mighty hero steps in with more details:

• Firewire should still work on a Mac Studio with Monterey and all the adapters. But it will be quite a hassle to setup and configure AND there's no future for this - macOS Ventura (in autumn) definitely will kill any FW support.

• Did you consider using the new beta driver 4.04 (top entry in this sub-forum)? It avoids Apple's age-old driver system and uses the new DriverKit that will be the future and exclusive from Ventura onwards. That being said, I don't know if the beta driver is for the 802 at all. I bought a Babyface Pro FS recently, and for that one it works without any issues so far.

• Somewhere in the threads around the new beta driver, MC mentioned that you HAVE to update your firmware BEFORE using the new driver. The flash tool doesn't seem to work with the newest Macs however. That's why I connected my Babyface to my old iMac first, updated the firmware and THEN installed it with the beta driver on the Mac studio. MAYBE that's your issue. However, if you don't consider the beta driver, you also won't need the firmware update, AFAIK. In the not too distant future, it might be necessary though because the old Kext driver won't be developed forever.

Best regards,

Christian

What happens when you boot up the mac, then switch on/connect the 802? AFAIR there were reports it doesn't work when booting connected. If it is detected (is the USB LED on the unit lit, is it shown in System Report?) you then need to give permission (the Security&Privacy Allow button game - you did not mention that at all. It would result in exactly what you describe).

Regards
Matthias Carstens
RME

Hi Christian and Matthias,

thank you very much for your quick and detailed answers (on a saturday!) - Vielen lieben Dank!

With your suggetions I was able to proceed a little further but unfortunately I can't get the issue fixed.
Here's what I did:

- @Matthias: The USB LED is lit as soon as I plug in the cable so that's all good. Sorry for not mentioning that in the first place.
I tried rebooting (or completely turning off/on) the Mac before switching on the Fireface but that doesn't change the situation.

- @Christian: You were right: On my Mac Studio with Monterey 12.4. I was unable to update the firmware. But I succeeded with my old systems so the firmware is now up to date. (Completely Murphy's law here: The installer doesn't run on my previous machine - a Mac Pro with OSX 10.10. so I had to install everything on my Macbook Pro with 10.13. but then no Wifi downstairs in my Studio, the whole process took me over an hour :-)

After the firmware update Total Mix was still showing "disconnected". I de- and re-installed the latest drivers several times (incl. the kernel allow thing) but the same result.

So I de-installed the drivers and installed the beta driver 4.04 as Christian suggested. Finally Total Mix said "connected".

Sofar so good, but I still can't get Reaper to run with the Fireface. Reaper recognizes the Fireface as the DAW's interface but as soon as I choose it Reaper becomes extremely "laggy", Playback doesn't work and there is now signal coming in or out. I'm on the latest Reaper version (these get updated nearly every week) and Reaper is running smoothly when set to the internal audio output of the Mac Studio or the Headphone output.
To troubleshoot my DAW I tried running the FF in Garage Band with the same result: Here Playback works but there is no signal coming in or out. At one time Garage Band even froze my whole machine completely which could only be fixed by holding the on/off button for 5 seconds..

I have another interface which is a small one channel IK Multimedia irig hd 2 and I am so frustrated to tell you that this shitty interface works just flawlessly in both Reaper and Garage band: Just plug and play, no updates needed..

I have licences for Pro Tools, Studio One and Logic but I don't want to install these on my new machine and also I don't think we would find out anything new by doing so.

I am not a tech guy (which is one of the reasons why I went with RME). Certainly I am missing something here. Why would a cheap interface run on the Mac Studio while my RME Fireface 802 doesn't?

I am sorry to spread my frustration here. Do you guys have any further suggestions?

Thank you all
Andy

Sorry, I'm at a loss here. Sounds as if it is a problem with the driver or (more probable) an interaction of the RME driver with something else, maybe? The machine itself is fast enough, the beta driver works flawlessly on other such systems etc.

Did you disconnect everything in hardware, incl. class compliant stuff, hubs, docks, external drives etc? Only Mac, screen, keyboard, mouse? Do you run any legacy software? Does Reaper accidentally run in Rosetta mode due to incompatible Plugins?

MC will certainly have more insight into possible issues with different hardware or software.

Good luck and best regards,

Christian

Thank you Christian. Yes I have disconnected everything. All I use right now is an active USB hub for Keyboard and Mouse and I have one Monitor connected via HDMI. The Fireface is plugged directly into the Mac as usual.
The Mac Studio is still pretty "naked". I have already installed all of my processing VSTs like Izotope, Waves etc. but not yet the instrument VSTs. But I do need to install these tomorrow as I have some urgent tracks to deliver.

Honestly I don't think these are the reasons. Today I have plugged in my old Zoom HN4 and it worked immediately. Plug & play & done. At the moment I am forced to use this thing as my interface..

Does anybody have any suggestions? Are there any rules before I can contact support?

Thank you!
Andy

I think you may still miss a step, after re-installing the v3.27 driver (before restarting) go to Apple System Preferences, Security & Privacy tab, unlock the padlock on the bottom left, and "Allow" the kernel extension to run.

See here, scroll to the middle of the page for a graphic: https://rme-audio.com/downloads.html

Regards,
Jeff Petersen
Synthax Inc.

Thanks Jeff! You're right, but that's what I (always) did.
I am still hoping for a simpe "user's fault" like this, but in this case I followed the exact same pattern that is shown on the RME website. Also the 3.27 driver didn't get me into "connected" mode in Total Mix, strangely only the beta 4.04 driver does. But I will re-try the 3.27 again several times. Thank you!

9 (edited by AndyGuitar 2022-07-26 13:16:27)

Guys is there really no solution to this and am I the only one experiencing these issues?

I have once again gone through the process of uninstalling the software and re-installing it. I always start with the 327 drivers then uninstalling, re-booting, then installing the beta 4.04..

By uninstalling I am following these steps: https://www.forum.rme-audio.de/viewtopic.php?id=9233

What is strange is that I don't see all of these filesmentioned in the thread.

Here is what I can delete:
- Applications/Fireface USB settings
- Applications/TotalMix
- de.rme-audio.dkusbsettings
- de.rme-audio.RMEfirefaceUSBAgent

Here are the files that don't appear in my system:
- Applications/USB Mixer (is that Total Mix now?)
- Macintosh HD/Library/Extensions —> an Extensions folder does not exist here
- User/Library/Extensions —> the Extensions folder also does not exist here in the user library (the Finder + hold alt Key library)
- Macintosh HD/Library/Preferences/Fireface folder —> a Fireface folder does not exist here
- /Users/username/Library/Preferences/de.rme-audio.FirefaceUSBMixer.plist —> does not exist
- /Users/username/Library/Preferences/de.rme-audio.TotalmixFX.plist  —> does not exist
- /Users/username/Library/Preferences/de.rme-audio.Fireface_USB_Settings.plist  —> does not exist

What is also strange is, that when I install the 327 driver the Apple System Preferences/Security&Privacy no longer shows an addiational RME tab to unlock. Also Total Mix appears as an icon in the dock but doesn't open when clicking.

When (uninstalling the 327 and) installing the beta 4.04. Total Mix does open and show "connected" but the DAWs only "work" as described above.

Am I doing something run when uninstalling? Can anybody please help me?

Thank you!
Andy