1 (edited by Frank007 2022-07-25 19:00:51)

Topic: ADAT expansion -> Behringer ADA8200

Just got my ADI-2 PRO FS R  at home and sounds great..

What steps do i need to take to expand it with my Behringer ADA8200?

I connected it with 2 optical cables but the in and outputs won't show up in my DAW

Re: ADAT expansion -> Behringer ADA8200

You have to select the correct “Mode” in ADI-2 Pro.
Read page 36 ff.

Probably USBInterface Mode (page 39) is well suited for your purpose.

Install ADI-2 Pro’s driver for ASIO support.

3 (edited by ramses 2022-08-01 11:43:28)

Better would be to get an RME recording interface with TotalMix FX
— expand it with the ADA-8200 and
— finally, add the ADI-2 Pro to enhance your monitoring section

PC
| |
(USB)
| |
| +--- ARC USB
|
Digiface USB (clock master)----ADAT1 OUT----->-----------ADAT IN------ADA8200 (clock slave)
                                          -----ADAT1 IN-------<-----------ADAT OUT----+
                                          -----ADAT2 OUT ---->-----------ADAT IN------ADI-2 Pro FS R BE (clock slave)--->monitors/phones
                                          -----ADAT2 IN ------<------------ADAT OUT --+

or alternatively RayDAT (PCIe) instead of Digiface USB
or UCX II

PC
| |
(USB)
| |
| +--- ARC USB
|
UCX II (clock master)----ADAT1 OUT----->-----------ADAT IN------ADA8200 (clock slave)
                                 ----ADAT1 IN-------<-----------ADAT OUT----+
                                 -----AES OUT ---->-------------AES IN--------ADI-2 Pro FS R BE (clock slave)--->monitors/phones
                                 -----AES IN ------<-------------AES OUT -----+

Where UCX II automatically gives you numerous add-on values … Mic preamps from UFX II, DURec, Autoset, very low converter latency, ARC USB port in the back if you do not use DURec (otherwise connect ARC USB to PC).

BR Ramses - UFX III, 12Mic, XTC, ADI-2 Pro FS R BE, RayDAT, X10SRi-F, E5-1680v4, Win10Pro22H2, Cub13

KaiS wrote:

Read page 36 ff.

I think you meant Multi-channel mode? There is no digital input in default stereo mode...

Regards
Matthias Carstens
RME

5 (edited by KaiS 2022-07-26 05:18:31)

MC wrote:
KaiS wrote:

Read page 36 ff.

I think you meant Multi-channel mode? There is no digital input in default stereo mode...

Ah... yes, manual page 40:

17.4.2 Class Compliant Multi-channel mode

With USB connected all digital and analog inputs (6 channels) are routed to USB recording. In the same way USB playback will feed all outputs separately (8 channels).

In 6/8 channel mode all I/Os can be used separately. Phones output 3/4 provides USB playback of channels 1/2 when its Source is set to Auto (default).

KaiS wrote:

Read page 36 ff.

Thanks for you're help.

Somehow i can't change CC-mode.. Its in stereo mode and the selection bar stays grey and can't change it.
Tried all modes but can't change this option. Any idea?

7 (edited by Frank007 2022-07-26 20:16:37)

ramses wrote:

Better would be to get a RME recording interface with TotalMix FX
- expand it with the ADA-8200 and
- finally add the ADI-2 Pro to enhance your monitoring section

Thanks for you're answer..   I assumed with the ADAT in and outputs i could get 8 extra ins and outs. But this isn't the case?   Because compared to my Apollo twin the sound really good so can't go back.. Im still able to return my unit and change it to different model. What would you advice?

8 (edited by KaiS 2022-07-26 20:16:57)

Frank007 wrote:

Somehow i can't change CC-mode.. Its in stereo mode and the selection bar stays grey and can't change it.

Temporarily plug out the USB-Cable, then it works.

9 (edited by Frank007 2022-07-26 20:51:17)

KaiS wrote:
Frank007 wrote:

Temporarily plug out the USB-Cable, then it works.

Yes this worked!!! And the in and outputs show up in Ableton!!!!  You guys are great.
*edit - In Ableton there is no audio going in out.. Gonna look at this tomorrow.

10 (edited by ramses 2022-08-01 11:42:24)

Frank007 wrote:
ramses wrote:

Better would be to get a RME recording interface with TotalMix FX
- expand it with the ADA-8200 and
- finally, add the ADI-2 Pro to enhance your monitoring section

Thanks for your answer…   I assumed, with the ADAT inputs and outputs, I could get 8 extra ins and outs. But this isn't the case?   Because compared to my Apollo twin the sound really good so can't go back… I'm still able to return my unit and change it to a different model. What would you advise?

I would base a recording solution on a recording interface with TotalMix FX. This gives you the required flexibility in terms of routing, loopback operation, operation in general.

Such a solution you can expand by adding preamps and AD/DA converter via ADAT, AES, MADI, etc ..

The ADI-2 Pro you can add to enhance e.g., the monitoring section, see also my blog article how to integrate this into your solution, incidentally … I gave you already a few examples above.

https://www.tonstudio-forum.de/blog/Ent … our-Setup/

I am using myself a similar solution, at the end the same concept

PC---ARC USB
|
UFX+-----------ADAT1 OUT------ADI-2 Pro FS R BE (recording corner)--------------------------------------------------Monitors/Phones
|    |  \----------ADAT2 OUT-----------------------------+Optosel 4:1 Mk II------ADI-2 Pro FS R BE (HiFi corner)-----HiFi
|    +---12Mic                                         Blu-ray---/
|    +---Octamic XTC                              TV--------/
+--+
(MADI)

BR Ramses - UFX III, 12Mic, XTC, ADI-2 Pro FS R BE, RayDAT, X10SRi-F, E5-1680v4, Win10Pro22H2, Cub13

Thanks for the suggestion think i will buy an ARC.

One last question is the my ADI-2 Pro limited in the extension of ADAT channels or can i keep expanding with extra converters?

12 (edited by Frank007 2022-07-28 19:46:09)

Sorry for all the questions.. Because i saw the ADAT in/outs on the back of my ADI Pro i expected i could expand it very easily.. 
Im still able to return my unit. If i just need some extra in/outs isn't the RME Fireface UCX II the best option for me?

13 (edited by ramses 2022-08-01 11:28:43)

Check manual … Information about that is included, search for ADAT.

If I remember right, only the first two channels are being used from ADAT protocol.

If you intend to connect external devices, like e.g., a Preamp with 8 Mic ports, then I would definitively use a recording interface. You are far more flexible to record those 8 channels and to use them for individual submixes.

As nice as the ADI-2 Pro is … Mainly it is a converter … if you need a recording interface, get a recording interface with TM FX.
In a 2nd step, you can enhance your monitoring section with the ADI-2 DAC or Pro as you like / need / prefer (in terms of features, I/O ports).

14 (edited by vinark 2022-07-29 09:12:38)

If you like the audio quality but need 8 adat channels, the cheapest option is the digiface USB. It has 4 adat portst, 4 in 4 out, and you can connect both your ADI2 and Behringer to it. Plus later another 2 optical devices.

Vincent, Amsterdam
https://soundcloud.com/thesecretworld
Babyface pro fs, HDSP9652+ADI-8AE, HDSP9632

Also, the Babyface pro FS has adat and sounds great too, I have one.

Vincent, Amsterdam
https://soundcloud.com/thesecretworld
Babyface pro fs, HDSP9652+ADI-8AE, HDSP9632

vinark wrote:

If you like the audio quality but need 8 adat channels, the cheapest option is the digiface USB. It has 4 adat portst, 4 in 4 out, and you can connect both your ADI2 and Behringer to it. Plus later another 2 optical devices.

Thanks for the suggestion!   Do i loose sound quality if i go for the "Fireface UCX II"  compared to my ADI-2 pro?  The Fireface already has some outputs in the back.. The headphone outputs are not really important for me..

17 (edited by ramses 2022-08-01 11:04:05)

vinark wrote:

Also, the Babyface Pro FS has ADAT and sounds great too, I have one.

He wants to integrate ADI-2 Pro and ADA8200. BBF Pro has only 1 ADAT port.
Then he cannot make use of the ADA8200's outputs as the ADI-2 Pro is connected to ADAT OUT of the BBF Pro.

vinark wrote:

If you like the audio quality but need 8 ADAT channels, the cheapest option is the Digiface USB. It has 4 ADAT ports, 4 in 4 out, and you can connect both your ADI2 and Behringer to it. Plus later another 2 optical devices.

I proposed this already together with a diagram in my post #3 in this thread.
https://forum.rme-audio.de/viewtopic.ph … 39#p189939

Frank007 wrote:
vinark wrote:

If you like the audio quality but require 8 ADAT channels, the cheapest option is the Digiface USB. It has 4 ADAT ports, 4 in 4 out, and you can connect both your ADI-2 and Behringer to it. Plus later another 2 optical devices.

Thanks for the suggestion!   Do I lose sound quality if I go for the “Fireface UCX II”  compared to my ADI-2 pro?  The Fireface already has some outputs in the back. The headphone outputs are not really important for me.

I, personally, wouldn't sell the ADI-2 Pro, it's an excellent device for your monitoring section.
Combine it with a recording interface like the Digiface USB, it's a really non-expensive solution and all will work great.

ramses wrote:

I, personally, wouldn't sell the ADI-2 Pro, it's an excellent device for your monitoring section.
Combine it with a recording interface like the Digiface USB, it's a really non-expensive solution and all will work great.

But isn't this overkill for me? Just need a few in/outputs and expand in the future maybe with an ADAT.
Isn't the "Fireface UCX II" than the perfect fit?  What offers the ADI-2 Pro over the Fireface UCX II? Highquality Headphone outputs aren't priority

Check manual for all the features. It's clearly described therein.

Frank007 wrote:
ramses wrote:

But isn't this overkill for me? Just need a few in/outputs and expand in the future maybe with an ADAT.
Isn't the "Fireface UCX II" than the perfect fit?  What offers the ADI-2 Pro over the Fireface UCX II? Highquality Headphone outputs aren't priority

After all info that came up here:

If you have a certain limited amount of $$$ to spend, the Fireface /Digiface route is certainty the way to go.
It’s a One Stop Shop as central unit for project studio recording.
Get one with 8 analog I/Os and you won’t have to worry about expansions for quite some time.

Adding ADI-2 Pro offers:

• A bit higher spec’s here and there,
• Some functions that are nice, but not needed in a studio environment (e.g. Loudness Correction is NoGo in the studio).
• A selection of AD and DA filter option, that make an audible difference, but only in the lower sample rates 44.1 and 48 kHz.
If you record 96 kHz (recommended) you don’t need to care.
• Super High-End headphones outputs, that you say you don’t need.

Thanks for the answer KaiS.. Still have 3 days to return the unit so gonna take my time to think about it.