Topic: Other Software Update Kills RME Drivers

Twice now, I have updated some software that wiped out RME permissions on MacOS that prevented it from opening.

I had to go into the Terminal and do some crazy stuff to eventually get it back.

I know about the thread that details how to do this but the info was not 100% correct which meant it cost me a few hours time, again.

I know the thread says that it's an Apple fix but how come this doesn't seem to happen with any other software bedsides the RME Total Mix and HDPSe apps?

I use a fair amount of software that requires me to "Allow" it in the Security & Privacy area and this has never happened with any other software, just RME. Twice.

I hope it can be addressed on the RME side so it doesn't keep happening.

2 (edited by Jperkins 2022-03-31 13:37:29)

Re: Other Software Update Kills RME Drivers

Once again, updating Universal Audio plugins software wipes out my RME apps and I have to f*ck around again for an hour at least to reset it trying to guess what I need to type into the Terminal in Safe Mode to reset the permissions.

Can RME please fix this ASAP? Ain't nobody got time for this.

Once again, today's Universal Audio update killed my RME drivers and I had to boot in recovery mode and do some work in the Terminal, restart the Mac, reset permissions for a number of things and then restart again and then check on everything.

It would be VERY nice if I didn't have to do this every time there is a UAD update.

Since the other thread is closed and the steps to really fix it are spread throughout multiple posts and isn't super clear, here is a screen shot of what I typed into the Terminal and what it told me. Luckily I guessed on the first try this time.

Since I don't think you can take a screen shot in Recovery Mode, here's a phone photo for reference:

https://www.dropbox.com/s/7t5vjb9v50yyq … .jpeg?dl=0

And despite the Terminal telling me it was a success and then re-permitting RME and others in the System Prefs, RME apps would still not launch so I did all that again and this time put an underscore in Macintosh_HD and now it appears to really be working again.

RME apps are launched.

5 (edited by Jperkins 2022-07-23 13:44:42)

This happened AGAIN last night after updating an app called SoftRAID which I have to use for my OWC SSD hard drives even though I don't use them in a RAID configuration.

After updating this app, my RME apps did not launch, just like what's been happening when I update the UAD software.

I was one last attempt away from upgrading to Monterey in a desperate attempt to get my RME drivers/apps working again.

For the love of got PLEASE fix this. It only happens to my RME apps/drivers. This time it took over an hour of various attempts to run the terminal command and re approve permissions to things in various order so that everything finally worked again.

Hi everyone
Same problem here
Been searching for hours to solve this problem with rme drivers…
Found in the rme forum the following  rme.to/reset video and followed to the letter…
Still not working…
Come on rme do something for god sake
Hi hit support and they are not helping
Rme please fix this

Jperkins wrote:

Once again, updating Universal Audio plugins software wipes out my RME apps and I have to f*ck around again for an hour at least to reset it trying to guess what I need to type into the Terminal in Safe Mode to reset the permissions.

mariovaliquette wrote:
Jperkins wrote:

Same here
Spent days trying to fix
Please rme do something

Not much we can do there, this is an Apple issue, quite clearly. When our new drivers (currently in beta for USB) become available, this won't happen any more.

Regards
Daniel Fuchs
RME

I want to believe it's an Apple issue but since the RME driver is the only one that is ever affected by this, it's hard to know why it's an Apple issue, especially if RME can fix it.

Anyway, I wonder if it's only a Big Sur issue since my Monterey M1 MacBook Pro doesn't seem to suffer from this. For various reasons, I upgraded my 2019 Intel Mac Pro to Monterey yesterday as well so we'll see if that also clears it up.

Do you have an ETA on the new drivers?

I didn't say that new drivers fix this specific issue (installation of something else revoking permissions), and it's not RME specific, either. New drivers will work in an entirely different way and no longer require all this.

Regards
Daniel Fuchs
RME

Anyway, I wonder if it's only a Big Sur issue since my Monterey M1 MacBook Pro doesn't seem to suffer from this. For various reasons, I upgraded my 2019 Intel Mac Pro to Monterey yesterday as well so we'll see if that also clears it up.

IMO Monterey should be better, I had the same with my Macbook Pro on Big Sur. After updating the OS Apple's security system has a lot less drama.

Regards,
Jeff Petersen
Synthax Inc.

RME Support wrote:

I didn't say that new drivers fix this specific issue (installation of something else revoking permissions), and it's not RME specific, either. New drivers will work in an entirely different way and no longer require all this.

Now I'm confused because your message said "When our new drivers (currently in beta for USB) become available, this won't happen any more."

I'm not sure how else to interpret that message other than that the new drivers become available, the issue will be fixed.

The issue of the Mac security system still exists, but the RME driver is working in a different way.

Regards,
Jeff Petersen
Synthax Inc.

Jeff wrote:

The issue of the Mac security system still exists, but the RME driver is working in a different way.

Thanks for clarifying. Hopefully the Monterey update I did will fix it for the short term, and I look forward to the release of the updated drivers.

My fist UAD plugin update since moving up to Monterey from Big Sur appears to have gone well. Hopefully these issues were more Big Sur related as speculated above.