1 (edited by Manuel 2022-08-10 22:58:28)

Topic: Bug? Output channel meters look different when EQ active

Output channel meters look different if I enable EQ or Dynamics.

Using TotalMix FX v1.76 on Windows 11.

When EQ is active, the gap between the left and right meters is darker, and the lower half of the faint orange rectangle at the top of the meter disappears. This only happens with output channels. Toggling the EQ on input channels doesn't have any effect on the appearance of the meters, so I think it might be a bug:

https://i.vgy.me/nR7FmQ.gif

Fireface UCX II, BabyFace Pro, Fireface UFX, Fireface 400

2 (edited by sbcrikey 2022-08-10 23:03:06)

Re: Bug? Output channel meters look different when EQ active

Interesting. I'll check with my BBF Pro FS and UCXII tonight when I get home. And I suppose it happens when you enable EQ or Dynamics on any channel? As thorough as Matthias and RME are, I wouldn't put it past them if there's a purpose behind the subtle change smile

-Steve

also...I applaud your ability to embed a GIF(?) directly in a post! I haven't even figured out to do that with regular screenshots sad

3 (edited by Manuel 2022-08-10 23:55:30)

sbcrikey wrote:

Interesting. I'll check with my BBF Pro FS and UCXII tonight when I get home. And I suppose it happens when you enable EQ or Dynamics on any channel? As thorough as Matthias and RME are, I wouldn't put it past them if there's a purpose behind the subtle change smile

Strangely enough, it only happens on output channels. I have tested on input channels and couldn't reproduce it. Playback channels are not affected because they don't have either EQ or Dynamics sections.

sbcrikey wrote:

also...I applaud your ability to embed a GIF(?) directly in a post! I haven't even figured out to do that with regular screenshots sad

For making GIFs I use Cockos LICEcap. It's light, free and available for both Mac and Windows.

Since the RME forum doesn't allow attachments, you need third-party hosting. I use vgy.me. You just drag an image file or a gif onto the web page and it gets uploaded, then it shows you a series of links you can copy and share. It's free and you don't even need to sign up, although it's better to sign up or otherwise you won't be able to manage your uploads. It also allows you to sort your uploads into albums.

Well, it's not a bug, and it is intentional. And not primarily steered by EQ or Dyn on/off, but by activating the global Post FX meter option or not. And it is the same on the inputs.

Post FX uses a different scaling above 0 dB, so this is indeed a different bitmap.

Regards
Matthias Carstens
RME

MC wrote:

Well, it's not a bug, and it is intentional. And not primarily steered by EQ or Dyn on/off, but by activating the global Post FX meter option or not. And it is the same on the inputs.

Post FX uses a different scaling above 0 dB, so this is indeed a different bitmap.

Cool, I hadn't noticed that. However, I think you are only referring to the faint red bit at the top of the meter. If you look closely (you can see it in my GIF above), the meter LED bars have a very subtle glow/blur around them when Post FX is enabled. When Post FX is off, the glow disappears and the bars look more defined. I think this is not intentional because the difference is too subtle for most people to notice, and yet there the bars look ever so slightly different. Can you see what I mean?

I saw what you mean and already explained it - it is a different bitmap.

Regards
Matthias Carstens
RME