Topic: Fireface 400 as a stand-alone unit

Hello, I have a question on Fireface 400. I’m considering buying it and use as an stan-alone unit, mainly as an BF Pro FS ADAT extension, but ideally also as a stand-alone mixer.

1) Regardless to use as an BF ADAT extension. Do I understand correctly that from the hardware level there is no option to turn on/off phantom power, choose sample rate an clock mode? Do I have set this 3 parameters in Totalmix and save this state?

2) Regardless to use as a stand-alone mixer. I don’t get how can I route signal paths. Rotary encoder has 2 modes: channel and level. But to fully route signal we need – like in Babyface – 3 parameters: input channel, output channel and level. So is it possible to freely route signals in stan-alone mode?

Re: Fireface 400 as a stand-alone unit

You have to install Firewire drivers and to connect the FF400 to FireWire to be able to fully operate it. Some settings seem to be possible at the device, details see manual chapter 20.

BR Ramses - UFX III, 12Mic, XTC, ADI-2 Pro FS R BE, RayDAT, X10SRi-F, E5-1680v4, Win10Pro22H2, Cub13

3 (edited by Del_Gesu 2022-09-06 11:44:47)

Thank you. I’ve read the manual, but still it is unclear to me how routing from front panel is possible. If it follows Totalmix logic (submixes), it need to have 3 parameters to setup, but it seems, that it could only change levels, but not freely route signal. Or I misunderstood something.
In the chapter 20.6 (which describes stand-alone mode) there is written „Simply said: Fireface 400 is perfect analog/digital routing matrix”. So I assume that somehow routing can be done from front panel.

Regardless to use as an BF ADAT extention, if it is not possible to control preamp phantom power in stand-alone mode, indeed FF400 is not usefull as a stand-alone converter.

There is no way to route signal from the front panel. Some control is possible via MIDI (see manual).

Regards
Daniel Fuchs
RME