Topic: Audio interfaces affect the latencies?

first, sorry for my poor english.

I 've known that audio interfaces affect the latencies. And many people say that Rme has a lower latency than others.

I'm a bit confused about the knowledge though

because the latency is buffersize/samplerate.

Then what does the sentence 'Audio interface affects the latency' mean?

affects the other procedure in roundtrip latencies?

Thx

2 (edited by ramses 2022-11-10 18:16:13)

Re: Audio interfaces affect the latencies?

Hi,
welcome to the RME user forum.

Depends also on
- how well drivers are written
- for USB, e.g. which transfer mode is being used
- RME does communication with PC through their own FPGA, not using 3rd party USB/FW/TB chips
- how quick the A/D and D/A converters are

Here RTL (round trip time (A/D, transmission to PC, back, D/A) of different RME interfaces from my blog article about UFX+
https://www.tonstudio-forum.de/attachme … es-v2-jpg/

BR Ramses - UFX III, 12Mic, XTC, ADI-2 Pro FS R BE, RayDAT, X10SRi-F, E5-1680v4, Win10Pro22H2, Cub13

Thx then can I guess that

1. basically buffersizes/samperate decides the latencies

2. and depending on the audio interfaces, it can cause some more latencies (but in this case Rme will have the lower latencies than others)

and both of the 1,2 are included in the roundtrip latency?

4 (edited by vinark 2022-11-10 19:48:28)

1 no
2 yes, then most.
Roundtrip latency can only be measured to be sure and know what is really happening.

And honesty! Many companies give semi false buffer sizes. Yes seen from the daw the buffer is for example 256 samples. But in reality it uses double or triple buffers or a very large safety extra buffer. (RME uses a small safety buffer too, but it is very small, if I remeber correctly 32 samples and reported to the daw by the driver)
And even if true buffer size is given, what use it it to have for example a 64 buffer when it gives only crackles and you have to use 512. Plus cpu usage can also be higher then RME. If only things were simple...Of course there are other good companies but also mediocre and really bad. Also it can vary from device to device from the same vendor.
But in the years I use computer audio, nothing has performed better for me then RME (I am on windows)

BTW this is not just my opinion, but investigated by Tafkat  the maker of DAWbench, that is still used today, if the dawbench forum and papers are still available it is a very good read if you are interested.

Vincent, Amsterdam
https://soundcloud.com/thesecretworld
BFpro fs, 2X HDSP9652 ADI-8AE, 2X HDSP9632

5 (edited by ramses 2022-12-27 21:38:30)

> 1. basically buffersizes/samperate decides the latencies

No, there are other audio interfaces with MUCH higher latencies at the same buffersize and latency.
Because drivers do not perform so well, etc..

> 2. and depending on the audio interfaces, it can cause some more latencies
> (but in this case Rme will have the lower latencies than others)

I didn't say that no other vendors cannot reach similar performance like RME.
But RTL is only one aspect of a recording interface.

RME has very performant and stable drivers and puts together the best overall package. Besides the driver, there are yes other things:
- Quality of the hardware
- excellent designed and matured mixer software TotalMix FX. One mixer for all RME products, high product maturity
- FPGA based design, upgradeable
- extremely long driver support, for some products >20 years
- very detailed written manuals of excellent quality
- excellent product features (DURec, Autoset, Remote control (Auxdevice Support, MIDI over MADI, MIDI Remote [AVB])
- well-thought-out selection of I/O ports
- very well add-on products free of charge (DIGIcheck, TotalMix Remote, etc)

BR Ramses - UFX III, 12Mic, XTC, ADI-2 Pro FS R BE, RayDAT, X10SRi-F, E5-1680v4, Win10Pro22H2, Cub13

6 (edited by bighyunwoo 2022-11-10 22:00:00)

Tribute to your opinions
I really appreciate it.

And let me tell about my cases that I'm suffering

I had a problem for using my desktop as a music production.

I do many things by myself from instruments to mixing.
And the biggest thing is that I need decent environment to play the live session (I'm streaming my music live on twitch)
So I need as low latency as I can. But I always hear some click/pop noises during the live. (mostly set on 128~256 samples)
but I think my PC is sufficient for playing performances. (Ryzen 2600x / 32G RAM / some SSDs)

So I did a test yesterday, and I can catch that the noise are even caught in the empty project(using 1 mic, 256samples)
Got frustrated, and kept trying to find the reason.

And today I shifted the usb port of PC connected with audio interface, and it's optimized! (but also has some probs on 64samples, maybe 64samples is pretty intensive to my CPU)

but I'm still wondering that I can't play the live performances on 64samples with my PC.
If I can what should I check for?

----i'm using ufx+----

7 (edited by ramses 2022-11-10 21:52:25)

What audio interface do you have / talk about?
You could check for DPC Latencies.
See other performance related threads:

https://forum.rme-audio.de/viewtopic.ph … 78#p191878
points to: https://forum.rme-audio.de/viewtopic.ph … 04#p186404

oopps i missed it

I'm using ufx+