Topic: Multiface to UCX

Super excited as I just purchased a Fireface UCX to replace my seriously old Multiface.  I bought the UCX specifically for the analog IO on the back, Firewire to/from computer/DAW, and SPDIF from my AXE-FX while being in a similar size as the Multiface.  Basically just replacing the connections I have on my Multiface with the UCX so the Multiface can move to being my spare/backup.

I've got my routing established in TotalMix and the Workspace with my setup saved as a .tmws file

Hoping to not rebuild the routing since I have it setup to loop out to from software to Sonarworks SoundID SystemWide and then back in for playback on monitors or phones.

Can I at least start with loading my good TotalMix .tmws file and then adjust specific port numbers ?

Do I need to reinstall the RME drivers or will they find the new device automatically when connected ?

Any other migration tips ?

Re: Multiface to UCX

Delete all routings entirely, implement only the required ones, then you will also like matrix view.

BR Ramses - UFX III, 12Mic, XTC, ADI-2 Pro FS R BE, RayDAT, X10SRi-F, E5-1680v4, Win10Pro22H2, Cub13

So @ramses... basically start over when I connect the UCX and then save a new UCX-specific Workspace ?

Never used Matrix view before... maybe I will try it to see how my current routing looks!

4 (edited by ramses 2022-11-11 17:48:01)

Workspace files are incompatible, if you need to start over anyway my suggestion was to clean all routing in matrix view 1st and then to implement the required stuff in submix view.
Then matrix view is of much better use when seeing only required routes.
Also, I would concentrate on creating one snapshot 1st as a basement and then to clone from it for slightly different demands.

See also my posting here: https://forum.rme-audio.de/viewtopic.php?id=36072

BR Ramses - UFX III, 12Mic, XTC, ADI-2 Pro FS R BE, RayDAT, X10SRi-F, E5-1680v4, Win10Pro22H2, Cub13

Thanks for the advice.  Should be simple enough to recreate the routing once I have the UCX.  I'll be sure and copy it all down before changing devices.

Very interesting setup you describe in your post with external HW FX and Cubase.  Nicely done.  I'm nowhere near as complex, just brining my AFE-FX in on SPDIF and routing to various Analog Output pairs to push into my monitors and also into my Phones.

6 (edited by RustyFalcon 2022-11-15 02:37:18)

Received my device today....  Followed the manual to install the USB driver first and the device is recognized on USB.  I also installed the RME UCX Firewire driver.

My Multiface is installed Firewire, and I want to replace it with the UCX.

--- ETA ---

Have to be smarter than the equipment.  The Multiface uses an HDSP card installed in the computer.  I had to install a FireWire card to interact with the UCX - the HDSP card would not do so.

Working great now!

Congrats, nice to hear :-)

Yes thank you for your thoughts Ramses!