51 (edited by KaiS 2022-11-20 18:33:14)

Re: ADI 2 vs Analog

stanzanim wrote:

.. OTOH all the modern vinyl pressings are derived from digitally remastered source, so ...

...But there are loads of old vinyl discs out there that origin from before the digital era.

Everything after ca. 1982 is suspect to been run through digital *.
The only mark to securely know vinyls are pure analog.

* Even the preview delay for the Neumann disc cutting lathe could have been a digital unit instead of a tape loop from there on.
https://www.psaudio.com/copper/article/ … art-three/

AAA analog vinyl is the only source for a true analog vs. digital comparison, for an average music listener.

Finally, the special sound of analog vinyl is mainly determined by the multitude of specific properties that origin from being an electro-mechanical system.
Furthermore each disc player and pickup/stylus sounds different too.

The source or signal path, be it digital or analog, largely steps behind these predominant influences.

Hi All
In relation to this discussion, I am asking if it would be possible to add a dynamics compressor to the ADI-2. It would also be a good option to connect a dynamics compressor to the loudness function so that it increases as the volume decreases.

I normally use VST plugin jointly with my DAW (currently JRiver but this does not matter). You can find many, often free of charge
for loudness you can compose your preferred correction saving the eq settings in rme flash

regards

DAW: W10 mini PC (i5)
Server: JRiver 30+Dirac+Acon Declick
DAC: RME ADI2 PRO Speakers ATC SCM50ASL

54 (edited by KaiS 2022-11-20 18:58:04)

AdamS3V wrote:

...if it would be possible to add a dynamics compressor to the ADI-2. It would also be a good option to connect a dynamics compressor to the loudness function so that it increases as the volume decreases.

Not really in relation to this discussion.

Building an in-destructive, good sounding Dynamics Processor / Compressor / Leveler, or whatever you call it isn’t an easy task.
How good it may be, there are always side effects.

I once built an algorithm that’s close to inaudible even with large gain changes.
I sold it several times, non-exclusive.
If RME is interested... smile

Implementation may even hit a DSP resource limit, as ADI-2 is said to be almost maxed out in this realm.