Topic: RME Fireface UCX II or Total Mix issue

I’m a singer songwriter guitarist. I’m not doing anything difficult that I can tell.

This has all been working well until the weekend and I switch my Macbook Pro on and now I have the issue below. Its driving me mad.

RME Fireface UCX ii is upto date with firmware and software. I’m running Apple 11.7 OS

I bought a new electric guitar and plugged it into the front port 3 on the RME Fireface UCX ii. I went to Hardware outputs AN3/4 and turned it into a mono port, but have set this as stereo  as well. Doesn’t make a difference 
Went to Software play back and raised the volume of AN 3 and went to hardware in puts and raised the volume on AN3. The meter on Hardware Input is showing a feed from the guitar, and Hardware output is showing a feed coming from the guitar in Total mix. But I am not seeing anything in software playback. Its dead.

When I’m in Logic X I have set the audio channel to Input 3 and can see the meter move there as well. But when I bring up my Positive Grid BIAS AMP, or Positive FX plug in or any guitar plugin (including TUNER) its all dead. Its like they are not receiving a feed.

Main is set to None

And Phone 1 is set to Phones.

Electric Guitar into RME Fireface UCX ii port 3
Total FX Hardware Output AN3 set as mono. Volume up
Total FX Software Playback Volume up (nothing appearing on the meter)
Total FX Hardware Input AM3 set as mono volume up.

Any help would be very much appreciated,.  Not sure where I am going wrong with this set up now

2 (edited by vinark 2022-12-06 15:45:40)

Re: RME Fireface UCX II or Total Mix issue

If I understand you correctly, your ampsim needs to get input from analog 3. That is not done in totalmix but in the ampsim or if used as a plugin in logic. The amsim will then output on whatever you have it or logic set to use as an output. In logic you will have to route analog 3 to the ampsim as a plugin.
So totalmix has nothing to do with it. Only if you want to hear the clean guitar sound, you could route analog 3 to your speaker and or headphones output with totalmix

Vincent, Amsterdam
https://soundcloud.com/thesecretworld
BFpro fs, 2X HDSP9652 ADI-8AE, 2X HDSP9632

What Vinark wrote, and also: turn down AN3 for the output or you will get dry signal mixed with your ampsim.

Babyface Pro FS, MSI GS66, Studio One

Hi Vinark

On the stand alone version you can set routing in the Ampsim. But in the plugin version there is no routing. Its all dont within Logic X.

It also doesnt explain how a simple guitar tuner plugin within Logic does not receive a signal. There is not routing in this little app/plugin it just works.

ebmmbongo wrote:

What Vinark wrote, and also: turn down AN3 for the output or you will get dry signal mixed with your ampsim.

I would turn it down but I'm not getting any signal other than a dry signal. There is no processing going on this at the moment.

robertraekeenan wrote:

Main is set to None

I guess you mean in Logic? Set main to the output of your monitors or headphones:)

I dont know anything about Logic, but I would think that you´d need to set the inputs too.

Just to confirm from Positive Grid that the BIAS FX 2 plugins will follow the settings of DAWs. There is no settings within the plugin

ebmmbongo wrote:

I dont know anything about Logic, but I would think that you´d need to set the inputs too.

Me too, i9n cubase you need to add all inputs you want to use and route them to the track you have the ampsim on.

Vincent, Amsterdam
https://soundcloud.com/thesecretworld
BFpro fs, 2X HDSP9652 ADI-8AE, 2X HDSP9632

ebmmbongo wrote:

Hi

Thanks for the reply,

I've changed the input in Logic x to input 3. So yes you do need to change it in logic as well.  I can record a dry sounding guitar, just not with effects

robertraekeenan wrote:
ebmmbongo wrote:

Hi

Thanks for the reply,

I've changed the input in Logic x to input 3. So yes you do need to change it in logic as well.  I can record a dry sounding guitar, just not with effects

As I said I dont know logic, but in other DAWs you would then create a mono track and put BiasFX plugin on that channel, and monitor the signal.

This has nothing to do with your soundcard, so maybe better to look at support form the Logic community?

12 (edited by waedi 2022-12-06 18:25:17)

robertraekeenan wrote:

I can record a dry sounding guitar, just not with effects

And that isn't what you want ?
Usually it is the best to do.
Record the musician and the instrument as clean and pure as possible.
Then in the mixing process the effects and all the plugins comes into the salad.

ebmmbongo wrote:

As I said I dont know logic, but in other DAWs you would then create a mono track and put BiasFX plugin on that channel, and monitor the signal.

Exactly ! Logic does it the same way as any DAW.

M1-Sequoia, Madiface Pro, Digiface USB, Babyface silver and blue

waedi wrote:
robertraekeenan wrote:

I can record a dry sounding guitar, just not with effects

And that isn't what you want ?
Usually it is the best to do.
Record the musician and the instrument as clean and pure as possible.
Then in the mixing process the effects and all the plugins comes into the salad.

ebmmbongo wrote:

Exactly ! Logic does it the same way as any DAW.

That's like asking a rock guitarist to play with a clean sounding guitar with no effects on it.

This plugin was working. The thing that gets me is I just dont see anything at all in Software output. The channel in total mix is flat.

14 (edited by ebmmbongo 2022-12-07 11:27:27)

robertraekeenan wrote:

That's like asking a rock guitarist to play with a clean sounding guitar with no effects on it.

This plugin was working. The thing that gets me is I just dont see anything at all in Software output. The channel in total mix is flat.

To see something on the software output you must send something there, that is what we are trying to tell you. So either you have an ampsim standalone, where you can choose output, or you use it in the daw and then you need to setup the outputs in your DAW correctly.
Nothing to do with RME or TotalMix, its just a matter of setting your daw up correctly.

Watch this: https://youtu.be/-NihOb-nTko?t=115

And then, for more on TM, there is a whole series of Youtube videos here: https://youtu.be/ZkxzYlBiScA

God luck!

ebmmbongo wrote:
robertraekeenan wrote:

To see something on the software output you must send something there, that is what we are trying to tell you. So either you have an ampsim standalone, where you can choose output, or you use it in the daw and then you need to setup the outputs in your DAW correctly.
Nothing to do with RME or TotalMix, its just a matter of setting your daw up correctly.

Watch this: https://youtu.be/-NihOb-nTko?t=115

And then, for more on TM, there is a whole series of Youtube videos here: https://youtu.be/ZkxzYlBiScA

God luck!

Thank you so much for your help. I have seen these video previously. And tried the routing to the software via my Daw. That didnt help.

This morning I found an article ( https://support.apple.com/en-gb/HT20026 … tall%20it.    )and about Logic x and Deleted the Logic Pro PLIST file. I have just tried the above and can now hear the software plugin within the DAW. The software playback meter is now displaying volume from the DAW which is wasnt before.

Thank you for your help and speedy response.

16 (edited by ramses 2022-12-13 07:16:41)

Please open a new thread.
This is a different issue, even on a different OS.
Adding information about your setup (OS, driver, firmware version) would be useful.
Also more details. Was the problem from the beginning or when did it start?
Do you have a clean OS installation on your system or was it preinstalled or upgraded?
Please answer my questions in a new thread, later I will delete my posting here, you should do as well. Thanks.

BR Ramses - UFX III, 12Mic, XTC, ADI-2 Pro FS R BE, RayDAT, X10SRi-F, E5-1680v4, Win10Pro22H2, Cub13