1 (edited by ciscokidmilo 2022-12-26 21:35:14)

Topic: Expanding Babyface Pro FS analog outputs via optical/ADAT

I recently acquired a Babyface Pro FS to use as the main interface of my Home studio. What I am attempting (and failing) to do is route audio from Ableton to outboard gear using the External Audio Effect insert device. To expand the ins and outs I have a Tascam Celesonic 20x20 which has 8 analog ins and outs, as well as optical in and out.

I have toslink cables going from Babyface optical out to Tascam optical in, and vice versa, operating in 44.1 with Babyface as master clock. Xlr cables from babyface to monitors. Tascam set to "mic pre" mode, which I figure is the desired setting.

The inputs from the Tascam are working fine, I have a few synths and a sampler hooked up and audio comes through crystal clear no problem. However when I try to send audio to the outputs of the tascam and into my outboard gear (fx box, distortion unit, compressor etc) I get no signal coming into the units.

Maybe I'm misunderstanding the capabilities of the Tascam or ADAT and cannot use it for this purpose? I've looked through other threads and it seems like people are able to do this with units like the Behringer ADA 8200. Ive made sure I have all of the faders up in Totalmix for all of the adat output and software playback channels. Can anyone help me with this?

2 (edited by ramses 2022-12-26 22:06:04)

Re: Expanding Babyface Pro FS analog outputs via optical/ADAT

Hi Cisco, welcome to RME user forum.

You need to understand the basic concept of TM FX operation. You can find valuable information in this sticky.
https://forum.rme-audio.de/viewtopic.php?id=34394

Signals connected to HW inputs (analog and digital) will always be passed unmodified to the applications.
Signals from the application will appear in the middle row as SW playback channels.
Here, TM FX acts no like a patch bay.
Each HW output has an individual submix. Click to an HW output and move the fader of HW inputs / SW playbacks to create the submix that you require. That's more or less the most important information.

The sticky also contains a brief overview of basic operation and valuable information.
I would watch the short RME YouTube videos first to get an overview and then carry on reading the information.

BR Ramses - UFX III, 12Mic, XTC, ADI-2 Pro FS R BE, RayDAT, X10SRi-F, E5-1680v4, Win10Pro22H2, Cub13

Did you already have the tascam as it is an audio interface so it would be the wrong thing to buy. A quick look at the manual doesn’t really tell you if all the outs will work in how you are using it although you would think they would.

Look at what Ramses had told you to see if this helps.

Babyface Pro Fs, Behringer ADA8200, win 10/11 PCs, Cubase/Wavelab, Adam A7X monitors.

From what the Tascam manual says, your assumption about Mic Pre mode seems to be incorrect. Read the section on “operation modes”.

Which bit do you mean as I don’t see anything that says the outputs won’t work. The matrix on the 2nd page of this section shows the outputs. But I don’t think mic pre is what is expected and I do agree that the interface may not support this. The manual doesn’t specifically say it doesn’t work but I suspect it doesn’t. What I do know is the ada8200 definitely does work as I have one.

Babyface Pro Fs, Behringer ADA8200, win 10/11 PCs, Cubase/Wavelab, Adam A7X monitors.

ramses wrote:

Hi Cisco, welcome to RME user forum.

You need to understand the basic concept of TM FX operation. You can find valuable information in this sticky.
https://forum.rme-audio.de/viewtopic.php?id=34394

Signals connected to HW inputs (analog and digital) will always be passed unmodified to the applications.
Signals from the application will appear in the middle row as SW playback channels.
Here, TM FX acts no like a patch bay.
Each HW output has an individual submix. Click to an HW output and move the fader of HW inputs / SW playbacks to create the submix that you require. That's more or less the most important information.

The sticky also contains a brief overview of basic operation and valuable information.
I would watch the short RME YouTube videos first to get an overview and then carry on reading the information.

Hi Ramses, thanks for the reply. I have all of the software faders up on the outputs, with each output double checked, still not getting signal into outboard unit.

7 (edited by ciscokidmilo 2022-12-27 00:47:06)

mrkahuna wrote:

From what the Tascam manual says, your assumption about Mic Pre mode seems to be incorrect. Read the section on “operation modes”.

Thanks for the reply. I’ve read the section, I still can’t find anything about routing ADAT signal to the analog outputs, I may just have to mess around with the mixer mode for a while, at the moment I can only seem to get loud feedback noises. It’s starting to seem like the Tascam outputs may only be able to send out signal directly from its own analog inputs.

mkok wrote:

Which bit do you mean as I don’t see anything that says the outputs won’t work. The matrix on the 2nd page of this section shows the outputs. But I don’t think mic pre is what is expected and I do agree that the interface may not support this. The manual doesn’t specifically say it doesn’t work but I suspect it doesn’t. What I do know is the ada8200 definitely does work as I have one.

Thank you! You use the Behringer for outboard gear? If so I may just have to buy an ada8200 and try it, and if it works just sell my Tascam. All I really need it for are the line ins and outs, don’t need quality mic preamps.

Pretty sure you want to follow the instructions for "using the unit as an audio interface".  Set the output jacks to Computer 1-8 (or whatever number you're using in your DAW/RME Totalmix.)  Those should line up with the ADAT out from the Babyface as seen in Totalmix.

mrkahuna wrote:

Pretty sure you want to follow the instructions for "using the unit as an audio interface".  Set the output jacks to Computer 1-8 (or whatever number you're using in your DAW/RME Totalmix.)  Those should line up with the ADAT out from the Babyface as seen in Totalmix.

In audio interface mode I can’t get any audio at all in or out from the Tascam over adat. It’s looking like the outputs are only direct outs for the preamps/inputs except for 1/2 which can work for DAC output for monitors. I’ve ordered a Presonus Digimax FS for a pretty bangin price hopefully that works out better.