Topic: Analog Summing with RME ufx

Hello guys,

Simple, i want to to some summing with some external hardware (neve dpa 1073 dpa and two empirical labs el8x)

I don't understand how to route everything within total mix.

I am on logic X, I got a bus where i want to put the I/O plugin *with the external summing for some coloration and slight compression, than from there i am going to the master bus.

Could somebody help me out with the routing.

Thanks!

Adrian

2 (edited by ramses 2022-12-29 12:42:39)

Re: Analog Summing with RME ufx

Hi Adrian,

pls. look at this, from routing perspective from DAW to the summing device it is similar.
https://forum.rme-audio.de/viewtopic.php?id=36072

You send something from DAW to an output.
This audio from PC is being shown in the middle row (sw playbacks).
You can organize your project in a way that you send e.g. 3 subgroups to different outputs.
Then you will see audio of the different subgroups in TM FX as SW playback channels in the middle row.

Your summing device might have e.g. 6 channels (3 stereo channels) and is connected to the UFX like this:
- AN 3/4 OUT: connected to the input 1/2 on your summing device.
- AN 5/6 OUT: connected to the input 3/4 on your summing device.
- AN 7/8 OUT: connected to the input 5/6 on your summing device.

You might know already that TM FX has individual submixes per HW output.

All you need to do in terms of routing audio from SW playbacks to the real HW outputs is to
select a HW output in the bottom row and to raise the fader of the wanted SW playback of the middle row.
You will see then audio signal in the metering of the HW output.

BR Ramses - UFX III, 12Mic, XTC, ADI-2 Pro FS R BE, RayDAT, X10SRi-F, E5-1680v4, Win10Pro22H2, Cub13

3 (edited by oli77sch 2022-12-29 21:29:38)

Hey Adrian

To me, analog summing would be to route single tracks from Logic to their own dedicated analog outputs and from there to a summing mixer which creates a stereo mix out of the single signals the analog way.
But as far I understand it, the signal summing you do within Logic, right? Then adding some analog processing to the mix?
Anyway, the output you choose in the I/O plugin is equivalent to the channel in the 'software playback' row in TotalMix - NOT 'hardware output'. To have the signal on the physical analog outputs, you have to click on the corresponding fader in bottom row - 'hardware outputs' - then open the 'software playback' fader (and also it's important to close all other faders because otherwise you could accidentally have unwanted signals from hardware inputs or software playbacks on this output channels).
Side note: That would say, you could theoretically choose outputs (for ex) 5-6 in Logic/plugin but route this to physical outputs (for ex) 7-8 within Totalmix. For the Mac / Logic DAW software it would still be outputs 5-6 because the 'detour' is made within the audio interface. Of course you would have to plug the cables in outputs 7-8 on the interface then.
You know, the app 'Totalmix' is to control what happens within the interface's DSP. So what you see in the Totalmix window, doesn't happen inside the computer but inside the interface.

In the I/O plugin you then choose the inputs where the analog units are connected on the UFX+ physical inputs. So the signal comes back to the software mixer within Logic.

First time I used exactly this feature, my head was really smoking...

Have fun!

UCX - FF 400 - Babyface pro - Digiface USB - ADI-2 (original)
Mac mini M1 - Macbook pro - iPad Air2

thank you guys! happy new year!