Topic: Remote died for ADI-2 DAC

I've had the unit for a few months and was constantly having issues with it! It is the worst remote I have by far. I went to change the battery figuring it was that but nothing. It was extremely difficult to open and my fingers are worn! I am frustrated because the dealer that I bought from says it's not under warranty so now I'm stuck with a dud! I'm not interested in paying 80$ for a new one!
Has anyone else had similar issues??? For 1900$ Canadian....I'm not happy because I also use as a preamp. Why is this not under warranty??? It practically takes a mechanic to change the battery however like I said, I've had problems since day 1 with it.
Any advice would help please!

2 (edited by mediummanting 2023-01-02 23:14:15)

Re: Remote died for ADI-2 DAC

Before buying a new remote, take your existing one apart and bend the battery contacts a little bit so they make firmer contact with the battery. If you get stuck I can write a better explanation but it's a pretty basic design that comes apart and gets back together easily.

The poor quality of the remote isn't representative of the rest of the unit.

Thank you. I did that but it does not work.
I did take apart as I had no choice. It seems there is no contact you are tight but I spent 2 hours doing all sorts of things but the battery compartment is very weird and difficult. Doesn't line up properly

The unit itself is fantastic but the remote is mediocre to say the least. I love the DAC more than any other I've ever had.

5 (edited by KaiS 2023-01-03 00:12:19)

Does the remote’s LED light green?
Else, orange, red or blue, read manual page 18 for how to set it.

And of course it’s covered by your country’s usual warranty.

It works when I take apart and put the battery on the the board where the contacts are but when I put back together there is nothing. There is obviously a problem with the battery touching the contacts but I've tried everything and nothing works.

Ok...I managed to fix it!! I took your advice and cleaned the contact and then slightly bent them enough to make it touch properly.
Thank you everyone but to be honest, the remote does NOT reflect the rest of the unit adequately. Hopefully this will be slightly upgraded to have a better contact.
Cheers

Glad you sorted it!!

Yeah I have a hard head. Spent the majority of the afternoon changing a battery haha!!

Just find it strange that it's not under warranty nonetheless! I believe it's 2 years in North America but the remote is not!!?? Hmmmmm!

mmacphee2 wrote:

Just find it strange that it's not under warranty nonetheless! I believe it's 2 years in North America but the remote is not!!?? Hmmmmm!

Why shouldn’t it?
This is something with your dealer trying to cop out of responsibility.
Report to RME!

I will verify that. Thank you

13 (edited by MstrC-117 2023-01-03 18:50:17)

ADI´s remote is in my opinion too not so good.

It has audiophile nervosis -generating EQ, B/T, Loudness and Balance -buttons waiting for accidential presses (and can´t be disabled), its transmit power is mediocre at best, and its general key feel is somewhat crappy.
It uses some rare (NEC?) IR-protocol which some universal remotes may have difficulties to learn. At least my old universal had, it didn´t get ADI´s power command in any way.

Fortunately replacing universal remote to another model worked well, an now ADI is finally under good remote control. I ended up to this model, it learned ADI´s commands, even that power command, without problems 

https://www.amazon.de/-/en/One-Contour- … 1&th=1

Needless to say, I didn´t teach EQ, B/T, Loudness and Balance -buttons.. big_smile Transmit power and key feel is excellent, and ADI responds now in lightning manner.

With this improved remote, general "ADI-usage-experience -index" is now clearly better. Recommend same procedure for everybody having remote issues.

Absolutely terrible...what a crap!

You see, preferences vary  wink

Regards
Matthias Carstens
RME

15 (edited by audafreak 2023-01-05 08:44:23)

I also had some problems with IR after some months, already discussed here, bad contact on volume keys
I replaced it with some programmable universal remote and programmed it and now it is much better than original one. You can program much more functions for you DAC then original one, there is doc with functional codes https://www.rme-audio.de/downloads/adi2 … mmands.zip . You can switch even different setups and filters for immediate comparing.
And reliability is also better. I don't use original IR anymore.

See this list of programmable functions:

Remote keys
Power On
Power Off
Volume -
Volume +
COAX
OPT
USB
Mute

Additional Functions for Programmable Remotes
B/T
EQ
LD
VOL
B+
B-
T+
T-
BAL L
BAL R

Setup 1
Setup 2
Setup 3
Setup 4
Setup 5
Setup 6
Setup 7
Setup 8
Setup 9

Mono
Mono to L
Mute all
EQ+B/T+LD
Toggle Ph/Line
Polarity
AutoDark
Dim
Toggle View

Crossfeed 1
Crossfeed 2
Crossfeed 3
Crossfeed 4
Crossfeed 5
DAC SD Sharp
DAC SD Slow
DAC Sharp
DAC Slow
DAC NOS

ADI-2 DAC, Digiface USB, Fireface UCXII, ARC USB, Neumann MA1 aligned monitors

16 (edited by ramses 2023-01-04 09:53:45)

Knocking on wood. Can not tell anything negative regarding the RME MRC. Silently doing its job with no issues at all.

Was curious and looked at the remote from Amazon (see post #13). My first impression was that the remote is quite big and somehow cheap looking.

The battery holder can be pulled out more easily using a screwdriver. The best way to do this is to place the MRC on the desk, hold the lock open with a fingernail, and carefully slide out the battery holder with a screwdriver using the other hand.

BR Ramses - UFX III, 12Mic, XTC, ADI-2 Pro FS R BE, RayDAT, X10SRi-F, E5-1680v4, Win10Pro22H2, Cub13

17 (edited by KaiS 2023-01-04 09:59:35)

The Remote that is supplied with the ADI-2/4 Pro SE does feel sturdy, even has some weight.

Works nice so far.

MC wrote:

Absolutely terrible...what a crap!

You see, preferences vary  wink

Sorry, didn´t mean it´s actual crap. It gets its job done, but as my one year of use -opinion, it could be improved a little from here and there. smile

ramses wrote:

Was curious and looked at the remote from Amazon (see post #13). My first impression was that the remote is quite big and somehow cheap looking.

Maybe so, it´s typical "TV-remote" -sized, and looks cheap because it IS cheap.
Quite a bargain in my opinion though, I couldn´t believe how good remote controller one can get with 11 €. 8 devices, fully teachable universal remote, with good remote controller general-properties. Using ADI with this new remote is more enjoyable now.

Of course actual main reason to switch universal remote is ability to use multiple devices with the same remote, which I also happened to need.

MstrC-117 wrote:
ramses wrote:

Maybe so, it´s typical "TV-remote" -sized, and looks cheap because it IS cheap.
Quite a bargain in my opinion though, I couldn´t believe how good remote controller one can get with 11 €. 8 devices, fully teachable universal remote, with good remote controller general-properties. Using ADI with this new remote is more enjoyable now.

Of course actual main reason to switch universal remote is ability to use multiple devices with the same remote, which I also happened to need.

Agree, good chance to consolidate the number of remotes.

BR Ramses - UFX III, 12Mic, XTC, ADI-2 Pro FS R BE, RayDAT, X10SRi-F, E5-1680v4, Win10Pro22H2, Cub13

UPDATE!!
The dealer has sent out a new one for me and I return the original. The original person I talked to was in error about it not being under warranty. It works but still intermittent and it's annoying.
I would like to eventually get an aftermarket one but I would probably lose some functions. Unless someone knows otherwise.

audafreak wrote:

You can program much more functions for you DAC then original one, there is doc with functional codes http://rme-audio.de/downloads/adi2pro_ir_commands.zip .

This thread is about DAC, you have a DAC (according to your signature), so why you link to the Pro IR commands?

ADI-2 DAC: https://www.rme-audio.de/downloads/adi2 … mmands.zip

Regards
Matthias Carstens
RME

23 (edited by audafreak 2023-01-05 08:44:58)

MC wrote:
audafreak wrote:

You can program much more functions for you DAC then original one, there is doc with functional codes http://rme-audio.de/downloads/adi2pro_ir_commands.zip .

This thread is about DAC, you have a DAC (according to your signature), so why you link to the Pro IR commands?

ADI-2 DAC: https://www.rme-audio.de/downloads/adi2 … mmands.zip

I did not noticed that you have bad link on page https://rme-audio.com/adi-2-dac.html tab Downloads, part Additional downloads, IR commands.
Here you have link http://rme-audio.de/downloads/adi2pro_ir_commands.zip
The same link is on ADI2 Pro page.
So it should be corrected.

I have changed my original post.

ADI-2 DAC, Digiface USB, Fireface UCXII, ARC USB, Neumann MA1 aligned monitors

mmacphee2 wrote:

Has anyone else had similar issues??? For 1900$ Canadian....I'm not happy because I also use as a preamp. Why is this not under warranty??? It practically takes a mechanic to change the battery however like I said, I've had problems since day 1 with it.
Any advice would help please!

I have had the exact same experience - poor range, unresponsive, impossible to change battery without damage etc.
A tip: The manual says the battery is CR2025. But I'm almost certain that mine was supplied with CR2032, which is slightly thicker (and higher capacity) but otherwise identical. That would be the reason that I couldn't open the battery compartment without causing damage.

I am surprised that RME need to charge so much for the replacement of such a cheap RC.

25 (edited by Mark Dirac 2023-01-05 11:47:44)

MstrC-117 wrote:

Fortunately replacing universal remote to another model worked well, an now ADI is finally under good remote control. I ended up to this model, it learned ADI´s commands, even that power command, without problems 

https://www.amazon.de/-/en/One-Contour- … 1&th=1

Needless to say, I didn´t teach EQ, B/T, Loudness and Balance -buttons.. big_smile Transmit power and key feel is excellent, and ADI responds now in lightning manner.

With this improved remote, general "ADI-usage-experience -index" is now clearly better. Recommend same procedure for everybody having remote issues.

I too bought one of these for my ADI2-DAC FS and am really pleased with it. I bought the 4-device version for only £9 in the UK. Currently <£8 - remarkable value for money:

https://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/B077J5YXNH/ … 81_TE_item

It's functionally excellent - ability to learn, ease of use, range, simplicity of batteries. Buttons' tactility is good-enough.

I was fortunate-enough to buy a second-hand Logitech Harmony 300 so that I could get the full set of RME commands. I used the  Logitech to programme the One-For-All - we are fortunate that Logitech's programming software is still available and still works nowadays.

So, I've spent an extra £30 and gone to a load of trouble but now have a good solution to remote-control of my RME.

audafreak wrote:

I did not noticed that you have bad link on page https://rme-audio.com/adi-2-dac.html tab Downloads, part Additional downloads, IR commands.
Here you have link http://rme-audio.de/downloads/adi2pro_ir_commands.zip

Thanks, we'll fix this. The link in the manual is correct, though.

Regards
Matthias Carstens
RME

These remotes like a hard reset every so often. Take the battery out wait a minute, put it back in. If the battery measures 3 volts or above it should work fine.

A measured 3.0 V battery is regarded as empty and needs replacement. That is true for many things using those cells.

Regards
Matthias Carstens
RME

I have an ADI-2 DAC FS which is working great for 13 months - have even recommended it as an ideal DAC for a regular Hi-Fi setup. However, I cannot say the same about the Remote and the Support that I received. The Remote kept on flashing Green about a week back - and refused to activate any function on the unit. In fact the only function that worked (irrationally) is the Treble change on Line Out which was on active window. I checked in the various forums, and users say this is the death knell for the remote! I changed the battery, but no point.

Sent an email support request to RME - who just sent me their India Dealer's name - who I redirected the support request to - and of course they did not even bother to respond. VERY POOR QUALITY OF SUPPORT RESPONSE. I am not planning to buy another remote as its not very useful and the on-unit controls work very well. But RME is only diluting their brand by using the cheapest remote in the OEM market while promoting a premium engineering product!

s_indrajit wrote:

Sent an email support request to RME - who just sent me their India Dealer's name - who I redirected the support request to - and of course they did not even bother to respond.

First step - call the company. Your mail might not have reached them. If they then not act cooperative complain at RME support to let us know.

So far all you wrote is: I expected it all magically to solve itself. This way you won't get a new remote...

Regards
Matthias Carstens
RME

31 (edited by s_indrajit 2023-10-09 10:23:39)

Thanks for the suggestion - MC! I just called Ansata (India Disti). They acknowledged receiving my mail along with Invoice and complaint - and now they sent a response mail. They will look into it and confirm resolution, if any.

UPDATE 09OCT23: The support engineer from Ansata (India Disti) interacted with me over phone and email. His intents were honorable and he tried his best - but his repertoire was limited to asking me to RESET the DAC (did it twice) and Change battery (already done). The condition did not improve at all as the green LED keeps blinking and then dies, without any action on the DAC. Finally he informed that RME has responded that the equipment is out of warranty (as I had mentioned earlier, its 13 months old), and that the faulty Remote needs to be shipped back to RME HK for repair. The cost of postage is not worth it to ship from India to HK. Also, that I could buy a New Remote for INR 1900 (23 Euro). This was a no-brainer resolution and frankly the remote is not worth even that amount. So a waste of 1 month of useless communication. As MC had suggested, I am sending the above content to RME Support by email as well. My take remains as earlier - a very good piece of audiophile grade equipment being saddled with a cheap remote. So those who are shy of using the unit controls - and overly dependent on remotes - should think twice!!