Topic: New macOS RME HDSPe series driver – public beta test (1.07)

As done already with USB and Thunderbolt, RME now also releases a DriverKit driver for its HDSPe series of audio interfaces and cards for Monterey (macOS 12) and Ventura (macOS 13) and higher.

The new v1.0 drivers are based on Apple’s DriverKit framework. They run in user space, not as kernel extension. Therefore on M-processor based machines, the additional boot into Recovery mode and setting the Security Policy to reduced security is no longer required. Still Apple requires to ‘Allow’ the drivers in the Security & Privacy dialog.

Attention: This driver typically requires a firmware update for the hardware to be accepted by the macOS, so that the driver gets access to the hardware.

Attention 2: The firmware update can only be performed when the driver sees the RME hardware. Without the new firmware this will not be the case with this DK driver, so the firmware update needs to be performed before installing the DK driver, on a system with an older OS with the former kernel based drivers, or – if available – a Windows computer.

To make this whole process as easy and user friendly as possible RME provides new Mac and Windows firmware update tools (FUT) that work with newer and older OS versions/drivers, and allow to change the firmware version between Legacy (the former one) and DriverKit compatible (the new one).

https://www.archiv.rme-audio.de/images/dkfut_mac2.png . https://www.archiv.rme-audio.de/images/dkfut_win2.png

The current HDSPe series kernel driver does work with the new DriverKit compatible firmware, but the HDSPe MADI FX driver does not. An updated driver v1.32 is available which adds compatibility at least for macOS 11 (and comes with the latest TotalMix FX 1.79, see links below).

We also updated DigiCheck NG to version 0.891, adding compatibility to the new DriverKit drivers.

With this set of updates our users can - in most cases -  freely switch between Legacy and DriverKit firmware and maintain a working system. Although once updated there should be no need to go back to the Legacy firmware version.

The HDSPe AIO Pro is the only card/interface that does not require a new firmware, it will directly work with the DK driver.

Supported cards and interfaces
The whole PCI Express series of RME interfaces, back to the very first Multiface (but with HDSPe PCI card, or ExpressCard in PCIe adapter), rare units like the RPM – just everything.

The new driver now also includes the MADIface XT and HDSPe MADI FX, which formerly had their own PCIe driver.

Current driver version: 1.07. Included TotalMix FX: 1.79(2).

Driver system requirements: macOS 12 and up, Intel or M processor (Apple Silicon)

Installation: On macOS 12/13 with an installed kernel driver, make sure to perform the firmware update first!

Double-click on driver_mac_hdspdk_107.zip to expand the archive file to the driver file HDSPe DK.pkg. Installation works automatically by a double-click on the pkg (package) file. Before reboot check that in Security & Privacy, tab General, the RME driver is allowed to load. If not unlock the settings and allow it. Then reboot computer.

Note: A previously installed kernel extension driver, like 4.23, does not need to be uninstalled. It will be removed automatically.

To go back to the kernel based driver: easiest method is to move the HDSPe Settings app found in the folder Applications to the trash can - only use the Finder for this action. With DriverKit this settings dialog is 'the app', upon removal all driver files belonging to it will also be removed automatically. You will be asked for permission for the removal of the extensions.

Detailed list of supported cards and interfaces
HDSPe AIO
HDSPe AIO Pro
HDSPe AES
HDSPe RayDAT
HDSpe MADI
HDSPe MADI FX
MADIface XT (via PCIe)
HDSPe PCI with Multiface, Multiface II and Digiface
ExpressCard with Multiface, Multiface II and Digiface (requires TB enclosure and PCIe adapter)
HDSPe MADIface  (requires TB enclosure and PCIe adapter)

Download links

HDSPe series DK driver 1.07
https://www.rme-audio.de/downloads/driv … dk_107.zip

Firmware Update Tool (FUT) for HDSPe series

Mac: https://www.rme-audio.de/downloads/fut_mac_dspe.zip
Windows: https://www.rme-audio.de/downloads/fut_wdm_dspe.zip

Firmware Update Tool (FUT) for MADIface XT and HDSPe MADI FX

Mac: https://www.rme-audio.de/downloads/fut_hdspe_fx_mac.zip
Windows: https://www.rme-audio.de/downloads/fut_hdspe_fx_win.zip

DriverKit compatible HDSPe FX driver for macOS 11, v1.32
https://www.rme-audio.de/downloads/hdspe_fx_mac_132.zip

Bonus:
Kernel-based driver  for HDSPe series, v4.23, with latest TotalMix FX 1.79

https://www.rme-audio.de/downloads/driv … ac_423.zip

DigCheck NG for macOS, v0.891
https://www.rme-audio.de/downloads/digi … c_0891.zip

Regards
Matthias Carstens
RME

2 (edited by Purusha 2022-12-22 19:19:34)

Re: New macOS RME HDSPe series driver – public beta test (1.07)

Driverkit version on HDSPe (Multifaces) only showing 1 device for selection in Aggregate set-up. All 3 linked cards show up OK in the  RME apps.

Updated 422 kernel driver is OK - 3 cards can be aggregated, but still with the same bugs I've reported in various places.

This is a 2013 Cylinder MacPro, running MacOS 12.6.2. 3 HDSPe cards in a Sonnet external chassis.

Edit: On the plus side, I can aggregate the one device I can see, with other audio devices and it works in Cubase! So, if you can get the aggregation issue solved, I'm optimistic that Cubase will finally work!

Thanks for being the first one to try and report! We will continue to work on this after the holidays, promised!

Regards
Matthias Carstens
RME

4 (edited by Purusha 2022-12-30 12:03:02)

MC wrote:

Thanks for being the first one to try and report! We will continue to work on this after the holidays, promised!

Oops, sorry hit the report button rather than quote and reply! I blame my phone!

No worries! Have a good Holiday.

5 (edited by kol.ut.shan 2022-12-23 09:34:44)

Hi and thanks for the new driver smile

I also have one issue to report on macOS 13.1:

Hardware: MB Pro M1 / Madi FX in TB3 expansion case

after waking the MB from sleep there is no sound output anymore and have to reboot the machine or reconnect the TB3 connection to fix this. Sound still works on internal speakers though.

Thanks and have nice holidays!

News

The driver has been updated from version 1.0(3) to 1.0(4). Unfortunately the string in the Settings dialog is still fixed to 1.0, but in the properties of the Settings dialog the correct version number can be seen. Therefore I wrote 1.0(4) into the first post and there is a new download link which points to xxx104.zip.

Fix: Surprise Removal during record/playback caused a crash. This can happen because HDSPe cards are nowadays often used in TB expansion chassis - schwupps cable removed...

@Purusha: no Aggregate Devices fix in there yet. But we already have an idea how to fix that.

@kol.ut.shan: not sure version 1.04 improves that for you, but trying won't hurt.

Regards
Matthias Carstens
RME

7 (edited by kol.ut.shan 2022-12-23 12:19:11)

MC wrote:

News

The driver has been updated from version 1.0(3) to 1.0(4). Unfortunately the string in the Settings dialog is still fixed to 1.0, but in the properties of the Settings dialog the correct version number can be seen. Therefore I wrote 1.0(4) into the first post and there is a new download link which points to xxx104.zip.

Fix: Surprise Removal during record/playback caused a crash. This can happen because HDSPe cards are nowadays often used in TB expansion chassis - schwupps cable removed...

@Purusha: no Aggregate Devices fix in there yet. But we already have an idea how to fix that.

@kol.ut.shan: not sure version 1.04 improves that for you, but trying won't hurt.

Thanks for the quick reply and update. I just installed the 1.04 update but have a weird situation:

• right after the installation HDSPe settings starts but shows no device

• after a reboot (and allowing the driver) the Madi FX seems to be running as I have sound and see the device

• HDSPe settings crashes the moment it tries to run

• TotalMix works

• the firmware updater shows the new revision but it seems the card is stuck in legacy mode (I updated it twice and made sure to enable DriverKit comp. mode) pic: https://freeimage.host/i/HI3bns4

Not sure whats going on....

That pic is impossible and most probably caused by a screwed driver installation. Use Finder to drag the HDSPe Settings app to the trash can and install 1.04 a second time. I just did the normal update from 1.03 to 1.04 on my M2 MacBook with HDSPe MADI FX via TB chassis, the update worked immediately and without a glitch. So I dare to say the driver files are ok.

Regards
Matthias Carstens
RME

9 (edited by kol.ut.shan 2022-12-23 20:16:36)

I did just that but to no change. Right after the setup has completet the settings dialog appears but shows no device. After the reboot the settings app crashes. For some reason I have sound though.
I checked the Library/Extensions folder if the old driver has not been deleted but it is properly gone.
Can you point me in what folder the new "RMEHDSPeAsp.driver" is suppose to go? Maybe something went wrong here. I also check in how to refresh the whole driver cache, that might also do the trick and I'm quiet sure that this is some macOS issue...

Edit: according to "systemextensionsctl list" the driver is loaded and active. That explains why there is sound but not why the settings app has no mood in working today.

Edit 2: I also flashed the card on a Windows machine and there the correct revision and driverkit information was displayed.

Edit 3: After disabling and re-enabling SIP everything just works now. There must have been some issue with macOS using the driver properly. So if anyone has the same issue, do this to fix it but know, that it is very important to turn SIP back on!!!

Thanks for the update!

Regards
Matthias Carstens
RME

Hello, and Thank you for posting the Betas. I'd like to report the problem I'm having.

On my system, an M1 Mac Book Pro, I keep loosing audio. I now have the new1.04 Beta driver and Totalmix 1.79 installed on both Monterey and Ventura. My system has external drives that have bootable OS's on them.

For me, in HDSPe Settings I have word clock chosen because I have a master clock and several other digital devices in my system.

Anytime I make a sample rate change I loose audio, even though the Input status shows that I am in Sync with word clock and also in Sync on all there MADI connections. Something is making the HDSPe MADI FX card stop working. Even opening songs that are at the same sample rates are loosing audio connections to the driver.

For example I open a song in either Logic or Pro Tools Studio and then play audio and then close that song and open another the audio stops working.

All metering in Totalmix stops too. A telltale sign of it no longer working is the spinning beach ball in whichever app is trying to play audio.

If I experience a disconnect sometimes I can temporally resolve it by unplugging the Thunderbolt 3 cable that goes to the external TB chassis and then reconnecting it. Sometimes I can get the audio back. Shutting down my M1 MB Pro and turning it back on again will sometimes get the audio back but it soon disappears again.

Opening Logic Pro X or Pro Tools Studio or even playing YouTube videos in Safari is an issue. When it happens any audio system wide stops. I also see a dialog box in Logic that say something about Core Midi not working.

I've even tried using another audio interface to play any system wide audio and only use the HDSPe MADI FX inside of Logic or Pro Tools and I still have the disconnection  problem. Re-installing the driver Software has been tried too.

Best regards
BigPocketMusic

Hi there, as a long term user of RME products, I felt the need to register on this forum today, just to say a big thank you.
I have what by now in computer terms must be considered an ancient, HDSPe Madiface, which I have been using continuously since 2006!
At first the expresscard/34 plugged straight into the slot on my MacBook Pro, and since my next laptop upgrade it has been sat in a sonnet Thunderbolt to expresscard adapter, and has given me many years of reliable service, regularly running 48 channels of input and 48 channels of output without putting any additional strain on the Mac.
The drivers have always been rock solid, to the point where I forget the interface is even there, as it simply just works.
I’ve been through several Mac laptops over the intervening years and the madiface has continued to work flawlessly.
Every single other peripheral device I have had has at some point been discontinued and the driver development has stopped, but my trusty HDSPe Madiface has had continuous updates whenever I have needed them (usually due to a forced OS update, caused by a laptop upgrade).
I am just about to take the plunge and purchase an Apple Silicon Mac (m1 pro) and prior to doing so I thought I’d have a look and see if my 16 year old RME interface would still work.
When I did an internet search I found this thread, and immediately felt the need to post this rather longwinded thankyou to the team at RME.
You are absolutely amazing, absolutely no other company in our industry, supports discontinued legacy products, in the way that you do. It would have been very easy for you to say ‘we stopped manufacturing this unit years ago and so there will be no drivers for M1/M2/etc…’, and I would have had absolutely no right to complain, having more than had my money’s worth over the years.
But you have chosen to continue supporting your discontinued products, despite this costing you a significant amount of development time.
I can only thank you, and say that I am blown away by your commitment to your customers. I recommend your products to everyone, and I for one will never buy an audio interface from any other company.
Thank you, thank you, thank you!
And merry Xmas!

BigPocketMusic wrote:

On my system, an M1 Mac Book Pro, I keep loosing audio. I now have the new1.04 Beta driver and Totalmix 1.79 installed on both Monterey and Ventura. My system has external drives that have bootable OS's on them.

Anytime I make a sample rate change I loose audio, even though the Input status shows that I am in Sync with word clock and also in Sync on all there MADI connections. Something is making the HDSPe MADI FX card stop working. Even opening songs that are at the same sample rates are loosing audio connections to the driver.

I checked and could not reproduce any disconnect issues. You might want to try what I did to see if that also fails for you:

- use a simple music player, like Vox, and play music over MADI channel's 1/2. Loopback cabling MADI out to in.

- Open TotalMix FX, Settings dialog and start DigiCheck NG.

- Assign the MADI card inputs 1/2 to whatever meter you like. Make sure you have the default routing so that the music comes back on 1/2.

- Card is on internal clock. Change the sample rate in the Settings dialog. The whole system and all apps will follow. On change of sample rate within 1 second playback is clean again.

- Apply word clock and change to that Clock Source. Change between different word clock sample rates. System should behave as before, but now takes a bit longer to have clean sound again.

If any of these causes a disconnect then you will need to check your whole system, from the external TB interface up to the unusual booting from external drives.

Regards
Matthias Carstens
RME

14 (edited by Jperkins 2022-12-26 14:11:26)

As much as I love details and new software updates, this post hurts my head. Is this any different than what's on the official RME website?

Is there a short version of what to install and in which order for the AES PCIe and AIO Pro cards?

There cannot be a short version because of Apple shutting the doors in various ways. You have to follow the first post then you will be updated and even backwards compatible. As you have no MADI FX card it's a bit easier: Update the kernel based driver as in link above (4.22), then flash the firmware to DK, then try the new DK driver.

But when you use both cards in Aggregate mode you shouldn't update now, see above, post 6.

Regards
Matthias Carstens
RME

MC wrote:

There cannot be a short version because of Apple shutting the doors in various ways. You have to follow the first post then you will be updated and even backwards compatible. As you have no MADI FX card it's a bit easier: Update the kernel based driver as in link above (4.22), then flash the firmware to DK, then try the new DK driver.

But when you use both cards in Aggregate mode you shouldn't update now, see above, post 6.

Thanks. I will try this tomorrow.

I use all the cards independently and don’t use aggregate mode so I should be OK there.

17 (edited by cigame 2022-12-27 11:05:44)

Using MacBook Pro 16" M1, Mac OS 13.1, HDSPe MADI in AKITIO chassis connected with apple Thunderbolt adaptor, Micstasy via optic MADI, Logic 10.7.6 ,

I'm getting static sound
as soon as I change buffer rates in Logic to 64.
And latency is very high. 0.5 seconds.
Have to force quit logic to get back to useable buffer rates (128)
Also problem with MIDI not recognized by Audio Midi Configuration and therefor midi Remote with MIDI over MADI not working.

Same on MacBook Pro M1 13"

UFX+, FireFace 802 FS, Digiface USB
12 Mic, M1610 pro, Micstasy
MacBookPro M1
Logic Pro X

18 (edited by kol.ut.shan 2022-12-27 13:48:33)

An update from my end after using the new driver (v. 1.0(4)) for a couple of days:

- in general the driver is stable and I no longer have the issue of loosing sound after sleep
- when I play music by e.g. Spotify and open any other application, the sound gets interrupted for a second
- this can also happen by switiching to any already open application and sometimes even at random
- sometimes there are clicks and pops out of nowhere
- when Cubase is open and I start a video on Youtube the sound from Youtube is kind of distorted
- latency in Cubase looks good like with the old kernel based driver

the clock source is internal at 48000 Hz sample rate (this is set everywhere possible) and the Madi FX card also is in an Akitio TB3 case main out is AES into a Genelec 2.1 system

cigame wrote:

Also problem with MIDI not recognized by Audio Midi Configuration and therefor midi Remote with MIDI over MADI not working.

You tried a rescan? Are all 3 MIDI ports missing?

Regards
Matthias Carstens
RME

I quit core midi in activity monitor and got midi back.
But changing buffer rates in Logic leads to spinball.

MacBookPro M1
Logic Pro X

kol.ut.shan wrote:

An update from my end after using the new driver (v. 1.0(4)) for a couple of days:

- in general the driver is stable and I no longer have the issue of loosing sound after sleep
- when I play music by e.g. Spotify and open any other application, the sound gets interrupted for a second
- this can also happen by switiching to any already open application and sometimes even at random
- when Cubase is open and I start a video on Youtube the sound from Youtube is kind of distorted

the clock source is internal at 48000 Hz sample rate (this is set everywhere possible) and the Madi FX card also is in an Akitio TB3 case main out is AES into a Genelec 2.1 system

I'm normally not too afraid to install beta software and I do beta testing for the mastering DAW I use and many plugins but due to a few reports of clicks and pops, I might have to wait for the next beta or two before installing.

With a busy studio schedule, I do not have time to sort out issues like that.

Jperkins wrote:
kol.ut.shan wrote:

I'm normally not too afraid to install beta software and I do beta testing for the mastering DAW I use and many plugins but due to a few reports of clicks and pops, I might have to wait for the next beta or two before installing.

With a busy studio schedule, I do not have time to sort out issues like that.

Ja, if you do this in any way professionally never do beta software. I have a full blown studio but its "just" a hobby for me so I like to play around and try out new things smile

Yeah, same here. I have to hold off for a while until I know it is "safe".
Awesome support and longevity from RME!

24 (edited by Purusha 2023-01-03 11:28:35)

I'm still seeing a problem I've mentioned multiple times previously over the last few years (still happens with both new kernel and user drivers), but not sure if there's any potential solution which might be addressed by newer drivers.

I have my 3 HDSPe cards in a Sonnet chassis, connected to my cylinder 2013 MacPro via Thunderbolt.

First 2 Multifaces in the WordClock chain are V2 units, third is the older v1.

Pretty-much every time I initially boot, my second HDSPe card and its Multiface v2, gets a high noise floor across all of the inputs, which can be seen on the RME mixer app. After a reboot (not a power off/on), the noise floor drops to normal. That possibly suggests an initialisation sequencing issue...?

Any chance this might be addressed?

Do all the MF get their power from the HDSPe cards? If not, are the external power supplies switched on before the Sonnet starts?

Regards
Matthias Carstens
RME

MC wrote:

Do all the MF get their power from the HDSPe cards? If not, are the external power supplies switched on before the Sonnet starts?

Interesting thought. They're all taking their power from the HDSPe cards. Should I try external power supplies do you reckon?

Of course. With three MF the Sonnet might have a start-up inrush current issue, OR the HDSPe cards don't come up quickly enough (can happen when getting old). Also are these three cards on latest state, or is one of them older and needs a hardware mod?

Regards
Matthias Carstens
RME

28 (edited by Purusha 2023-01-04 12:21:33)

MC wrote:

Of course. With three MF the Sonnet might have a start-up inrush current issue, OR the HDSPe cards don't come up quickly enough (can happen when getting old). Also are these three cards on latest state, or is one of them older and needs a hardware mod?

I'm not sure how I'd check if a hardware mod is required. Do you have details on that?

If it's related to this post: https://forum.rme-audio.de/viewtopic.php?id=2741

I'm pretty sure I'm safe on that. Checked some time ago.

29 (edited by mlprod 2023-01-10 13:16:18)

Hi

I saw the links above are also on the main site. Does this mean they are "safe" to use now?
Also, wasn't there supposed to be one single driver for the HDSPe FX and the other HDSPE cards?

/m

EDIT: I guess I misread as there is only one DK driver.

Hello
After upgrading to VENTURA my MacBook Pro M1 no longer sees the MADIface.
I tried to install the new DK drivers but the problem is not solved.
I also changed the security policies but nothing!
If I try to run the software to update the firmware it doesn't open, no version.
Some advice?
Thank you

The first post has been updated to latest driver version 1.05. Changes:

- Added support for Aggregate Devices

- Improved behaviour on shutdown

Direct link: https://www.rme-audio.de/downloads/driv … dk_105.zip

Regards
Matthias Carstens
RME

Läuft super!
Auch mit 64 buffer in LOGIC

MacBookPro M1
Logic Pro X

Nice, if I install this DK driver and if having problems with it, how do one switch between DK and Legacy driver? I have the latest firmware/legacydriver.

That's (now more clearly) described in the first post.

Regards
Matthias Carstens
RME

MC wrote:

That's (now more clearly) described in the first post.

Right, thanks!

36 (edited by Purusha 2023-01-11 17:20:19)

MC wrote:

Excellent! Looking forward to the end of my working day, so I can give it a try!

Edit: For the first time in something like 3 years, I can now use my 3 Multifaces aggregated in Cubase - confirmed!!! Testing under-way.

MC wrote:

Unfortunately it still doesn't work for me.
I've tried deleting everything and reinstalling the drivers from scratch.
I installed the 422 drivers, the new DK 104 and 105 but nothing.
I also tried resetting the privacy policies to force the unlock but nothing!

45parallelostudio wrote:
MC wrote:

Have you installed the new firmware?

39 (edited by Purusha 2023-01-11 21:04:03)

Possible bug with 1.05 DK.

I'm losing MIDI input on my main Multiface. After a while, the incoming MIDI light on the Mulitface shows that it's seeing incoming MIDI, but the MIDI isn't getting through to either Cubase or Ableton. Cleared by a reboot.

Not sure if it's related, but Ableton takes a long time to start, when the system is in this failure mode.

Audio from the DAWs still works. Ableton's per-track CPU load tracking shows heavy load, when there's nothing running.

I'll see what happens if I don't use MIDI via the Multiface(s).

Update: I removed Multifaces from list of potential MIDI inputs on Ableton and Cubase and so far, I've not hit a problem. I've been playing MIDI from my Korg Kronos via USB, from my Ableton Push2 and also left an automated test running on an external sequencer (Cirklon) via its USB connection, playing a VST in Ableton. So far, that's been OK. Not yet conclusive, but pointing towards Multiface MIDI input, when selected as an input in the DAWs.

Purusha wrote:
45parallelostudio wrote:
MC wrote:

no. I can't update it because the firmware update software doesn't launch.
I haven't updated it since working prior to Ventura

45parallelostudio wrote:
Purusha wrote:
45parallelostudio wrote:

I'm afraid that you'll have to update the firmware. DK drivers definitely won't work without.

You should be able to use the kernel drivers and use them to re-program the firmware.

45parallelostudio wrote:
Purusha wrote:
45parallelostudio wrote:

Follow the instructions above. Uninstall DK, install legacy driver, update firmware, then install DK driver.

43 (edited by michaelhagel 2023-01-12 12:52:48)

Thank you very much for your support of "old" equipment!!

DK1.05.  HDSPe Digiface.  MacBookPro 14" 16GB  Logic 10.7.6. Monterey12.6

Did the firmware update,Logic plays for 20 min, then crashes, have to restart.
HDSP settings install but doesn't open.
No Digiface Midi in Midi-Studio.

Cheers,have a nice, rainy day.
Michael

mlprod wrote:
45parallelostudio wrote:
Purusha wrote:

Follow the instructions above. Uninstall DK, install legacy driver, update firmware, then install DK driver.

I already tried this but the 422 drivers don't work on my Ventura either

How exactly is the Madiface connected here?

Regards
Daniel Fuchs
RME

RME Support wrote:

How exactly is the Madiface connected here?

The madiface is connected with a Sonnet Echo Express SE.
The connection works because if I detach and attach the USB C from the mac, the card and sonnet LEDs turn on and off.

After spending time running through some old projects with the user-mode drivers, I've had to go back to kernel drivers since I'm experiencing too much glitching. Hoping for an improvement!

48 (edited by kol.ut.shan 2023-01-15 19:42:15)

Here are my observations with v. 1.05:
Cubase 12:
- when other applications beside Cubase are open, chances are high to get random audio glitches
- a realtime mixdown will most likely not be sucessfull because of those glichtes
- audio glitchers will appear more likely if external hardware is used
- if all other applications are closed, there's only a low chance for glitches

any other app:
- if Cubase is open any non Cubase audio will glitch randomly
- if Cubase is closed everything seems to be fine
- the driver still works after sleep

those glitches sound like if a bitcrusher has been applied to the audio sum and can be super short or a bit longer in duration

49 (edited by Purusha 2023-01-16 20:23:40)

I'm now not sure if the user-mode drivers are responsible for the glitches or not. I'm definitely getting more glitches than before, since I'm running the same projects in Ableton. ...but I'm getting new glitching in both DK and kernel drivers. Only difference, is the new firmware. I'd be surprised if that's the cause though.

Quite difficult to pin these things down sometime, if you're not monitoring system changes really carefully.

I'm still very suspicious on the MIDI side of things though, since as I mentioned above, if I use the Multiface's MIDI connection for input, I can fairly easily push the system over with CPU bandwidth being over-used.

Edit: By the way, powering the Multiface I was struggling with, does seem to have improved the noise level issue. I happen to have one spare power-supply because I had an PCMCIA Express card back in the day.

Edit2: Spoke too soon. Powering the Mulitface doesn't fix the noise issue. Just had a boot where the noise is there.

When I first tried the new user driver versions before 1.05 I had to go back to the latest kernel driver (because of massive glitches) and with that there is a persistant issue when my MacBook Pro goes to sleep. After wakeup there is no sound and I have to either reboot or replug the TB3 connection to restore audio. Not sure if that is firmware or driver related and the new user driver does not have that issue at all...