Re: New macOS RME USB 4.06 driver – public beta test

New USB driver 406
MacbookAir M1 Ventura
Digiface USB
Works fine as expected, nothing to complaine, no one to blame, great job !

M1-Sonoma, Madiface Pro, Digiface USB, Babyface silver and blue

Abentimus wrote:

Hey guys, my Mac (ventura) detects fireface in class compliant mode. But when CC mode is off, the driver 4.06 is NOT working. I've allowed those drivers to not be blocked, but wit comes with a sample rate of 32000 HZ, meaning the Mac is not even detecting the hardware, flash tool is also not working so I can't even update the hardware. Can anyone help?

It sounds like you may have missed the requirement to enable the security settings at the end of installation and before restart.

----------------
Matt McKenzie-Smith (UFXII, UFX, Babyface) MacStudioUltra OS13.2.1
----------------

Hi,

im on Monterey 12.3.1 and have a UFX at the studio and UFX II at home. RME USB 4.06 driver was working fine at home, but I cant get it to work with my UFX.

What to do ? yikes

54 (edited by waedi 2022-12-17 15:29:21)

OskarThor wrote:

Hi,

im on Monterey 12.3.1 and have a UFX at the studio and UFX II at home. RME USB 4.06 driver was working fine at home, but I cant get it to work with my UFX.

What to do ? yikes

May you check if the Firmware of the UFX is version 361.

55 (edited by pashtett 2022-12-18 22:51:19)

Hello, I installed 4.06 driver (clicked allow in settings and rebooted my mac), and I see that device is recognised in the Fireface USB Settings app. However my mac and total mix do not see it, as well as other apps. I'm on Ventura 13.0.1 (For the reference I tried to install previous version of the driver couple weeks ago when I was on Monterrey - it was the same thing)

Any thoughts? I'm using Fireface UCX

waedi wrote:
OskarThor wrote:

Hi,

What to do ? yikes

May you check if the Firmware of the UFX is version 361.

I was trying to flash it yesterday but the blue line did not move for about 20 minutes.

57 (edited by Data 2022-12-18 13:14:54)

Is there any indication on when the DriverKit driver will come out of beta, and become official? There's got to be some Apple deadline, right? Just this week when I updated to Ventura 13.1, macOS warned me that the current RME driver will not be supported in future versions - without being any more specific.

UCX II, Quadmic II, ADI-2 DAC FS
Follow me on YouTube: https://www.youtube.com/@thedilettantepianist

It's working just fine and there's no need to panic.  That warning comes up for many of the drivers in my system.
Just keep enjoying your work with them.

----------------
----------------

59 (edited by OskarThor 2022-12-18 15:35:03)

When I turn on my UFX I see it is on version 1.63 smile

Do I need a driver to update my to a higher number before i go to 361 ?

And is that even possible ?

ok I was being a dumb ass smile   The 1.63 was the nr that came up on my UFX when I turned it on. It was on 360 but would not Flash on the M1.

I found a old Macbook pro 2017 BigSur 11.6 and ran the Flash on that to my UFX and now it its working on the new computer smile

I've done a fresh install of Ventura with 4.06, and the volume control issue I had has gotten worse. Not only do I lose the ability to control volume with my volume keys on the keyboard/OS itself, I can no longer use the physical volume knob on my Fireface UC to 'reset' the bug to allow physical volume key controls. Only thing that fixes it now is a soft reboot of macOS.

To reiterate the issue, after an extended period of uptime, pressing the volume up/down keys on the keyboard brings up the volume up/down display, but nothing happens. Volume stays the same. Even if using the volume slider in the mission control/top right hand corner menu bar, it will not control audio. Changing the volume via the Fireface UC knob itself 'fixed' the issue until it came back, which required another turn of the dial. This workaround no longer works post fresh install.

benst wrote:
benst wrote:

After the last Big Sur 11.7 update I lost my UFX with 3.27 driver again. So I gave the latest 4.06 (with TM 1.78) another try.

The system becomes very sluggish every now and then. The problem seems to be with TotalMix, which sometimes uses up to 100% cpu time. The mouse moves very erratic (stays at one point, then jumps to the next, etc), and mouse clicks are not registered or only after several seconds.

Quiting TM immediately makes the system responsive again. I looked in /var/log/system.log but could not find any clues.

This is on a late 2014 iMac 27" retina, 4 GHz Quad core i7, 32 GB memory.

Quick update: since this post and the downgrade to 3.27, my system has been running stable again. (Probably until the next Big Sur upgrade. hmm )

And indeed, after upgrading to 11.7.2 today, the driver wasn't loaded and the UFX wasn't recognized. I reinstalled 3.27, rebooted, and it is working again. Bit disappointed in this. Please let me know if I can help in any way, send log files, whatever.

I see no newer 4.x version has been posted recently so I declined to try that again because of the quoted problems.

Ben

UFX, iMac 27" late 2014, quad i7, 32 GB ram, 1TB SSD, OSX 11.7, Logic 10.7.4, Final Cut 10.6.5

62 (edited by soundpotion 2022-12-22 08:40:48)

There is a major problem when I use Logic Pro X with my BF Pro FS in Native mode. When you hit play it just keeps stuttering. If I switch to another interface or the Mac's internal interface the problem stops completely. When logic is used in rosetta mode the session opens fine with my RME interface. This points to a driver issue which is causing the playback to stutter when Logic is running in native mode. I have tried with Logic's internal plugins or with plugins that run natively but the problem persists on the RME interface. No issues when used with another interface! Hopefully this problem can be fixed when the final version of the driver comes out. Without that the interface is completely unusable in native mode. The same session runs smoothly with my Fireface 800!

Here is a thread that mentions the issue in detail: https://forum.rme-audio.de/viewtopic.php?id=35215

MacBook Pro M1Pro - Monterey -  Babyface Pro FS - Fireface 800 -  Logic Pro X 10.7.7

soundpotion wrote:

There is a major problem when I use Logic Pro X with my BF Pro FS in Native mode. When you hit play it just keeps stuttering. If I switch to another interface or the Mac's internal interface the problem stops completely. When logic is used in rosetta mode the session opens fine with my RME interface. This points to a driver issue which is causing the playback to stutter when Logic is running in native mode. I have tried with Logic's internal plugins or with plugins that run natively but the problem persists on the RME interface. No issues when used with another interface! Hopefully this problem can be fixed when the final version of the driver comes out. Without that the interface is completely unusable in native mode. The same session runs smoothly with my Fireface 800!

Here is a thread that mentions the issue in detail: https://forum.rme-audio.de/viewtopic.php?id=35215

Can you listen music with the Babyface ?
Files from the Finder, MP3s etc  Youtube ?

waedi wrote:
soundpotion wrote:

Can you listen music with the Babyface ?
Files from the Finder, MP3s etc  Youtube ?

Yes, from finder its fine. Only playing from the DAW is the issue. I also own a fireface800 and there is no problem at all with that. So its an issue with the usb driver that works with the Babyface Pro FS...

MacBook Pro M1Pro - Monterey -  Babyface Pro FS - Fireface 800 -  Logic Pro X 10.7.7

65 (edited by mikgld 2022-12-24 00:10:41)

Hi, I just bought a Fireface UCX, and I am facing glitches using it with my MacBook pro m1 running Monterey 12.0.1.

I have tried the driver 327 and the latest 4.06 beta and both creates the same kind of clicks and momentary stops the music, using Ableton  with a basic project with less than 10 tracks.
I have already uploaded the new firmware.

On the console I found this message.

error    22:58:47.419663+0000    CAReportingService    flushMessagesWithCompletion: flush failed with error '<private>'

/System/Library/Frameworks/AudioToolbox.framework/XPCServices/CAReportingService.xpc/Contents/MacOS/CAReportingService(/System/Library/
PrivateFrameworks/RTCReporting.framework/Versions/A/RTCReporting)

What can I do to solve this?

Thanks

Hi guys,
I just switched my old Mac Pro for a mint Mac Studio, with Monterey.
My audio interface is one of the first Fireface UFX, version 1.58 (It seems to me that I couldn't update it when I wanted to add the remote controller years ago because it was one of the first ones).

Please could you tell me which driver I should install, preferably the most stable version ?
Thanks smile

mikgld wrote:

Hi, I just bought a Fireface UCX, and I am facing glitches using it with my MacBook pro m1 running Monterey 12.0.1.

I have tried the driver 327 and the latest 4.06 beta and both creates the same kind of clicks and momentary stops the music, using Ableton  with a basic project with less than 10 tracks.

error    22:58:47.419663+0000    CAReportingService    flushMessagesWithCompletion: flush failed with error '<private>'

/System/Library/Frameworks/AudioToolbox.framework/XPCServices/CAReportingService.xpc/Contents/MacOS/CAReportingService(/System/Library/

Thanks

What does the activity monitor tell you? Especially regarding the "memory pressure" these dropouts reflect on my system pretty clear with some kind of memory "occupation".

Don't expect much in solving the issue – at least my posts did not find an open ear from RME side.

Thanks for answering… at least someone reads the posts on the forum.
Memory seems normal without any spikes.

I can't believe that 20 years later, and after spending many thousands of euros in new computer and RME interface, I am still facing the same issues as in the year 2000.

El Duderino wrote:
mikgld wrote:

Thanks

What does the activity monitor tell you? Especially regarding the "memory pressure" these dropouts reflect on my system pretty clear with some kind of memory "occupation".

Don't expect much in solving the issue – at least my posts did not find an open ear from RME side.

Dumb question but did you connect your Fireface directly to your MacBook or are you using an USB hub?
This could cause severe issues at least if caused dropouts and breaks / stops with logic pro.

Actually starting to experience some dropouts and issues when recording within Ableton Live. 32bit/88k. Normally works without any issues. Also starting to glitch within Zoom. Currently on MacOS Ventura 13.1.

krow01 wrote:

Actually starting to experience some dropouts and issues when recording within Ableton Live. 32bit/88k. Normally works without any issues. Also starting to glitch within Zoom. Currently on MacOS Ventura 13.1.

Are there lots of plugins active in Ableton when working with Zoom ?
Can you bypass all plugins for testing ?

waedi wrote:
krow01 wrote:

Are there lots of plugins active in Ableton when working with Zoom ?
Can you bypass all plugins for testing ?

Okay so after sitting down and testing, it doesn't seem to be the driver. Switching USB ports seems to have fixed the issue so seems more like a failing port. No glitches since. I'll continue to monitor.

After all the mysterious issues which you already had on TB I am not astonished to read about further issues when using USB 3 and USB 2. Still:

- USB 2 (of course) works with driver 4.06. The first time the unit is connected via USB 2 cable the same Allow Device confirmation dialog will pop up as it does for USB 3. Maybe you missed that one.

- Or the Interface Mode is not set to Auto but USB 3.

- Or the UFX+ is on firmware version 53 which had a (documented) USB 2 detection bug. That was already fixed in version 54 in June 2021.

Regards
Matthias Carstens
RME

BlackBlossom wrote:

MC, there is definitely something up with Apple's OS. I decided to try one more time, installing the 327DK to remove, and then 4.06 Driver fresh install. Now the UFX+ is discovered with USB2.0 or USB3.0 cable and I am not getting the glitches via either cable type. I was definitely on 4.06 when I tested this yesterday, and the firmware was already 54. It's as though there is some bug in MacOS where a driver is installed partially or with some kind of restriction on i/o, because today this works as I'd expect it to work, and the only change has been removal of driver and reinstall of Driverkit. I am very exasperated with how many things do not work properly on the current machines/OS. I can't even update this year old MBP16 to Ventura as the OS update fails to complete and bricks the entire machine requiring a revert to Monterey.

Did you try to to update to Ventura online ?
this often fails.
you can download complete installers, it was usually more successful for old iMacs and Books.
https://swcdn.apple.com/content/downloa … istant.pkg

I am having problems with the beta driver 4.06:

My UCX is sometimes not recognised by Total Mix, currently only my Digiface USB is recognised.
- Both interfaces are showing up in the driver window (Fireface USB Settings)
- I can select the UCX as a system audio device and it is playing fine
- The UCX is not in CC mode
- After a reboot everything works normal again
- the problems appears regularly the last days, it also affected both interfaces once

MacBook Pro 13-inch, M1, 2020
macOS 13.1

Any more info you need from my side before I roll back to 3.28?

4.06 seem to work great here with Fireface 802 and Reaper! M1 Mini with Monterey soon to be Ventura.

I tried to roll back the drivers, installing 3.28, but now Total Mix is crashing once I plug the UCX.
It is working fine on an older machine. What should I do?

Unplug the DF USB while testing/installing, make sure the UCX gets a good and not shared USB port. Which TotalMix version is there now?

Regards
Matthias Carstens
RME

79 (edited by hselters 2023-01-12 11:26:40)

It was a software issue. It's working fine now after I removed everything I found in the library, including the last.FirefaceUCX.xml. Will keep testing the beta now and see if the previous issue (that it was only sometimes not recognised after some time using it) also disappeared.

Old user upgrading to M1 machine here.

Is the beta stable enough for normal use or should most users still go with the reduced security and old kext driver?

Beginning of rant

I can't believe the native driver is still in beta, it's not like the m1 machines came yesterday and it's not like this is a cheap soundinterace. In fact, cheaper brands have native drivers ready. Why is this taking so long?

End of rant.

81 (edited by mlprod 2023-01-13 23:07:10)

tigersoul wrote:

Is the beta stable enough for normal use or should most users still go with the reduced security and old kext driver?

Beginning of rant

I can't believe the native driver is still in beta, it's not like the m1 machines came yesterday and it's not like this is a cheap soundinterace. In fact, cheaper brands have native drivers ready. Why is this taking so long?

End of rant.

Counter rant: The MX machines has been supported since almost day 1! The new driver is about the upcoming (who knows when) situation when Apple is disbanding the kernal driver support. RME has nothing to do with this!

mlprod wrote:
tigersoul wrote:

Beginning of rant

End of rant.

Counter rant: The MX machines has been supported since almost day 1! The new driver is about the upcoming (who knows when) situation when Apple is disbanding the kernal driver support. RME has nothing to do with this!

Well...
Yes and no. Apple has said that kext drivers are yesterday since years now. It's not news. Users have to  go into recovery on their machines to enable the old driver to run. This is probably feeling downright like a hack to many. I feel that the current way of writing a driver shouldn't be a beta by now.

Either way. That was just the rant. How is the beta running for people? I'd certainly prefer to use a driver written for the current state of things. Kext is always a risk. For instability and issues.

the beta is running fine for me now. probably more stable than most non beta drivers from other brands tongue

UFX+ and 12mic connected via MADI coax failing to synchronize with 44.1 kHz.

Green led on UFX is blinking. Sample rate on 12mic in browser and on display of UFX+ is showing 32.0 kHz.
FF USB setting shows 44.1kHz.
Connecting with thunderbolt is working fine in 44.1

UFX+, FireFace 802 FS, Digiface USB
12 Mic, M1610 pro, Micstasy
MacBookPro M1
Logic Pro X

85 (edited by naturligasteg 2023-01-16 15:47:07)

I stepped in against my better instincts and installed this beta on my Mac Studio. I really hate issues and instability, but I am very grateful to RME for having supporting with drivers even your old PCI-cards for a long time. So I decided to help out with testing. So far no issues detected using standard apps and Cubase on my Fireface 802. BTW, It would be really cool if you could update Totalmix with a multiband EQ on the outputs so we can do speaker calibration in the future.

The problem I have is that there are occasional jumps/glitches even though I listen to music normally with the help of Apple Music.
Equipment - RME Babyface (2011)
Computer - Mac - operating system - ventura 13.1.

I tried to change cables to update a version but can't solve the problem even with other versions

ofekag wrote:

The problem I have is that there are occasional jumps/glitches even though I listen to music normally with the help of Apple Music.

I tried to change cables to update a version but can't solve the problem even with other versions

I'm back to having this issue as well, even with 0 plugins, and no matter what cable or USB port I use. Just random dropouts both playback and recording. Happens regardless of sample rate or buffer size. Just did a test at 48k/2048 and still got a dropout during recording. Also on 13.1, but with UCX II.

krow01 wrote:
ofekag wrote:

I'm back to having this issue as well, even with 0 plugins, and no matter what cable or USB port I use. Just random dropouts both playback and recording. Happens regardless of sample rate or buffer size. Just did a test at 48k/2048 and still got a dropout during recording. Also on 13.1, but with UCX II.

I see this too. However, I don't think it relates to this beta, as it did it with previous versions.
It appears to relate to both system alert sounds and potentially web browsing. (not necessarily the sound being played in browsing, but scrolling pages).
So I am suggesting this is OS related. (I initially saw it on Monterey and now Ventura).

----------------
----------------

Are you guys using aggregate devices by any chance?

MC wrote:
carich wrote:

Tried v4.06 with an M1 Pro running MacOS 12.6 connected to a MADIface XT.

High-numbered input channels (193-196) now appear in their "fixed" positions, but
High-numbered playback channels (193-198) still move to channels 97-102 at sample rates > 48KHz
(at least in DigiCheck NG v0.89 beta 1).

Yes, DigiCheck NG will get an update.

Tried DigiCheck NG v0.891 released 2023-01-09. High-numbered playback channels (193-198) still move to channels 97-102 at sample rates > 48KHz.

Little Mountain Music
MacOS 14.3.1, MADIface XT, 4 x OctaMic XTC, M-32 DA

After a few days of testing without issues yesterday I began to experience problem with dropout in sound playback. I got it today as well. It seems like these short bursts of milliseconds without sound occur more when i have Safari open and read text from webpages while listen to sound from Spotify or Apple Music.

Hi,

i still get every time i restart my macbook M1 the warning:

https://i.ibb.co/kKRZ9Vm/Bildschirm-foto-2023-01-22-um-12-36-29.png

i run MacOS Ventura 13.1 with latest RME Drivers 4.06 and Firmware with Babyface Pro FS

is there some file i need to disable / delete to prevent this error message?

See manual, lists of files to remove is in there.

Regards
Matthias Carstens
RME

carich wrote:
MC wrote:
carich wrote:

Tried v4.06 with an M1 Pro running MacOS 12.6 connected to a MADIface XT.

High-numbered input channels (193-196) now appear in their "fixed" positions, but
High-numbered playback channels (193-198) still move to channels 97-102 at sample rates > 48KHz
(at least in DigiCheck NG v0.89 beta 1).

Yes, DigiCheck NG will get an update.

Tried DigiCheck NG v0.891 released 2023-01-09. High-numbered playback channels (193-198) still move to channels 97-102 at sample rates > 48KHz.

Sorry for that, next version, soon.

Regards
Matthias Carstens
RME

MC wrote:

Hi MC,

In der Anleitung steht unter 2. Installation -->
Hinweis: Ein zuvor installierter Kernel-Erweiterungstreiber, wie 3.27, muss nicht deinstalliert werden, er wird automatisch überschrieben. Danach ist es möglich die Sicherheitseinstellungen des Systems wieder auf Default zu setze, falls nicht weitere Kernel-Extension-Treiber nach wie vor eine reduzierte Sicherheit erfordern.

Ich habe ja den neuen schon installiert und wenn der alte überschrieben wurde, sollte die Meldung
eigentlich nicht mehr auftauchen?   

sorry, stehe wohl auf dem Schlauch was ich wo von Hand löschen muss  ;-/.

Es gibt (noch) kein Handbuch welches DriverKit-Treiber beschreibt. Sie haben das liesmich des Treibers gelesen. Treiber-Deinstallation steht im Mac-Kapitel des Handbuchs ihres Audiointerfaces...

Regards
Matthias Carstens
RME

MC wrote:

I looked at this part of the 4.06 readme.

"
Note: A previously installed kernel extension driver, like 3.27, does not need to be uninstalled. It will be overwritten automatically. After that you could set the system security back to normal, unless any other existing kernel extensions still need reduced security."

I read that as there are no need to remove anything manually if the installation goes through. Where is that part with files to remove?

Looking att settings in Fireface I have Firmware: v19 Driver: v4.06 beta now. Where can I see if there is something old left on this Mac?

What is the full process to remove all and install drivers from scratch if that may solve the pop and stop play back issue?

I have tried different usb port and is seems about the same... goes many hours without any issues and the suddenly there is a pop or stop or two...

naturligasteg wrote:

I read that as there are no need to remove anything manually if the installation goes through.

Exactly.

naturligasteg wrote:

Where is that part with files to remove?

In the manual, chapter driver deinstallation.

naturligasteg wrote:

ILooking at settings in Fireface I have Firmware: v19 Driver: v4.06 beta now. Where can I see if there is something old left on this Mac?

You don't and don't need to. If there is something left you would get the same error message as the other user.

naturligasteg wrote:

What is the full process to remove all and install drivers from scratch if that may solve the pop and stop play back issue?

It doesn't.

naturligasteg wrote:

II have tried different usb port and is seems about the same... goes many hours without any issues and the suddenly there is a pop or stop or two...

In the end it is Apple's responsibility to make DriverKit work without such effects. THEY put DriverKit on all of us, and THEY decided that a not-kernel based solution is good enough for anyone. Although technically that is more than questionable.

That said pops and clicks can also happen with kernel-based drivers.

Regards
Matthias Carstens
RME

Thank you MC.

I read that as there is nothing more to do about this? This playback issue something that Apple have to fix? But I did not notice it with my previous installed version (4.02 i think) so I thought this was a 4.06 problem, but it does not happen often so perhaps i was just lucky when I was using the old version?

100 (edited by zwap 2023-01-23 11:19:01)

MC wrote:

Es gibt (noch) kein Handbuch welches DriverKit-Treiber beschreibt. Sie haben das liesmich des Treibers gelesen. Treiber-Deinstallation steht im Mac-Kapitel des Handbuchs ihres Audiointerfaces...

Ok Ich habe nach der Bedienungsanleitung alles entfernt was da war.

Allerdings gibt es die Datei im Pfad:  /System/Library/Extensions/FirefaceUSB.kext  gar nicht.
Jedenfalls nicht unter MacOS Ventura 13.1 auf meinem Macbook M1.  Ich habe zuvor noch nie etwas von Hand dort gelöscht.
Nach löschen der restlichen dort aufgeführten Dateien kommt jetzt jedenfalls das Pop-up beim Start nicht mehr.
Hat also geklappt.