Topic: Babyface not recognised w/ OS Monterey, Intel and latest drivers

Hi all,

My set-up:
- Macbook pro 2020 (intel quadcore i7)
- Monterey (12.6)
- 16gb RAM
- Babyface (snow edition)
- Driver driver_usb_mac_328.zip (released by RME on 2022-09-30)

The problem: Babyface not recognised and total mix not showing after installing latest driver from RME:

I followed the instructions and allowed the system software in my security and privacy settings, rebooted and then the babyface was not regocnised in any of my DAW programmes or total mix, nor does the total mix window show. The total mix does show in the docking station and in the task bar above, but no mixer window. The RME fireface usb settings icon is shown in my docking station but does not respond when clicking on it.

I tried downloading the drivers again and repeating the process, but now the allow button did not show at all in security and privacy. Thereupon I tried rebooting in recovery and resetting RME driver recognition as explained in a youtube video, but that resulted in nothing.

Could anyone help me out here?

Very much appreciated!

Re: Babyface not recognised w/ OS Monterey, Intel and latest drivers

Please try the new driver 406 :
https://www.rme-audio.de/downloads/driv … ac_406.zip

M1-Sonoma, Madiface Pro, Digiface USB, Babyface silver and blue

That was not good advice. Please refrain from linking to the zip file, link to the thread with explanations instead:

https://forum.rme-audio.de/viewtopic.php?id=35957

This points to

https://forum.rme-audio.de/viewtopic.php?id=35444

where it clearly says (like in the usually not read readme):

The Babyface needs to be updated by firmware for the 4.06 driver to work. And that is not possible as currently nothing works at all.

First question would be - is the Babyface in CC mode, so can it play back audio?

Regards
Matthias Carstens
RME

Hi MC, Thanks for your reply - the babyface was not in CC mode. I turned it on to CC mode just now. The lights and buttons are all functioning properly. However, it can still not playback audio as it is not selectable as an audio output in my system preferences, or in any DAW.

In CC mode the Babyface MUST automatically show up in the system. If not then the unit itself might be damaged. Can you check it on a different computer?

Regards
Matthias Carstens
RME

I tried with the other USB cable and now the unit is recognised and works for playback in CC mode, although the sound seems panned to one side quite a bit.

Hi, I downloaded the firmware update from the thread you linked to. However, when I follow the readme instructions and click to open the "Fireface USB Flash", the app jumps up and down on the dock twice and disappears. I checked a couple times and the babyface was properly connected when this happened. Any clue on how to resolve this?

You can not update when the driver doesn't work - because you installed 4.06 already. You need to do the firmware update on a working system - either another computer, and older OS, or using the former kernel based driver.

Regards
Matthias Carstens
RME

I don't fully understand. Which kernel based driver exactly can I use to make it work on my current Macbook and OS?

Alternatively I have another windows computer - Would that work too? If so, could you please explain.

Please excuse my limited understanding of IT here wink

10 (edited by ebmmbongo 2022-12-21 06:57:16)

Deleted, I totally misunderstood...

Babyface Pro FS, MSI GS66, Studio One

Nope. A Windows FUT that includes those DK firmware versions is in preparation. The 'other' computer refers to another Mac.

Regards
Matthias Carstens
RME

Hi MC,

I now used an older macbookpro w/ OS 10.12.6 and an older driver as found on the RME website: driver_usb_mac_3222.zip, and get the same problem on this computer: babyface working in cc mode, but not recognised by totalmix.

Could you please tell me exactly which driver I need and what I need to do to make it work?

Hi Matthias,

Could you please help me out?

I still cannot get it to work.

Kind regards,
Adriaan

14 (edited by oli77sch 2023-01-03 16:41:52)

adriaan.brabander wrote:

Hi MC,

I now used an older macbookpro w/ OS 10.12.6 and an older driver as found on the RME website: driver_usb_mac_3222.zip, and get the same problem on this computer: babyface working in cc mode, but not recognised by totalmix.

Could you please tell me exactly which driver I need and what I need to do to make it work?

Hi Adriaan

Did you try to run the FUT on the old Macbook / OS 10.12.6?
Could it be, the Babyface runs on its second (secure) BIOS at the moment due to a failed firmware update process? (See also page 31, point 15.3 in the manual).

Regards, Oli

FF 400 - Babyface pro - Digiface USB - ADI-2 (original)
Mac mini M1 - Macbook pro - iPad Air2

Hi Oli,

I tried running the FUT, but as is said in the manual point you are referring to: in order to install the FUT a working driver is required.

I tried installing the driver_usb_mac_3222.zip on my old (2011 macbook pro), but at the restart my computer seems to stop and show a black screen with cursor only and not responding to anything anymore. I also tried the oldest driver package available on the RME website, but without success. Any ideas on how to fix this?

Kr, Adriaan

adriaan.brabander wrote:

Hi Oli,

I tried running the FUT, but as is said in the manual point you are referring to: in order to install the FUT a working driver is required.

I tried installing the driver_usb_mac_3222.zip on my old (2011 macbook pro), but at the restart my computer seems to stop and show a black screen with cursor only and not responding to anything anymore. I also tried the oldest driver package available on the RME website, but without success. Any ideas on how to fix this?

Kr, Adriaan

Sorry to hear this, it seems you are a bit out of luck...? I can't tell you what is wrong here. I never had such issues, using RME products since 2009.

FF 400 - Babyface pro - Digiface USB - ADI-2 (original)
Mac mini M1 - Macbook pro - iPad Air2

Dear RME,

I now have bought a babyface pro fs - and with it installed latest drivers (3.28) -- in PC mode the babyface is not showing up in totalmix nor in the audio settings of my macbookpro -- The fireface usb settings shows the babyface and notes that the firmware is up to date (v201) -- In CC mode the device is recognised, but cannot play back audio -- the manual indicates that it could be lack of significant power and a dc charger might fix it. I will try this, but certainly the device should be able to function on a macbook pro connected to power source without the use of usb hubs and no other devices connected? Could somebody please help me with this.

Kind regards,
Adriaan

This is a user forum. Please contact the official RME support, they will help you with the setup and further questions.

Regards
Matthias Carstens
RME