Topic: RME FF800 Pairing / Routing Matrix and Software Playback

Dear User Forum,

I've read the manual. Watched the video. But I am still confused. Even waited a month. I would be grateful for assistance. I will try to explain as clearly as possible.

I've paired x2 RME FF800s. The second is in standalone mode and connected to the first, which goes to the computer. This I set to Operational Mode 'Digital Audio Workstation' and use with Ableton.

I have managed to route the additional inputs from the second, standalone unit. For the life of me, I cannot work out how to route the outputs on the standalone. I would like to not only multiply inputs but also outputs.

Perhaps I am not able to?   

Please have mercy on me.

Jonathan

Re: RME FF800 Pairing / Routing Matrix and Software Playback

jonathan.p.watts wrote:

I have managed to route the additional inputs from the second, standalone unit. For the life of me, I cannot work out how to route the outputs on the standalone. I would like to not only multiply inputs but also outputs.

Assumed FF800#1 -- ADAT1 OUT---------------------->ADAT1 IN---FF800#2
[clock master]                                                           [clock slave getting clock from ADAT1]

To be able to change the routing on the 2nd FF800, you need to connect FF800#2 to the PC as well.
I would keep it connected to be able to operate the interface (change preamp gain, etc).

For further operation, you can either stay in this one TM FX window and select FF800#1 or #2.
Alternatively, open a new TM FX window and place them nicely on the screen, e.g.:
- TM FX instance #1 on the left   side for FF800#1 (main interface)
- TM FX instance #2 on the right side for FF800#2 (2nd interface)

On TM FX instance #1 create the submixes for HW output ADAT 1-8
    by selecting the HW output and moving the faders of HW inputs and SW playbacks as needed.
On FM FX instance #2 create the submixes for any HW output
   by moving the Fader of HW input ADAT1-8 as needed.

Thats it.

BR Ramses - UFX III, 12Mic, XTC, ADI-2 Pro FS R BE, RayDAT, X10SRi-F, E5-1680v4, Win10Pro22H2, Cub13

Good Morning ramses,

Thank you for your response. I have followed all of the above setup points according to the manual / online videos.

It's the routing of the standalone unit #2 in TotalMix I have problems with.

On standalone unit #2 all of the hardware inputs work and I can allocate them in Ableton.

On standalone unit #2 I have managed to get outputs 1/2 to work. The rest do not.

I have done a screenshot of the current setup. Perhaps you could guide me?

My aim is to make all inputs 1--8 and all outputs 1--8 active.

Here is a screengrab of TotalMix for unit #2: https://drive.google.com/file/d/1Y03T-7 … sp=sharing

Best,

Jonathan

Morning,

I'm following up to confirm that I have managed to resolve my issue. Simple, of course, once I'd seen it.

Thank you again ramses for your assistance.

Here is what my routing looks like: https://drive.google.com/file/d/1W-kACG … share_link

Good wishes,

JPW

5 (edited by ramses 2023-01-29 17:21:26)

Hi Jonathan.

Congratulations that it works now.

Just by the way. If you plan to work more often with the matrix view, then I would delete all unnecessary routings.
Thereafter, you will find your way around the matrix view much better, and it will be much easier to validate even more complex routings.

To put an example: recently, I completely rebuilt my setup after many years:
https://forum.rme-audio.de/viewtopic.php?id=36025
It went easier than I thought, and now the matrix gives me the overview I was hoping for, so I can use it better for validating settings. Before, the preset (but not needed) routings robbed the overview (especially with a UFX+ with many channels).

Note: the complete deletion of the TM settings described in the posting is only worthwhile if you want to create a complete default setting. So, not only regarding the routing, but also the channel layout (folding of channels).
For you, it is easier as you are at the beginning and did not perform so many changes. In your case, you can, e.g., perform such steps:
- to delete all routings in the Matrix view with Ctrl-LeftMouseKey,
- to add only the necessary routings (I think easiest to be performed in the Mixer view in submix mode) and
- to check them in the Matrix view, finally.

As a side note: this action resulted among other things in further interesting findings / feature requests for TM FX, which I have collected here: https://forum.rme-audio.de/viewtopic.ph … 45#p192345
You are welcome to add a "+1" so hopefully RME will implement some of the suggestions.

But as the saying goes, Rome wasn't built in a day either. You don't have to implement everything immediately. I was just surprised that you have already discovered and used the Matrix View, and wanted to give you an outlook on how you can open up and optimize the environment step by step.

In this post, you can see that after that, I also started to use the matrix view for documentation purposes:
https://forum.rme-audio.de/viewtopic.ph … 00#p192400
Tip: on Windows, you can use the screenshot tool "Greenshot" to add additional documentation notes easily and quickly.

BR Ramses - UFX III, 12Mic, XTC, ADI-2 Pro FS R BE, RayDAT, X10SRi-F, E5-1680v4, Win10Pro22H2, Cub13