Topic: Babyface Pro FS crackles on macOS when Parallels machine is running

Hi, I have a Babyface Pro FS (Firmware: v200, Driver: v3.27) connected to an M1 MacBook Pro (16-inch, 2021) running macOS 12.6.3 (Monterey). My Babyface plays fine until I run a Windows 11 virtual machine in Parallels. When the VM is running (Babyface still connected to the host machine, not virtually to the VM) every few minutes I get audio stutter and crackle. When I stop the VM, the problem goes away. The issue does not happen with the built-in soundcard.

Does anyone experience the same problem?
Is there a possibility it will be better with driver v4?
Is there something I can do about it?
Is there something RME can do about it?

Thank you! :-)

Re: Babyface Pro FS crackles on macOS when Parallels machine is running

Test with driver 4 is easy to do and go back to the one you use now is no problem.
Very exotic problem, it seems to be Paralles has a bad influence onto the mac ?

M1-Sequoia, Madiface Pro, Digiface USB, Babyface silver and blue

Sadly, installing driver version 4.06b did not help.

Once the VM puts some load to the CPU, macOS playback through Babyface starts to stutter. When I change sound output to the built-in audio, it plays fine.

I'm just trying to listen to music on my Mac while working in Visual Studio on a virtual machine in Parallels.

For just running an EXE in Mac I use the app PlayOnMac, it's a simple Windows Emulator for running exe without fully load a Windows. Its fast and smooth. I don't use Paralles anymore.

M1-Sequoia, Madiface Pro, Digiface USB, Babyface silver and blue

5 (edited by nixx 2023-08-24 11:19:55)

Problem solved by installing macOS Sonoma Beta.
It wasn't caused specifically by Parallels but rather by high memory pressure. Sonoma handles high memory pressure without external USB audio interfaces stuttering.