1 (edited by Labdoc 2023-02-20 02:42:08)

Topic: Headphone amp/interface to UFX+ 10-15m away

Please advise on how to connect a UFX+ to phones located 10 - 15m distant in the same room.

This is a hifi listening room, not a studio. The UFX+ is located at the front of the room, connected to the amp. My listening location is a desk at the back of the room. A Thunderbolt cable connects the UFX+ to a computer at my desk. I run TotalMixFX and a convolver program for digital room correction via the computer. Works nicely for the main speakers.

Digital input for music playback goes to the SPDIF input of the UFX+ from a headless minicomputer controlled by a web interface (Daphile version of Logitech Media Server (SlimServer)

I would like to add a headphone listening capability beyond Windows audio.

A legacy UFX is available, but I think the ADAT connection is too long. 
An ADI-2 pro FS R BE would be elegant, but is a connection possible?

Thanks in advance

ADI-2 pro fs be; UFX+; MADIfaceUSB; Startech active USB3 cable; Sonnet Allegro Pro adapter; Win11x64

Re: Headphone amp/interface to UFX+ 10-15m away

I used the cheapest toslink cables 20m from the house to the garden shed, no problem at all.
The ADI-2 Pro has plenty of connections, AdAT or AES with XLR cables will work.
I love the ADAT cables because they are thin and lightweight.
Easy to hide in the living room.

M1-Sequoia, Madiface Pro, Digiface USB, Babyface silver and blue

Thanks @waedi. Problem solved!
I also found some other posts on the forum, mostly by @Ramses, that confirm 15m optical cable is no problem (Toslink in his case).

ADI-2 pro fs be; UFX+; MADIfaceUSB; Startech active USB3 cable; Sonnet Allegro Pro adapter; Win11x64

4 (edited by ramses 2023-02-20 19:27:36)

Labdoc wrote:

Thanks @waedi. Problem solved!
I also found some other posts on the forum, mostly by @Ramses, that confirm 15m optical cable is no problem (Toslink in his case).

Longer cables might have an issue with 192 kHz, but might still work at lower sample rates.

According to the standard, TOSLINK cables may be up to approx. 10 m long.
Astonishing, many cable manufacturers offer TOSLINK cables up to 20 m like this one:
https://www.thomann.de/de/mutec_optisches_kabel_20m.htm
But possibly, there might be issues at higher sample rates, maybe also depending on the quality of the TOSLINKs (with the optical converter) on the board.

Assumption: perhaps RME uses TOSLINKs of better quality, so that even 192 kHz is possible over (in my case 15+1) 16 m.

In contrast to that: USB3 cables can't get much longer than 3 m in comparison, so not longer than the standard allows.

BR Ramses - UFX III, 12Mic, XTC, ADI-2 Pro FS R BE, RayDAT, X10SRi-F, E5-1680v4, Win10Pro22H2, Cub13

Hi Ramses, generally I do not use 192 kHz.
For my info, is the AES/EBU connection over 10-15m any better than Toslink?

6 (edited by ramses 2023-02-20 21:53:06)

AES max cable length is 100 m. It's not better, both allow lossless transport of digital data.

BR Ramses - UFX III, 12Mic, XTC, ADI-2 Pro FS R BE, RayDAT, X10SRi-F, E5-1680v4, Win10Pro22H2, Cub13