1 (edited by atmirza 2023-03-15 05:06:44)

Topic: MADIFace Pro, UFX III, and 12mic for remote recording rig?

I have a MADIface Pro and 12 mic, connected via MADI optical. Works great. I do some remote recording where it's useful to set the 12mic on stage and then run 100 feet of MADI to the MADIface Pro and laptop in a separate room. Then the MADIFace Pro itself is great on its own for simpler remote recording and performance projects.

I've been waiting for the successor to UFX+ so I can add more I/O.

Now that it's here, what I'd like to do is stack a UFX III and 12 mic in a 2u enclosure to use in my studio and also as a flexible stage box for remote recording/performance, with the MADIface Pro as my interface.

Before pulling the trigger, can someone confirm that this setup will work--basically that I can use the UFX III as a standalone MADI device?

Here is the chain:

Laptop (USB)  <---> MADIface Pro (MADI optical out) ---> UFX III (MADI out) ----> 12 Mic (MADI optical out) -->  MADIface Pro

I guess I wouldn't have access to Totalmix FX, since that is not available on the MADIFace Pro, but that's ok.

I haven't used DURec but I would like to. If I understand correctly, I would have to manually start/stop recording directly on the UFX III rather than via Totalmix.

Anything else I should consider?

Re: MADIFace Pro, UFX III, and 12mic for remote recording rig?

atmirza wrote:

Before pulling the trigger, can someone confirm that this setup will work--basically that I can use the UFX III as a standalone MADI device?

User manual page 52 says yes.

M1-Sonoma, Madiface Pro, Digiface USB, Babyface silver and blue

Right. Thanks waedi.

atmirza wrote:

I have a MADIface Pro and 12 mic, connected via MADI optical. Works great. I do some remote recording where it's useful to set the 12mic on stage and then run 100 feet of MADI to the MADIface Pro and laptop in a separate room. Then the MADIFace Pro itself is great on its own for simpler remote recording and performance projects.

I've been waiting for the successor to UFX+ so I can add more I/O.

Now that it's here, what I'd like to do is stack a UFX III and 12 mic in a 2u enclosure to use in my studio and also as a flexible stage box for remote recording/performance, with the MADIface Pro as my interface.

Here is the chain:

Laptop (USB)  <---> MADIface Pro (MADI optical out) ---> UFX III (MADI out) ----> 12 Mic (MADI optical out) -->  MADIface Pro

I guess I wouldn't have access to Totalmix FX, since that is not available on the MADIFace Pro, but that's ok.

I haven't used DURec but I would like to. If I understand correctly, I would have to manually start/stop recording directly on the UFX III rather than via Totalmix.

Anything else I should consider?

Possible and you can also use ARC USB for starting and stopping DURec.

You can also connect a small laptop to control via TM FX at the device and if there is a LAN or WLAN you can use this to remote control TM FX using TM FX remote by a much smaller tablet alike Windows device.

You can also use TM FX for the iPAD to control the UFX III.

BR Ramses - UFX III, 12Mic, XTC, ADI-2 Pro FS R BE, RayDAT, X10SRi-F, E5-1680v4, Win10Pro22H2, Cub13

Good suggestions, thanks.

An iPAD would also allow me to set things like monitor mixes at the UFX III.