Topic: Remote issues

Hello
I'm on my 2nd remote that was covered by warranty but the problems persist.
They are the same. It only operates intermittently or if I squeeze it tight. Then sometimes it's ok. This one is only a month old and battery is fine.
Obviously there is an issue and it's annoying as I use it as a preamp and I can't always use the volume controls etc.
Does anyone else have these issues? I'm going to contact once again my retailer but I may not get any better luck. I hope RME is looking into QC with this remote. I paid 2000$ Canadian and this is a vital item for proper operation.
Any suggestions??

2 (edited by Muffin 2023-03-02 17:39:09)

Re: Remote issues

Nope, no problems at all for about two years owning the ADI-2 DAC FS.

That said, I only use the remote a few times a week as this is for desktop usage where I prefer using the knobs and buttons on the DAC. The remote is handy during video calls to discreetly change the volume, or for various testing.

mmacphee2 wrote:

Hello
They are the same. It only operates intermittently or if I squeeze it tight. Then sometimes it's ok. This one is only a month old and battery is fine.
Obviously there is an issue and it's annoying as I use it as a preamp and I can't always use the volume controls etc.
Does anyone else have these issues? I'm going to contact once again my retailer but I may not get any better luck. I hope RME is looking into QC with this remote. I paid 2000$ Canadian and this is a vital item for proper operation.
Any suggestions??

"Credit card" -flat model with short-stroke keys and button-cell -battery is prone to practical little mechanical problems. It can´t be very good in convenience and reliable operation -wise, as mechanically handled  controller device, if its like that.   

Just replace it with universal remote controller with normal mechanics. As we discussed before

https://forum.rme-audio.de/viewtopic.php?id=36571

Take the remote apart - it's not hard, just lever between the infrared cover and the top half of the case. Don't worry, it goes back together easily.

Bend the two battery contacts on the PCB - one is a metal plate, the other is a spring - so they make a firmer connection with the battery. Just a few millimetres is OK, you can always go back and repeat the process.

Problem solved.

I dread to think the number of owners that are swapping out perfectly good batteries and otherwise OK remote controls.

mediummanting wrote:

Take the remote apart - it's not hard, just lever between the infrared cover and the top half of the case. Don't worry, it goes back together easily.

Bend the two battery contacts on the PCB - one is a metal plate, the other is a spring - so they make a firmer connection with the battery. Just a few millimetres is OK, you can always go back and repeat the process.

Problem solved.

I dread to think the number of owners that are swapping out perfectly good batteries and otherwise OK remote controls.

I should NOT have to keep doing this in the first place! For such a great piece of gear, RME needs to fix this problem. It's very cheap!

mmacphee2 wrote:

I should NOT have to keep doing this in the first place! For such a great piece of gear, RME needs to fix this problem. It's very cheap!

You can fix this in minutes at no cost. You could have done it in the time it's taken you to whinge on this forum. Obviously it's not ideal, but the world isn't ideal.

The DAC sounds great, I can forgive the poor quality remote.

8 (edited by ebmmbongo 2023-03-02 20:44:09)

mmacphee2 wrote:

Hello
Any suggestions??

2000 cad for what you have previously been deliriously happy about sond wise, I'd say that is amazing bang for your buck. Sure RME could source a better remote, but then the price would go up, so regarding cost efficiency for you it makes a whole lot of sense to just get one of those multi remotes you have been told about.
Or why not follow the tips you are getting re how to make sure the battery makes good contact when inserted to the remote:-)

Babyface Pro FS, MSI GS66, Studio One

My ADi-2/4 Pro SE‘s remote works like a charm:

• From any reasonable distance.
• Don’t even need to point on ADI-2.
• In fact it works in every direction, even away from ADI-2, all over the room, better than any other remote I have.
• It feels quite sturdy and weighty for it’s size, by no means “flimsy” like someone posted here somewhere.

Troubleshooting:

• Just to be sure, replace the battery for a fresh one, to positively exclude this.
• Maybe try if the problem is distace-related.
Start very close, then work away.
• Sometimes in rooms there is a source of IR that covers remote’s signals.
E.g. at some sun-positions my cable-receiver occasionally thinks I pressed a certain button.
Move ADI-2 to another room to check for such.
• If you have a programmable remote, counter-check with it.

KaiS wrote:

• In fact it works in every direction, even away from ADI-2, all over the room, better than any other remote I have.
• It feels quite sturdy and weighty for it’s size, by no means “flimsy” like someone posted here somewhere.

Troubleshooting:

• Just to be sure, replace the battery for a fresh one, to positively exclude this.
• Maybe try if the problem is distace-related.
Start very close, then work away.
• Sometimes in rooms there is a source of IR that covers remote’s signals.
E.g. at some sun-positions my cable-receiver occasionally thinks I pressed a certain button.
Move ADI-2 to another room to check for such.
• If you have a programmable remote, counter-check with it.

Lucky you!! The battery is new.
Even if I stand in front of it I have to squeeze it most of the time. Obviously it's the contacts or something but 2 in a row is frustrating.
Anyways I'll contact my dealer again but maybe they won't give me another.
I've tried everything

12 (edited by KaiS 2023-03-03 07:39:13)

mmacphee2 wrote:

Are you sure - did you try a fresh one or can you measure the voltage?
Should be 3.3 V at least.

Looking at the remote’s front through iPhone’s camera I can see a soft purple light when pressing a button, about same brightness as from other remotes.

This way you can even check if squeezing harder really makes a difference.
Squeezing unnecessary hard all the time can kill the buttons.

mmacphee2 wrote:

Even if I stand in front of it I have to squeeze it most of the time. Obviously it's the contacts or something but 2 in a row is frustrating.
I've tried everything

Even possible ADI-2’s remote receiver isn’t fully working.

mmacphee2 wrote:

I've tried everything

Have you actually tried bending the contacts? It honestly will work. It's what happens when you squeeze it, but you don't have to squeeze it, because you've already achieved what needs to be done to get it to work reliably.

I went through the same rigmarole of new batteries and squeezing it, then realised all I had to do was simply bend the contacts. Now it's perfect. If it starts giving problems again, I know exactly what I need to do. It's the easiest fix you'll ever do and you'll kick yourself wishing you'd have done it earlier.

You're making a big deal out of something which needn't be. The solution is right there in your hands, stop your whingeing!

14 (edited by mmacphee2 2023-03-14 12:36:17)

Not sure who you think you are but I'm not whining!!! I was asking if this is normal.
Why would I have to continuously open a remote to fix it when it's new?? Obviously you are quick to judge!!
[Insult removed - Admin]

Thank you to others for your more interesting answers. Yes I had to return the remote and yes they found fault! So I'm on my third. [Insult removed - Admin]

15 (edited by john34 2023-03-17 11:34:52)

KaiS wrote:

Even possible ADI-2’s remote receiver isn’t fully working.

I am having a similar TEMPORARY problem with my adi2pro fs r. Sometimes it does not respond properly to remote commands be it from original remote or harmony elite. It then only i.e. raises volume just 0.5 db while you keep pressing volume up continuously.
Some minutes later it works perfectly normal for weeks.
I even sent the unit to rme. They could not find any defect and just reinstalled firmware.
The unit then worked ok for 3 months and startet acting up again now.
I do NOT think this has anything to do with the remote control as the problem is the same with any controller, but with the receiver.

You might have an interfering light source, like room lights, TV...

Regards
Matthias Carstens
RME

mmacphee2 wrote:

Not sure who you think you are but I'm not whining!!! I was asking if this is normal.
Why would I have to continuously open a remote to fix it when it's new?? Obviously you are quick to judge!!
Keep your dumb comments to yourself!

Thank you to others for your more interesting answers. Yes I had to return the remote and yes they found fault! So I'm on my third. Sorry to disappoint you dipstick!

You know what they say: you can lead a horse to water, but you can't make it drink.

MC wrote:

I can rule that out. When the problem occurred I even went under a blanket to see that it behaved erratically.

john34 wrote:
MC wrote:

I can rule that out. When the problem occurred I even went under a blanket to see that it behaved erratically.

Can we just all agree the current remote is substandard  quality and move on and assume RME will spec a higher quality remote from their vendor?  Their equipment pricing demands it, ie, “quality” across the board.

WY

CD Transport>optical>RME ADI-2 DAC FS(AKM)>XLR balanced >GLM software>Genelec Monitors 8340A

20 (edited by KaiS 2023-03-18 06:50:38)

yuhasz01 wrote:

Can we just all agree the current remote is substandard  quality and move on and assume RME will spec a higher quality remote from their vendor?  Their equipment pricing demands it, ie, “quality” across the board.

That does not coincide with my own experience, so I don’t think this can be generalized.

As expressed in my posting above I found the opposite to be true with the remote of ADI-2/4 Pro SE:

KaiS wrote:

Might be there are outliers or defective units my single sample experience can not cover.

And then warranty jumps in...getting a new remote through our channels should be no issue.

Regards
Matthias Carstens
RME

A new remote would be of no great benefit if the receiver is at fault.

23 (edited by KaiS 2023-03-18 12:43:53)

john34 wrote:

Then the same warranty applies to the ADI-2.

24 (edited by MstrC-117 2023-03-18 18:23:04)

Occasional non-responsive -remote button presses happen here too. They don´t happen often, but precice user notices them; "damn, ADI didn´t respond to that press." Next press it takes though, and then operation continues as usual, indefinitely.

I quess this is normal for hot running fully packed devices like ADI, IR-receiving random little hick-ups may occur in practice. They aren´t by no means a problem.

Less pedantic button pressers, etc multitasking mega-users, may not notice this at all.

Universal remote (One For All URC1280) improved general remote usability a lot in my case. It´s just better remote controller:

-better IR-transmit power, ADI responds clearly more reliably

-no short-stroke keys, more intuitive key arrangement, fully customisable

-no pain-in-the-ass CR2025 button-cell, but normal AAA/LR03 -batteries

-most of all not tripwired with sonic "suicide" buttons (balance, EQ, Loudness, B/T), awaiting for accidential presses, which cannot be disabled. Getting rid off them relieves usage stress a lot, from pedantic user like me. I can now use remote in relaxed manner, without stress of accidentially fucking up ADI´s settings.

KaiS wrote:
john34 wrote:

Then the same warranty applies to the ADI-2.

I know, been there. I am aware that rme is a very respectable company. Problem is that it‘s a temporary failure.
It is very unlikely to show up when unit is sent in. It usually works without a glitch for months before striking again.

After long time struggling with the remote...changing batteries, bending contacts redone any soldering on it...for me the solution was unexpected but very simple smile) Now the remote work as a charm even bouncing the ir from walls. The problem was under the foil stuck over contacts...it is an autoadezive foil that keep the metal tabs making contact on the graphite traces from the board. gently unglue that and wipe with isopropyl alcohol the metal pads and the graphite traces...will do magic. tell me if this solution resolved your problems smile